Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackwater Salmon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The owner of that video is a former member here.

The best time to go is from May onwards, May gets largish spring fish, while June,July and August get the grilse runs. Sept you have a change of meeting large Autumn fish mixed in with late grilse and residents.
    The season closes at the end of Sept and likely not to change any time soon.
    This year and last was pretty poor so I wouldnt go booking anything yet for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DoubleSpey

stylie wrote: »
    The owner of that video is a former member here.

The best time to go is from May onwards, May gets largish spring fish, while June,July and August get the grilse runs. Sept you have a change of meeting large Autumn fish mixed in with late grilse and residents.
    The season closes at the end of Sept and likely not to change any time soon.
    This year and last was pretty poor so I wouldnt go booking anything yet for next year.

A few years ago the season was extended, due to bad fishing conditions during the season. Just wondering, if it has been extended again.

If that was the case it would be extended to xmas :) I have never seen it so low for such sustained periods of time. You wouldnt get your knees wet crossing most of it.

And I think the netsmen would be in uproar if the anglers got an extension to the season, still I believe we should be starting later in the year, April and finishing a week or two into Oct.

If that was the case it would be extended to xmas :) I have never seen it so low for such sustained periods of time. You wouldnt get your knees wet crossing most of it.

And I think the netsmen would be in uproar if the anglers got an extension to the season, still I believe we should be starting later in the year, April and finishing a week or two into Oct.

it should be extended for catch and release only. and the net guys cant say a word because they kill everything, and sure some of them are up the river right now netting, no one there to stop them.

How many salmon did you catch this year on the blackwater?How many last year?

I see your man in the video got kicked off this forum for being outspoken?

Here is a video of some lads netting.

How much do you think those fish are worth if some tourist paid to fly fish for them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htCn9U-0nFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

+1 for that the salmon are running later and later every year, numbers dont seem to be increasing even though the season ends in september and a lot of fish are running up the river after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

How was your last week on Corrib in September?
    I hear there was a certain kiwi b@stard didn't get in contact with you...
    He was across the mexican border at the time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

salmon dont know the date...so if they enter the rivers after the closing date well thats just the way it always has been. the season runs from 1st of feb to 30th of sept thats 8 months to catch 10 salmon!!!! i think thats long enough for the munster blackwater. if you cant catch them in eight months well...............i am told golf and bowls are pleasant.....

Hey Double Spey Do we know you?????????????;););)

Flygimp wrote: »
    How was your last week on Corrib in September?
    I hear there was a certain kiwi b@stard didn't get in contact with you...
    He was across the mexican border at the time.

I heard that poaching kiwi git got the Corrib slam and I dont mean the dose he caught south of the border, I heard it can get real itchy and stingy :)
    Fishing was quite bad, didnt seem to be a fish in the lake tbh...very few jumping not what you normally see at the end of the season...and harldy a trout coming to the fly, dap or troll. And what trout did rise were small and uninterested...I did keep two but after a bad couple of years around Oughterard I think I might try lower in the lake next year...
    Maybe I might bother that poxy kiwi plonker after his goneria has cleared up some of his duck fly hotspots...
    salmon dont know the date...so if they enter the rivers after the closing date well thats just the way it always has been. the season runs from 1st of feb to 30th of sept thats 8 months to catch 10 salmon!!!! i think thats long enough for the munster blackwater. if you cant catch them in eight months well...............i am told golf and bowls are pleasant.....

Hey Double Spey Do we know you?????????????

I think your right IronBlue...its a bit more subtle than his previous incarnations on other Forums but there is a certain tone to the post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

OH FFS. Does it ever end! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

DoubleSpey wrote: »
    Here is a video of some lads netting.

How much do you think those fish are worth if some tourist paid to fly fish for them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htCn9U-0nFA

That's sicking to watch, those fookers need a kick up the hole. Is this legal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's real simple for these guys.
    The money is there. If nobody stops them they will take it until it's (the fish) is gone.

They work on the basis that observers on average do nothing.
    Never do nothing. If you do that you get to fish a river with nothing left in it.
    We have all experienced it, and we have all seen what hassling these thieves achieves.

Here is the maths:
    1000 salmon return to river.
    nets take 97% = 970
    anglers get to fish over 30,
    anglers take 20% = 6
    24 fish spawn to renew species for next generation.

IF Angler "A" chases and reports thieves/poachers with result of 10% reduction in their take, a modest result.
    nets now take 87% = 870
    anglers get to fish over 130, anglers take 20% = 26
    104 fish spawn to renew species

THIS IS NOT OBVIOUS UNTIL YOU WORK IT OUT:
    a 10% reduction in efficient netting increases anglers catch by 20/6 = 433%
    a 10% reduction in efficient netting increases spawning population for future by 104/24 = 433%

The giant and disproportionate increase in surviving fish is what beginners never expect. It's always worth hassling poachers and clipping their wings, even if you can't get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I see your point, but I think it's mad, it's the exact same thing as going down to the local river and netting that for trout...

Funny thing is, I wonder did the guy who recorded the footage report the incident?

I wonder did the guy who recorded the footage report the incident?

Is the video legal or illegal netting?

I mean I see a few fellas all the time in the summer down the quays in Cork netting it. I know who they are and apparently they have the licence to do that.

I don't know how these things (commercial netting laws) work if anyone can enlighten me.

SeaFields wrote: »

They look like commercial fishermen to me....i thought but not at all sure that some netting was allowed in tidal waters of the Blackwater? yes/no? anyone know?

OH FFS. Does it ever end! :eek:

what was wrong with me asking that question??????????

They look like commercial fishermen to me....i thought but not at all sure that some netting was allowed in tidal waters of the Blackwater? yes/no? anyone know?

I was thinking the same. Not sure how these things work tho. I think there were changes made when they did away with the drift netting.
    what was wrong with me asking that question??????????

It wasn't directed at you. I'm just hoping we don't start getting a raft of troll threads again under a psuedo-name if you're right and we do "know" that poster.

ok thanks

Estuarial commercial draft netting licenses go back centuries, and to be honest the rivers always used to produce enough fish to provide that harvest.

High Sea drift netting takes half grown salmon thousands of miles away from their home river, and being non-river selective can easily wipe out some rivers and leave others.

In-river netting is totally unjustifiable and is illegal with many similarities to shooting creatures held in a cage.

The drift netting is what did for Irish salmon so thoroughly, and genetically selected the smallest to survive swimming through the net meshes, producing the dwarf salmon now encountered in our rivers.

The video clips I watched look to be legal operators, but there were other links of illegal nets beside them.

coolwings wrote: »
    genetically selected the smallest to survive swimming through the net meshes, producing the dwarf salmon now encountered in our rivers.

A bit off topic but another factor for smaller salmon is the rise in sea temperatures caused by global warming. Increased sea temperatures forces changes to the direction of currents in the north Atlantic. This disperses smolts away from their traditional feeding grounds to less productive areas and many do not thrive or even survive and therefore fail to return to their native rivers of which the majority do.

this draft netting lark should be stopped...its like shooting ducks in a barrel.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

A bit off topic but another factor for smaller salmon is the rise in sea temperatures caused by global warming. Increased sea temperatures forces changes to the direction of currents in the north Atlantic. This disperses smolts away from their traditional feeding grounds to less productive areas and many do not thrive or even survive and therefore fail to return to their native rivers of which the majority do.

I heard Ken Whelan on "Mooney Goes Wild" last Friday talking about his recent research trip to Greenland. If you can get it on RTE player it's well worth a listen. There are signs apparantly that feeding conditions on the Greenland coast have improved. According to Dr.KW other atlantic salmon feeding grounds such as the Baltic continue to deteriorate. Fingers crossed, hopefully the marine survival problems are abating. A few other interesting facts such as salmon feeding on snails if they reach the grounds too early. Also salmon feed right into the Greenland coast much mure so than previously thought.

Legal nets went back on the Blackwater this year. Don’t know if the video is legal or not.

don't know!who do you think i am? :confused:

TimMac wrote: »
    +1 for that the salmon are running later and later every year, numbers dont seem to be increasing even though the season ends in september and a lot of fish are running up the river after this.

Because the fish are stuck in the estuary they are being slaughtered, tag or no tag.

The fish are running late because of man made climatic change. The season needs to be moved.

What temperature was it today. HEHEM

I was wondering the same thing they seem to know they were being recorded and werent too bothered, which suggests to me that they have netting rights on the river. It looks like an estuary and there are netting right s in the estuary of the majority of rivers.

One river I fish bought out the rights to net the estuary of the river a few years ago & this year there has been a huge increase in salmon running.

on the other end of the scale fisheries officers found 36 salmon heads on a bank a few miles up another river in September.

Does anyone know is there a closed season for drift netting???

I mean I see a few fellas all the time in the summer down the quays in Cork netting it. I know who they are and apparently they have the licence to do that.

I don't know how these things (commercial netting laws) work if anyone can enlighten me.

TimMac wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a closed season for drift netting???

Drift netting is gone isn't it? That's why our licences fees doubled. To buy out the drift nets. I don't know about that estuary netting tho...maybe just during the summer?

Legally its gone.
    Funny how there are net marked fish in the rivers, isn't it?

coolwings wrote: »
    Legally its gone.
    Funny how there are net marked fish in the rivers, isn't it?

Very true unfortunately. And don't forget the basking shark washed up in Kerry a couple of summers ago tangled up in a drift net.

Im open to correction but I think its still in operation on some rivers where the people doing it refused to be bought out.
    Drift netting is gone isn't it? That's why our licences fees doubled. To buy out the drift nets. I don't know about that estuary netting tho...maybe just during the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

I heard that poaching kiwi git got the Corrib slam and I dont mean the dose he caught south of the border, I heard it can get real itchy and stingy :)
    Corrib slam from a Corrib slag...:)

Your right though the last week on Corrib was touch and go with the drop in Temps for both Trout and Pike on the fly.

Advertisement