Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Saturday morning long bike
    Summary.. well, most of it
    I headed out with one of the fast lads from the club training for a real stab at Austria 70.3 in a few weeks. A very solid biker with a recent AR win under his belt and we were on the TT rigs. The plan was 4 hours steady but it was more like 4 hours of solid work. We hit Charleville via Kilmallock setting the tone by pacing each other every 10 mins or so 10m apart out of the draft zone. Although there was no physical effect of a draft you got a distinct psychological draft. We were chugging along nicely into a headwind. At Charleville we turned for Tipperarary and passed a peloton of about 100+ charity cyclists on the other side of the road. It was gnarly out to say the least. Windy and some chilly light showers. I wore my waterproof jacket expecting the worst and ended up sweating like mad. My mate was full of beans so the pace was sharp. The road to Tipp wasn't great at all and presented plenty of nice drags to suck the energy from the legs. My hip flexor felt these drags and I'd fall a little off him. 12 months ago though he was significantly stronger than me on hills so getting through this section together, albeit tough, showed another sign of progress. From Tipp we headed back to Limerick at a fierce pace for a while before I reined it back to keep my heart rate in check. My Garmin died about 20km from home but we were averaging 34kmh which was bang on my IM pace target. I felt it when I got home though. The legs were heavy. No run again. It was just under 139km in just over 4hours. Nice session.

Sunday afternoon Joey Hannon Memorial Olympic Distance Triathlon
    I was in 2 minds whether to give it a miss or not. My quads and gluts were stiff and tired and I wasn't firing on all cylinders. However I had decided to omit one of the races closer to the IM so decided on the race practice. We were hanging around for ages for the last wave to start and I did a fair bit of stretching and excersises to try to energise myself. Reports in from earlier waves was that the wind on the course was brutal, great. It turned out better than I expected. 12th overall in a PB of 2:08:33, my best result in an Olympic Distance Tri and my best Joey yet.

The swim. I was in an ambitious 2nd fastest wave but there were some guys I knew I could hang onto. I went off in the middle of the gang but the pace was hard and my energy faded after just 300m. I let a few through and despite my best effort couldn't hang onto a lad I usually lead out in the mornings. I sort of muscled through the swim for a 25:12, way short of what I expected. I was just tired. No disaster, I know my swim will come back to me. What concerned me most was how my quads felt when I kicked off the wall. Ominous. Swim split: 25/200ish

T1 was grand. One of the lads roared at me that I was around top 20. Cool. I had mo watch or HRM on. The race was done entirely on RPE.

The Bike. The leap of faith worked for once and I got an instant momentum from it. Quite the opposite of my fall last year. I passed 2 in the process and got motoring. The wind on the outward leg turned drags into climbs and some blustery gusts threw the bike around. I focused on a high cadence on the way out and using gears effectively I reeled in about 10 more. I was passed by one, Ruadhri Geraghty who I knew to me a strong biker and he flew off ahead. At the turnaround I noticed about 4-5 lads behind me, all of whom I knew to be strong runners so I put the boot down. I gave the next 10 km as much juice as my tired legs could muster. There was a clear road ahead for ages but I was motoring. I began to reel Ruadhri back in although he was better of hills than I. With 4km to go my quads were burning so I gave up chasing him. I'd got back to within 50m but then it dawned on me that I had a run to do so I dropped a gear and spun back to UL passing 2 more just before hitting T2 in 9th after 1:01:14. Bike split 4/200ish

The Run: I fumbled a bit with my runners but hit a stride quickly enough out of T2. My legs felt ropey after a km so I got into as steady a rhythm. I felt like I was moving at snailpace and all the runners I had passed would come flying past. At the 2.5km turnaround I could see a whole lot of them and then a stitch hit. I focused on my breathing and cadence to keep going. My hip was behaving itself but I only had one pace. My new goal was to hang onto a top 20 spot but I was only passed by 3 speed merchants to my surprise. The second lap was really hard work but I found a little extra for the last 2km to maintain 12th. The course was a full 10k and I was surprised to clock 40:01. One of my goals last year was to go sub40 off the bike and I never came close all year and today, on heavy legs and a stitch on board for 15mins I couldn't be much closer! I had felt like I was running 42-43 ish pace so I was pretty happy with that. If I had a watch on and knew what the deal was I may have pushed that last little bit but this was not a priority race which is why I had no data. Run split 20/200ish.

I was pretty spent for a finish but all of my splits were marginally faster than last year in much worse conditions so no complaints here :)

The run in to the IM is now just 9 weeks. I've had a good think about it and I decided to drop the HIM on June 4th. Its a long drive to Tyrone and 5 weeks out from the IM is risky. I asked what I would benefit from it and then also realised it was scheduled on a recovery week, so it was dropped from the programme. What I have now is a 3 week block of work, including a sprint Tri. Then a recovery week where the volume will drop right down. Finally another 2 week block of work before a 3 week taper. I'll be taking a full day off each week from now on too. There is lots of weekend life stuff coming up too so I have to find some way of getting the long bikes in. Its all about getting ready for Roth now. No junk sessions or heavy races. Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great racing - especially after the hard bike the previous day. I will be expecting you to to take it home in Spiddal, have you won one yet.........no pressure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Nice one on the new PB.
    Great splits in all 3 disciplines there!

catweazle wrote: »
    Great racing - especially after the hard bike the previous day. I will be expecting you to to take it home in Spiddal, have you won one yet.........no pressure ;)
    Nope not even close, its not on my agenda. NS races are usually stacked so its hard enough just to be competitive in your AG let alone overall! Spiddal is in the middle of a training block too so its just a bit of fun to break it up. You are putting in some pretty solid work yourself and the constant chasing of brownie points is comical :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great going MCOS not long to the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done, MCOS. What strikes me most about your recent race reports is how you're so easily hitting targets now that were previously a challenge, and this with IM training in the legs. I never imagined IM training would speed a person up, but I guess the huge levels of fitness makes going to, and staying at, speed, easier?
    Would love to do Spiddal, alas not around, but it would make an interesting day watching yourself and Ruaidhrí race up and down the hill on the Moycullen road!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Well done, MCOS. What strikes me most about your recent race reports is how you're so easily hitting targets now that were previously a challenge, and this with IM training in the legs. I never imagined IM training would speed a person up, but I guess the huge levels of fitness makes going to, and staying at, speed, easier?
    Would love to do Spiddal, alas not around, but it would make an interesting day watching yourself and Ruaidhrí race up and down the hill on the Moycullen road!

Good observation ronanmac. Yes its down to the base fitness built up over the winter. If my main goal was a HIM or OLY later this summer I'd be concentrating on speedwork onto that base. I think with the higher IM fitness you just become more efficient at paces you raced at before. I was able to give the bike some welly yesterday ad not lose too much on the run. With fresher legs I'm confident I could have run quicker off the bike. Its not a matter of getting faster but more a case of slowing down less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's a serious result MCOS. Well done. How's the hip flexor after the long cycle and Joey? Quite a busy weekend.

Monday evening first OW dip of the year
    A couple of swims yesterday. I'm taking Fridays off from here so front loading week's swimming. The Pool one was bits 'n bobs done in the slow lane at half hearted effort before work. The body just felt tired, unsurprisingly. The OW swim was waaay more enjoyable in the evening. Only a couple of us out, sharing the river with rowing crews. The first 5 mins were cold, but the brain freeze calmed down and I did a nice 2,200m with the technician. Her stroke is just effortless looking. The suit felt good too. I tried to lie 'on top' of the water as she said she does. A lot more flexibility around the shoulders and almost a soft tight fit. The balance was good and I just glided along steadily. We did another hard 100 and an easy 100 before hopping out. The rain had been lashing all day so the water was murky. It was just 40mins but I was tired after it. Enjoyable though :)

pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a serious result MCOS. Well done. How's the hip flexor after the long cycle and Joey? Quite a busy weekend.
    Hips are not too bad actually. I basically took the week off running last week.

Tuesday lunchtime run with some speedwork
    This felt like a just punishment for rolling over and turning the alarm off this morning :rolleyes: It was windy and warm out and muppet here wore a long sleeve top and running shorts. Finshed up after the bones of 12km with 3*2km fast thrown in, sweating, puffing and existing chaffing more chaffed. The reps were high Z4 efforts in 7:40, 7:30 and 7:20. The plan was to do them at sub 4:00 per km but I probably pushed a bit too hard. Other than general fatigue, the legs held up, although I was a bit spent back at the office.

• Advertisement

Tuesday evening turbo
    I had hill reps in the plan but was in no mood for the wind and rain. Instead, I pulled out the turbo, dusted it off and completed an easy 90mins. My legs were appreciative of this. For some reason I hit one of these strange 'lows' after a half hour. Energy, motivation, everyting just dropped. I took off my tee, opened the windows and downed a carb drink. It worked and I was ok again after a few mins to finish out the session. As tempted as I was to do some work I resisted. HR avg 116, output 221w. I think it was a combination of being hungry and heating up as I just couldn't stop eating after the session.

Wednesday morning swim
    More slow lane stuff trying to find my mojo. I didn't enjoy it. I was half asleep and woul much rather have been outdoors. Ferocious appetite again afterwards. 2 breakfasts put away and I'm counting the minutes to lunch! I've a long run planned for this evening and for a change I will take water and gels with me, just in case.

I start taper in 38 days, that kind of blows my mind a bit :eek:

Wednesday evening long run
    2 hours out in the wind. I headed out the countryside as I had to stop at my old man's place to collect some mail. Apparently I was caught sppeding up in Knock of all places a few weeks ago. 2 penalty points and €80 fine, I don't think so! I was out in Shannon Co Clare marshalling a TT at that time :rolleyes: I ran easy at Z1 for this but while the first hour felt ok, the second hour became a chore. I hit the 2hr mark half a click from home and walked the rest. My legs were tired and achy so I took the roller to them. I'll get them into a bath with epsom salts when I can over the weekend. Dist 25.9km, hr 140, pace 4:38/km

Thursday morning fartlek run
    Bloody wind, I was cursing it this morning. It was just 1,2,3,2,1 mins with 2 mins easy between them but the session was pants. I should have stayed in bed, I had zero motivation for this one. 10.8km at 4:37 pace and according to the Gamin I went from sleep to 222bpm in 60 secs!

I began to think about what I'm going to do with the Garmin for the IM. I've never swam with it and don't usually use it for Tri races but I'm going to need it for Roth. Hmmmm...

I guess there would be something wrong if you didn't find the fartlek session hard after the long run yesterday and even the residual effects of last weeeknd.

I usually wear my Garmin HR strap in races. I always put it on before the swim even though I don't wear the watch until I get on the bike. The only time I had an issue was after I put a new battery in the HR strap and I didn;t close it properly. As a result water leaked in. Lesson learned and it hasn't happened since. So I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it. Try it in Spiddal next week as a dry run and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The wind is wrecking my head at the moment alright.

My garmin plan for austria... on The bike waiting in T1 turned on. Take it off the bike with a few km to go and swpa over for the run.

mloc123 wrote: »
    My garmin plan for austria... on The bike waiting in T1 turned on. Take it off the bike with a few km to go and swpa over for the run.

+1

Should have clarified this is what I do

Interesting lads. Do you strap the watch onto the bike with a bike mount then transfer to your wrist at T2 or what? Is the 310xt transition kit worth getting. I don't have a bike comp, just use the Garmin on rides and I guess it would be easier if it were mounted on the stem while down in TT position for hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Interesting lads. Do you strap the watch onto the bike with a bike mount then transfer to your wrist at T2 or what? Is the 310xt transition kit worth getting. I don't have a bike comp, just use the Garmin on rides and I guess it would be easier if it were mounted on the stem while down in TT position for hours...

I use the bike mount for the 310xt (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Quick-Release-Forerunner-310XT/dp/B003CP0MTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1305209342&sr=8-1), and then run with it in my hand. I dislike the size of it as a watch, which is even bigger (maybe 3mm) with the quickrelease watch strap.

I got laughed out of it when I suggested to an excellent swimmer about its large size while swimming slowing me down. Said I would need to be Thorpedo to notice any difference and he wears it himself during the swim. I just pull the watch under the wetsuit as I am taking off and leave it on for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I got laughed out of it when I suggested to an excellent swimmer about its large size while swimming slowing me down. Said I would need to be Thorpedo to notice any difference and he wears it himself during the swim. I just pull the watch under the wetsuit as I am taking off and leave it on for the day

+1...put it into multisport mode and stick it under the sleeve of the wetsuit.

It certainly slows me down (and im not an excellent swimmer). Its a big chunk of a thing that adds resistance at the point you're gliding from; it's not as if you need it during the swim anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You can buy the bike mount, or alternatively you can buy a decent bit of pipe foam that fits around your bar (remeber the foam that was on your bmx as a kid?) and strap it onto that. €20 please:pac:

What gets me is say mcos is going for sub 10 and he leaves his 310 on the bike or doesn't wear it in the swim, how do you know on the run what time you have left to dip under 10 if you cant start it up till the bike :confused:

What gets me is say mcos is going for sub 10 and he leaves his 310 on the bike or doesn't wear it in the swim, how do you know on the run what time you have left to dip under 10 if you cant start it up till the bike :confused:

I'd probably use a tiny waterproof stopwatch with nothing fancy about it for the raw time. How many times have hrms and gps-enabled watches f****d up on the day when there are 500 other people with the same gadget sending out signals. I'd certainly want a low-tech backup.

Hmm options

KQ the BMX foam option would have you gawking at the baaar sideways kid', you'd end up with a pure gammy neck for a laugh at the end of it :D

Ahem.. So

Option A: Just wear the yoke under the W/S sleeve in multisport mode and its on for the race. Try not to crack it off someone elses in the swim, rip the W/S taking it off or have your watch baring arm dragging you to the bottom of the canal...
    Pros: Its on and thats it, no faffing about. You can record the whole race start to finish
    Cons: Its a behemoth of a yoke to have on your wrist. Its on your wrist for the bike section

Option B: Have it on the Bike in T1 on a mount turned on ready to press start.
    Pros: Not having to 'carry it' in the swim. Its attached to the stem so you can stare at it to your hearts content without coming out of TT position.
    Cons: You have to remove before you get to T2 and some enthusiastic German volunteer yanks the bike from underneath you. You have to wear an awkward wrist strap to attach it to or carry it. You don't get a constant race time as CW mentioned.

I'll wear it on my next OW swim just to see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hmm options

KQB the BMX foam option would have you gawking at the baaar sideways kid', you'd end up with a pure gammy neck for a laugh at the end of it :D

And so ends my knowledge of tri bikes (is there no spot either side of the pads for it?). I assumed if someone could fit a bike mount on you could fit a small bit of foam?:confused: The foam would just be a nice cheap mount ensuring the match doesnt move around

Should read more closely. I see it goes on the stem

I am going with Option B in my IM and taking it off and onto the wrist with a km to finish on the bike. I will have a standard strap stopwatch on throughout calculating the total time and the garmin will be used to monitor HR and pace on the bike and run.
    No wonder your legs were ****ed this morning a fartlek run the morning after a Long Run.......you saddist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jaysus I feel inferior with all this talk of garmins - I'm still working with my waterproof e40 Argos HRM / stopwatch. That said if more races stop putting out distance markers I'll have to invest. Doing an IM bike with one distance marker on the course was not fun last year.

Friday Rest Day....
    Aha a day off and I get to eat what I want too. I'm going to love Fridays for the next few weeks! I cycled out to the Club TT last night and posted 23:13 for the 15km. It was 40 secs off my best but unsurprising really. I was happy to be that close. Conditions were cool and very windy. I decided to just push it at mid 160s heart rate and not go too deep. I was working hard enough though. One of the Elites caught me at 7km but I made better of the next technical section around 3 roundabouts. There is an immediate hill afterwards which I knew I'd struggle on. He was right behind me and as sooon as I dropped to the small ring he shot past and dropped me. I didn't have the legs to chase this time. First time being passed in the series so far. I gave it some go on the way back but 38.8kmh was all I could average. Overall 61.44km for the spin at 135hr and 33.8kmh. The legs deserve a break today.
    I am going with Option B in my IM and taking it off and onto the wrist with a km to finish on the bike. I will have a standard strap stopwatch on throughout calculating the total time and the garmin will be used to monitor HR and pace on the bike and run.
    So did you get the bike mount kit? How does the wrist strap feel?
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Doing an IM bike with one distance marker on the course was not fun last year.
    :eek:

So did you get the bike mount kit? How does the wrist strap feel?

No i am going to order one though, i currently just have it strapped onto the bar. It moves about a bit but its easy enough to adjust and take a quick glance at it to check pace/avg speed etc.
    I broke the strap a while back on the Garmin but luckily they come packed with a spare strap so i held off ordering the bike mount kit.

• Advertisement

I have the bike mount kit for the 305. Unfortunately it doesn't go on to the stem so I'm not sure what I'll do for the new bike. The velcro watch strap is very comfortable though and I use it all the time now. Rather than wear it on the swim & bike I usually leave it in my runner in transition and pop it and the watch on as I run out of transition. It's very easy to pop in place.

Advertisement