Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I had an optional run down for yesterday evening but decided against it. As a result I was that bit fresher this morning. I still hit the snooze button once though so didn't get the full use of the maximum possible 80min swim window before work. I literally have to be waiting at the door for that!

Tuesday am: Long swim set (LC)
    I've done a few 4km sets now and after the 10*400 I was comfortable enough at the distance. So, I considered a different approach. Finishing it faster than I start it. To do it on a set of 10*400 or something similar you would have to gradually drop the RTs or increase the pace. Thats too much thinking for 7am for me. Instead I drew up a plan of increasing sets of shorter rep distances and tightening RTs as I go.
    The plan
    800m off 15:00
    4*400m off 7:15
    6*200m off 3:30
    8*100m off 1:45
    The idea was to have roughly 10-15 secs rest for 8 and 4s and 5-10 secs rest for 2s and 1s. So starting at 1:50/100m pace and finishing at 1:35/100m pace. Definitely my most ambitious swim set yet.
    Actual
    800m off 15:00
    4*400m off 7:15
    6*200m off 3:30
    2*100m off 1:45

Overall it was a good session but I ran out of time to get it done. I'm not sure how I would have fared with the rest of the 100s though as I was working pretty hard on the 200s. The 800 felt lovely, long smooth strokes and warming up gradually. I hit a nice rhythm on the 4s but the drop in rest time for the 200s was really significant. I really had to shift up a gear for them. I had tired by the time I hit the 100s and knowing I was out of time I kind of thrashed them. I liked the session and have unfinished business just to complete it before work! Next week is a recovery week though so it will have to wait. I hate not finishing workouts. The desire to do the very same session the next day requires taming. To tie me over I'm pencilling in a 3.8k TT next week :)
    Time: 1:08
    Dist: 3,800m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

You are in flying form dude. Not just in the swimming, but in the biking and running too. I can't get over your HR of 148 or so for 4:15 or 4:20/km, great to hit that pace over a long run and on such a low HR. Great training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Macanri wrote: »
    You are in flying form dude. Not just in the swimming, but in the biking and running too. I can't get over your HR of 148 or so for 4:15 or 4:20/km, great to hit that pace over a long run and on such a low HR. Great training.

And know one of the classical signs of overtraining?

Macanri wrote: »
    Jaysus I wasn't going that quick. LSRs are generally in the 4:35-4:45 region at the moment.
    tunney wrote: »
    And know one of the classical signs of overtraining?
    Eh? Want to elaborate? Overtraining is an interesting topic though, maybe worth a thread. I'll admit having chat with myself lately about reining some sessions back in

Jaysus I wasn't going that quick. LSRs are generally in the 4:35-4:45 region at the moment.

Eh? Want to elaborate? Overtraining is an interesting topic though, maybe worth a thread. I'll admit having chat with myself lately about reining some sessions back in

getting dangerously close to a useful discussion here. I'd expect the mods to delete the thread quickly....

Supressed HR is a classicaly sign of overtraining, albeit its one that comes a little too late.

When training properly I use HRV and if that dips and stays dipped for two straight days I'll pull sessions until it gets better. Monday was a huge dip, was ready to back off for ages, and it then rebounded hugely Tuesday and this morning so I can hammer away a while more :)

Once O/T happens properly though recovery can be in the weeks if not months.

Oh and it's actually 1:1 on the Tunney comments thingy.
    You were right about not get injured in your first year.
    I was right about your coach last year :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday pm: Medium Z2/3 run
    The plan was to just run on feel at the higher end of my base zone. So I did that and only looked at the watch at the end. I put on the iPod also as I rarely do to distract me from checking the garmin when it beeped. The first hour was a dance mix with Carl Cox, an old favourite, for a finish so I pushed the cadence. I felt comfortable but knew I was in Z3 on hills. I pulled back a little in the last 20 mins with some slower RnB beats in my ear. It was wet and windy out but cool also so the layers I had on were probably a bit heavy. I had to stop once to tie a shoe lace with 15 mins to go and I never really recovered my rhythm. The last km was uphill and into the wind so a bit of a slog. Overall the pace was 4:17/km, hr 156. Too quick and hr too high, so I overestimated it :rolleyes:
    Time: 1:26 + stretch
    Dist; 20.07km

Wednesday am: Group swim session (LC)
    Back down a lane this morning and cruised on some feet for most of it. It was a regular enough set with 4*50m hard dotted about. The Coach spotted me in the group and had me lead out the last set. I kicked too hard off the wall and immediately cramped up for my sins. For a finish the coach had us trying to scull on our back with our feet out in front of us! After about 10 frustrating attempts at trying to move forward and keep my legs from sinking to the floor I just did some easy breast stroke. What in the bejeesus the purpose was I don't know :confused:
    Time: 1:05
    Dist: 3,100m

Some ramblings…
    Ok, I’m at an interesting place with training. It’s generally going well. Some key training objectives such as getting the swim up to 4k and the long run up to 2.5hrs have been achieved, as well as adapting to the top lane in the pool and improving the run cadence to 88-90. That said I am dropping back to a slower swim lane more regularly and will be dropping the run pace on some runs quite a bit. The reason is due to the increased volume of training and making sure I have good energy for key sessions. The only training objective outstanding for now is a 5 hour bike. I just haven’t been out on the road enough. The 2 key sessions for this block of training was a 5hr/1hr brick and a 3.8km timed swim. I’m hoping to knock both of these off over the next week or so.

getting dangerously close to a useful discussion here. I'd expect the mods to delete the thread quickly....
    LOL
    Supressed HR is a classicaly sign of overtraining, albeit its one that comes a little too late.

When training properly I use HRV and if that dips and stays dipped for two straight days I'll pull sessions until it gets better. Monday was a huge dip, was ready to back off for ages, and it then rebounded hugely Tuesday and this morning so I can hammer away a while more :)
    Sorry but whats HRV? I get a sense of what you are getting at though. I've posted a couple of days ago about the body's warning signs and soon after feeling the need to rein it back in. I have a recovery week coming up and I intend to make full use of it :) Although the reining in has already started mentally
    Once O/T happens properly though recovery can be in the weeks if not months.
    Have you first hand experience and if not, any articles you might suggest?
    Oh and it's actually 1:1 on the Tunney comments thingy.
    You were right about not get injured in your first year.
    I was right about your coach last year :)
    Fair enough. I will get you on the sub 1:10 f/s comment some day though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have you a target time in mind for your race yet? Sub 10hr/10.5hr;)

To be honest anything slower than 9:45 (provided her gets to the start line) would be a failure in my eyes for MCOS, reckon his unspoken goal is closer to 9:15.

LOL

Well to be fair this is the only thread I following on ART. The rest of it really has gone to the pits. No discussion, no information, nothing allowed, everything stifled. The dead sea anti-pattern and all that.
    Sorry but whats HRV? I get a sense of what you are getting at though. I've posted a couple of days ago about the body's warning signs and soon after feeling the need to rein it back in. I have a recovery week coming up and I intend to make full use of it :) Although the reining in has already started mentally

Heart Rate Variablity. The difference in time between beats of your heart. A well rested, fit, heart does not beat with a constant gap between beats. The more overtrained you are the more regular it is. By monitoring your HRV you can graph your slide into over reaching and stop it before it becomes over training.
    Have you first hand experience and if not, any articles you might suggest?

Me overtrained. Never. Was one of the reasons that I got a coach. Recovery is slow and involves lots of rest. Jellies may or may not be required. I've also suffered from adrenal problems which are a pain too. Best to avoid them as well. OOOOOOHHHHHH medical advice, or rather something plain useful, I can get into this off board if interested, you know my address. Best to avoid these problems.
    Fair enough. I will get you on the sub 1:10 f/s comment some day though ;)

I'm sure you will. You swim short course right ? :)

• Advertisement

To be honest anything slower than 9:45 (provided her gets to the start line) would be a failure in my eyes for MCOS, reckon his unspoken goal is closer to 9:15.

Nice that you two have such faith in me, but Tunney you are having a laugh there right? Its my first IM, self coached and only doing tri 2 years. Marthon pb of 3:27 and longest ever bike just a shade over 4 hours :o Even the best make silly mistakes, like running a giddy 'i just smacked the bike' 20secs/km faster than planned race pace for the first 10k of their first IM Marathon and paying for it ;) There is so much about it that scares the sh!t out of me but I tell you what I'll sleep on it and post some provisional split targets up here tomorrow. They will be very very provisional as there is so much for me to learn, so many training objectives to hit and as you say most of all get to the start line healthy. Oh and most I've been on the TT set up is an hour and a bit. I have to get a fit done too. No SRMs, zipp900 or the like for me!
    Heart Rate Variablity. The difference in time between beats of your heart. A well rested, fit, heart does not beat with a constant gap between beats. The more overtrained you are the more regular it is. By monitoring your HRV you can graph your slide into over reaching and stop it before it becomes over training.
    Interesting and how do you monitor that? Thats a bit sciency aint it. I've noticed the feel of it I guess. Where obviously my base fitness has improved and the pace I seem to hold for a set hr is better. Although the RPE does not correlate. RPE is something I'm keen to get used to as I'm doing the IM with the garmin and we all know the potential for technology to go tits up when you actually need it!

Me overtrained. Never. Was one of the reasons that I got a coach. Recovery is slow and involves lots of rest. Jellies may or may not be required. I've also suffered from adrenal problems which are a pain too. Best to avoid them as well. OOOOOOHHHHHH medical advice, or rather something plain useful, I can get into this off board if interested, you know my address. Best to avoid these problems.
    I don't get the jellies, a chocoholic myself. I traded 3 cadburys mini eggs for 3 jelly tots with shotgunjunior the other day and man that was a bum deal :)

I'm sure you will. You swim short course right ? :)
    Nope long course :)

Wednesday pm: Steady turbo and easy run
    1:20 on the bike steady state, ie 0:49 Z1, 0:31 Z2. Overall hr 129, output 243w, cadence 93. I had planned a couple of blocks of 2 min steps but seeing as my legs felt wooden for 15mins I knew I'd blow a gasket if I attempted them. So I just kept steady and got through it. An easy run at 5:01/km in the rain afterwards to cool down. Nothing but a soaking and a lazy cadence to report on that. The session was just about getting it done.
    Time: 2:00
    Dist: 47.4km/7.95km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Looking forward to hearing those splits MCOS! :cool: My thoughts - Your marathon PB is a soft one based on what you've done since then. Your swim is in great shape and your bike is very strong too even if you haven't gone for more than 4 hours. What time would you need at Roth to get a slot on the Big Island for your AG?

Why didn't you ask the coach what the purpose of the sculling on your back legs first was for?

@tunney - how do you measure HRV and how often (daily, multiple times a day)?

Thursday pm: Lunchtime run Z1/2
    The purpose today was to try and maintain a cadence of 90 and keep the heart rate in the lower half of Z2. That I did. I am getting a bit frustrated with the Garmin spikes though so I have to pull the finger out and order one of those Polar ones. It will have to wait a few weeks as any available funds were used to book the flights to Roth at the weekend. It feels even more real now :D Overall it was a sluggish run on a muggy day. Nothing special. Monday is a day off completely and I'm looking forward to it.
    Time: 0:46
    Dist: 10.28km

Weight matters
    On the scales this morning and could scarcely believe what I saw.
    74.9kg!!
    I remember aiming for 76 for Budapest last year and got to 76.8. I was 84kg on the day of my first Tri in April 2009. Plus Lent is coming up and the bad habit are getting knocked on the head for real this time....
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing those splits MCOS! :cool: My thoughts - Your marathon PB is a soft one based on what you've done since then. Your swim is in great shape and your bike is very strong too even if you haven't gone for more than 4 hours. What time would you need at Roth to get a slot on the Big Island for your AG?
    Cheers pgibbo. Roth is a Challenge event ie: no connection to the WTC or the the big Island. I'll do an IM branded one some day if Roth doesn't kill me but to be honest I haven't even got one pencilled into my rough to-do list :)
    Why didn't you ask the coach what the purpose of the sculling on your back legs first was for?
    Because we were all too busy laughing at my attempts!
    @tunney - how do you measure HRV and how often (daily, multiple times a day
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Roth is a Challenge event ie: no connection to the WTC or the the big Island. I'll do an IM branded one some day if Roth doesn't kill me but to be honest I haven't even got one pencilled into my rough to-do list :)

Makes sense alright. I thought I read somewhere before that it was possible to qualify via the Challenge events. Maybe I'm losing it...:confused:

Nice that you two have such faith in me, but Tunney you are having a laugh there right? Its my first IM, self coached and only doing tri 2 years. Marthon pb of 3:27 and longest ever bike just a shade over 4 hours :o Even the best make silly mistakes, like running a giddy 'i just smacked the bike' 20secs/km faster than planned race pace for the first 10k of their first IM Marathon and paying for it ;)

Whats the point of the training then?
    You're either aiming for a great race or really really really overtraining.
    Many people go sub ten on their first attenpt.
    There is so much about it that scares the sh!t out of me but I tell you what I'll sleep on it and post some provisional split targets up here tomorrow. They will be very very provisional as there is so much for me to learn, so many training objectives to hit and as you say most of all get to the start line healthy.

Look forward to reading them - with justifications.

Oh and most I've been on the TT set up is an hour and a bit. I have to get a fit done too. No SRMs, zipp900 or the like for me!

Fits are good but given where you live there isn't anyone around. (Fernando is the only one to go to). SRMs - well you don't use power. Disc - get a 90 euro wheel cover.
    Interesting and how do you monitor that? Thats a bit sciency aint it. I've noticed the feel of it I guess.
    HRV - very pricey Polar watch. Or an iPhone/Android with a dongle. I use the 20 euro dongle for an iPhone
    Where obviously my base fitness has improved and the pace I seem to hold for a set hr is better. Although the RPE does not correlate. RPE is something I'm keen to get used to as I'm doing the IM with the garmin and we all know the potential for technology to go tits up when you actually need it!
    Or to be misinterpreted with fatigue.
    Pacing is a very tricky thing. I've lots of notes on pacing an IM, will mail them on.
    I don't get the jellies, a chocoholic myself. I traded 3 cadburys mini eggs for 3 jelly tots with shotgunjunior the other day and man that was a bum deal :)
    Chocolate is okay, jellies rock, Aoibhe was weighed recently at 12 months old she was the same weight as what I put on since Austria :)
    Nope long course :)

There goes that joke then.

@tunney - how do you measure HRV and how often (daily, multiple times a day)?

The two iconic races that I really really want to do are Kona and Roth. To win Kona is great, but you've not made it until you have won Roth.

HRV - once a day, same time, same environment, same stresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

HRV - very pricey Polar watch. Or an iPhone/Android with a dongle. I use the 20 euro dongle for an iPhone

Is it the ithlete dongle & app you use? Would this classify as a high end HRM? does it work with a garmin HR strap or would it need to be a polar type? (which I assume could be got separately on eBay)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Is it the ithlete dongle & app you use? Would this classify as a high end HRM? does it work with a garmin HR strap or would it need to be a polar type? (which I assume could be got separately on eBay)

I think tunney and ART have parted ways... might be best to mail him on... tunney at gmail.com

Right until I get them, this is now a
    SUB 10 IM log
    SUB 3 Marathon log

SUB 10
    It’s my first attempt at the Ironman Distance so my target splits are very provisional and somewhat enigmatic. I’ll state each and express the rationale behind it as well as the current and eventual probability of achieving it. Just to point out reference to 2 lads from my club who did it last year, Lad A 10:30 61/5:37/3:45 and Lad B 9:46 80/5:00/3:19. Lad A has been in the game a long time, first IM, strong swimmer and a grafter after that. Lad B is a slower swimmer but a very solid runner biker, also first IM but trains like a PRO. I’ve trained with Lad A in the pool and Lad B on the bike at some stage or other. Conditions last year were calm but hot.

Swim target: 65 mins – Not a bad target by most standards and leagues ahead of where I thought I’d be. Where I’m at? I can do 4k straight in about 70mins but that not leaving anything in the tank. I’m doing a 3.8k TT next week and 65 is the target. Its 1:42/100m and that is cruise pace for me right now. Add some attack, fresh system, a wetsuit, nice conditions and good navigation and I may get closer to 61/62. However that would cost too much energy. I can hang onto Lad A’s feet for a set but I’m red faced after it. Overall swimming has improved immensely and I’m happy with my fitness at the moment. Right now I think I could hit 65 with a strong effort. In July I hope to be able to hit it much more comfortably.

Transitions: 7 mins for T1 and T2. That’s about average for the 2 lads and I’m generally efficient in transitions.

Bike target: 5:15 – Getting into the mystery a bit now. On a good day I can ride with Lad B, however he spent a month or 2 up in the Alps training for it and this boosted not only his cycling, but sharpened the saw with his running too. We were even stevens in Kenamre in 2009 on the bike and run but he since taken off doing things like the Tour D’Etape and winning road races including the Limerick 10 mile Championships on St Stephen’s day. On the contrary, getting out for long weekend rides is my main obstacle. I won’t have any training camps under my belt either. I haven’t trained with Lad A on the bike but know the group he rides with. So, I think I have the ability to threaten 5 hours but having to leave enough in the tank for a marathon afterwards; 5:15 would be very satisfying. That of course this is provided I can get my nutrition right(currently no clue about it) and the whole thing isn’t into a headwind! The nutrition strategy is paramount. Both of the Lads got it right on the day. 34kmh doesn’t sound too scary though, provided I can stay down on the bars for most of it comfortably and my heart rate stays in check and the section is incident free. Now the caveat, I haven’t done near enough work yet to even justify this target and I’m banking on some solid long rides and hill repeats to get me in the shape I need to be in. Oh and some hill repeats and some er more hill repeats.

Run target: 3:30 – The BIG IF. This is truly enigmatic territory and rather ambitious. Yes my current open marathon pb of 3:27 is soft. I might be in more like 3:05 (optimistic) shape now based on the recent half Marathon and pace of long runs. I have been doing lots of smaller transition runs but best brick for now is 3hrs/30mins on the road and 4hr/20mins off the turbo. I have a big benchmark to hit this weekend, a 5/1 brick so I’ll know more about myself after that. I really don’t know about this one. Its 4:59/km and that’s easy pace right now. Lad A is a tough cookie but so is Shotgun and I’m sure I’d have him over the open Marathon distance. Lad B came into savage running form last year, running 36 off an OD bike. I went to school with him and played rugby with him also, I had never seen him so lean. There isn’t a hope in hell I’d hang with him over any distance so just putting myself in the same race as the 2 lads last year, I reckon I’d have come in somewhere in between. I’m not worried about the distance or how ropey I’ll feel at points, or how much it will hurt in the last 10k. As long as I can pace the swim and bike right, I’ll give myself every chance. Leg durability and cadence have improved. Cramps, pacing, hydration, and nutrition are the things I’m concerned about more. It’s really just a matter of putting the work in, executing the strategy as planned and some positive belief.

Weight is a factor also. I’ve set a race weight target of 73kg. Just because I remember going for rowing trials for the U23 squad many moons ago and when I hit 73 I lost a lot of power and thus performed poorly at trials. About 75.5 at the moment.

So 65/5:15/3:30 and 0:07 for transitions = 9:57. A chill went down my spine as I typed that.

SUB 3
    This is a bit more straightforward (as if). I figured I’d have to be in the ballpark of an 85 half to be in with a shout and I thought I’d hit that in August. The plan for Waterford was to go after 1:29 and see what was left. 85 in windy conditions was an early indicator I might just hit this one. So just a bit of momentum from the IM/holiday J and a dose of Marathon type training and I’m a lot more confident about this than I was at the start of the log. I should be a good 10kg lighter than the 3:27 effort of 2008 so 2:58 in Berlin = happy days.

If I don't make one or both this year... you can be damn sure I'll try again!

• Advertisement

Sub 10 is there for the taking. Sorry i put you on the spot:)

Thursday pm: Turbo FTP session
    The Plan
    2*20 min FTP work
    Actual
    Easy turbo, no intensity... meh
    Another crazy day at work, lucky to do anything at all :rolleyes:

Friday am: Group swim session (LC)
    Large posse down so had to hop into the top lane or the Coach would have given me one of his looks. The usual warm up and a tame enough main set
    2*(200/150/100/50)
    The RTs were fine but the pace was bang on 1:30/100 so it was hard graft really. I felt good though.
    The coach then dished out the LT set which incorporated lactic acid. Speed seems to be on his regular Friday menu now.
    Hence another early shower for me...
    Time: 0:58
    Dist: 2,600m

Friday pm: Easy run
    The plan was to run with Caz. Since I got home first I did a lap by myself at circa 4:40-4:50 pace the hooked up with Caz for an even easier lap circa 5:20-5:40 pace. Just nice to run with company for a change. The legs actually felt terrible for a start but loosened up eventually. Having said that, my quads and calves in particular need some down time soon.
    Time: 1:10
    Dist: 13.75km

Saturday am: Long brick (benchmark session)
    The plan
    Run off a 5hour bike
    Actual
    5:02 Bike 0:30 Run
    I figured I’d hook up with the cycling club to get the bulk of it done and they usually do a good climb too. It didn’t pan out quite like that. A 5 hour bike was new territory for me and I was going to learn stuff today that was for sure. Conditions started lovely and then turned cooler and quite windy after an hour or so. I worked with the large group up to 1:15 and felt rather sluggish. The pace was lively from the start and I felt it when I hit the front into the wind. My quads were just not fresh and as such it took more out of me that usual. At 1:15 I had to stop for a leek but as I got going again my chain came off. This was just before Kilmallock so by the time I got there the group had vanished. I had no idea which road out of the town they took. I knew some of them had intended to climb over the Ballyhouras mountains so I pressed on towards Ardpatrick in their general direction. I knew they would have turned off at some point but it was my first time in these parts and didn’t want to get lost. For about half an hour my legs felt awful and I seemed to struggle with the wind. I hadn’t even put 2 hours down and I was seriously doubting my energy. However I had been so busy just plugging away that I didn’t realise I had been steadily climbing all that time. I didn’t know where I was. I eventually hit a little town called Kildorrey which sat on top of a stinker of a hill. Finally a road sign I recognised Mallow! Crap. I knew the group would emerge from the hills somewhere near Charleville but I had gone on a bit further. By the time I reached Mallow I had 3 hours of wind and hills put down and was relieved to finally have a tail wind. It was 60km back to Limerick at this point, more than I had bargained for but sufficient to ensure I had to do at least 5hours. Once out of Cork the terrain levelled out and I was flying along. I did suffer a little from 4-5 hours, especially facing the now stiffened headwind for 15 mins before home. Overall speed was 30.4kmh, hr 132 so well inside my base zones and a decent pace considering the watch was running while stopped to do my business and fumble with the chain.
    Time: 5:02
    Dist: 153.55km

I took about 3-4mins of a transition and headed out for a shorter than intended run. I hit my target pace immediately and my heart rate was under 140 which was good. My neck and back were quite stiff from the bike and my legs did feel ropey. I was also hungry. I had to stop at traffic lights and again to tie my lace and both times I found it very difficult to get going again. I think this was more about nutrition than fitness. While the stats were ok, 4:50/km, hr 136, I was clearly out of juice, hence the decision to cut the run short. Overall I’m just pleased to get a solid long bike done and to be able to run off it :D
    Time: 0:30
    Dist: 6.21km

The learning part.
    I’ve now tuned into the nutrition side of things. I have read a good few articles today about it as well as good stuff on nutrition on the Australian Institute of Sport website. In a nut shell I did not take on enough for the bike ride today let alone enough to have the body ready to get running afterwards.

My intake today:
    8 fig rolls at 11.7g of CHO per biscuit = approx 94g CHO
    2 PB gels at 27g of CHO per sachet = 54g of CHO
    1 0.7l energy mix drink with approx 50g PSP22 mix
    1 0.7l water
    Total: 198g CHO, 1.4l fluid

Based on my weight and ballpark minimum estimate of 1.5g CHO per KG per hour plus what I know I lose in sweat, I needed 550g of CHO and approx 2.5l of fluid for the 5hrs on the bike today. That should be more for Roth since the output will be higher, the temperature much hotter and the small matter of running a marathon afterwards! So, basically I took on less than half of the nutrition I need and less than half the fluid. If I were to stick to the fig roll/gel strategy, I’d need more like 20 fig rolls and 11 gels! Since I have no intention of taking 4 gels an hour in Roth I have to experiment with this some more. The most basic lesson however was MORE FUEL!! There was no way I’d have done an LSR off the bike today :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

The learning part.
    I’ve now tuned into the nutrition side of things. I have read a good few articles today about it as well as good stuff on nutrition on the Australian Institute of Sport website. In a nut shell I did not take on enough for the bike ride today let alone enough to have the body ready to get running afterwards.

I was lucky enough a few years ago that my work meant I got to spend a day at the Australian Institute of Sport HQ in Canberra. WHAT A PLACE!! Olympic swimmers in the pool, Robbie McEwan's custom-made training bike in the lab, track athletes in the gym, altitude chambers, anything and everything you could think of laid on for the athletes. It was the year before the Beijing Olympics and they had set up a room for the road cyclists, with the course perfectly recreated, everything from surface to humidity. A big thing as you can imagine, though, was food, and they had mini-kitchens that were individual classrooms for the athletes, where they were taught how to read and interpret labels correctly (not just Australian labels but food labels the world over), and then taught what to cook and how to cook. An obvious practicality but one which gets overlooked in many places, I'd imagine.

Savage bike ride, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dude, savage spin - 5 hrs at 32km/ph when you take out the non moving bits and hills included to boot.

Really interested in the fuelling side of things. I know i totally neglect this. For yesterdays 3 hours spin i had one 750ml energy drink, 750ml water and nothing else (no banana or gels - just bad prep). I felt grand all the way but i plan to go longer and harder shortly.

I was however starving for the last hour and for few hours after despite eating a big lunch.

Would you have sany other links on stuff you read?

And can i ask you where does breakfast and what you eat the night before fit in (if out early)? I had big bowl of pasta night before and cereal, toast and jam half hour before my ride.

Do you use a recovery drink out of interest?

And any thoughts on how to get that much CHO into yourself? Banana's i guess as they are very CHO dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

its very easy to underestimate what fuel you need. Reading Racing Weight at the moment myself and from last night i took that i should really be taking an energy drink that contains some protein!

Great story there ronanmac. Would love to get into a place like that and see how they do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bambaata wrote: »
    Reading Racing Weight at the moment myself and from last night i took that i should really be taking an energy drink that contains some protein

Did you work out the carb/protein/fat percentages your diet should be made up of based on his formulas in the book? I found it very carb heavy.

i havent yet tbh. just read it, tagged the pages and have to go back on it. Just gave me an insight to something that might help.

Great pace on the bike yesterday in the windy conditions.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Would you have sany other links on stuff you read?

And can i ask you where does breakfast and what you eat the night before fit in (if out early)? I had big bowl of pasta night before and cereal, toast and jam half hour before my ride.

Do you use a recovery drink out of interest?

And any thoughts on how to get that much CHO into yourself? Banana's i guess as they are very CHO dense.

Hey kennyb3 here are some articles to browse including the link to tritalks wiki on the subject which is useful
    http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/nutrition/race_nutrition
    http://www.ironmate.co.uk/ironman-nutrition-tips.htm
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Nutrition-Tips-For-the-Ironman-Triathlon-Bike&id=2360577
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=438
    http://www.ironmanpower.com/nutrition/articles/406/Fueling_an_Ironman.aspx

Plus a whole bunch of links on the www.tritalk.co.uk wiki around this
    http://www.tritalk.co.uk/wiki/Ironman_Nutrition/

Yeah I use this recovery shake with LF milk after long rides and long runs. I'm thinking of using it after a long swim too. I used to use the PSP rego recovery which was grand but I find the High5 chocolate alternative lighter and generally more delicious :)

Yeah I generally take very little on any bike up to 3 hours as I do with runs up to 2 hours. Anything more though and nutrition comes firmly into play.

How to get more CHO onboard? Practice with different things. Its very individual. I like fig rolls and can take the gels no bother but there is a limit to how many. Lad A who I referred to in the long post a while back took a huge amount of gels on the bike and his stomach was in ribbons in the second half of the run. He surviced on coke and water and ran every step but spent several hours on repeated drips afterwards.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    its very easy to underestimate what fuel you need. Reading Racing Weight at the moment myself and from last night i took that i should really be taking an energy drink that contains some protein!

Great story there ronanmac. Would love to get into a place like that and see how they do it!!

Interesting, I'm about 50pgs into it and wondering what my best racing weight should be. As in what I should aim for. But protein in your race day nutrition :confused:

• Advertisement

i dont know about race day nutrition. I got from it that its good practice to have some during long sessions. Particularly if weight loss is on the agenda, which it is for me. Studies done show that a low kcal energy drink with some protein can be as good as a carb higher kcal drink. Im only half way into the section on it so need to read more, i didnt come across the amounts yet.

Heres an interesting google search result on the use of protein during exercise. I just skimmed it though - http://www.poweringmuscles.com/article.php?id=60

Edit: I'll re-read the section at lunch as i've just read it once so far, at night, half asleep and struggling to read (reading a book knocks me out, even when not tired!!)

Advertisement