Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I bring the Sky dish with me?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Im moving out over the weekend. Should i bring the sky dish when im going. There was no sky when we moved in 18 months ago. There is a dish in our new house. I did pay for the installation. If i take it with me am i being a bit mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

Are you from Cavan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well you probably could, but it won't do you much good, will it?

I thought (could be wrong) for a sky dish to work there's cables and a box involved as well. So really you'd need to bring the box too. And they won't work in another house, unless you open an account for that house and the cabling is in place.

If you're doing this to prevent anyone else using Sky in that house, then yes you're being a bit silly...the easier thing to do would be to ring Sky, tell them you're moving and close the account. Then whoever comes in next won't be able to use it without ringing Sky and opening a new account themselves. Otherwise money will just keep being taken out of your account to pay for it. Taking the dish probably won't change that!!And the new people in the house won't be able to do communicate with Sky on it, because they insist on speaking to the account holder.

So rather than going around with a useless dish under your arm, ring Sky and tell them you're closing the account and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

demakinz wrote: »
    Im moving out over the weekend. Should i bring the sky dish when im going. There was no sky when we moved in 18 months ago. There is a dish in our new house. I did pay for the installation. If i take it with me am i being a bit mean?
    do!

its yours, and even if you don't want sky in your new place, you can use the dish and the box for free to air satellite, like BBC+ITV etc.
    You can run the cables yourself, cable is not too dear, or you could pay an indie installer to set you up.

If you do go with sky again and self install, you don't get stuck on a one year contract, and you dont need your phoneline plugged in, either.
    edit: I notice you say you have a dish in the new house, give the dish and reciever to a friend, it's a recession afterall. Or offer it to your landlord for a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I think i will take it down even if i don't need it now i might in the future. In fairness i did pay for it.
    No im not from Cavan but we are just as mane in Offaly:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You can always use it for free to air. No need for an active subscription. Just run cable from the dish to the box and remove the card before switching it on.

If you don't have the patience to find a decent signal then leave it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Would taking the dish down leave damage to the outside of the property?

Would taking the dish down leave damage to the outside of the property?

No it on the side of an apartment block. All that would be left would be a few screw holes which i can fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Were you renting and now moving out, or did you own the property and are you selling it?

Because if you are selling the property, you would want to check with your solicitor as to whether it's included as part of the property being sold.

Were you renting and now moving out, or did you own the property and are you selling it?

Because if you are selling the property, you would want to check with your solicitor as to whether it's included as part of the property being sold.

Its rented and were moving to a rented house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There doesn't seem to be any reason to leave it behind. Unless the owner of the apartment wants to reimburse you for the installation cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah - bring it with you. The new apartment has sky but the one after that might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The Sky dish is your property so yes, bring it with you. You can always use it to pick up free to air channels or even sell it on if you already have one in your new place.

Landlords wont give the deposit back now because were leaving two weeks before our lease is up even though they said it was fine. They had a couple moving straight in after us. Now they have pulled out and the landlords are keeping our deposit because of lose of rent.

Im f@#ing raging now because we were perfect tenents. We did everything that was asked of us. We got a shining reference (the best our new estate agent has seen in a long time) and the apartment looks even better now than when we moved in 18months ago. We even did a bit of painting and a few small repairs because im out of work and was bored. Cant believe how spiteful people can be.:mad::mad::mad:.sorry rant over.

I will be definitely taking the dish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

djimi wrote: »
    The Sky dish is your property so yes, bring it with you. You can always use it to pick up free to air channels or even sell it on if you already have one in your new place.

+1 Its yours, bring it and the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

demakinz wrote: »
    Landlords wont give the deposit back now because were leaving two weeks before our lease is up even though they said it was fine. They had a couple moving straight in after us. Now they have pulled out and the landlords are keeping our deposit because of lose of rent.

Im f@#ing raging now because we were perfect tenents. We did everything that was asked of us. We got a shining reference (the best our new estate agent has seen in a long time) and the apartment looks even better now than when we moved in 18months ago. We even did a bit of painting and a few small repairs because im out of work and was bored. Cant believe how spiteful people can be.:mad::mad::mad:.sorry rant over.

I will be definitely taking the dish now.

They've only lost two weeks rent - they can only keep that much of your deposit.

You should get it in writing when a landlord agrees to let you out early.

Advertisement