Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thursday evening bike-run brick
    Ah finally, some Calories out this week :D Circa 66k/9k brick which was a decent session given how fat and stodgy I felt. Anyway, job done on the TT league despite posting a sluggish 23:06 for the 15km. I chose a slightly longer route out to it thinking my legs might need a good long warm up from the 4 days of inactivity. It felt horrid for about half an hour. I was cycling into the wind and holding IM pace to get me going. The entire length of my left hamstring was straining and I genuinely for a moment felt completely unfit to be facing an IM in 2 weeks. At about 35 mins though the pain subsided and my legs began to work more efficiently. My heart rate dropped too. It was a cool evening and wearing short sleeves I got a bit cold waiting in line to start. My temporary nemesis was further back so I just had to go without a target. I started well but cycling into the wind and not making good of the drags on the way out saw my avg speed drop as low at 35.4kmh, the lowest I've been all series. By the half way point I was well over a minute off my PB pace. I was passing people but nobody significant, then I saw him coming the opposite direction as I climbed the worst hill. We both glanced at each other and it was game on, hammer time! I put the boot down and dragged my avg speed kicking and screaming back up to 39+ before the final hill. I figured a sub 23 would land me in at least 2nd spot for my category for the night and that would suffice but I struggled on the last hill and the clock ticked over to 23:06 or so. 35 secs off my PB but pretty decent for where I was at half way. It turned out to be enough too to pick up the silverware so happy days :) I spun back into Limerick on a wheel and with a tailwaind and ran an easy 43 mins off the bike. It felt good just to be moving again. The mojo is at arms reach now, I just need to hit racing weight and I'll be good to go.

I had the Kitzbuhel ITU World Series Tri recorded on the box and watched it when I got home. I was kind of mesmerised by Alistair Brownlee. They had wetsuits on and at 17 minute pace he felt they were swimming too slowly :eek: He lead most of the bike and then killed them all off on the run. It was like he was a senior athlete in an underage race... awesome stuff! I had my eyes peeled for those lasses we spoted in El Director's log too in the womens race but no joy... Finlay looks equally untouchable at the moment. I kind of felt for the uber swimmer Haskins, a proper world class swimmer but no matter how good a swimmer you are, you are always going to lose to a better runner...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The difference 24 hours can make! :cool: Well done on the "silverware" :cool:

Might see you over the weekend. Heading down to register tonight. I hope the weather in Kilkee is better than Galway. Wet and windy here. There was a big swell in the sea here last night. Made for an interesting but enjoyable swim. :D

Friday long swim - run brick
    Full IM 3.8km swim in Kilkee Bay followed by a hilly 22km out and back run from Kilkee to Doonbeg. The swim was over an back the bay a few times following the beach. It was windy thus choppy and I had to switch from my preffered bilateral breathing to every 4 towards the beach. The water was murky too from the rainfall. I swam as comfortably as I could in the gnarly chop. At least 3.8k put down in 1:05. Occupied myself counting strokes, counting crabs scurrying beneath and trying to keep up with a guy walking along the beach. Out of the wetsuit and run gear on in under 5 minutes and off on the run straight up the Hell of the West. I had a tail wind on the way out so the 11km was covered comfortably and easy in 52 minutes. I had planned a negative split run but it was going to be a tough ask running back into a strong to very strong wind. It was drizzling too with the wind pushing it straight into my face :mad: It only required an extra gear on the RPE scale until I hit the HOTW climb again and then it was impossible to run easy. My heart rate was beating through my chest leaning forward and pumping my arms hard to get up it. The direct headwind made it feel like twice the gradient. I was happy to get up it without stopping! Its going to test people in the race tomorrow there is no doubt about it. My heart rate was working now so I just held a good pace back into Kilkee and then checked the watch. Just under 51 minutes for the return 11km keeping it as comfortable as I could! I don't know how I came back faster but the gnarly conditions just meant you had to get stuck into them. 1:43 for the 22km. The back was ok but there is a little niggle in my knee I need to monitor. Overall it felt like very good session in challenging conditions. HELLO MOJO :D

Saturday afternoon swim - bike brick.
    It was a long day in Kilkee. Up at 7am for marshalling duties and crashed on a mate's couch at 4am after the obligitary dancing duties :) There was a spot of training lobbed in between. A 40 minute easy swim in the Bay followed by a lap of the HOTW bike route. I was interested to see if it was possible to hammer it fully down the hill. Yep. On the bars and flat out around the bend at 60+kmh for nearly 3 mins. I sustained the momentum and hit the 20k mark in 29 mins without pushing too hard. I knew the wind was brutal for the return though so I just spun back easy not wanting to take too much out of the legs.

Sunday afternoon hangover swim and recovery session
    Zipped up and hopped into the Bay again around Midday for 45 mins. I did a few short out and back to one of the boats with 2 others then one cross over and back the whole beach. I accelerated every 30 strokes out and swam easy back. I got out with stars around my head! I got a very gentle cycle and run in later in the evening.

I didn't get training this week until Thursday as I wanted to give my back the recovery time but 3 OW swims, 3 bikes and 3 runs over the weekend was solid work. I feel fresher today than I did at this time last week which is good. Weight is at 76.2kg, not ideal but I still hope I can hit a racing weight of 74 next Monday.

With 12 days to go I'm in proper taper mode now. The focus this week is:
    Sleep
    Sorting out all of the logistics.
    A couple of swims to keep a feel for the water I got over the weekend.
    A couple of 2 hour bikes, one with a tempo finish and the other easy.
    No long run.
    Yoga.
    Visualisation.
    Create a race plan.

I'm already keen to do a long brick session which can only be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Mike - Are you flying to Munich like Izoard and I 7.20am Aer Lingus Fri am?

• Advertisement

Nope flying out Wednesday. How are you set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Whatever about your logistics - I think you are pretty safe on the race prep side.

Continuing on the inspirational quotes stuff - following this, JB's and other logs, brings to mind that much quoted Ali line:

"The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights."

5 hour turbos, massive solo efforts in the pi$$ing rain in Jan etc., is where the achievement is - once the lights are turned on in Roth, Bolton or anywere else, that's just the payback...

@ Izoard - I'm counting on it!

Monday evening swim -run brick
    For some reason I'm liking the idea of these varied bricks I'm doing. Is like putting the final touches to some structure. Last night was a 50min OW swim followed by a 30min run. The swim was up and down a 500m line of buoys for a regatta course. I shared it with the training rowing crews. The Coach in the launch slows down for scullers so as not to create a wash for the delicate shell to rock. He extended the same courtesy to me the lone swimmer in the river which was good of him. I swam up and down for 3k following the line of buoys but I felt a bit tired and wandered offline at times. I could tell that my natural line was costing me maybe 15-20 secs per 500 which would add up to 2-3 mins in an IM swim. I must sight more! My run legs felt a little sluggish at first but then felt good once the bloodflow redirected itself. It was at IM pace and felt comfortable.

I've ordered another pair of the same runenrs I plan to use in Roth next week a half size bigger. Adidas Response Cushion 19s. I found the size I got a few months ago was a bit tight, albeit really comfy and I really felt it at the Connemara Marathon running downhill and again recently running on warmer days. Roth will more than likely be 30 odd degrees so the toes will need more room. Comfort is everything for long distance. The thing is I'll just have 2-3 short runs to break them in. Its a soft shoe so this should not be a problem.

Tuesday evening 'long' run
    It was just 70 mins but thats the tapered version of a long run. I injected some intensity to this one building the pace every 5k before an easy cool down. It was a good run actually, worthy of a recovery shake. The chocolate shake tasted like a treat since I'm off my usual vices :)

Wednesday morning Yoga
    Hmmm a different instructor from the usual. It was a good bit slower and less 'cruel' that the norm. The focus was more on flexibility than balance and as such it was generally less sweaty. The usual instructor counts to 8 but does it in a decellarating manner (until we show real hurt on our faces). This instructor's count on core work to 8 was more like 4 secs though so we got off lighter this morning :D I enjoyed the longer stretches. I needed them. 15 mins super easy on the gym bike chatting to mates. All in all I feel pretty good today!

Just ticking over - did a 10k race Sunday sub 39 for first time so happy with that I suppose. Oh and I bought a new bike yesterday :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think i will bring Izo over to Bolton purely for his pep talks:)

handangeo wrote: »
    Just ticking over - did a 10k race Sunday sub 39 for first time so happy with that I suppose. Oh and I bought a new bike yesterday :D:D:D

Very good well done on the 10k, in good shape so to have a craic at it! What bike did you get? Nice timing too. Make sure you get it set up. Izo has my number so it would be good to hook up with you 2 on the Friday for the night run maybe. I can't bloody wait to soak up the atmosphere!

@JB - defo, and griffin100 for the humour...

Sounds like all the pieces are really coming together dude! Happy days. :cool:

T-10, man the time has flew....

Very good well done on the 10k, in good shape so to have a craic at it! What bike did you get? Nice timing too. Make sure you get it set up. Izo has my number so it would be good to hook up with you 2 on the Friday for the night run maybe. I can't bloody wait to soak up the atmosphere!

Thanks - Felt B2 Pro with Zipps :cool: - It looks the business.

Not long to go now - see you on the Friday night!

[QUOTE=handangeo;73036046
    Thanks - Felt B2 Pro with Zipps :cool: - It looks the business.

Not long to go now - see you on the Friday night![/QUOTE]

That's got to knock at least an hour off your bike time...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Izoard wrote: »

I'd hope it would knock an hour and half off at that price!
    You could have bought a car for that! ;)

Still cant swim fast enough :( ! So I need it to catch up on the rest of you!

Still cant swim fast enough :( ! So I need it to catch up on the rest of you!

The main thing is that it looks good - by far the most important factor in any IM race...

The main thing is that it looks good - by far the most important factor in any IM race...

You said it man :D

What year is it handageo? They're a sweet ride. I got one a few months back, it's the red one from 2009. No Zipp wheels though - a stretch too far unfortunately.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    What year is it handageo? They're a sweet ride. I got one a few months back, it's the red one from 2009. No Zipp wheels though - a stretch too far unfortunately.

2011 Black - theres €1500 off in Wheelworx at the moment plus I managed to sell my Felt B2 to my brother in law. Its 1.6lb lighter - it better go as fast as it looks :eek:

@handangeo - sweet bike there, you'd get 2 of mine + a PM for it :o Well wear at Roth dude

Wednesday evening bike - run brick
    I hadn't been out with the wednesday group yet this year as it usually turns into a race home. It suited my plan this evening though, 2 hours steady with 20 mins tempo near the finish. I was uber efficient to get out of work and meet the group of 20+ as they left the meeting point. It was a pleasant breezy evening. We had one light extended drizzle but that faded. The group rolled along very easy for an hour. I was pulling it along then for about 10 minutes into the wind when a few went flying past. I bridged immediately but noticed we had lost the main group. I hung back and dragged the group back into contact. This happened a second time and I did the same. With about 20km left home we hit a long hill and that broke thigs up. I pushed up it dropping one at a time until I was alone. I swung down onto the main road and now had the tail wind. I glanced back and saw a few chasing me. I figured I'd make them work so I got down on the bars and put the boot down for 2km at 50-55kmh. That did the trick. I continued at a steadier threshold for another 20 mins alone before winding down 10 mins from home. The run then was a very easy 20 mins. It wasn't quite off the bike though as I got a call from a Mate as I got in the door who did his first IM at Nice at the weekend and he entertained me for 30mins with his excited report of a brilliant event. The 20 min run then went by in the blink of an eye as I immersed my thoughts in the atmosphere he described. It was a good session, I felt great on the bike and enjoyed it. Again the recovery shake tasted like a treat :)

I went for a rub this morning and she got rightly stuck into my gluts, quads, hams and calves. Althought I'm reeling a little from that I generally feel pretty good. The excitement is building, I'm sleeping peacefully, eating well, all niggles flushed out... I simply cannot wait for it now :D

Only page 3 this morning, the loggers are slacking :rolleyes:

Thursday - nada, rest day
    I had planned for an OW recovery swim after work. It was a lovely evening too and I was even planning on doing in sans wetsuit. The office was mad though and I was weary by the time I sat in the car. I decided nothing was to be gained from a tired swim so I chilled out at home and dove into a book instead of the water...

Friday morning group swim session
    Its been while since I've seen the pool actually. I attempted to hide in the slower lane again but the Coach turfed me out after the warm up. No fish down this morning so I did the bulk of the leading for the main set. 2 hard 400s and 8 steady 100s later and I took an early shower leaving them off to do some sprinting work. I felt pretty good, probably the best swim I've had in a long time actually.

I'm looking forward to mucking about with shotgunjunior this weekend because that will take my mind off IM stuff for a bit. I 'only' have a 2 hour easy bike to do before he awakes tomorrow morning and a sleep in Sunday woohoo :)

Forecast is 25c for Sunday 10th July - Its going to be hot, hot, hot :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I really cannot believe it is only 8 days away, you seem to have nailed the taper.
    Make sure you get some sort of hat for the run in that heat as i could have done with one to keep the sun off in Barca which was similiar conditions.

Forecast is 25c for Sunday 10th July - Its going to be hot, hot, hot :cool:
    Thats nice, I thought it might be in the 30s! 25 is still very warm for a long day out though.. some rain on the run would suit me nicely but looks rather unlikely :cool:
    I really cannot believe it is only 8 days away, you seem to have nailed the taper.
    Make sure you get some sort of hat for the run in that heat as i could have done with one to keep the sun off in Barca which was similiar conditions.
    Yep, white cap ready.

Saturday silly o clock bike - run brick
    Ah the last one, well besides the quick 3 discipline tune up the day before the evvent itself. basically a 2.5 hour brick at IM pace. The clock went off at 5 and I hit snooze. 10 mins later I was half awake and debating more sleep and doing it tomorrow vs HTFU. I went with HTFU as its the last proper training session before the race and tomorrow is just a short recovery bike later in the evening. I was not foregoing the sleep in. Just a 2 hour bike so no brekkie, just straight out the door. It was chilly at first but warmed up quickly. I wore full winter gear to ensure I sweated my way through it. I ate a powerbar after an hour and popped a salt tab to try one out before I got off the saddle. I washed both down with lots of water. A short 20 minute transition run yielded no negative side effects of the salt tab so all good on that experiment. There was a light breeze about which felt like it was in your face no matter which way you were headed. I took in some rolling hills but nothing difficult, sustained IM pace for 90mins and then began to ease down. I had to be back before Caz went to work though and wanted to get a run off the bike so I got back up to IM pace after calculating the window of time I had remaining. The bike felt ok only, not bad but not as fresh as I figured it would. The speed and heart rate numbers were good. The run was good too I transitioned from bike legs to run legs in the 20 mins and felt comfortable. Maybe I am just a little stiff from the deep tissue rub on Thursday. Anyway the next session is the race! Otherwise race week training will be short stabby sessions to keep the body alert. I need to study the maps and figure out my race plan now. I think I will have to be satisfied with a 75-76kg race weight. I haven't been anywhere near as disciplined about my diet as I have about training. I'm off all easy sugar and caffeine for race week though. The coffee on race morning and gels during the race should feel like rocket fuel :D

Challenge Roth is now in sight, just 5 days to go. The objective of last week was to wind down actively. It was the lowest volume week of the programme with a couple of 2.5 hour bike-run bricks, a couple of swims, a bit of yoga, a short hard run and a deep rub. I took 2 full rest days. One was planned. The other was a case of substituting a recovery cycle with a family BBQ and the cinema. The sun was out and apart from checking in on IM Austria from time to time it was a day of Life outside of Tri. I ate what I liked and laughed my way through the day. It was a good day :) I'm now on a strict regime this week in anticipation of another good day next Sunday, fingers crossed.

I hit the pool for the last time this morning for the main set only. 2.2km of work and I felt good. I swam hard for half of it hanging onto a fish that would usually drop me easily, I was pleased with that but when I felt my heart rate on my neck I dropped back the line and coasted the rest. I got out before the sprints. My mind was playing things over last night and I didn't sleep well, I hope that by writing down everything logistical this evening will allow me to drift off earlier. It feels like ages since I hve done a long bike or run! The butterflies have started fluttering in my tummy already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Hey

I've been following this log since it started and have really really enjoyed it.

I might not get a chance to read it again before the weekend so I'd like to wish you the very best of luck in Roth. The training and disiplice you've shown overthe months will surely be rewarded with a sub 10,

What ever about anything else make sure you enjoy it - sur isnt that what its supposed to be all about!

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck Mike - iv read this log all along. You powered on through and dealt with all the **** that goes with the training for this.

Trump on to that sub - 10. Looking forward to reading the report already.

Advertisement