Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Don't think i've beaten her. Tracy Roche would be my nemesis back home. Hope to beat both of them in the 10 miler on Stephens Day :D
    Tracy is in great form by the way. Sub 37 10k form. Herself and Liz run together too and I reckon if they both run that 10 miler it will be an interesting 1-2. Tracy passed me at the Adare 10k this year with 2 km to go. I tried to hold on but she finished very strong. I reckon you may have to go sub 60 to beat them both. My other nemesis will probably go 55-56. Hence zero hope for me :rolleyes: I might try and hang onto your coat tails though (if I show up) :D

It took a while to dig out this log, especially making some sops along the way to catch up on a few others.

Last week was a stressful one and I needed the training to keep me sane. I was very tired for a lot of it though and backed off the intensity of sessions when it wasn't there to give.

Phase: Prep
    31 Oct - 6 Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|09:24|171.29km
    Swim sessions|2|02:00|6,300m
    Bike sessions|2|02:17|83.7km all turbo
    Run sessions|3|02:37|35km
    Brick sessions|1|01:30|Bike/Run 42.1k/4.5km
    Strength&Conditioning|1|01:00|Yoga, rowing 7.65km

This week I'm off work but I need to be with Life being a job in itself. The most stressful bit is hopefully over though and its all about remaining calm and worrying only about what is within your sphere of control.

Training this week has so far in some respects been completely different than the last couple of months. I feel physically really good but the mind is up and down.

An aerobic run with strides.
    Just 50 minutes aerobic with a 100m hard stride every 4 mins. Pushed these out in 15-17 seconds each. My hammers were feeling it by the end but I felt a bit free on the strides for some reason. I wanted to let loose and kill one but reined it back and enjoyed the session. It wasn't as loose as I'd like but it was the first run I've enjoyed in a while.

Then an aerobic run with a kick finish
    Just 40 minutes aeorobic again but for the first time in months felt loose and had a spring in my step. Again I just wanted to run as hard as I could for as long as I could but reined it back to a comfortable canter. 1.5km from home I just decided to pick it up a notch. A 3:57 km felt effortless and then another notch to do the last 500m home at 3:45 pace. I finished feeling energised and happy. It was a crisp chilly evening and just one of the those runs where you feel like you are born to run :)

Struggling in the pool
    A set of 6*400s off very east repeat times but I struggled with no power. My arms sank and I felt like I was doing a front crawl below the surface. Not surprising however since I had spent the last 2 days moving boxes, furniture and scrubbing floors etc..

A full of beans turbo
    An hour at an aerobic tempo with a 30 second surge every 5 minutes. I felt great. I opted for a fresh, high cadence of 105-110 and really enjoyed spinning my legs out. The was plenty of juice there too as I held 85%+ comfortably for the hour and pushed the surges to 100% FTP. Average HR 149, output 283w and a solid session put down. I was showered and out the door within 10 minutes to get on with the busy life.

There is a change in the air. I'm feeling more positive. Perhaps it is the circumstances around me putting things into perspective and I'm just feeling lucky to be fit, healthy and happy.

The house slipped to priority #2 this week but its coming to the closing stages. Bills! We expect to move in this weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Not easy balancing life, work and training never mind adding a build and move in to the mix. Fair play on balancing it all. Best of luck for the rest of the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yeah best of luck Mike. Fair play to you!!

Cheers lads its been a mad week managing all of teh different trades doing their last bits. The electrician came in yesterday morning just to swap some sockets and address my snag list but the whole place was tripping. Took them the best part of the entire day to find a little screw had escaped into the works. Phew! They were sweating it out as was I at the prospect of ripping walls and floor apart again! The Kitchen Lads are finishing up beside me now and I have to say they have done a cracking job. I'll post before and after pics and I would highly recommend these lads to anyone looking for a high spec kitchen done beautifully and at crazy competitive value. We went through 5 providers to find this lad and it was worth the research. Everyone is pretty much done. Just bits and bobs. The BER rating guys was in assess yesterday and I'm looking forward to his report. The house started with a G rating, the lowest on the chart. The only messy job left is for the council to dig up the public footpath outside the house to give us a water connection. Once they route it of course the leave it over to the occupants to connect it themselves. They still charge you a whack just to get it to your front gate though :rolleyes:

Yesterday was 8am - 2pm mucking in and managing the project and the 7 different trades working around each other. 2-4pm in the hospital visiting a superwoman. 4:30-6pm training. 6:30-7:30 cleaning up the mess of the trades to make the place presentable for Caz who was in Dublin for a couple of days. I don't think I stopped sweating all day long.

The training bit: Bike - Run brick
    85 minutes on the turbo including 3*20 minutes at 90% FTP. I found this tough. I thought half way through the first rep that I wouldn't last but took a HTFU pill and covered the HRM. It was especially tough since I was doing it in superwoman's kitchen and had nothing to distract me. The 2nd rep was actually better. The legs held up and it was more an act of concentration. The 3rd rep hurt though and I had to dig in a little to get through it. Shoes on. Dry top on. Gramin on and out I went for a 20 minute run. The first half was easy and it took most of it to find my run legs. I stepped the second half up to HIM pace and it was a bit of work. I finished with the quads close to cramping. It actually felt like the guts of an Olympic Triathlon. I had no time to stretch though as it was on with Life again immediately after 2 bowls of cornflakes and a leg and breast of chicken just torn off and swallowed.

I haven't been tracking my DQS this week but I reckon its just about on the positive. I promised myself I'd stretch each evening before bed but have just been too wrecked to do anything but crash and sleep. I'm just about finding time for one training session each day this week and its usually a short window for it so I have to choose wisely. I can't wait for the dust to settle (literally) and I can get into the swing of a routine training regime again. So far for the first 3 weeks I'm about 40% down on the volume I was at for this period last year. Not too bad all things considered. The turbo has been an invaluable training tool really and I've learned how to make the sessions count too.

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Yeah best of luck Mike. Fair play to you!!

All going well I'll have a bed sorted in the spare room if you are coming down to these parts for triathlons next spring/summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

MCOS, just a question.

I notice you still refer to quad soreness a lot in your log.

I know you suffered big time in conn, roth, berlin with quad related soreness. You've refered to ''feeling it" in the quads recently when on the turbo and i've some memory of them nearing cramp when you were swiming or on the rower recenlty too.

What do you reckon is behind this? Is it just the ability to suffer coming through or do you reckon there's an imbalance underlying it? Also, has your coach discussed this with you?

My interest comes from trying to get head around my own 'ability to suffer' or not as I suspect the case may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great question notwich, im always surprised MCOS that you don't seem to get regular massage - seems a bit weird for someone putting so much into the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am almost enjoying the daily house updates as i am the training ones:) Not long to go until things settle down for you. Fair play to you as it cannot be easy trying to project manage the house, work and do a bit of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Jesus MCOS, I don't know how you are keeping all sides going. Serious respect and fair play to you. You must be getting your 7/8 hours sleep per night, right??

You know I reckon the big reduction in volume now will actually benefit you more come summer. Well done and mind those quads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

House sounds great...best of luck with it.

Was reading a piece recently on Petr Vabrousek (who???) - winner of Challenge Henley this year - late bloomer from a handy rowing background...seems like a great prep for IM suffering at the sharp end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey man, just been catching up. Life is keeping you well busy by the sounds of things. You won't know what to do with yourself when you have the house sorted and are moved in and settled at last.

I was sorry to hear that you weren't pacing DCM. I was looking forward to the "Who's going to run a sub 3:45 today?" and the returning roar as we passed under the N4 bridge / tunnel. But I gave it my own stamp, followed by JBs oggy, oggy, oggy. A great buzz.

Well wear in the new house and all the best for the rest of the IM training.

Notwitch wrote: »
    MCOS, just a question.

I notice you still refer to quad soreness a lot in your log.

I know you suffered big time in conn, roth, berlin with quad related soreness. You've refered to ''feeling it" in the quads recently when on the turbo and i've some memory of them nearing cramp when you were swiming or on the rower recenlty too.

What do you reckon is behind this? Is it just the ability to suffer coming through or do you reckon there's an imbalance underlying it? Also, has your coach discussed this with you?

My interest comes from trying to get head around my own 'ability to suffer' or not as I suspect the case may be!
    Hey Notwitch. Excellent question and cheers for the interest too. I actually just pitched a similar one at my Coach this morning so I'm waiting for his take on it. I think its more to do with the ability to suffer through hard sessions than an imbalance. Also kb3 brought up the physio point and its a good one. My problem is that I can push myself well beyond the point where the legs start to burn on the bike but I simply don't stretch, roll or get physio near as much as I should do. Some of the sessions I've done the last few eeks were handlebar biting stuff and I've just hopped off, tidied the turbo away and got on with a busy life. I should really address the recovery more seriously.

I should have had a heap of pysio after Roth, especially with 2 spring Marathons on board too. I didn't have one session! No surprise then that the quads imploded at Berlin! Luckily I've had no significant injury.

The whole point of the current intensity is to raise the threshold so that a similar bike split next sumer doesn't take as much out of me.

Izoard wrote: »
    House sounds great...best of luck with it.

Was reading a piece recently on Petr Vabrousek (who???) - winner of Challenge Henley this year - late bloomer from a handy rowing background...seems like a great prep for IM suffering at the sharp end.
    Any cance of a link? good man
    Macanri wrote: »
    I was looking forward to the "Who's going to run a sub 3:45 today?" and the returning roar as we passed under the N4 bridge / tunnel. But I gave it my own stamp, followed by JBs oggy, oggy, oggy. A great buzz.
    Ah yes I missed that so I did. But hey you 2 boys did a cracking job on the day, well done to that! Flying the DCM pacer flag high

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Look into magnesium deficiency mike.

I feels like a fresh start today. I woke up in the new house and pottered around before making my way to the pool for an early drowning session :) Last week's number are irrelevent really as I spent less time training than the superwoman spent on a table under a surgeon's knife. It was the kind of week that put everything in perspective. We moved in on the Friday as some superstitious friend told us our hair would fall out if we didn't (or something to the tune of that nonsense). On Saturday night while I was across town watching Ronan O'Gara saving our bacon, some junkie decided to break in. He didn't get into the house and just made a mess of the shed. Thankfully the bikes were elsewhere. Anyway the muppet left some nice fresh footprints in the soft mud and a half can of larger on the wall too. Nice presents that we handed to a mate in the gardai who in turn apprehended him yesterday. It turns out our place was just the fullstop to his sentence of wreckage that night too. Punk.

Training update: no numbers, DQS scores, charts or the usual waffle to report on the training front last week. I'll hopefully commence that stuff properly soon enough.

House update: I left out 5 neat final snag lists for various people last night :D Hopefully all the bits will be done this week to leave us sleep on the floor in peace :)

Ok first metric of the week then. Weight.

Last check was 76.9kg which was a 1.1kg total loss from the start of the programme. Well scrap that, back up to 78.6kg. So +0.6kg overall so far :(

Browsing some of the other logs it might be an idea (being target focused) to give myself a diet goal. So a la El Director, although not to that extreme, I'll aim for a total DQS of +90 for the week. Thats +15 a day excluding Friday which is my eat what I like day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ok first metric of the week then. Weight.

Last check was 76.9kg which was a 1.1kg total loss from the start of the programme. Well scrap that, back up to 78.6kg. So +0.6kg overall so far :(

Browsing some of the other logs it might be an idea (being target focused) to give myself a diet goal. So a la El Director, although not to that extreme, I'll aim for a total DQS of +90 for the week. Thats +15 a day excluding Friday which is my eat what I like day :)

I think DQS is an interesting idea but a good score can still hide an multitude of sins.

I remember before talking about a low-GI diet and then being told that there was a formula that you could apply to figure out if the food had a good score or not. Within a minute or two of given told this I coped that I could still eat three bags of Haribo as long as I ate a stick of butter with them.

tunney wrote: »
    I think DQS is an interesting idea but a good score can still hide an multitude of sins.

I agree. Its limited in lots of ways. Like anything it just depends on how you use it and how honest you are wth it. I tend to pick it up now and then and use it in a general sense to get back on the right track. I know when I sit down to dunk a few digestives into a hot chocolate later its about damage limitation. Thats enough to hold me back dunking the lot.

Also since calories consumed while training doesn't count, you can cheat by eating 5 mars bars on the bike :D

BTW on the magnesium. What made you suggest a deficiency? It would be odd if I was. I checked the food sources and in particular, pumpkin seeds and spinach feature regularly on my plate. Plus I take pharmaton caps 2-3 times a week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't like the avoidance of fat in the table, then he goes on to say not to worry about fat a couple of pages later. :confused:

Edit: Also, if I eat a snacksize crunchie do I lost the same amount of points as I would if I ate a normal sized or a king sized crunchie? If so, I'm going out to buy some kingsized bars.

I don't like the avoidance of fat in the table, then he goes on to say not to worry about fat a couple of pages later. :confused:

Edit: Also, if I eat a snacksize crunchie do I lost the same amount of points as I would if I ate a normal sized or a king sized crunchie? If so, I'm going out to buy some kingsized bars.

+1 on the fat.

Lol your call :) I kinda stick with a general point off per 100 cals of junk

• Advertisement

Yesterday was the first time I cast a half a mind to Austria. I've had s much going on thatit simply wasn't even on the radar. Life is still busy but more manageable this week so I can try and do some training with Austria in mind. The attached file shows that I'm currently way behind the workload that went into Roth so this winter is really going to have to be about smart training. A couple of easy session to kick off

Squad Swim
    I warmed up in the middle lane and was all set to lead the set out when I saw that the lne contained about 20 people and there were just 4 fish in the top lane. I decided to form a small second group in the quick lane and we proceeded to put down 6*200, 6*100 and 6*50 all off 1:50 kind of RTs. I made the RTs comfortably but my pac is still hovering in the low to mid 1:40s. It was a good session and we were only lapped once :) One of the fish gave me a good tip that I was pointing my fingers up at the end of my reach ith my right arm thus acting as a brake in the stroke. That was observant of him, cheers! I found the fast 50s a drag. I was out of juice. 3,000m total.

Easy Run
    My first run from my new driveway. I found a skipping rope in the unpacking at the weekend and put it to some good use for about 5 minutes before running. I was well warm to start and my face stung somewhat from smacking the rope off it. The run was just over a half hour trotting around the quays. It was a lovely mild and calm evening. The tide was high and the river serene. I love running along river banks. It soothes me. Despite the back of my legs feeling tight I enjoyed this run on my new route :)

I was heading for a nigh on perfect DQS score yesterday until I visited the superwoman and dusted off some biscuits. I also had a couple of buttery croissants en route. It dropped it to a +17 for the day.

Easy Run
    This session was supposed to be a turbo but we still don't have water connected and I wasn't in the mood to form a sweat pool and then drive to a mate's for a shower. So I swapped in an easy run to keep ticking over. En route I found a run track around a pitch at a nearby college and did a few loops of it. A good find and I'm sure it will come in useful for some shorter interval stuff. It was justa half hour running easy. Again enjoyable. I like running around the subarbs in the evenings.

Hard Swim
    My second swim squad session of the week! I'm sleeping more soundly the last couple of nights so that helps to get up in the mornings. The fast lane was busy and I tagged onto the back. The main set kicked off with a 400 off 6:15 :eek: It felt manic. 4*100s followed off 1:40 before it broke up into 2 groups. The fish did their thing and the rest of us did the rest of the main set off 1:45 pace RTs as we were hanging on for dear life up to then. 300, 3*100, 200, 2*100, 100, 2*50. It was a good set. The Coach then had us do 6*50 kick with fins which drained the legs. I thought we were done when the Coach called for a 200 IM. 50 Butterfly, 50 back stroke, 50 breast stroke, 50 frontcrawl all to be done hard :eek: I normally get out at this point as I'm hopeless at other strokes and have never even tried Fly. I decided to hell with it give it a go. The Fly wasn't too bad despite not having a clue how to kick for it. However I was absolutely shattered after just 50m of it. It was just about surviving the rest of it after that. 3,200m total and I felt it.

The DQS clocked in at +14 yesterday which just about has me on track for the week.

Although the DQS method of observing and managing your diet is limited, it is definitely keeping me alert to better choices. I'm still looking in the sweet press, often by habit, but the awareness is limiting the damage. I had the real munchies when I got in from work yesterday evening but managed to close the press before I ate the lot :) The DQS for came in at +14 for the day.

Hard Turbo
    The first turbo session in the new place. I had to open a window as I was roasting after 15 minutes. The Flow managed to almost disassemble itself in transit from the old place so it took a frustrating half hour of tightening and calibration to get it right again. The session called for 3*10 minutes sweet spot and 6*2 minutes V02 max intervals. I found the SS reps tough enough and knew it was going to hurt on the V02 reps. That it surely did. I got through 4 of them before my legs were juiced. I didn't bother with the last 2 as I was ragged. I had intended doing a short run off it but I was wrecked and it was late. I promised myself I'd run off the next turbo instead.

Steady Swim
    I plan to do a session on my own outside the squad sessions for endurance as it was something that really worked for me last winter. This was the start of them. Just 2k steady in 34:16. I felt good and practiced the tip that the fish gave me yesterday about my right hand for the whole thing. I began the first few lengths very comfortably and found a strong cruise pace. I pushed the last 50 of every 500 and finished the last 200 at 1:40 pace. I was a bit tired after it though which showed the level of my swim fitness but it was a good start. I did a stroke count during it and was at 37 strokes per 50m which is more efficient than I was a few weeks ago.

I've about 50 of a 60 hour work week put down so far. Last night after another late finish I arrived home wired. I was supposed to do turbo but figured a run out in the gnarly elements would snap me out of it. I'm spinning a few more plates on top of work too so I needed to thrash things out. The problem with that tactic, and what I forgot, was that I never process life out on my runs. Running for me is freedom. I take in the environmant, watch people and animals. Its when I wonder about the world around me and forget my own little bubble. The bubble was thick and resistant anyway and rolling it down a hill over edgy cobbles wouldn't have put it out of shape.

I lasted 45 minutes before drying off and getting on with a chicken stir fry and brown basmati. The DQS ended with a +24 score yesterday. The only glitch, some cheese in my seedy rolls at lunch, a late night bowl of cornflakes and a bit of bournville. I doubt I'll top that any time soon. After that Caz and I thrashed out some house stuff. The Kitchen and plumber should finish off their stuff today and we are 99% there to being left entirely to our own devices :)

After all was done and dusted, I still felt wired so I turned on the PS3. I haven't played playstation in years and just got this more as a blu-ray player first and console second. A few hours later I was still trying to race shadows on a race track Gran Turismo 5! I think it was after 3 am when I packed it in. I retired to the mattress on the floor so jaded I forgot to change the alarm. It went off for 6 and I arose in autopilot mode to get though a half hour of drills at the pool by myself. It was only when I hit work and a strong coffee did it dawn on me that I wasn't supposed to get up at all! Doh! I've fuelled the fatigue with sugar all day since and the peaks and troughs in mood have been seriously exhausting.

The turbo I didn't do beckons this evening and a run again in the morning before work. Party ater work tomorrow night and a spending a few hours with superwoman on Sunday. The DQS is just about hanging onto a zero score today. I'll get an apple into me before I pass out later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Jesus Christ, how the F do you do it man! It just all sounds so manic, you must be like a zombie going from one thing to another. Once it all settles down in the new year you will be it a great position to start building because of your hard work now, especially on the bike.

I too have seen the limitations of the DQS but at least it keeps you conscious of what goes into your mouth. It also confirmed that my weekend bad habits have to improve.

Well don again for keeping it all together and from putting me off ever building too ;) You (and JB) also put me off ever going long too BTW! ;)

We finally got our water connected yesterday so I could have a shower this morning without driving to someone else's house :) Little things.

Turbo
    I haven't done an early morning turbo in a long while. Mainly as the sessions were too intense and I don't do well with early morning hell. It was just an hour steady aerobic tempo with a 30 scond surge every 5 minutes. A tidy session to get done before work. It startd very sleepy and I was lazy about the effort nudging on 70% FTP. The session called for 80-90% and I didn't feel in the mood for the sweatfest. After the first surge on 5 minutes though I woke up properly and shifted into gear. From there to the end I held a steady 88-90% FTP effort and pushed the surges out to 400w with crazy spinning legs. The last 10 minutes took a bit of concentration but it was a very solid session in the end after the sloth like beginning. I had originally planned to do a run around the block off it but I didn't have time. As much as I'm loving or hating the turbo I do feel the want to get out on the road. I haven't been for a session outdoors since Roth. I cycled to work on Monday this week as it was a lovely morning and work is barely 10 minutes away. I was ashamed to have to dust cobwebs off the mtb :o

DQS for yesterday was +8. Better than expected for a Friday :) Dinner was a very healthy half a roast chicken and large veggie seedy salad. However that was followed with about a dozen bourbon creams and a few choc hob nobs dunked into tea. There is no hope for the weekend though as there is a Club Party and family gathering to be negotiated respectively.

Got in my first long run of the winter yesterday. It was with a hangover though and was horrid. I started fairly ragged, found some energy for half hour but then struggled home. 19.5km put down in about 1:33 and it was pants. It was a start I suppose.

Phase: Prep
    14-20 Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|10:05|157.7km
    Swim sessions|4|03:17|10,200m
    Bike sessions|2|02:27|103km all turbo inc 1 commute on mtb
    Run sessions|4|03:26|44.5km
    Brick sessions|-|00:00|---
    Strength&Conditioning|-|00:30|Yoga, skipping

Weight has gone up to 79.2kg. +0.6 on the last check and +1.2 overall :o

Last week was a hard one to balance. 60 hours in work over 6 days. Today felt like the middle of a week rather than a Monday. I got all but a turbo session in and am happy enough with the work. Swim fitness is returning slowly. Running is not feeling so laboured. The turbo is well, the turbo. The one area I was completely lazy with was core and flexibility. That will change this week.

DQS for the week was a +86. Not awful but not good either. It went like this +17, +14, +14, +24, +9, 0, +8. Eh, a bit loose there at the weekend!

So the menu for this week? Not as much work, yay! a +90 DQS maybe. My first solo IM focused swim set maybe. A tough brick and a non alcohol fuelled long run.

It kicked off ok today.

Swim Squad.
    It was a busy lane even for the fast lane. The Coach prescribed what looked like a handy main set of 5*(150/100/50). Handy, yeah right. The fish belted off and I was left with the choice of chasing them or lead out a small group of slower times. I chose to chase the feet and made a decent effort of it. I had to work pretty hard though. I just about managed to glance at the clock on the 100s and we were hitting them in 1:29-1:30.

Next the Coach called for 10*50 kick with fins. I used to dread this a while back but I've been practicing my kick every time a bring shotgunjunior to the pool and its improving. It still took it out of me though and my attempt at Fly afterwards was just comical. 3,200m in the hour and a satisfying set.

Run Easy
    It was supposed to be an easy run but I felt good and had a spring in my step out in the cold air. It was the coldest night so far. Not long before the winter gear comes out properly. 7km done in a half hour. Too fast. I must remember to keep easy easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you want to "cheat" at fly, you can always one-arm it....extend the arm you are not using out in front of you, and breathe to the side you are stroking on. This allows you to get used to the rhythm of the kick, concentrate on the path of the stroke, and avoid the very difficult task of lifting your head forward to suck in air. Stoke with one arm going up, the other arm coming back. This techique might help you learn/get used to this physically taxing stroke. Eventually it will become easy to double arm it. I'm loving your swim session reports. :)

I'm actually getting sessions done when I'm supposed to this week which is a first in months. Hopefully a routine of sorts will follow and I can regain the segment of my brain deicated to constant juggling.

Turbo Sweet Spot.
    SS training reps are quality. Its a solid effort generally at 90-95% of FTP and you often question if you can hold it. Invariably its designed to keep you below the red line so just staying mentally focused gets you home. 2 half hour reps at the target output last night and it felt pretty good. Overall heart rate average 148 but climbed to a max of 167 by the end of rep 2. After the first rep the doubt started. I was already working hard but another half hour? I cast the rope out to increasingly shorter segments of time but despite having to dig in a bit at the end Inever really had to hang on. I felt comfortable throughout and even took the last couple of minutes up to 100% FTP. I had planned a short run off it but had to spend time with Superwoman. Thus it was a quick shower, bite to eat, stretch and out the door. Good session but my legs felt it.

Swim Squad
    A bit of breakthrough. Again there was a sizeable group in the fast lane. About 10. I went off 6th after the warm up of sculling. Straight into a hard 800. We had a target time of 12 minutes to hit which really split the group apart. My old swim nemesis has been around lately and I hung onto her feet for 650m before she shook me off. The pace was fast and even losing her I still made the 12 minutes overtaking a fish too. I just kept focusing on what I was doing rather that ploughing away. I noticed when I reverted to the bad habit of pointing my fingers up, when I wasn't finishing the last quarter etc.. I was pleased with the TT but I was also breathing very heavily at the end. I know I PB'd at 400m en route but have no clue what it was.

Next up was 10*50 focusing on Distance per stroke. I started the first one at 37 strokes for the 50m but had it down to a consistent 33 by the end.

The next bit is what suprised me. The Coach wrote up 5*200 negative split. My nemesis pushed me forward and jumped on my feet for a change. Another fish hopped out so I was now going off 3rd in the lane. The 200s were just as pacey but I was still in good shape. I was hanging onto the 2 lead fish. After the 3rd rep I moved up again to follow the lead out guy. He usually had a couple in front of him too but the uber fish were not around this morning so he was quickest. I challenged myself to hang onto his feet and did so. He seemed surprised and said we were coming in on 3 minutes :eek: After what had gone before I just couldn't believe I was holding that pace. He encouraged me to hang onto his feet again for the last rep. I was almost out on my feet but hung on. Five 200s put down in approx 3:00. I was chuffed with it. I was also wrecked. Easily the most I've suffered but the best I've swam.

We finished off with 10*25m sprints starting 12.5m out from the wall. The Coach wanted us to tumble turn too. My calves were on the verge of cramping so I waited until the last rep to try one as I didn't want to injure anyone. It came off ok. I didn't drown :) 3,100m total. Great session!

The plan for this evening is Yoga and boy do I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

That is some swim session Mike, bloody tough. Impressive splits holding 1:30 pace for the 800s along with the tough 200s.
    Nice turbo session as well especially now your finding it slightly easier to hold close to your FTP. I know i have been struggling a little physically holding close to 90/95% FTP or short bursts around 110-115% FTP during a set but hopefully the legs will learn to cope with it soon enough.

Advertisement