Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday evening long run in the p!ssing rain n' wind :mad:
    My spirit gave out to me on this one...
    I've used that phrase only a couple of times over the last 3 years when I have fought against my body and mind's desire to quit. Last night was a 2.5 hour run after work in absolutely miserable conditions and my spirit gave me a good lecture afterwards, as did Caz. I wanted to quit after 15 mins and the first downpour. The run was torture from start to finish. Its not that I'm a fair weather type of athlete, on the contrary I love running in the rain sometimes. Last night however my motivation was zero to start with. I was already sick of the wind and I got soaked within 10 mins of leaving my front door. More significantly though my legs ached. My calves and hamstrings were tight. Perhaps it was from 'chewing the handlebars' as nomadic would put it, on the hills on Tuesday night. Another factor was, despite having a big plate of chicken, spuds and veg for my lunch, all I had eaten since was 2 crunchie bars, an apple and a couple of digestives. This was the part Caz lectured me on, and rightly so :o. By 10km I wanted to go home. By 20km I was struggling and by 30km I was in a world of torture. The last 10 minutes was about putting one foot in front of the other into a headwind and up a hill. Having passed the half marathon mark at 4:36 pace my pace died to 5min+ kms by the end. If you had asked me to run another km I'd have wailed. I need to take gels with me for runs over 2 hours especially if its after a days work. Last night I couldn't have finished a straight Marathon let alone an IM one!! Bloody awful run but at least its done. 32.43km at avg 4:39 pace and 144 heart rate.

This weather sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Just catching up on logs now... fantastic result in Spiddal on what seemed to be a nightmare of a day, weather-wise. Great going.

Thursday lunchtime, another run in the wind...
    Having Friday's off is a motivator for me. I'm generally tired by Wedseday after the long run so I convince myself that I have just 2 more sessions to do before I get a day off! The day off then allows me to rest before the weekend sessions. Still, I failed to drag my tired legs out of bed this morning. I had some speedwork planned but the hams and calves were way too tight still to even contemplate it. They need rolling. I vowed to get the run done at lunchtime and did just that. Since I bowed out of speedy stuff I made a deal with myself to just work hard enough for sub 4:30 pace. Cue 12.05km at 4:29 pace at Z2 heart rate. It was a 'going through the motions' session. It was windy and wet again and I roasted in my long sleeves and leggings. I don't feel so bad about not getting up this morning now though. However I'm struggling with the desire to cycle later...

Thursday evening short spin including 15km TT
    Again it was a battle with the motivation when I got home from work. My legs had the effects of a hard long run still present and I was wishing the dark clouds to open up to make my decision easier. However in the 20 minutes of procrastinating it almost seemed to get brighter so I quickly got my gear on and headed out the door. I knew the TT would have started by the time I got there but I might be able to get to it before the last person on the list set off. I could have just done an easy spin or turbo but I'm lying 2nd in the league and trailing by just 2 points so a no show would have opened up a big gap if the other lads showed up. The 20km out to the start was straight into the mouth of a stiff headwind and was just not fun. I had calculated with riders going off every 30 secs I'd have a maximum of 40 mins to get out there and holding 30-31kmh into the headwind was tough work! I was wrecked by the time I hit the start but at least I was warmed up :) There were still a couple of lads to go so I had a chance to catch a breath. The TT itself was tough and I'd imagine the times were not great. It was straight into the headwind again on the way out, grinding away for just 31-33kmh. I caught 2 on the way out to the 3 roundabouts between 7-8.5km and then chased 2 more who were having a battle in front of me up the hill I usually struggle on. I remembered in rowing races we used to pull a full on 20 or 30 strokes at certain points in a race to get our bowball ahead or to 'take a seat'. I decided to hammer it for 30 pedal strokes up the hill and caught the 2 at the top. The problem then was that I needed some oxygen to return to my muscles so they got a free ride on my tail for a minute before I recovered and put the boot down again. Much of the return was at 45+kmh so it passed quickly. I had nothing for the last cruel km which finishes up a hill. Still, despite the tight calves and hams and general fatigue, I think I gave a decent account of myself and should still be there or thereabouts. I was glad in the end that I got out. It was the first time I wore compression socks on the bike, I was that worried about my calves cramping. Overall 1:45 at 34.2kmh and 148 heart rate.

I'm glad to have the day off today and we have a bake sale at work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

It was the first time I wore compression socks on the bike,

Surely, that is a lifetime ban from the cycling league?:)

Looking forward to 8 hours of abuse when I don a pair at the W200...

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Surely, that is a lifetime ban from the cycling league?:)

Usually I wouldn't dare, but thats how sore my calves were!

Have fun at the W200, the wind seems to have calmed down a bit today (typical, my day off :rolleyes:). Lets hope its stays relatively calm for the weekend. Are you doing it on your TT rig too?

Are you doing it on your TT rig too?

Ehhh, no.

I'm not sure I'd even make it to Enniskerry on the TT bike at the moment, so will be liberally engaging the triple as soon as any road starts to ramp.

Won't stop me wearing calf guards though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well Mike, Just catching up there. Great result for you in Spiddal - nice going.
    But I have to say I'm more impressed with your 1:16 100m PB, Wow. Very close to the 1:10 mark now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

1:16 100m..... jaysus!! Fair play Mike.

Weekly numbers - IM Phase week 10 of 13
    23-26 May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|21:00|448.94
    Swimming|3|3:18|3.6 OW, 6.4 pool
    Cycling|4|10:37|355.81
    Running|6|6:25|83.13
    Conditioning|--|0:50|core

Key sessions done last week
    Long Run: 32km
    Long Bike: 182km and practiced race nutrition :)
    OW swim: 3.6km

A pretty solid week put down and very pleased with it. All long sessions done and got through the key session at the weekend. It was a tough week to round off a block of 3 weeks building. My body needs this recovery week now and I should probably book in a session to flush out the legs. I remember reading an article a while back about putting your best energy into a key session, that if you were going to toast yourself on any session in the week, make it the one that will count most towards the IM. The long run and long brick both toasted me this week and its like all of the other sessions were of no significance. I'm happy with this. The rec week will be about easy easy and letting my legs in particular recover for the last 2 week block of training.
    3 weeks to taper ... :eek:

Planned key sessions this week
    A shortened 1.5hr long run at IM pace
    A 3.8k OW swim relaxed and easy
    An easy 2-3 hour group bike, probably with the club, spinning the small ring

Saturday evening easy brick
    This was an easy session just to re activate the legs after a day off. 1:40 Z1 turbo watching the rugby. My heart rate did climb a little when Leinster were camped on our line. 0:40 easy run afterwards. Overall it felt rather lazy. Dist 55.4km/8.2km at <130 hr.

Sunday afternoon long brick (Key Session) at IM pace
    This was bloody tough. The numbers were good but I was wasted after it. 182.5km bike in 5:10 including 180km TT in 5:04 at an average of 35.4kmh, heart rate 143. In fact it was above IM pace but I just worked hard. I did 2 out and back laps of the old N7 between Limerick and Nenagh for the first 4 hours and mostly down on the bars. The first hour was mostly tailwind and I sailed along but then the return to Limerick was straight into the headwind and it sucked the life out of me. My legs felt toasted after 3 hours but I kept eating, drinking and working. When I got back to Limerick again on the 4 hour mark I really wanted to just go home. I’d spent the last hour again into the wind and my body was very tired. However, I gave out to myself “HTFU Mike, this is the last big session of the programme; you said you would do 180km, now DO IT!” So I continued on out towards Shannon and put down another 40 mins into the wind. I was never so glad to turn for home after 160k. My legs were screaming though. I had a tailwind at this stage but could only repeat the sequence of pedalling for a few mins and freewheeling for 10 secs. I had to stop a couple of times to roll my neck and stretch my back too. I practiced my race nutrition of approx 1800cals intake (700cals over strength carb drink, 3 powerbars and 5 pb gels), although I could have done with another 2 water bottles at least. Once I hit the 180 I spun very easily for a few minutes home. I had originally planned on taking in a climb late in the session but with 3 of the 5 hours done into the wind I didn’t need to, I was working hard enough at that! I have 2 more long bikes left before Roth but neither of them will be anywhere close to this intensity. The will be easy bike with IM pace intervals.

Once off the bike my shoulders, neck and lower back were very stiff and my legs just ached. I spent a minute lying on the floor, a minute stretching and then took on another gel with plenty of water before heading out the door again for a transition run. I found my running stride straight away and my legs actually felt ok. My neck and shoulders loosened up and I ran as steady and relaxed as I could. It was feeling good actually given how I felt getting off the bike just 5 minutes earlier. The first half hour passed ok. I then walked for a few seconds to drown a gel but once I got going again my legs suddenly gave me a signal that they were shot. The second half hour became as much a mental battle as it was physical. It included a long drag for about 1.5km which was tough. It felt really tough and I don’t think I would have even made it to 2 hours. It was one of the most mentally draining 13kms I’ve done throughout this programme but I kept the wheels in motion. An average 4:40 pace and 149 heart rate were perhaps a little high for IM pace but I was happy to hold it together :)

My body was shot when I got home. I gulped back a shake and swallowed a roast dinner before doing 20 minutes of stretching. Then I rolled the quads... Ouch! I was completely wrecked but pleased with the session. On the day of the race I won’t have a 20 mile run and a TT in the legs that week and with fresh legs on the bike and more water I should feel much better on the run. I’m under no illusions though; the IM Marathon will be nothing like a straight Marathon. You hurt plenty in the last 10k of a straight Marathon; I can’t even imagine the torture of the last 10k of an IM one but bring it on!!

40 days to go... :D

• Advertisement

Monday evening long OW swim
    I headed out with 2 other lads but one turned back after 500 and the other after 750 so I plugged away myself. The wind had died down to a breeze so the water was calm and even warmish in spots. It was a lovely evening and I found a groovy steady rhythm. Swam steady for 70mins for about 4k. Very enjoyable. I had a good feel for the water and kept the stroke long throughout. The wetsuit felt great and there was no chaffing or stiffness. All good :)

Tuesday morning super easy short swim
    Just a relaxed 2k to grab the swim gold. I normally join the wednesday swim group but as its a recovery week I am avoiding that craziness. Its supposed to be a nice weekend and I'm hoping to get down to Kilkee for a swim in the bay. I'd love to be doing the HOTW but its too tough an olympic distance race to do 2 weeks from the IM and its not one you can cruise around either. Maybe a relay team will be short a leg on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Sunday afternoon long brick (Key Session) at IM pace
    This was bloody tough. The numbers were good but I was wasted after it. 182.5km bike in 5:10 including 180km TT in 5:04 at an average of 35.4kmh, heart rate 143. In fact it was above IM pace but I just worked hard. I did 2 out and back laps of the old N7 between Limerick and Nenagh for the first 4 hours and mostly down on the bars. The first hour was mostly tailwind and I sailed along but then the return to Limerick was straight into the headwind and it sucked the life out of me. My legs felt toasted after 3 hours but I kept eating, drinking and working. When I got back to Limerick again on the 4 hour mark I really wanted to just go home. I’d spent the last hour again into the wind and my body was very tired. However, I gave out to myself “HTFU Mike, this is the last big session of the programme; you said you would do 180km, now DO IT!” So I continued on out towards Shannon and put down another 40 mins into the wind. I was never so glad to turn for home after 160k. My legs were screaming though. I had a tailwind at this stage but could only repeat the sequence of pedalling for a few mins and freewheeling for 10 secs. I had to stop a couple of times to roll my neck and stretch my back too. I practiced my race nutrition of approx 1800cals intake (700cals over strength carb drink, 3 powerbars and 5 pb gels), although I could have done with another 2 water bottles at least. Once I hit the 180 I spun very easily for a few minutes home. I had originally planned on taking in a climb late in the session but with 3 of the 5 hours done into the wind I didn’t need to, I was working hard enough at that! I have 2 more long bikes left before Roth but neither of them will be anywhere close to this intensity. The will be easy bike with IM pace intervals.

Once off the bike my shoulders, neck and lower back were very stiff and my legs just ached. I spent a minute lying on the floor, a minute stretching and then took on another gel with plenty of water before heading out the door again for a transition run. I found my running stride straight away and my legs actually felt ok. My neck and shoulders loosened up and I ran as steady and relaxed as I could. It was feeling good actually given how I felt getting off the bike just 5 minutes earlier. The first half hour passed ok. I then walked for a few seconds to drown a gel but once I got going again my legs suddenly gave me a signal that they were shot. The second half hour became as much a mental battle as it was physical. It included a long drag for about 1.5km which was tough. It felt really tough and I don’t think I would have even made it to 2 hours. It was one of the most mentally draining 13kms I’ve done throughout this programme but I kept the wheels in motion. An average 4:40 pace and 149 heart rate were perhaps a little high for IM pace but I was happy to hold it together :)

My body was shot when I got home. I gulped back a shake and swallowed a roast dinner before doing 20 minutes of stretching. Then I rolled the quads... Ouch! I was completely wrecked but pleased with the session. On the day of the race I won’t have a 20 mile run and a TT in the legs that week and with fresh legs on the bike and more water I should feel much better on the run. I’m under no illusions though; the IM Marathon will be nothing like a straight Marathon. You hurt plenty in the last 10k of a straight Marathon; I can’t even imagine the torture of the last 10k of an IM one but bring it on!!

40 days to go... :D

Fantastic stuff, although I don't know whether to be inspired or to cower in a corner in fear when I read a training entry like that! IMO, the achievement of Ironman is as much, if not more, in the training than the actual event, and the dedication shown by you Ironman heads is phenomenal.
    It's going to be a good day in Roth...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great going MCOS. Nothing like a long tough ride to give you confidence.

I'm not sure I'd even make it to Enniskerry on the TT bike at the moment, so will be liberally engaging the triple as soon as any road starts to ramp.

Won't stop me wearing calf guards though!smile.gif

Would you like a basket for the front of your bike to carry your ham sangers Fred?:D

griffin100 wrote: »
    Would you like a basket for the front of your bike to carry your ham sangers Fred?:D

Will be a nice touch to finish off the look - just getting fitted (X-small) for the polka dot jersey...:)

Is anyone else findng it almost impossible to drag yourself out of bed this week? I'm glad I'm on a rec week as I'm as lazy as can be about training.

I was supposed to get a 'long' run out of the way this morning as I have an evening of DIY in front of me so now its a case of sneaking a run in before thats due to commence. Ah well at least the weather is improving for a few days and the plan is...
    Thursday - Club TT in the sunshine
    Friday - Day off, BBQ in the sunshine
    Saturday - Swim and/or cycle in Kilkee in the sunshine

Well here's hoping anyway... :pac:

Tuesday evening short brick
    A week off hill climbing yay. So instead it was 80 mins easy turbo followed by a build run. Build as in: 10mins@ 4:30 pace, 10mins@ 4:15 pace, 15min@ <4:00 pace. The turbo felt awful for the first half hour but that was just my legs taking ages to warm up. I guess the fitter you get the longer it takes to warm up to your zone. I also think I need to cange the stretcing routine as my hamstrings are just not getting any looser. Yoga will definitely be incorporated into the Marathon plan after Roth.

May 2011 Summary
    The Highs:
    My first tri podium, a Joey pb, a 100m pool pb, a 5mile pb, improved hill climbing, 3 solid long bikes, better running mileage, swimming consistency, OW swimming and am hanging onto 2nd in the TT league with a few weeks to go :)
    The Lows:
    DNF at the GLR, the hip flexor, motivation at times, over eating :o

Overall though it was a solid month with my highest volume done to date
    14 hours swimming - 44.2km
    35 hours cycling - 1215.9km
    21 hours running - 286.5km
    4 hours core

Also the numbers so far this year against 2010 shows the effect of embarking on an Ironman Distance journey
    Swimming - 178km 2010 vs 200km 2011 +12%
    Cycling - 2846km 2010 vs 5060km 2011 +78%
    Running - 829km 2010 vs 1458km 2011 +76%

38 days to Roth...
    Yep its getting scarily close. June is the the last month and as such crucial for staying healthy and not overdoing anything. I have 2 Peak weeks to get through before I taper. It will be much of the same but will incorporate a lot of judging my IM pace with RPE only. I have just one key session left which is a long day but not intense. It will serve as a platform to create the race plan. I will also aim to hit race weight by the end of June too.

Wednesday evening shorter 'long' run
    It was quite a muggy evening with the sun threatening to break the thick clouds. 16km as 2*8km laps of suburbia the first at 4:30 pace and the next at 4:19 pace. I basicaly ran easy and shifted up a gear for the second lap. I felt quite heavy and the stride was a bit tight and flat. I think I burned more calories afterwards though dismantling a kitchen with a sledgehammer :D

Slept in AGAIN this morning, missing a swim...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just catching up with the logs Mike, well done on the long bike session and river swim, you are making this IM training lark seem easy. I am looking forward to seeing your bike split in Roth as i think it is going to be right up there with some of the fast times on the day. If you are hitting that pace on our roads it will seem easy for you in Roth on good roads.
    Based on your training and efforts you deserve much more than a sub 10hr and i do not think Tunney was far off with his projected time if i am being honest.

Good work!!

The sun is splitting the rocks today ad its a rest day. There is also not a breath of wind! No doubt it will reurn when I get stuck into the last short block of training....

Thursday evening club TT
    It was so nice to be out cycling in the evening sunshine with only a mild breeze, Just over 69km covered in just under 2 hours including the club 15km TT. I dropped the PB by another 2 seconds to 22:31 which is just one second off the 40kmh Elite cut off time. There is still plenty of time to be gained on the hills but I can cruise at 40kmh on the flats now. I wouldn't mind having a crack off a flatter 25 or 50 mile TT. The legs needed a good 45 mins at IM pace to warm up but felt good once I got them going. I had the desire to stay out longer or to run off the bike which I didn't do but is a good sign that I'm recovering some energy :)

... I'm a little stumpted actually on the last block of training. Its basically 5 weeks to Roth. 2 weeks IM training and then taper. I don't feel the need to do another long hard IM pace bike or a 3 hour run as they both take too much out of me. All of the IM literature suggests I should be hitting my last 2 'big weeks' on these weeks. Hmmm.. I certainly won't be doing any mammoth sessions or long IM paced sessions. I think the focus will be on OW swimming, hill reps, brick runs and IM pace segements and end the 2 weeks motivated. I shoud be chomping at the bit during taper ...

@Jackyback - sub10 is the goal dude, no inflated targets here I won't risk it. 9:5X will have me over the moon for my first IM. I'm looking forward to the Y% less effort required to hold the target pace on nice roads alright. The heat on the run could be the deciding factor between a sub10 and a 10:15+

Weekend sessions

Saturday afternoon Training Triathlon
    I decided that since I wasn't doing the HOTW this year, I'd do my own extended training version. Basically 3k/60/10k around the course.
    Swim - long and steady over and back the bay a few times. The water was choppy but lovely and I really enjoyed it.
    Bike - around the HOTW course + Loop Head. It was WINDY! The first 3km is a climb and with the wind directly in your face, your heart rate climbs as you go, even spiining easy! I meandered around the course at about 30kmh which was a push in places and dead easy in places. I continued through Kilkee up the Dunlicky road and out to Loop Head before meeting a cross looking Bull blocking the road. I was so busy enjoying the scenery that I got a bit too close for comfort. He stared at me and didn't budge so I turned back. The return to Kilkee was only about 8k but it was a slog into the gusty wind rising up over the cliffs.
    Run - I threw the bike in the car and ran at IM pace back over the run course. Its a toughenough course even running easy. I finished the session off with a stretch and a chicken curry :D

Overall a very enjoyable 4 hour version of the Hell of the West :)

Sunday morning easy bike
    Just a lap of the HOTW course with a small group. No fast lads in the gang though so they dropped off bit by bit leaving me to spin around the second half on my own. Again about 30kmh kind of average pace but the wind had dropped a little and had become more northerly and colder. Still, back to the house in time for the sauages and rashers :)

Sunday afternoon run commute
    We were heading into Doonbeg to the Jazz festival so I decided to run there from Kilkee. Caz cycled alongside for company. It was about 11.5km and one of the most enjoyable runs all year. I felt great and despite the wind and hills trotted along at sub 4:20 pace at a low RPE. I felt good and fresh. Met up with some friends and enjoyed the Jazz and a few drinks.

Weekly numbers - IM Phase week 11 of 13

30-5 June|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|13:26|269.1
    Swimming|3|2:45|2 pool, 7 OW
    Cycling|4|6:47|214.1
    Running|4|3:24|46
    Conditioning|--|0:20|core

It was a recovery week so I trained as I felt. No long bike and lots of easy stuff. Overall I felt good and my body recovered from the big session last weekend. I feel like tapering now but just 2 more weeks of work before that :)

Last 5 weeks now... :D

Monday morning Big Bay swim
    The Tri club had organised with Kilkee Dive Centre to do a swim across the Bay from Burns Cove to the Diving Boards, about 1.3km across. A few of us swam both ways. It was an interesting OW swim to say the least. A few degrees colder than the bay in at the beach for starters and we had to swim through 150m of jellyfish to get out of the cove. A few got freaked out and turned back. Once out of the cove it was 5-6ft swells and quite gnarly. I loved it though and found a good stroke. We met more jellies once we got with 100m of the diving boards again. Its a strange feeling scooping them with your catch or them bouncing off your head! It was a very enjoyable swim and I was very grateful for the support boats out making it possible. A few nutters did the cross without wetsuits. It was a a bit more difficult to sight on the return but 2.6k in 40 mins was making good of it. Again, very enjoyable... :)

• Advertisement

...or so it felt

Tuesday morning long swim in the pool
    In stark contrast to being thrown about by the sea yesterday, I was bored to tears in the pool this morning. I planned to swim 4k straight in about 70 mins which I did but I had to take a couple of breathers just to refocus. I kept losing track of how many lengths I had done/to go and I was thirsty. I checked my pace here and there and it was usually around 1:45ish. This should have been easy but didn't feel this way. The fitness was there alright but the stroke was lazy, short, ugly and inefficient in so many other ways. I went through a few moments of focus and copping on but when that effort only mustered a pace of 1:41 I just dropped back to the plodding. This swim had me thinking that I'll be thrilled with a ballpark 65-70 IM swim on the day. One to forget but its done thankfully.

No room to get the long bike in this week so the last 2 long bikes will have to be incorporated into next week. At least it will make it feel like a final peak week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You have been doing some big distances in the swims recently (especially OW) so its probably just tiredness. After a full taper and rest you will be in great shape for an excellent swim.
    I would love to have the swim ability to get out of the water 30/40 mins quicker but not for this year:) I read an interesting article on this in the last edition of TE and it just highlights the fact the longer you are in the water the more fatigued you are and the more carb depleted you are when starting fueling on the bike. It can make the IM day a long and painful one with a very slow swim!!

Tuesday evening turbo torture...
    I had hill climbing down on the plan but wasn't in the mood for the wind and rain. So, the turbo came out for 2 hours instead. I didn't feel good at all. I threw a straight hour of work into it, 50mins at 80% and 10mins at 90%. My quads were burning by the end of it. I though that maybe I was just out of sync with the turbo of late but I was wrecked after work and had an hour kip before getting on it reluctantly. I ditched the swim this morning and felt shattered getting up an hour after the alarm. A cautious long run due this evening. I'm breaking it into laps to give me an out of my body still feels like this :rolleyes:

@ Jackyback - Ok you spend less time in the water but you are burning through the Carbs at a faster rate too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its not a three hour run. Its 9x20 easy with no recovery
    its not a 5 hour IM bike its 25x12 at IM pace with no recovery

Its a small change in how you perceive sessions that has a huge difference

Wednesday evening long run
    Yesterday was one of those mornings where I just got out of the wrong side of the bed and a cloud seemed to follow me around all day. It is true what Tunney eludes to in the above post in that breaking down your goal to bite sized chunks is a sure fire way to seeing it through. Indeed its a successful mantra for Life in general not just a training session. I applied it to last nights long run. You would figure I'd be raring to go this week with it the IM so close. On the contrary however, I'm missing early moring swims and fighting with a lack of motivation to get out the door after work :rolleyes: There was a moment of hope during the run though to lift me from this valley and set me back on the right path to my peak fitness over the next few weeks.
    The plan: 30k in about 2:30, broken down as 4*7.5km loops at 4:45 pace
    Actual: 26.75km in 2 hours, covering about 3.5 loops at avg 4:27 pace

For some reason it felt like an important run. I didn't look at the watch until around 16km as I was focusing on just geting from this lamp post to the next. The first lap was just a struggle. At one point there was a torrential downpour for about 3 minutes and I stood under a tree waiting for it to pass. I was having thoughts about a shortcut home when I saw another lad out running in it. Cue a HTFU pill washed down with some SIU as Tunney himself would say and I got going again. As the shower reduced to a drizzle the sun shone though and I started to feel happy. I picked up a stride and passed the guy who passed me standing under the tree. I felt my heart rate settle and my legs warm up as I finished lap 1. There was still a shred of doubt hanging on dragging me towards home but I ignored it and pressed on to lap 2. That was the moment I defeated the defeatest attitude I had irritating me all day. The next lap was a joy of running. I smiled at people and embraced the fresh arctic air blowing over our little Island. I spotted Caz out running too and even felt a lift from that. It was a 180 degree turn in attitude. My pace felt comfortable but fresh and I had bags of energy since I had decided on a dinner for lunch approach for days with heavy sessins after work.

I cruised the 3rd lap too but began to feel a slight niggle on the back of my right knee. My hammers and calves were tight too. I met Caz again at the end of lap 3 and she was on her way home. I considered opting out of the last loop then but compromised with doing half of it. I spent 30 minutes doing some core afterwards. Planks, sit ups and yoga stretches on my hamstrings and calves particularly. Looking at the numbers , the pace had been a bit brisk for a long run but at 150avg HR I felt comfortable at that. No more dossing now, one session at a time... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

IMO MCOS you might be feeling a little less motivated because....you are ready. You are ready now just to go and do it, all the training with little racing may have you (and your body) thinking "what's all this training for?" So all thats left to do is get yourself to the start line feeling fresh and healthy. I'd start upping the Vit C and whatever else you feel keeps you healthy. Almost there now dude :)

Thursday evening brick including 15km TT
    It was a fresh but cold evening so I donned the winter base layer.. in June FFS :rolleyes: I held IM pace into a slight headwind on the way out to the Club TT and then posted 22:39 for it. Conditions were a bit tougher than last week with a stiffer colder headwind on the way out. By 9km you have the headwind, technical section and main hill out of the way so its about building the avg speed back up until you hit the cruel finishing hill. Last week I was at avg 38.5kmh at this point and ended up with 39.9. Last night I was down at 37.4 but clawed it back to average 39.7kmh. I was happy with this as I still had the long run from the previous day in the legs. I spun back in the road chatting with one of the lads and did another 15km TT by myself once he peeled off. 72km in 2 hours unfeulled had me feeling good and ropey for the run. It was just a very easy half hour though. Anymore and I'd have been eating on the bike and taking a gel before the run. I was low for a finish but it was a solid workout.

Friday morning swim group
    I finally got my lazy ass out of the scratcher for a morning group swim. The main set was 16*100 off 1:45 and this would normally be one of the easier menus the Coach would dish up. He did have us doing 4 flat out 50s after the warm up though just to loosen us up for them. I found them tougher than usual. I had to wrok hard but realised also that I was pulling to hard at the catch and wearing my shoulders out. I focused on a higher elbow, softer catch and roll and I got through the set with what felt like less energy (more efficient perhaps :confused:). My legs felt quite sensitive to cramps and sure enough one hit me in the changing room on the ball of my left foot putting on my shoe. Twas unpleasant.

@El Director - interesting point dude. Yes at this stage I kind of just want to get on with it. I have just 9 more days IM training though and then its taper time :D Despite the fatigue though I am feeling good in general.

Friday evening swim-run brick
    I had originally planned a normal easy bike run brick but got a call to go swimming on the river again and took it up to give my legs a break. 4K with the technician which was quite enjoyable. We swam side by side for 3k but then I faded and she pulled away. I was pleased though, a year ago I wouldn't have kept up for 3 minutes let alone 3k. That said,she was doing speed bursts and kicking drills and other things that swimmers have to do to occupy themselves for a session. I was just happy to swim for a bit over an hour at IM RPE. I started the run low though and my legs felt extremely heavy and lifeless. They loosened out over the 9.5k and an average pace of 4:39 was quicker than it felt.

Saturday morning recovery turbo
    I had planned 2 hours easy before work but could only hack 90 mins or so and that was utter junk. My quads felt like I was flogging a dead horse... There was nothing recovery about it.

Saturday afternoon easy run
    Just a 40 min lunchtime run around the usual route. RPE was no higher than IM pace and the sun was out so enjoyable enough. My legs still felt a bit like wooden planks hence the roller is coming out later tonight after a core session. I also noticed my Adidas felt a little flat so I'm debating whether to get another pair and break them in for Roth... I felt ropey again today but the run has lifted me somewhat. To further lift the spirits I won a bet with someone who is now baking me a tray of brownies next week. Also, I logged onto a Poker account I had years ago while tidying up the lap top files recently only to see a few dollars sitting in there. I played a quick game and hey presto, won a few dollars and cashed out for a change. I had forgotten about it until I checked my current account today and turns out I will only have to fork out for half a pair of new Adidas! The vibe is good and hopefully fortune really does favour the brave. I'm going to give Roth every ounce of what I've got on the day for that sub10 :D

• Advertisement

Sunday short easy pace run with 3k tempo thrown in.
    Due to work and family commitments my planned 7 hour weekend dissolved to a total of an hour run and an hour bike just to eliminate guilt more than anything else. As a result I fell way way short of the planned volume for last week with my bike stats resembling a rookie training for a sprint more than someone with an IM looming. I dare not step on the scale :o

So, onto the last week of IM training. 6 days to Taper...

Monday morning group swim with the fish
    Felt like death warmed up this morning but managed to drag myself up and down the pool for a main set pace that would have me blowing a gasket half way through the bike phase. The sun is out so I'll soak it up for a short run after work to invigorate the spirit. Last key long session planned for tomorrow, its one I have to psyche up for.

Advertisement