Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering Jobs Perth and WA

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm a recent graduate and heading for Perth in the beginning of November.

I have 4 months site experience working with a contractor in the UK(pipelines). Very little I know.

I am looking for work primarily Perth and WA either on site or in design office.

Just wondering does anybody have any relaible information on what the jobs situation is like in this part of Australia at the moment?

Any links to prospective employers/recruiters or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

That experience is better than nothing. Anyway as a first step I would get in touch with the company you worked with in the UK, ask them to email you a reference saying you worked there 12 months. A good few of my mates have got work out there as engineers but getting in the door seems to be the trick. They are a parochial lot out there but get into a good crew and there is serious dollars to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Experience Required

Great advice. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Gardner

Plenty of work here man!

no shortage whatsoever! im working here in WA and we can get enough engineers especially ones with rail experience.

project manager is irish
    commerical manager is irish
    quantity surveyor is irish
    Project engineer is irish
    quality engineer is irish
    enviro guy is irish!

we are taking over Port Hedland lol

Gardner wrote: »
    Plenty of work here man!

no shortage whatsoever! im working here in WA and we can get enough engineers especially ones with rail experience.

project manager is irish
    commerical manager is irish
    quantity surveyor is irish
    Project engineer is irish
    quality engineer is irish
    enviro guy is irish!

we are taking over Port Hedland lol

what about GIS surveyors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neil_S

Hello, i am new to this, i have had a look and its seems to be a great source of information!

I have a few questions and it would be great if i could get some good info!

1. I had previoulsy applied for and been granted a WHV for Australia however circumstances changed and I never made it over. Am I eligible to apply for another WHV? Are there any implications of not using the first one in terms of the duration i can stay?

2. I am planning to base myself in Perth. Im a qualified Civil Engineer with 5 years experience 2 a resident engineer and 3 in a civil design consultancy. I am lucky enough to be in a job but it is time to move on! My question is are there many civils positons available at the moment? I am happy to work anywhere city or further afield. Im taking a punt leaving my job so any feedback would be great!

3. My aim would be to go over on a WHV and work hard to get sponsered. Are there any engineers out there at the moment who have been through the process and is this the best approach?

Sorry if im asking questions that have been asked before, but i would really like some up to date info! Hope someone here can help me out! I cant wait to get some sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Ok I have close to 5 years experience (draughting civil and structural) and have performed site surveys.would I have a chance in finding a job in wa I am currently in Melbourne and it seems light on the ground. The ideal role I be looking for would be surveying but not picky. Any help would be brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neil_S

johnnyc wrote: »
    Ok I have close to 5 years experience (draughting civil and structural) and have performed site surveys.would I have a chance in finding a job in wa I am currently in Melbourne and it seems light on the ground. The ideal role I be looking for would be surveying but not picky. Any help would be brill

Alright Johnny, hows things? Is there much civil engineering work around Melbourne these days? Im hearing mixed reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Not much crying out for road engineers and that sort

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gallagbr

I'm a recent graduate and heading for Perth in the beginning of November.

I have 4 months site experience working with a contractor in the UK(pipelines). Very little I know.

I am looking for work primarily Perth and WA either on site or in design office.

Just wondering does anybody have any relaible information on what the jobs situation is like in this part of Australia at the moment?

Any links to prospective employers/recruiters or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated

Im a recent Civil Eng graduate too with 6 months exp in Ireland heading out to Perth in April. How did you get on out there? would be interesting to know.

Advertisement