Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought this

Options
  • 07-10-2010 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

130171.jpg

A Strida.

belt drive, disc brakes, whacky or what, folds like a buggy.

I got fed up with the 25 minute walk from the Dart to and from work every day and had been on the look out for a folder. Trying it out today, see how much time it saves. Got it for €90 on gumtree.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's a mad looking yoke. What's it like to ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting.

Biased view here:

"Strida: Strida's are lightweight and compact. However they are uncomfortable, and have a bad reputaion for durability. They are a good option for inner city bikers that do not have far to ride. Our mini is more comfortable, very durable, 8sp drivetrain, and costs less than a Strida."

According to Strida it has a 95kg weight limit.

Cheap enough here, in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

It's "interesting" to ride, turns very sharp. Taking it to work today on the Dart so i'll report on it tomorrow.

Just saw the name Baoer on the stem, according to dougle it's made in China and it has 110kg limit. Won't take long to find out what it's made of.

Lumen, how did you know I am of the hm larger variety of cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

trad wrote: »
    how did you know I am of the hm larger variety of cyclist?

Wasn't making any assumptions, just thought the weight limit was interesting!

Most bike I've looked at have weight limits. Top of my wish list is a cannondale badboy8 but seeing as it's made for Americans there's no weight limit. I'll be glad of the extra 15 kgs this one has over the strida version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Most bike I've looked at have weight limits. Top of my wish list is a cannondale badboy8 but seeing as it's made for Americans there's no weight limit. I'll be glad of the extra 15 kgs this one has over the strida version.

Actually the bad boy 8 has never been available officially in the US. Euro only as far as I know. Great bike though.

Brought it to work yesterday. Wasn't sure about saddle height so had adjusted it before I left. Rode it from the dart to work. It's interesting to ride, turns very short and the brakes too responsive. Got as far as work and the saddle began to slide.

Took the saddle ensemble apart this morning. Apparently it sits on a pair of 3mm pins and clamps like jubilee clips hold it in place. I'm replacing the pins with larger diameter ones (one is missing) and I'm going to replace the clamps with more sturdy ones. I had read some where of saddle steer, now I know what they were talking about. All in all it should do what I wanted it to do, reduce my travelling time to and from work by about 15 mins each way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All in all it should do what I wanted it to do, reduce my travelling time to and from work by about 15 mins each way.

Good to hear, thats a nice shaving each day to be honest

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good to hear, thats a nice shaving each day to be honest

I've just discovered the joys of the 22.30 Dart as opposed to the next one which I always got at 23.10 if I get out of work early enough.

Advertisement