Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloe Gin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

Hi emc2
    Just saw your image of the glass of slow gin... thats the exact colour of the slow gin i made.... since i don't drink gin i am wondering what it tastes like. Would you mind telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kathleenl wrote: »
    Hi emc2
    Just saw your image of the glass of slow gin... thats the exact colour of the slow gin i made.... since i don't drink gin i am wondering what it tastes like. Would you mind telling me.
    Why don't you just try a bit? If you don't like 'normal' gin, don't worry, it tastes absolutely nothing like that. My wife hates gin but loves sloe gin .. it's more like a liqueur really.

Hi Alun
    I am going to have to go and make the stuff again... dam... my family thought that i was loopie after making the last batch, all that bottle shaking and turning.. ah well as they say 'in for a penny as a pound'.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I made some last year but didn't really like it myself - it is a bit too sweet and syrupy for my taste. Has anyone made a sloe gin that is not overly sweet?

I also made a sloe vodka, which I thought was better! (Same recipe, substitute vodka for gin).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem is you need a good amount of sugar to make it palatable at all. Have you ever eaten a raw sloe :eek: ?

What ratios did you use for yours?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think this is more suited to the Home Brewing forum :).

Hi Faith.
    It couldn't go to home brewing as we are not brewing the gin/vodka. What we are doing is adding to an alcohol rather than making the whole thing from scratch.;)

Hi Muckety
    Alun is right regarding the taste of a slow... my god they can be sour. Thats why so much sugar is used. But if you like sour things then you could use a little less sugar, or when its made you could dilute it down a little with some more gin.

Advertisement