Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great report MCOS. Well done again. No pressure for Berlin now! :D

Nice cycle from Galway to Limerick too. Perhaps you should tackle this record next year after the marathon! ;)

Glad to hear Caz was happy with her effort. I'm assuming this week is a down week in your plan? You clocked a serious amount of mileage over the weekend. How's the body feeling after it?

BTW, Mick was wearing maroon and white - the Athenry AC colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fantastic report well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great stuff. You'll walk the sub 3 now in Berlin. More like 2'45-2'50 i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nice result, I presume you will be revising your Berlin target now.

Did the garmin start spiking 2.30 in or were you hitting those BPMs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great report MCOS and delighted Caz got her time aswell. That cycle home should have loosened up the legs a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fantastic stuff, MCOS. That is absolutely brilliant running on a savage course. Myself and the two young lads were on the roadside a mile out from the finish, cheering people on... was hoping I'd recognise you when you passed but alas!

Fair play, that is a serious result from serious training. Looking forward to your PB attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jaysus you make it sound easy - again well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    Jaysus you make it sound easy - again well done.

+1...sounds like a different course to the one I know:)..great going.

At this point, Chrisse W will be replaced by yourself dishing out the medals to the mortals at Roth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

love reading those reports

well done - savage result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Fantastic stuff, well done!
    That must be a huge confidence booster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Congrats again, MCOS, well done. That was a great run. You obviously have great endurance, and it will serve you well later in the year.

Savage running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@Tunney - cheers for teh response by the way. Yeah we chat about some interesting things over email but when you come into logs for a poke try to leave something constructive behind, however cryptic :)

@Mac - Caz was delighted that her legs held up. She was so funny messing with compression socks, pain killers and magnets beforehand but she had done all of her long runs with a buddy and they helped each other through it. They both said they would have struggled to do it alone. I did up their programme for it and predicted they would hit the half in 2:10 and full around 4:30. They actually did 2:08/4:27 :)

@pgibbo - Oop that wasn't Mick so, I obviously didn't pass a legend en route! No itsa normal training week with an earlier rest day and most of the intensity removed. The quads are feeling it alright and I'm hoping to get a rub this week on them

@mloc - I was holding 160 ish up to 16m then the Garmin started playing up saying I was 170-180. There is no way I'd have been able to run up the hill at 180. The hr readings just got worse as it rained.

@JB - the cycle plan was to loosen the legs alright but I wasn't expecting the headwind fom Gort to Ennis. It was brutal.

@everyone else... relax lads, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park but yeah I may have to reconsider my Berlin target. I'm only focused on the IM for now though so I won't specualted until I have basked in the south of France for a week after the IM :)

@mloc - I was holding 160 ish up to 16m then the Garmin started playing up saying I was 170-180. There is no way I'd have been able to run up the hill at 180. The hr readings just got worse as it rained.

Garmin drives me mad some days, that said I would be lost without it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Congrats dude again, and on reaching 3 greens-you did it in some style.

I think you are right not to get carried away re Berlin, a long way away yet and a lot could happen between now and then, keeping yourself healthy and fit is going to be the priority imo.

Weekly numbers - IM Phase week 3 of 12
    4-10 April|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|13:42|205.09
    Swimming|2|2:08|6.9
    Cycling|3|3:45|120.02
    Running|5|5:54|78.19
    Conditioning|1|2:05|Core/Yoga

weight check week 21: 167.6lbs/76.2kg
    weight check week 22: 166.4lbs/75.6kg
    weight check week 24: 166.6lbs/75.7kg

Really satisfying week. A 3.8k pool swim PB and a Marathon PB and all sessions complete. 5 weeks off chocolate too! Hopefully I can get a sports rub this week. I won't have an oportunity for a long (IM long) session so I have to make the most of what I do. Next week included the 2nd benchmark session of 4 so I want to hit it reasonably fresh. The weeks are going to roll by at a frantic pace now so I have to consider race specific stuff soon. I also have to get a wetsuit and sort accomodation :rolleyes:

9 weeks of IM training left then taper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

@Mac - Caz was delighted that her legs held up. She was so funny messing with compression socks, pain killers and magnets beforehand but she had done all of her long runs with a buddy and they helped each other through it. They both said they would have struggled to do it alone. I did up their programme for it and predicted they would hit the half in 2:10 and full around 4:30. They actually did 2:08/4:27 :)

Good stuff, Coach;). Nice that they ran together; she's obviously not as competive as her other half.:D

Magnets?? That's a new one to me. What does that involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey MCOS, excellent performance in the Marathon. Hitting 3:00 when your target wasn't sub-3, was really solid running. It's great to see that you can perform so well in a discipline that is only 1/3rd of your focus. If you have improved as much over the other two disciplines, then your Roth race report will make for an eagerly awaited read.

@Mac - haven't a clue mate. Something to do with improving circulation. She acknowledged they are just a gimmick. It was just the placebo effect to soothe the nerves over her shin splints. I think sub4 has to be their next gig...

@KC thanks dude and sorry to hear about your injury, hope it heals up quickly. I may rely on you for some tips when Berlin enteres the crosshairs

Wednesday morning Yoga and feeling it for once
    Of all weeks to do a focus on leg intensive poses! She had us holding the crane pose and single leg balance sequence (these are my made up names) waay to long. The arches of my feet burned and my calf threatened cramp. I squeezed the bejeezus out of my gluts and abs to get through it without falling and lived to tell the tale :) My legs badly need a rub down. The last fella I had some deep tissue work with has skirted off out of the country Zico10 style so I had to root out another. A session with the technician in the morning is not one I'll be late for :D

To kill the chocolate craving today I opted for Tesco's Finest Nut Granola. After 2 bowls I calculated I put away a whopping 1400cals in about 5 mins :o yikes. Note to self, inspect back of new cereal packets before purchase next time. My usual mid afternoon 500cal snack lately is 3 organic peanut butter (no sugar) and banana oat cake sandwiches... The Granola was overkill. On the peanut butter: for years I swore by the Kelkin crunchy version but the organic no sugar 95% peanut version is the bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

@KC thanks dude and sorry to hear about your injury, hope it heals up quickly. I may rely on you for some tips when Berlin enteres the crosshairs
    The beer in this place is fantastic. That's about the only advice I have to give you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Bit late but.... Well done... Amazing result! :)

• Advertisement

Figured I'd throw a training post in for the craic for a change :) Not much of a session though..

Wednesday evening easy run
    I had intended a cycle but I find it harder to rein it in on the bike than running. 40 mins at a gentle trot was about the size of it. The legs felt like bits of wood held together with dental foss. I went for a rub with the tecnician this morning to flush the hips, quads and calves out. Boy oh boy it hurt. You just don't get that deep with a roller, or maybe I just use it like a wuss!

Figured I'd throw a training post in for the craic for a change :) Not much of a session though..

I had intended a cycle but I find it harder to rein it in on the bike than running. 40 mins at a gentle trot was about the size of it. The legs felt like bits of wood held together with dental foss. I went for a rub with the tecnician this morning to flush the hips, quads and calves out. Boy oh boy it hurt. You just don't get that deep with a roller, or maybe I just use it like a wuss!

Hah yes, I went for a rub last week. The roller is great but its hard to subject yourself to that level of pain without wimping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Two items:
    a) belated congrats on a top day out at the weekend - shaping up nicely :)
    b) on the massage - two words that give me the shakes - "dry needling" :eek:

interested wrote: »
    b) on the massage - two words that give me the shakes - "dry needling" :eek:

You and me both. I've heard of that before. Way to make a grown man cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Sorry, Shotgun - meant to congratulate you on your "handy training spin" before now, but was offline. That's some running...and then the bike ride, when the rest of us are still hung over! :eek:

Good to meet you on the day!

Thursday evening Z2 bike TT
    The Club TT league is on a break this week due to the European Duathlon Champs taking plave this weekend in Limerick. Thus I decided on a TT of my own.
    The plan
    60km Z2 TT 150hr ceiling and ideally hit 34kmh min (planned IM pace)
    Actual
    60km TT in 1:37:21 avg hr 137 avg speed 37kmh Summary

Despite the effects of the deep tissue massage still lingering I felt good. I chose a reasonably flat route and stayed down on the bars. A slight headwind on the way out and had that behind me on the way home. I didn't push the hills though to save the legs and keep the hr in Z2. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. I was tempted to do a short run off but I'll leave the running today again to let the smaller muscles recover some more. I just had my heart rate on so wasn't keeping an eye on speed. I ended up maybe going a bit too quick. I did a 10 minute cool down and felt fine getting off the bike.
    brownian wrote: »
    Sorry, Shotgun - meant to congratulate you on your "handy training spin" before now, but was offline. That's some running...and then the bike ride, when the rest of us are still hung over! :eek:

Good to meet you on the day!
    Good to meet you too dude and congrats on your own run! I was a bit hungover on the bike too!

Friday run in the lunchtime sun
    Smashing day out there isn’t it! I was glad to have my runners with me as I needed the fresh air. It’s just a shame to have to come back into an office with no windows and no clean air. I was tired and sluggish to start. I had an awful sleep last night, missed my swim this morning and needed a strong coffee just to get through morning meetings. Halfway through the run I was enjoying the sunshine and gentle breeze but the effort was laboured at 4:30ish. The GT2160s were a bit flat and maybe I was thirsty but I figured the muscles were tired and not yet over the deep tissue work yesterday. Then bizarrely at about 9km, it suddenly felt effortless and I was cruising at 4:00 pace :confused: I had stopped at traffic lights for a minute and when I got going again it was like I had a new pair of legs! With 3 weeks between Marathons, I wonder if there is any need for long run this weekend? Maybe just 90 mins easy... I'll see how the legs feel at silly o clock on Sunday morning and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice going - you're training like I'd like to be :):(

Saturday long turbo
    It sucked to be sitting on it when the sun was out but alas thats Life. 2.5 hours of a sweatfest but a pretty solid session put down. Broke it down as..
    5*20mins 80%FTP with 5 mins Z1 rest
    1*20mins 90%FTP then 10 mins cool down
    Overall it was consistent and I felt strong. The 6th rep at 90% took some focus and also took me out of Z2. Probably one of the tougher turbos I've done. Avg output 254 watts and 91.9km covered. Turbo calibrated before the session.

• Advertisement

Sunday late evening hurry up run
    I was running comfortably up to 20 mins but then my bowels finally came eat me from the shameful stodgefest over the weekend. I made it to 79 mins but basically accelerated the whole way home with my core and gluts clenched. I was in suburbia so couldn't just hop behind a ditch. A 4:12 average pace shows just how much I had to hurry up since I started out easy... Apart from that the legs felt good and I had energy :cool:

Weekly numbers - IM Phase week 4 of 12
    11-17 April|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|8|12:47|299.78
    Swimming|1|1:00|3.0
    Cycling|3|7:25|259.3
    Running|3|2:47|37.48
    Conditioning|1|1:25|Core/Yoga

weight check week 21: 167.6lbs/76.2kg
    weight check week 22: 166.4lbs/75.6kg
    weight check week 24: 166.6lbs/75.7kg
    weight check week 25: 168.0lbs/76.4kg

It felt like such a low week after last weekend. It was a busy one with Life so I had to make the most of the sessions that got in. I'm on a bike focus at the moment so not too bothered by the lack of swimming and running. The deep tissue rub did the job on my quads and gluts which is all good. Lots of cycling and another Marathon up in the next 2 weeks. The weight gain is basically me choking the chocolate cravings with way too much cake and cereal :o

This is an important week as I have my second benchmark brick session to do at the end of it. The plan is just to stay down on the bars as much as possible. I've been roped into leading a spin class for a charity cycle thing at the Arena on Wedneday night too. No idea what routine I'll do but I'll think of something.

Just 8 weeks to taper :eek:

Monday morning group swim session.
    Woeful swim. I was leading the pack out for the main set of 3*(200/3*100) off 3:30 and 1:45 but faded badly after the 2nd set. I ended up failling to hang onto the back of the group and took a dejected early shower. Hopefully I'll get the swim mojo back before I hit the OW. Feeling out of sorts today.

Just 6 days to Easter Sunday and Chocolate :D

Advertisement