Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Coach reckons I'm good for the sub3 attempt but my hamstrings and belly are telling me otherwise. A bit of turbo then a good long stint on the roller planned for this evening. I'll be in with a chance if I can get to the start with fresh legs. 18 days to go and if I didn't have so much other important life stuff going on I'd be getting nervous. It will be a quick dash of a weekend too. Fly over Saturday, register, short run, eat , sleep, long run at sub 4:15 pace Sunday morning, a few beers and fly home. It will be done and dusted one way or another in 36 hours total.

I have a 5k swim race coming up in 10 days and haven't been in the pool in 2 weeks. So, no snoozing this am and into the pool for a longish steadyish swim of sorts. It was rough to say the least but glad to get it done. Some 15-20 secs per 100 off where I was a few months back :o I'll brave the group swim tomorrow only I'll demote myself from the fast lane. This swim race is more about survival and a bit of fun against a couple of mates than anything else...

Plastering has started in earnest at the house and we are now in serious debating territory about tiles, colours, architraves etc etc... A bit of a hold up on the external insulation as it turns out the non english speaking fella was not certified enough despite being SEAI registered :confused: We also had to give our doors people the boot as they made a ridiculous blunder, hence a lead time on a new crowd to do it right. The kitchen fella is back from his holiday and starting his stuff and the stairs guy handed us a nicely scary quote this morning. All in all though things progressing well and I'm optmistic about moving in at the end of October. Right now all bikes are being regulated down to a shed at the bottom of the garden. This will be a far cry from their current home in the dining room! Not sure I'm thrilled about the PX being down there though...

..em well not really. If you can picture the old USSR gymnast training camps with Coaches stretching their young prodeges limbs for them in what usually looked like some form of torture. Well I enlisted Caz's help last night to push my hamstrings where I was too meek to do so myself. In Yoga classes I generally have good strength, balance and flexibility except for the ole straightening the leg and touching the toes one. I blame A) years of sliding up and down a rowing shell with feet attached to shoes B) Sitting at a desk all day and C) Not really stretching them properly after runs (usually the token 5 mins toe touches). With the running focus of late my hamstrings are always tight and stiff after a run and I can often feel them tightening during the run. It can only have a shortening effect on my stride

So when I try to push the boundry a bit , the leg shakes, knees won't stay straight and I bail. After watching the strides of the middle distance track runners in Deagu I'm convinced flexibility plays a huge part in running and I'm thus inspired to do something about it. So I spent 30 mins rolling and stretching the hamstrings last night and with Caz's help pushing the stretches further than I could do on my own. With some 40,000 or so steps you take in a Marathon, every milimetre counts! Hurt at the time but feel a bit better for it now. :)

Just heard that some scobes got into a nearby elderly women's back garden and burned her shed to the ground at the weekend. Not a hope the PX is going in there now!! Even if it is a concrete shed! Punks. She usually keeps her dog in there too but just happened to be out walking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

[QUOTE=shotgunmcos;74260410
    Just heard that some scobes got into a nearby elderly women's back garden and burned her shed to the ground at the weekend. Not a hope the PX is going in there now!! Even if it is a concrete shed! Punks. She usually keeps her dog in there too but just happened to be out walking him.[/QUOTE]

Jaysus...you now have me panicing about a lonely Focus TT bike sitting in a wodden shed in Wexford, with little or no supervision until next summer:eek:

How are you finding getting back up to (mental) speed for Berlin?
    With all that is going on, is it a struggle to try to peak again after Roth?

Izoard wrote: »
    Jaysus...you now have me panicing about a lonely Focus TT bike sitting in a wodden shed in Wexford, with little or no supervision until next summer:eek:

How are you finding getting back up to (mental) speed for Berlin?
    With all that is going on, is it a struggle to try to peak again after Roth?

Hey Izoard.
    Mentally I'm struggling with the space and motivation to be honest. I'm pretty much pouring myself into the house to make sure we are in by Christmas and after all the decisions and planning around that Berlin is an afterthought at best. I've basically booked a flight over and back, a no nonsense hotel by the airport and made sure I'm getting the long run done. To put it in perspective. When I downloaded the Roth Race briefing I had it by heart within hours. I printed the Berlin race info a week ago and its hidden under a stack of kitchen magazines somewhere unread!

Peaking again is similar. I can count on one hand how many swims and cycles I've done in the last 3 weeks so it feels like I'm doing nothing in comparison to the load of the I training. I'm running 5 times a week and prioritising form and quality over mileage. If you asked the marathon lads if a sub3 marathon was doable off 40 miles a week they might shake their heads but thats about all I've got in the bank for Berlin, so come what may. I'm also fatter than I was in July so that surely won't help :o

Again its something I've learned. Its 2 months now since Roth and I can safely say my legs were just not firing up until 2 weeks ago. Perhaps not having it on the forefront of my mind will be a blessing. Either way in less than 2 weeks I'll enjoy it whatever condition I'm in and hopefully bag the sub3 in the process.

A positive reslt in Berlin will surely motivate me into a winter with a fresh fist full of ambition :)

... for the 5k swim on Sunday? Hell no!! 3 swims in the last 4 weeks has given me serious cause for concern. I have even entertained the idea of not doing it for a moment. That was more about getting my @ss handed to me by some mates I'd normally beat than anything else though. So, I'll just swallow the pride of being sub hour IM swimmer to surviving this swim. I'm hoping the wetsuit,a set of feet and downhill nature of the course will help :D I'm not sandbagging either. I have literally averaged 1 swim a week and my 'long' swim last week was a 3k effort that near broke me.

... for a sub3 at Berlin? Yes... There I said it, or rather whispered it! My last long run was at the weekend and was adecent improvement again on recent efforts. There was a pig of a wind about for it too and my heart rate stayed where I wanted it to. All good. I did an hour at PMP though during the week and it was hard work. So I'm not as ready as I'd initially liked to have been but I'm as ready as I will be (if that made sense). Just a few more runs, a long swim and lots of rolling and work on the hammers and I'll give it a go.

Being honest if I can surpass the feeling I had in Connemara I'll be chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Its 2 months now since Roth and I can safely say my legs were just not firing up until 2 weeks ago.

It is amazing how some people can peak for a race recover quickly and peak for another race in such a short space of time. Like you i am 6 weeks on from the UK and yet to find my mojo or regain any feeling of form since the race:o. It sure wipes you out of it for a good while after, i still have deep muscle aches occasionally.

True. One of the veterans in the club with lots of IMs including a 9:45 on his card advised me to take a lot longer than I think is necessary to recover. He was right. Sure you go deep in races but you don't spend anywhere near as long in hurtsville as you do in an IM. The last hour of Roth is something I won't forget easily. Another lad in the club had a tough day out in Frankfurt and he was way down from his usual standard at Galway last week. I'm sure a combination of both experience and some coaching goes a long way to getting up on the saddle again quicker. A few mates have concurred with the banjaxed feeling after their first IMs too. It will be interesting to see how Matt Molloy goes in Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

True. One of the veterans in the club with lots of IMs including a 9:45 on his card advised me to take a lot longer than I think is necessary to recover. He was right. Sure you go deep in races but you don't spend anywhere near as long in hurtsville as you do in an IM. The last hour of Roth is something I won't forget easily. Another lad in the club had a tough day out in Frankfurt and he was way down from his usual standard at Galway last week. I'm sure a combination of both experience and some coaching goes a long way to getting up on the saddle again quicker. A few mates have concurred with the banjaxed feeling after their first IMs too. It will be interesting to see how Matt Molloy goes in Kona.

Interesting topic for sure. I know some people that did Frankfurt and Bolton this year and they've gone from strength to strength since. Others have struggled to regain their mojo. I guess it's impossible to predict until you go through it as we're all different.

Glad to hear things are coming good for Berlin.

As for Matt Molloy, if DCT or Galway are anything to go by, he's well recovered. I guess the question is "is he recovered enough to fulfill his potential"?

Good luck with the swim this weekend. I hope the winds ease for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Well MCOS, seems like you have a lot on your plate at the moment! I started out with a similar goal to you at the beginning of the year namely a target time for a marathon a few weeks after an endurance event. Months ago I knocked mine on the head as I just thought I wouldn't be recovered-mentally anyway-I'm glad I did. But fair play to you, you are still gunning for it and I hope you get it and end the season on a serious high. You will get it too provided you are rested enough and relaxed and just feel your way into the race.

Enjoy the swim this weekend too, don't push it and find a nice long stroke and before you know it you will be swimming with a smile-water is lovely this time of year. I presume it's a wetsuit swim?

Cheers lads,

@pgibbo - its a lake swim on Lough Derg so a bit of wind won't kick it up like Glaway Bay. Should be ok
    @El Director - Option is your to wear a wetsuit or not. There will be plenty of those hardy souls (proper OW swimmers) giving us wetsuit cladded folk disapproving looks. I'm hearing a lot of interest in the event and with a lot of the top swimmers (Chris Bryan et al..) having a training base in Limerick it should be a quality field too. I'm hoping for some packs to form :)

Re: regaining the Mojo. I guess its easy to feel motivated by fresh goals when you put them down on paper at the start of the journey. What you don't see at that point are the peaks and troughs that lay ahead. I was out with a bunch of mates at the weekend and all good athletes they are too. One of them, a coach, asked us what our best moment of the year so far had been. I replied with Roth of course but couldn't help a few other races in the lead up to it springing to the back of my mind. It was at that moment that I revisted the joy I felt after Conn and the dejection of a DNF at Limerick, easily my low point of the year. Both extremes kick started a hunger for Berlin again. Now, I really want the sub3 and feel ready to give it a good ole shot on the day. I had been really struggling with motivation after Roth. I wasn't even excited about the swim race. I've never done a swim race or a distance swim like this and just for being something different it excited me. It took a reflection of the emotions I felt during those peaks and troughs to bring this to the surface again. A place thats surprisingly hard to visit yourself sometimes but worth it to recharge the mojo :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I'm running 5 times a week and prioritising form and quality over mileage. If you asked the marathon lads if a sub3 marathon was doable off 40 miles a week they might shake their heads but thats about all I've got in the bank for Berlin, so come what may. I'm also fatter than I was in July so that surely won't help :o

I averaged 32mpw in the 12 weeks prior to taper last year with 1 bike & 1 swim thrown in for good measure. You'll be grand.

I'm only averaging 31 this time around with no bike & no swim and hoping to knock 10 more minutes off so not sure how that will work....

I would recommend though if the sub 3 is so important to you, then go with the pacers and forget about the tactic of putting a few minutes in the bag early on - that tactic just does not work unless you are already in sub 3 shape, which means you don't need to put time in the bag - the reduced effort of running with a pacing group will stand to you in the latter stages of the race.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I averaged 32mpw in the 12 weeks prior to taper last year with 1 bike & 1 swim thrown in for good measure. You'll be grand.

I'm only averaging 31 this time around with no bike & no swim and hoping to knock 10 more minutes off so not sure how that will work....

I would recommend though if the sub 3 is so important to you, then go with the pacers and forget about the tactic of putting a few minutes in the bag early on - that tactic just does not work unless you are already in sub 3 shape, which means you don't need to put time in the bag - the reduced effort of running with a pacing group will stand to you in the latter stages of the race.

Hey Gringo78 thanks for the interest and 2 good points. Yep 40mpw should be good enough if the quality is there. I am doing 1 swim and 1 cycle a week too so my approach is similar to yours. Hopefully It will end in as favourable an outcome as your did ;)

This will be Marathon #9 for me so I undertsand the flawed concept of building minutes in the bag. Thats not my intended approach for a sub3. What I meant was that I could head out with the pacers, run safe, pick it up at the end for a 2:59 or I could aim for something a little more ambitious and do it without the pacers. So the real question is what is the secret goal? :D After Conn I said to myself I'd love to run a 2:55. My rationale was that 3:00:20 was as good as that on a flat course like Berlin (all things being equal in terms of form) but up until a couple of weeks ago the mojo was absent and best case scenario was to run as I did in Conn. However the runs in the last 2 weeks have been more reminiscent of pre Conn form which would suggest a crack at 2:55 may be on. My coach also reckons that based on some recent run tests that I could be a bit more ambitious than 2:59:59 as long as I feel it out...

The approach will be to start off with the 3hr pacers for a few kms and find a rhythm. If I settle quickly push gently onto 4:10 pace . If the RPE is too high back off again to the 3hr pacers and come back to the 2:59:59 goal. Whatever way I approach it I have a negative split in mind.

Don't get me wrong, sub3 is what I really want and I'd be chuffed with it. I just decided to make the goal that bit scarier to get the best out of what I have on the day... Running just in front of the pacers is me running kinda scared. I'm not looking to have a few minute in the bank by half way. I'm looking to have a few minutes in the bank by 42km ;)

So, 2:59 Mike happy out, 2:56 Mike happy as a pig in sh!t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Fair enough - my feeling would be no point in aiming for something only 20sec better than you've already done. Do the first 2 miles with the pacers and then hit the pace you think you could sustain be it 2:58, 2:56 or 2:55. I know you'll regret it afterwards if you feel you left minutes out on the course.

There has to be a point where you convince yourself that the work is done and its time to chill out and rest ahead of your big goal. Ok, it may be obvious if you have been rolling along with HH or P&D to the letter but for some like myself, who feel a bit under prepared, its is a case of knowing when enough is enough. Cramming in training doesn't work. I guess even when I know I've prepared well I still wonder if I've done enough? Will that one morning I chose to stay in bed because the wind was howling make a difference? Probably not. Its better to arrive at the start line 90% prepared and healthy than overtrained and tired.

So the sign for me to taper off is when I realise that my long run for the upcoming weekend is just an hour! Aha, the Marathon is just around the corner, the work is done. Time to focus on other things like sleep, food, hydration, race plans etc..

I'm generally pretty good with the self drive and self discipline but I need this feeling to sink in to stop me from doing that extra unnecessary set of strides or doing the last long run too hard just because its an hour.

The last 2 sessions I did were poor form, but they were a swim and a turbo. Running feels good lately and thats all that matters for now

Taper time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Enjoy the long swim the weekend. I was planning on doing this, then got a cheap transfer to the Lost Sheep instead, and now am not doing either due to illness :rolleyes:

Was thinking of doing DCM this year and running with the 3.45 pacers and whose name did I see on the event thread as a pacer:p I'll have to do it now, although I'm not sure if I'm in 3.45 shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing DCM this year and running with the 3.45 pacers and whose name did I see on the event thread as a pacer:p I'll have to do it now, although I'm not sure if I'm in 3.45 shape.

I will probably be in this group as well unless either things improve or get worse training wise

I will probably be in this group as well unless either things improve or get worse training wise

oohhh a chance to test myself against Catweazle. How could I resist now. So if I sprint the last few metres and beat CW, MCOS and Macanri how good would that make me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

oohhh a chance to test myself against Catweazle. How could I resist now. So if I sprint the last few metres and beat CW, MCOS and Macanri how good would that make me:pac:

You won't be outsprinting me (other 3'45 pacer) i'll make sure of it :p

The secret Griffin, is to take your time going over the start line and then catch up to the 3.45 group (say you were tightening your laces). So then when you go scampering off over the last 100 metres, you will see while leafing through the results that I Catweazle has emerged triumphant again :D

Wont be too much competitiveness coming through from me that day, I just want to make it through in one piece

You won't be outsprinting me (other 3'45 pacer) i'll make sure of it :p

Or you could hang back* and watch the 2 Jokers have a go in front of us (particularly as I'll find the most capable girl in our group to sprint with them and chick them both) :D

*as in the job spec..

• Advertisement

Or you could hang back* and watch the 2 Jokers have a go in front of us (particularly as I'll find the most capable girl in our group to sprint with them and chick them both) :D

*as in the job spec..

Like that poor fella caught trying to outsprint Lizzie Lee in Cork last year. The contemptuous smile on her face said it all.

4681911561_5981317284.jpg

Or you could hang back* and watch the 2 Jokers have a go in front of us (particularly as I'll find the most capable girl in our group to sprint with them and chick them both)

:confused: but I always thought CW was a woman :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

:confused: but I always thought CW was a woman :confused:

We've all thought that at one stage or another... :D

I doubt many would have a 5k open water swim race in their Marathon taper but then in the words of some of our esteemed colleagues, how hard can it be, eh? The answer, pretty damn hard

Lough Derg i3 5km Open Water Swim
    I attached zero importance to this and I guess my mind just hadn't fathomed what 5km in the water felt like. My longest training effort for the IM was 4km. At the time of entering this event a extra km didn't seem like a whole lot. 2 factors would turn this into a more difficult day than anticipated. Rough conditions on the lake and SWA training done for it. I was wrong to think less than 1 swim a week would keep me ticking over. Chris Bryan won this ahead of Bryan Keane and a slew of other uber swimmers. The winning time was some 5-6 minutes off what Chris has been doing on the International Circuit, including World Champs, so that may put some perspective on the conditions. There was a real chop for the first 3 km and the buoys, although pretty big, were hard to sight. Hats off to the Coast Guard, rescue services, kayakers etc.. as there were swimmers all over the lake. This type of thing could not be easy to manage. Over a dozen were pulled out including a mate of mine who is a very comfortable OW swimmer. After 10 minutes I was alone with maybe 2-3 other silver hats in front of me either 30m left or right. I gave up thinking they knew more than I about the line and just sighted more often until I caught the yellow ball in my vision. From there is was just a case of swimming to it and then sight a lot to find the next one. I felt fairly good despite the lack of swim training. I took it a buoy at a time feeling rather lost at times. After an hour or so I started seeing boats and the water calmed down. We wrer supposed to enter a flow at this point but Waterways Ireland had to cut this off to make the finish area safe to enter. We were entering Killaloe and the end could not be more than 1.5km away. I was really feeling it now though and struggling to hold onto any length with power in the shoulders and arms fading fast. For the last km we were ushered into a canal to swim to Ballina and in this calm dead water I began to fade properly. The usual survival instinct determination kicked in and I ploughed on with deteriorating technique. The silver hats ahead of me moved away and I was passed by a guy in skins and a channel relay hat on. I didn't mind that and out of respect to the guy for doing this in speedos I didn't jump on his feet. I felt like I was swimming in wet concrete now. I asked a guy I knew in a Kayak what was left? About 350m he replied. It may as well have been a mile. I had no clue how long I had been in the water but it felt like an eternity. At one point I swam straight into a tree and had to wait for the stars to stop spinning before heading off again. As I approached the final turn on the canal I was overtaken by a group of 3. I could understand now why they decided to cut the flow off. You had to make a sharp turn left and your body is wrecked. I'd imagine some people would have missed the turn and have been swept up the canal. I took the best line on the corner though to keep me in their mix. It was then a 100m of a sprint to the mat and digging for watever was left. We all hit the mat more or less together and again out of respect to the non wetsuit girl (although she had another one of those channel relay hats on) I let them cross the mat before I wobbled over. Overall It took an hour and 35 mins and was good enough for 22nd out of 80 finishers. 2 months ago I know I would have cruised this result but on this occasion never found a rhythm and it was hard, especially the last 20 minutes on the canal which was slog city. I was just generally happy to finish it. There were lots of blue and purple bodies chattering at the finish too. The water temp had been a chilly 14 degrees. My shoulders and suprisingly my hips were wrecked. I underestimated this swim but I wasn't alone in that thought either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow that sounded epic! So glad I wasn't able to use my free entry now because I think I was underestimating it too. Fair play though you did it. Those winning times are something else and a skins person won it-very impressive.

The 'skins' person was top 10 at the World OW swimming champs and will more than likely be representing Ireland in the OW 10k event in London next year! He won all 3 of the swim events at the weekend :rolleyes: Completely different lark in an event with real swimmers as apposed to triathletes. If I ever do an event like it again I'll give it some respect and train for it...

The 2nd 'A' Goal of the year is 5 days away.

Its going to be a mental challenge as much as a physical one. It will be my first attempt at sub3. When I set out the goals for the year this one seemed like the biggest stretch. By the end of the Spring though I felt like I could do it comfortably. Then I fell agonisingly short of my Roth target and motivation has been the real struggle since. I haven't missed a long run in between, although they have been capped at 2 hours. I've probably maintaned enough running and quality since Roth to warrant the attempt but it just feels like I've been dossing! The reason I think is that the volume of the IM training was just so encompassing. I had to really work on life balance and recovery. I had to eat like a horse to sustain the energy required and I slept 6 hours a night, tops. These days I get up at 8am instead of 6, take 2 days off per week and the belt buckle feels tight again :rolleyes: I went for a gentle 8km with strides yesterday evening and felt good apart from the tight hammers. I rolled the bejeezus out of them again and just hope they play ball on Sunday. For a change the last couple of weeks Caz has been ushering me out the door for a run rather than holding the reins as she did during the IM block, quite a turnaround really...

I haven't felt this nervous about a Marathon since my first one in Dublin in 2008! I'm fatter and stiffer than 2 months ago but I still believe I can do it. I'm ready to throw the sink at it and feel some pain again. I'm finally excited woohoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Jeepers, Shotgun. I can't imagine how you can be unsure of yourself. You've enough training to sustain the entire boards community, you're coming off a level of fitness that most of us would only aspire too (and some know better than to aspire to!), and you came through the savagery of Roth within a whisker of your goal. I know Conn is a few months ago now, but you came very close to sub-3 there, IIRC, on course that is somewhat tougher than Berlin.

Sure, motivation comes and goes. But unless you let yourself go to hell entirely (which you haven't done), the body is going to take the challenge head-on.

Unless you do something daft on the day, sub-3 should be a handy target for you. Sleep well, eat well, drink well and think well - I'm sure you'll do well!

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great going on the 5k OW swim - only a short step up to a Channel swim, eh? :)

Interesting thoughts on your motivation/mojo for the sub-3 in Berlin.

I reckon if you didn't do Conn, you would be a bit more unsure, and as such, more up for this.

Not wanting to trivialize what you are about to attempt, but it sounds like you subconsciously know this is well within your compass, assuming the wheels stay on.

Either way, all the best with it - takes talent and application to even be in the picture for it.

• Advertisement

@brownian - thanks Chief. The last 2 months have been haphazard with training to say the least. Nowhere near the consistency I had approching Conn
    @Izoard - Interesting perspective on it there. True know I got so close before and not having the same training done is playing cat and mouse with my nerves on this one. True some blinkers would be advantageous too at times :)

I just want to get on with it now. Taper is torturous enough without having the doubts on board. Whatever I feel now though, I'll shake it off once I line up with the thousands of others :D

I think I have to stop reading Brianderunner's posts. I feel he is in better shape for a sub3 than I and his nerves are unnerving me!

Advertisement