Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well MCOS I assume you will be shortly jetting off, packing the bike and all that (do that asap - it always raises my blood pressure, although I'm getting better at it).

I remember stumbling upon this log last year, I couldn't believe that you had already started planning/training so soon after Budapest-I on the other hand took almost 3 months off and it still shows imo, lesson learned. Your level of training, planning and discipline is just incredible, if anyone deserves a sub 10 than it's you man.

I think we should all remember though this is your first attempt at an IM, it's a long day so keep relaxed and ease into it, after all a relaxed swimmer is a more efficient swimmer. Wish I could give you more practical advice dude but something tells me you already know :cool: So just give it your best and remain smart throughout and you'll be fine - I look forward to sitting down with a cup of tea to read this long awaited report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

...Your level of training, planning and discipline is just incredible, if anyone deserves a sub 10 than it's you man.
    +1
    I think we should all remember though this is your first attempt at an IM, it's a long day so keep relaxed and ease into it
    +1
    Wish I could give you more practical advice dude but something tells me you already know

+1
    apart from
    - dont eat yellow snow
    - careful what you eat / where you eat out there before the big day
    - dont go wandering around in the sun / heat before the big day
    - consider the cheaper option for next year ;)

http://www.challenge-roth.com/en/anmeldung/sub9.php

Very best of luck chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Mike. I think its fair to say we all feel as if we have been on the Roth journey with you through following your log.....well apart from having to do the actual hard graft:).
    All the hard work is done, all those cold OW swims with the jellies and tough early morning swim sessions completed, all the silly o clock 5hr turbos completed but not forgotten and all those long runs done and dusted.
    You have truly put in some savage work over the last 36 weeks and made the required sacrifices, i just hope you get that sub10 in Roth as it's well deserved.

Plan It, Execute it and enjoy the spoils!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Mike - See you in Roth

George

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think the lads have said it all so just a simple good luck. And when your in the pain cave remember that long ride when you froze your a'ss in the hail and snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck the weekend. As a plodder I cant give a sub 10hr IM chaser much advice other than to enjoy it - it's your first one and it's one of the must do IM distances races in the world. Looking forward to the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

griffin100 wrote: »
    Best of luck the weekend. As a plodder I cant give a sub 10hr IM chaser much advice other than to enjoy it - it's your first one and it's one of the must do IM distances races in the world. Looking forward to the race report.

+1

You've enjoyed the journey so you may as well enjoy the destination :). Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jeez thanks for the good wishes and PMs guys!! I better feicin' do it now :D:o

Went for a 30 mins easy run this morning in my new shoes. Basically Adidas Sequence Cushion 19s a half size bigger for my hobbits feet to fit into on a hot Marathon. I felt electric. I wanted badly to sprint all out to expend some of it but sense prevailed and saved my hamstrings from that potential carnage...

I plan to hop on the bike tonight for an hour of spinning and I'm actually choosing to do it on the turbo! I want to watch some footage of IMUK last year to get me in the mood and to visualise my race plan. I fear that if I ventured out I'd be too lost in my own visualisation to avoid someone acting the maggot on the road. Plus its lashing.

Taking the bike apart will be a good opportunity to clean her and say some nice words to her before she feels like Snow White before the Ball amongst the bling on the racks. I might set myself a target of overtaking 100 cervelos on the course though to give her a sense of pride :D

If you fancy tracking the 3 Boards amigos at Roth on Sunday
    Hanangeo #2292
    shotgunmcos #940
    Izoard #2649

I don't think I've ever been so nervous/excited about an event. I'm chewing gum more ferverently than Alex Ferguson all day. I'm almost as anxious about getting a CW autograph as I am about seeing 9:5x on the scorecard...

The report is already written, it just needs a happy ending... :) or a collection of colourful excuses :P

You are right about the journey.
    Goal #1 Finish and Enjoy, Goal #2 SUB10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck. Your journey has made for a great reading and provided spades of inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Goals should be a challenge, a stretch of your ability, a journey of self discovery rooted in your values. They must also be realistic and achievable with focus, discipline and hard work. For the most part and importantly, fun too! My 2011 goals encapsulate, for me, all of the above.

#1 Complete an Ironman Distance Triathlon – A Goal
    Quelle Challenge Roth, Bavaria, Germany, July 10 2011 (entered)

This is the biggie. It is the horizon that my mind’s eye has gazed at since I started triathlon in 2009 I had learned to swim the previous winter and although the Iron Distance fascinated me, I really believed it was beyond me. Just finishing a 3.8km swim was a mountain to me let alone a 180km cycle and a Marathon afterwards! I’ve learned a lot in a short space of time, most importantly that you get out of this sport what you put in. This log will mainly concentrate on how I cope with the focus, discipline and hard work that is required to become an Ironman in a busy life.

Deep Breath ... Roll on 2011 :D

PS (just in case) 140.6 = 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run..

I'm sure you remember writing this. You say it all there - you've done the hard work. Now, just go get the reward.

All the best for Roth.

PS. I sincerely hope you achieve that time written in down in your sweaty training diary.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck mcos - it is all set up for a great day out for you.

See you Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

MCOS, have a cracking day and remember to enjoy it.

In the second half of the run, remember that success lies at the end of your comfort zone :D

When you meet CW, photos or it didn't happen!

For the day after, I recommend a beer somewhere near a set of stairs that IM athletes have to negotiate. More fun cannot be had (I may have spent an hour watching people try and get in or out of the lake the day after our race in austria, before putting on a show myself. Funny in a sadistic sort of way) :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Mike. Enjoy it, really hope you achieve what all your hard work deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yo - best of luck in Roth Mike. Was chatting to Macanri about your progress on our warm down laps last night. Smash 10:00:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Enjoy & best of luck, your consistency of training has been quite amazing. You've some engine to get to the start line in the condition you have...the quantity of training and the increase in the relatively short amount of time would suggest you've a lot more in the tank which bodes well for race day. Will be following you on the interweb on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Best of luck Mike, enjoy it. You haven't missed a beat in training. Smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

kingQuez wrote: »
    When you meet CW, photos or it didn't happen!

I wont be in Roth that day - I will be in Salthill doing the Aquathon :D

Good luck Mike - looking forward to the report

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck Mike, i know it'll go well and i look forward to reading the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good luck on Sunday! Hope you smoke those smug Cervelo-heads! And enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck Mike. I think its fair to say we all feel as if we have been on the Roth journey with you through following your log.....well apart from having to do the actual hard graft:).
    All the hard work is done, all those cold OW swims with the jellies and tough early morning swim sessions completed, all the silly o clock 5hr turbos completed but not forgotten and all those long runs done and dusted.
    You have truly put in some savage work over the last 36 weeks and made the required sacrifices, i just hope you get that sub10 in Roth as it's well deserved.

Plan It, Execute it and enjoy the spoils!!

+++++1111 to the above. Have a great experience Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No need to wish you good luck cause you've done the training. Instead, enjoy the damn thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hard luck Mike sounded it like it was a tough affair towards the end. I know you will be dissapointed with not getting the sub10 but 10:07 for your first IM is unreal. No doubt you picked up tonnes of experience from today which you will take into the next IM attempt. Enjoy the rest and have a few well deserved pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Mike - Fantastic result! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

High five mike. Enjoy the after celebrations. Muchos deserved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done. Great result even if it wasn't what you were going for it's an incredible time. Enjoy the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

My first reaction was that I was absolutely gutted for you ... then I copped on

What an amazing achievement and something you should be very proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

mitresize 5 is spot on. well done dude, stand tall this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I am bet you are glad that is over Mike. Alot of blood sweat and tears went into it. I know you are probably crushed over the longest 7 minutes ever but chin up, you've done your first IM and unless you are LCD no one gets near their best out of themselves first time round*. You have learnt alot of the journey and I bet the last leg will have told you lots more about yourself. I think you could knock 50 minutes off your time next time around.

I look forward to your race report. I have a feeling it will be enlightening to many.

*Liam I think you can go faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Guys and Gals thank you for all the support, texts, following me online and commentating etc... Its all really appreciated and I will get around to replying to you all en masse with the most honest report I can muster :o

Long story short as a prelude...

You would think I'd be gutted. I'm not and I'm glad about that. It was my first go (and I had a go!) at the distance, I enjoyed it, and I'm actually happy with my experience. I learned a whole lot as to be expected. I wrote a piece on these boards a while back about Goal Setting and part of it was rewarding yourself when you have achieved it, to cement the feeling. I had my own reward in mind if I achieved ABC. I may have come up a little short but I crossed the line with nothing left. My body hurts today like I've never felt and it feels like I gave it everything I could on the day. For that reason, I'm still going with the reward :D The journey was one rich in self discovery and the event itself an acceleration of that discovery. Lets just say lessons learned and I'll be back with a vengence ;)

Report to follow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good to hear from you Mike. Even better to hear you're happy with the race. Looking forward to the report!

Advertisement