Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constant blood monitoring machine?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Just wondering does any one know if it's possible to get fitted with a blood gluscose monitoring machine that monitors constantly? I find it so frustrating to do exercise & manage my levels. For instance, last night before I went on the cross trainer for a half an hour, my levels were 11. when I came off they were 2.7 :eek: I had to eat all the calories I had just lost!!
    another time I played a match. My levels started at 8, were 16 at half time & 22 when I came off pitch!! :confused: Just thought that maybe it would be handy to have something hooked to you that you could look at & see your levels dropping/increasing and control them better.. maybe I'm in cuckoo land here!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

It's so frustrating when you put some effort into getting a bit of exercise and then an hour later have to stuff your face to treat hypos:(

With regards to Continuous Glucose Monitors; your clinic should be able to give you some information about them. I know the HSE are clamping down on giving them out but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

If you are a private patients ask your consultant about them.

I personally think that the Health Insurance companies should cover some of the cost because they can be so helpful with controlling your blood sugars.

In the mean time; http://www.amazon.com/Diabetic-Athlete-Sheri-Colberg/dp/0736032711/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286445121&sr=1-2

The lady who wrote this book has Type 1 herself so she has a clue.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I did find when I started running bigger distances again after doing nothing for a while that my levels would sometimes do strange things and go up instead of down during/ afterwards.

There is some crazy explanation for it, but I can never remember how it all works properly, but if you've not got enough insulin in your system then your body will not be able to convert the blood sugar levels to energy, so takes the energy from elsewhere, so then your bg level goes up. The time of day that your doing different exercise could be having an effect and how much basal you have floating around your system from the last shot of that.

Advertisement