Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

That a savage PB MCOS, considering it came off the back if base training and very little speed work (correct me if I'm wrong). Imagine what you would do if you trained specifically for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice PB there MCOS, especially after that ride on Saturday. Just goes to shpow that it's not all about track and tempo to get a PB.

How's the body after a tough weekend like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Macanri wrote: »
    Excellent running and great PB.

I'm loving all this colourful ink - you must have got a new set of markers for Christmas:D

I see you haven't being doing as much running as when I was racing up the table with you! Will I have to launch into another marathon programme to get you fighting for top run spot?:p - Although I'ld say JackyB is not far from top at the minute.
    LOL, I just use some colours on my own excel workbook weekly programme so following through here.
    Red = Run session
    Blue = Bike or Brick session
    Green = Swim session
    Purple = Yoga or Core or 'other'

Yep I just put the miles in over winter trying to build a running base but the wheels came off a little the last few weeks so I've taken the volume back down.
    That a savage PB MCOS, considering it came off the back if base training and very little speed work (correct me if I'm wrong). Imagine what you would do if you trained specifically for it!
    Nope not wrong, no speedwork done other than a sprinkling of tempo the last 2 weeks.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice PB there MCOS, especially after that ride on Saturday. Just goes to shpow that it's not all about track and tempo to get a PB.
    How's the body after a tough weekend like that?
    Ah yes no doubt my fitness level is just better so that got it for me, however with fresh legs and some speedy and tempo stuff done in training and it might have been a nicer PB :) The body is feeling it today alright. My finger tips are still cold and sore, quads need some down time and a good rolling out, and I just need to regain some energy from this week before the fun starts.

Many of you may have read it already (Book exerpt to jog the memory).

It’s from Matt Fitgerald’s racing weight and is rather basically modelled off the standard food pyramid. Basically it’s a way to score yourself on a spot check of your daily intake (being honest with yourself about serving size!) and having a quick reference as to how healthy your diet is. It’s probably something you will already know naturally but lots of us are numbers geeks and this is just a method to put a number on it. For instance on Friday I scored myself +14 out of a possible +29. Not bad. Basically ate my 5 a day fruit, some veg and all the other good stuff without any indulgence at all. Contrast to yesterday where I kicked off the day with a fry up, ate a half dozen buttered slices of fruit cake after the race and devoured half a carrot cake in the evening for a shameful score of -16 or so. It would have been way worse only I got an apple and some veg onboard!

I’m just posting here for some reference in case I give myself a score for my diet all of a sudden and ye wonder where that came from. I’ll create a thread for some discussion too if it matters at all.

Diet Quality Score
    Servings|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
    Fruit|2|2|2|1|0|0
    Vegetables|2|2|2|1|0|0
    Lean Protein <10%|2|2|1|0|0|-1
    Whole Grains|2|2|1|0|0|-1
    Low Fat Dairy|1|1|1|0|-1|-1
    Essential Fats|2|0|0|0|-1|-1
    Refined Grains|-1|-1|-2|-2|-2|-2
    Sweets|-2|-2|-2|-2|-2|-2
    Fried Food|-2|-2|-2|-2|-2|-2
    Full Fat Dairy|-1|-1|-2|-2|-2|-2
    Fatty Protein >10%|-1|-1|-2|-2|-2|-2

On another note of another Author, based on my half marathon time in January Mr McMillan had me on 38:26 for 10k. Well yesterday’s result was a little out of sync, albeit in a good way. However off 38:09 he predicts a 2:59:02 Marathon (with the right training and all that jazz). Hence in stark contrast to the beginning of this log where sub3 seemed like a big BIG reach, I’m quite optimistic about Berlin now given the time I have to get the training in for it after the IM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Yep I just put the miles in over winter trying to build a running base but the wheels came off a little the last few weeks so I've taken the volume back down.

My finger tips are still cold and sores.

How did the wheels come off a little?

Re the finger tips - frost bite - ouch, sounds serious and sore - Was that a self diagnosis? Have you been able to do anything to remedy it?

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    How did the wheels come off a little?

Re the finger tips - frost bite - ouch, sounds serious and sore - Was that a self diagnosis? Have you been able to do anything to remedy it?

Not bein gable to get the HR up on sessions, niggles starting to show, motivation loss, and apart from that some random 'lows' that the doc has me monitoring.

The finger tips (not all of them) are still tingly/sore I dunno how to describe it. A much lesser version of the feeling I had when I peeled my gloves off with my teeth last weekend. I can never remember feeling so cold (and I've fallen out of a boat into a river on a freezing morning!). Caz made the call, something to do with cells constricting themselves in your extremeties to prevent cold blood flowng back towards the heart :confused: I'll see how they are in a few days

Tuesday morning, a reluctant start to a good long swim
    The Plan: Straight 3.8k steady effort
    Actual: PB 63:25 :) avg 1:40/100m

I'm quite pleased about this as I didn't start out with a TT effort in mind. In fact I swam virtually even splits for the whole thing so it was as steady a long swim as I've done. I was a bit late down to the pool so figured I might just get 3k done. I didn't mind it was to be a long aerobic swim anyway and that would still have been the case. There were a few people I knew in the lane so I just played a mental game of cat and mouse which got me to 2k. I then more or less had the lane to myself and plugged away. I focused length, rhythm and trying to keep a high elbow, checking the clock now and then to ensure a steady pace. I actually felt pretty good and still had plenty of energy at 3k. In fact I only started to feel it at about 3.5k and I was almost done by then. I doubt I could go quicker but I finished comfortably and with energy in the tank so all good really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The finger tips (not all of them) are still tingly/sore I dunno how to describe it. A much lesser version of the feeling I had when I peeled my gloves off with my teeth last weekend. I can never remember feeling so cold (and I've fallen out of a boat into a river on a freezing morning!). Caz made the call, something to do with cells constricting themselves in your extremeties to prevent cold blood flowng back towards the heart :confused: I'll see how they are in a few days

You don't really need finger tips anyway ;)

Gruesome image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great swimming especially feeling fresh after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

The finger tips (not all of them) are still tingly/sore I dunno how to describe it. A much lesser version of the feeling I had when I peeled my gloves off with my teeth last weekend. I can never remember feeling so cold (and I've fallen out of a boat into a river on a freezing morning!). Caz made the call, something to do with cells constricting themselves in your extremeties to prevent cold blood flowng back towards the heart confused.gif I'll see how they are in a few days

As long as you dont have to do a Ranulph Fines on it you'll be ok;)
    Actual: PB 63:25 smile.gif avg 1:40/100m

I keep telling ya, a sub one hour IM swim for you:) Great swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great few days there MCOS.
    That bike ride report was great. The cold and wet on a bike is just torture
    Run PB - well if not for the long ride day before low that "life time best " will topple I'm sure.
    And that fecking swim today:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Not bein gable to get the HR up on sessions, niggles starting to show, motivation loss, and apart from that some random 'lows' that the doc has me monitoring.

Nasty. Well, look after yourself anyway.
    Great swimming by the way.

Tuesday turbo, how I long for the stretch in the evening
    It was a terrific evening but alas not enough light to take the bike out after work. I may have geared up with lights for an important session but it was just the bones of an hour easy spinning the small ring chatting with Caz while she whipped up a risotto. As soon as that was done I hopped off. A week off chocolate and biscuits. I found it tough today. 2 bowls of Alpen and peeling the marzipan layer off a slice of Christmas cake didn't even hit the spot :rolleyes:

Wednesday morning Yoga
    Again like lemmings they kept coming in the door. I'd swear on one pose where I had my leg tilted high behind me I felt a forehead on my foot! The class was packed again. Students back + good instructor. I lost my focus a couple of times having to move so that I didn't poke someone's eye. For some reason she was counting down the holds from 6 instead of 5 :confused: That extra second hurts!

mloc123 wrote: »
    You don't really need finger tips anyway ;)
    Gruesome image
    It is a bit harder to type with elbows though...
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I keep telling ya, a sub one hour IM swim for you:) Great swim.
    And I hear ya! If the wetsuit adds a few minutes then perhaps, BUT that would be a hard effort and there is no way I'm spending myself that early.

Great swim session yesterday dude, it must have done wonders for the confidence. I now realise that instead of going out hard on TT efforts and flagging at the end, it is much better to start off steady and either stay steady or build to a strong finish. Either your time is better or at least the same but crucially you are less f&ucked.

BTW on a long session such as that how do you keep count of laps? Pool Mate?

BTW on a long session such as that how do you keep count of laps? Pool Mate?
    Its a 50m pool so easier. I just count 100s. So I only had to count to 38 :)

I see from the wetsuit thread in the gear forum you got a TYR Hurricane C5? Thats a pricey suit but must have been worth it. I was considering the BS Helix but shying away from it from some reports I've read. I'm currently between the TYR C5 and the Sailfish One. I'm hoping to get up to Base2Race myself next month. Did you try on any other suits there? What size did you get in the C5?

CSS have the Zoot Zenith on a reduced price at the minute which is supposed to be a very good suit (still expensive though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play on the swim PB, thats a nice bloody time!!!

Its a 50m pool so easier. I just count 100s. So I only had to count to 38 :)

I see from the wetsuit thread in the gear forum you got a TYR Hurricane C5? Thats a pricey suit but must have been worth it. I was considering the BS Helix but shying away from it from some reports I've read. I'm currently between the TYR C5 and the Sailfish One. I'm hoping to get up to Base2Race myself next month. Did you try on any other suits there? What size did you get in the C5?

TBH dude I only tried the C5 and I was that impressed that I just went for it. The top end Sailfish wetsuit was out of my price range. I went for medium large, it is a very tight fit on dry land and takes forever to get into but once in the water it felt really good especially around the core. Getting it off was very easy, very quick, just remember to get the cuffs off first. Seeing as you are coming from Limerick you should try 2 or 3 and get a feel for them in the pool. Testing them is the only way to go, you would buy a bike/car without test driving first!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

I was considering the BS Helix but shying away from it from some reports I've read.

Have just bought BS Axis - was considering buying the Helix and now curious as to what reports you read which turned you off?

Paddies day brick session, a hilly one.
    It was just shy of 39k Bike out to one of my siblings who lives on top of a hill. There were lots of little drags on the way out and the hill itself is a 2.4km climb avg 5.8%. The first 2k is ok with just one 10% ramp but the last 400m is more like 10-12% and my heart rate was in the 170s. I was full of beans after another day off yesterday and 31kmh was not bad for the trip out. It was a lovely fresh, bright, chilly day with just a crosswind to contend with. The plan was to meet Caz there and keep her company for her Run on the same hill. The idea was to do a hill that was as long as but harder than the hell of the west hill in the Connemara Marathon so she could remember it when it hurt in a few weeks. I was running very easy and even my heart rate hit 160 towards the top so I can only imagine how hard she was working. 2 reps of it thrown into a 13km run was a tough session for her and a nice transition run for me. I cycled home a while later with a belly full of lasagne and tea. It was 4 mins faster than I had come in, so about 32kmh average for the 2 legs I think, I left the Garmin behind :rolleyes:

Friday morning swim group: the speed session.
    I arrived down late into the warm up so wasn’t firing on all cylinders by the time we belted into 8*100 hard off god knows what. We did a few 50s of the same nature before I was found out hiding at the back of the large group. The next bit was 4*150s and I was in limbo. I lost the 3 in front of me and dropped the group so they were tough to say the least. I have no idea what pace we were swimming but judging by how many were shelled out the back it was lively. I have had a penny drop moment though ever since someone posted the Michael Hall Sr swim tutorial link in that I can distinguish between 2 styles of front crawl. The hip driven longer glide and the shoulder driven quick catch. The former is good for longer distance but the quicker catch is good for getting the cadence up. I exaggerated both this morning so actually got something out of the Friday morning madness other than burn :D

Have just bought BS Axis - was considering buying the Helix and now curious as to what reports you read which turned you off?
    Only a small thing and that is the thinness of the arms on the 2010 model and some doubts about the seams. I was originally going for a helix but I'm anything but careful by nature so I lean towards more on the durability front. Having said that I'll try a few on before I get anything. What made you go for the Axis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Michael Hall Sr swim tutorial??

How are you finding the training after the mini break you took a while back?
    Your training is looking good and it's all pointing towards that sub 10 in Roth. I am actually thinking of hitting Roth next year as my target race so looking forward to some of the reports back as the course looks like a fascinating one. When did you register for this year as i would imagine it sells quickly.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Michael Hall Sr swim tutorial??
    Sorry GARY hall Snr. I can't for the life of me remember who posted it or on what thread it was (if I could I'd dig it out) but It just made lots of sense to me. Maybe Griffin100 or interested posted it :confused:
    Your training is looking good and it's all pointing towards that sub 10 in Roth. I am actually thinking of hitting Roth next year as my target race so looking forward to some of the reports back as the course looks like a fascinating one. When did you register for this year as i would imagine it sells quickly.
    A bit better thanks. I think I was just overreaching a bit a few weeks ago. I've backed off a good bit since and now have a thirst for running again. The sub10 is still a big ask though. Sim should go well hopefully. I have the power on the bike and fitness and hills are improving. I have to get some long rides on the PX and run off them to get a feeling for it though. At this stage I'm not too worried about finishing, bar a disaster that should happen. There are so many variables though in achieving a something specific. I entered sometime in September. It didn't sell out that quickly as I remember taking a while tomake up my mind.

A sub 10 would be a super achievement especially on your first IM attempt. I am really going to push for a similiar target for next year once i get my first season over with.... although this is dependant on how much i hate the distance when i finish UKIM:rolleyes:

You'll hate the IM distance for a few hours until you forget the pain and then you'll be itching to do another one.

Sorry GARY hall Snr. I can't for the life of me remember who posted it or on what thread it was (if I could I'd dig it out) but It just made lots of sense to me. Maybe Griffin100 or interested posted it :confused:

Here it is.

Nice swim PB there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Only a small thing and that is the thinness of the arms on the 2010 model and some doubts about the seams. I was originally going for a helix but I'm anything but careful by nature so I lean towards more on the durability front. Having said that I'll try a few on before I get anything. What made you go for the Axis?

Went for Axix cause I was easily swayed by a good a sales description!!!
    .............with over 85% of triathlon competitors coming from a running, cycling or other sport background, blueseventy recognises that many athletes possess a denser leg make up due to well-exercised and established thigh muscles and dense calves. ‘Heavier’ legs leave the majority of triathletes at a distinct disadvantage in the first discipline. Blueseventy’s goal is to give the world a faster swimming experience, so the Axis suit has been developed with the focus on centralising buoyancy and balancing out the buoyancy zones.

Have had a swim in the pool with it and am well impressed with leg buoyancy. However, will be fully convinced when I test its performance in OW. Previous wetsuit was Zoot (very durable) and BS Axis feels more like a second skin and definitely not as sturdy as Zoot. My main difficulty when swimming is kicking so fingers crossed – a sacrifice of durability for buoyancy.
    Best of luck with whichever WS you choose and really enjoy your log – great training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Always helps that Roth is short :)

(they are all short, roth is just about 1-2km shorter on the bike :) )

I don't actually think the german races are that *fast* - just the standard of competitor is higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A bit better thanks. I think I was just overreaching a bit a few weeks ago. I've backed off a good bit since and now have a thirst for running again. The sub10 is still a big ask though. Sim should go well hopefully. I have the power on the bike and fitness and hills are improving. I have to get some long rides on the PX and run off them to get a feeling for it though. At this stage I'm not too worried about finishing, bar a disaster that should happen. There are so many variables though in achieving a something specific. I entered sometime in September. It didn't sell out that quickly as I remember taking a while tomake up my mind.

A sub five bike requires an average wattage of 210 watts or thereabouts - you're swimming 1:03 for 3.8km pool swims so assume 1:05 - gives you 3:55 for transitions and run at least - more if you hold more watts on the bike. So all you have to do is get to the start line.

Advertisement