Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

solar panels with out the tank

• 07-10-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Just browsing as I have nearly saved enough money to get some solar panels in...

HAs any one every used a system like this before
    <SNIP>

or can any one offer me any advice on it. It seems to me you get your normal solar panel but with out the huge tank, which would be good if you lived in a small house. Or are you better just gettin the whole complete system

Mod edit: Do not link to a specific company on thread, it is a breach of the charter.

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

The point of solar is to maximise the the available energy give off by the sun during the day. So you want to collect as much heat as possible and store it for as long as possible at the highest temperature possible.
    By using a small DHW cylinder you will heat this very fast on a good day.
    One bath and it is all gone.
    The reason for the big cylinders with solar is to store all the hot water so you have a supply left for your shower/bath in the morning.
    The kit you are looking at does not provide a decent storage solution. It does not provide a heat dump for the excess heat that the panel will generate when the cylinder reaches temperature. It can do that quite fast although i do not know how good the retrofit solar elements are but for sure they are a massive compromise.
    I would suggest you work out your hot water needs on an average day then design a system that suits those needs. Buying the separate components allows you to do this without compromising.
    For that money you can have a complete kit more suited to solar input.
    If you have no room for a proper solar storage cylinder then maybe you need to reconsider but a twin coil solar store is a much better option.(IMHO)

Advertisement