Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Wow Mike blown away some real detail and planning gone into that project. I wish you and Caz the very best in your house home.

Really cannot wait for the boards house party:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow shotgun, great pics! Your new home looks lovely, wishing you and Caz many happy years in it. You must be delighted to be done before Christmas.

On the training front: nice run session there for a man who hasn't done too much lately. Knocking out great 1k reps.

Those 100's at the end of the swim session are seriously impressive dude. You've done so well keeping on top of training while the build was going on, fair play Mike, onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Long Run
    It was a long busy day and by the time I got out I was looking forward to a run. My first proper long run in ages. I scooted around the city for an hour and a half putting down the bones of 20k. However it was anything but the pleasant escape I'd anticipated. It was lashing heavily and horizontally from the heavens for starters. My legs felt wooden and lazy. Plod mode. I focused on pushing the cadence on but could not do better than 86 and even that felt like an effort to hold. Everytime I checked again it had dropped back to a lumbersome 82 or so. I usually love running along the banks and even don't mind rain.

The pain cave
    This wasn't going to be a fun one. A ladder of 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes at 100% FTP with 5 minutes easy in between. The 5 and 10 reps were ok. The 15 was unpleasant. The 20, well I had to hang onto the rope tight with both hand with 6 minutes to go. It was hell. The 15 rep ended with my heart rate at 175 and the signs were ominous for the last rep. 175 is red zone. Max is about 183. I was back to 175 within minutes and struggling mentally at 8 minutes. I so nearly packed it in. I made a deal with myself to just keep going until the legs gave up. What followed was sheer stubborness. My heart rate hit 178 with 6 minutes to go and my quads were on fire. With 4 minutes to go Caz poured water down the back of my neck. I knew then though that I would see it through. I just wouldn't drop it so close to home. The heart rate finished at 180 and I was spent. Proper effort this one!

Phase: staying in touch

28 Nov - 04 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|7|08:04|126.5km
    Swim sessions|2|02:00|6,000m
    Bike sessions|2|02:20|89.4km
    Run sessions|2|02:22|32.21km
    Brick sessions|1|01:12|Swim/Run 2.4k/6.5k
    Strength & Conditioning|0|00:10|--

Weight check in the morning. I didn't bother with DQS last week. I have the right habits set now and its just about controlling the sugar intake. So to put it into practice a tidy target of 125 to hit this week!

Overall another low key week. I missed a brick session and did feic all yoga or flexibility, rowing or basic conditioning of any sort :o Poor form. On the positive the swimming is going well sooner than expected and I'm pleased with the ability to suffer both in the pool and on the turbo. I have to focus on running form now as it needs some attention. 8 hours is exactly half of what I was doing this time last year. The session just have to count!

30 weeks, still lots of time... not worried yet.

Almost everyone in the office is coughing, wheezing and sneezing. I'll do well to remain unscathed over the festive period :rolleyes: All I can do is keep washing my hands, get my 5 a day etc... Apparently its due to be a much milder winter. Booo :( I'd much rather be running on packed snow than battle wind and rain! The weigh in this morning was 77.5kg. So no change there then. It feels pointless monitoring it over Christmas but I may as well track the damage :)

Swim squad
    The positive was that I got my ass out of bed for the Monday morning set. Maybe I'll carry the momentum to a proper week's training...

It was a straight forward session but I struggled a bit in no mans land. After a long warm up we fired into a main set of 3*(200/2*100/2*100 choice). The fish were full of beans and I basically swam in clear water between the 4 of them and the couple behind me. Despite swimming at 1:30 pace for the set I couldn't bridge the gap. On the 3rd set I went 2:58 for the 200 and 1:28 for the 100s and still didn't make it. I was wrecked from chasing too.

We did 10*50 kick with fins and a board next which was a welcome break for the shoulders. My legs were still a little tender from yesterday's turbo but I found this the most enjoyable part of the work. The usual 8*50 sprints proved to be too much though. I worked like a dog to hit 38s for 4 of them before bailing. My technique had abandoned me since the last 200. I saw no point in flogging the water any more. 3,300m total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

lovely home shotgun, all the best to ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Beautiful home you guys have there Mike. Wishing you both many years of happiness in it. Very nice indeed.

That turbo session sounds like hell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

3,300m swim....green with envy. Nice work....and keeping with the fish will pay great dividends.

Lunchtime Run
    Between the house project over the summer and work being mental through the autumn I have not been for a lunchtime trot in yonks. I noticed my colleague was still at it through that time and headed out to join him this afternoon. It was rather chilly to begin with but I warmed up after a couple of kms. It was the usual 8km ish loop and it flew by amidst the chat. I rarely run with company so this was a nice change. One I might take up more. I keep getting an email from the hill running gang without fail on wednesdays and I'm just going to bite that bullet some day. My colleague's easy pace has noticeably changed too for the better. He has set himself a target of the Hell of the West next June and we will be sitting down to pencil out that programme soon. Very enjoyable run :) 8.34km, average hr 135, pace 5:05/km

Dory Dory wrote: »
    3,300m swim....green with envy. Nice work....and keeping with the fish will pay great dividends.

Cheers it was rough though, I have some tastier sets of work lined up if I ever kick into IM mode again. I get the feeling you swam to a high level? Our resident swim expert on this forum interested once told me that suffering with the fish would yield more benefit than leading a slower lane out. I took him up on it and didn't look back.. as much as I want to sometimes. I was fighting to hang on this morning but alas never caught those bubbles :cool:

I did swim at a high level, but not as high as your Interested (based on what I've read about him during his week of being in the spotlight). My best stroke was backstroke, then butterfly...then freestyle was third, and breastroke was definitely my worst stroke. IMs (individual medleys) were also on my list of events that I did. FYI - I get a kick out of your term "tumble turns" - and I LOVE reading your workouts.

And I whole-heartedly agree with Interested - stay in the fast lane chasing the fish. You will reap great rewards.

DQS today +27! I had a choice a while ago to hit the perfect 29 or have a few squares of dark chocolate. Chocolate all the way baby :D
    - I get a kick out of your term "tumble turns".
    :confused: what do you swimmers call em' then?

• Advertisement

Early bike/run brick
    I've found in the last 2 months that my motivation wanes mostly in the evening. Particularly if there are people in the house to distract me. I eiter get on with the session straight after work or the window disappears. I just don't like doing hard turbos late at night as I eat late and subsequently sleep late. I'm also not great with intensity first thing in the morning either. I generally take a long time to warm up in a set but I also sleep like a log most nights so it takes extra long to get into a session in the morning. Even in a cool wet ealy morning pool, I don't get going usually until 1.5k into a set. Yesterday I did a run at lunchtime and as a result I had the evening free. Earlier dinner, chilled out and slept like a baby :) I thus decided to get up at 6 and get the harder session out of the way.

1:15 total.
    51 minutes on the bike with 3 reps of 10 minutes sweetspot included and some 30 second surges within those, joy :rolleyes: Predictably my legs were asking me what the hell was going on with this sweatfest! I didn't have any MTV on either. Just me, the whirring sound of the flywheel and the ominous pattering of rain drops on the skylight. My heart rate rose to 165 on the 3rd rep but it felt a higher. This was possibly due to the central heating kicking into gear after 20 minutes and the bike is parked in front of a radiator! Overall it was rock steady. The hardest bit was actually not letting it drop below the SS after the surges. It took some control to keep it steady. I put the garmin outside while I fought to put a long sleeve top on a sweaty body. I didn't bother with legs as I had images of myself hopping around before falling over and bouncing off the tiles.

The garmin still hadn't found a signal by the time I emerged from the sauna. What a surprise :rolleyes: I performed a less than half hearted calf stretch to give it a few more seconds to search. It was bloody cold and the sleety rain drops were bouncing off the car bonnet like marbles so I just got on with the transition run. The signal arrived as soon as I hit the pavement. It was a truly miserable morning. Dark, wet and cold. Apart from the odd person running for shelter under an umbrella, bag or hood I was the only eejit with bare knees out running in it. I'm always positive that no matter what kind of conditions I'm out in I'll spot someone else on the short suburban loop and we will both nod in confirmation that this is normal behaviour. The plan was to run easy for 15 minutes and build to HIM pace for 5. My turnover was again lazy but I got through it. It felt good to have it done and even better to have it done first thing :)

Well, did you spot someone in that short suburban loop who needed that nod of confirmation? Or were you the only eejit with bare knees in those awful conditions?

Well, did you spot someone in that short suburban loop who needed that nod of confirmation? Or were you the only eejit with bare knees in those awful conditions?
    I was the only eejit and instead of a nod of confirmation I received a lecture from Caz at the door :( She did sweeten it with a hot bowl of porridge and tea though :)

Swim Squad
    A 400 straight off the bat for a warm up! I knew the Coach was in the mood to put us through some work. The lengthy warm up continued with 12*50 kick. There was something rather serene about the sound of the splashing and the steely focus of the faces just above the water with goggles around the forehead. There would be the odd smile or acknowledgment as we passed each other but little banter. Everyone was clearly working. The main set consisted of a 300 and 2*150 all done 3 times. I haven't clue what the RTs were but we made them comfortably. I felt good too. I moved up the line to follow a fish for the last set and the odd clock check showed that we were at 1:34 pace. It felt like a strong aerobic cruise and better still my stroke rate was at 36 per length. That was definietly a sign of progress. Next up we had 6*50 choice and I tried some one arm Fly as suggested by Dory Dory. It felt ok but when I tried with both arms I was all over the shop and shattered from losing my breath in the process. The coach gave me some basic pointers on the stroke when he saw my red face. I spluttered my way through some backstroke catch up too which sucked and made me feel completely inept. For a finsh we returned to frontcrawl and did 6*50 with 25 hard 25 easy and I was back to feeling good, albeit tired. 3,500m total in 1:06

I sometimes wish the pool opened earlier for the public as I'd like to do a longer easier swim down than the usual 100m or nothing. Plus I could beat the heavy traffic. This morning I had to get backacross the city to let delivery guys into the house before returning to work and made it by the skin of my teeth

Tired. Not the kind of physical fatigue evident from a block of good training. More life tired. 10 hours sleep last night, 9 the night before and I'd happily rest my head on the desk and drift off now. Head blocked, system not happy :(

Recent training
    Half hearted turbo and a less than half hearted swim.

At least I have Christmas week off for the first time in 5 years, there is always light... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Tired. Not the kind of physical fatigue evident from a block of good training. More life tired. 10 hours sleep last night, 9 the night before and I'd happily rest my head on the desk and drift off now. Head blocked, system not happy :(

Recent training
    Half hearted turbo and a less than half hearted swim.

At least I have Christmas week off for the first time in 5 years, there is always light... :)

Nice work on the house MCOS. I really need to start looking at places to buy and get a plan together on how to pull it off.... without the plan you dont get anywhere. You clearly had a plan, cos it looks amazing.

I hear you on being lfie tired. Last couple of weeks were all zzzzzz. I'm off for the next week and looking forward to getting back on track myself!

A long run too fast
    It was close to a disaster of a week through several senses and running has been sporadic and average at best. Hence I focused on a long run for some solace and confidence on Saturday evening. I had left the garmin in work and resorted to RPE for the session. I also completely misread the plan. The session should have been 1.5 hours aerobic. Instead I did a progression run, oops :o I felt great to start too, the best I've felt running in ages. I skipped along well within myself, perhaps RPE 3 for 30 mins and then pushed on a little to RPE 5 to the hour. From there I changed up a gear to RPE 7 or Marathon Pace. The run was hilly and covered 2 laps. I was not aware of any stats until I mapped it later. I thought I may have run 20km but it was actually 22km. 1:36 at 4:21 pace was too fast.
    Lap 1 11km in 48:45, avg 4:26 pace. It felt good. I had lots of energy and the hills felt like speed bumps.
    Lap 2 11km in 47:15, avg 4:17 pace. My hammers started to tighten on the hour and my right quad cramped at 1:20 :rolleyes:. I ran through it to get home so it was uncomfortable from there. My energy also dipped sharply too. My legs feel rough still. The planned turbo threshold reps were binned yesterday as a result :(

I'm just not in the shape I'd like to think I am and this reality check will hopefully rein the expectations back in.

Taking stock of this situation and lining it up beside where I was at this point last year (attached) gives some perspective..

T-30 weeks (2010)
    4 hour turbo with transition run, a 15:42 1km pb in the pool, a 4k long pool set, a 2 hour LR at 4:44 pace, yoga...

T-30 weeks (2011)
    No long bike, no long swim set, a 1.5 hour LR at 4:21 pace, no yoga...

Average weekly volume is right down on the Roth programme
    Volume -37%
    Swimming -9%
    Biking -29%
    Running -40%

29 weeks is still lots of time and I must put some faith in the workload put down last winter. However while I feel that even a late charge at Austria could bring an enjoyable race finish, I may need to get realistic about the sub10 attempt.

Going on form... (if were to taper for IMAT now)
    While swimming volume is down a bit I feel that the form in the water is as good as it was this time last year. Definitely in terms of speed and efficiency. I may not have the endurance yet though
    Projection
    1:04

Biking has been all turbo so far and mainly working on FTP. I have zero long rides done and the last time I spent any significant time on the tri saddle was early July. I'd have to take it really easy to even get through it with some legs left to run.
    Projection
    5:50

Running is all over the place. I've checked my expectation in the 10 miler in 2 weeks to a sub65 and thats assuming the quads play ball with lots of roling in between. The endurance is there to run a Marathon. I'd need a run/walk strategy to get through one off the bike though and it would be slow. A case of managing pain
    Projection
    4:20

Total 11:24 :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Think it's that time of year when everyone just feels jaded, not to mention all the stress etc you've had going on over the last couple of months with the marathon and the house and everything else. Lucky I'm not working much this week, I'm shattered from a nine mile run this morning. Must be all that bloody swimming! :)

Long way to go Mike, tends to all click back in all of a sudden and you wonder what you were worrying about.

House looks awesome btw, I look forward to the invite for that dinner you're pulling a Jamie Oliver for, I don't like red meat btw...something chickeny please.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

MCOS, have you finished up with the coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

[QUOTE=

Total 11:24 :cool:

[/QUOTE]

You winding me up?? :D, maybe with a bmx bike, a snooze in transition and crawl the marathon :rolleyes:

................its all a smoke screen methinks!

I'm shattered from a nine mile run this morning. Must be all that bloody swimming! :)
    , I look forward to the invite for that dinner you're pulling a Jamie Oliver for, I don't like red meat btw...something chickeny please.
    Hey if you are running the GLR, I may just host a Boards BBQ if the sun comes out :)
    Notwitch wrote: »
    MCOS, have you finished up with the coach?
    Nope, I've only started! In fairness the Coach is really trying to accomodate the crazy life situation at the moment. It down to me to get the sessions done. Its waay different to the DF approach I had last winter so I just need to have some faith.
    handangeo wrote: »
    You winding me up?? :D,

Got me! I'm really doing 5 hour hilly bricks and 5k swim sets underneath it all.... I wish! I'm giving myself until the end of January to get into IMAT mode. I've no logistics sorted either :(

• Advertisement

It required a sizeable dollop of self motivation to get out in it last night. It was a pitch black, wet and windy evening. There was a chill to the wind too. I put on the cycling waterproof hi viz and a cap for all the good that would do. The logic was that I had a sort of eyeball headache looming and the thought of the horiziontal rain pelting off my forehead was not welcoming. Lo behold, once I hit the pavement the rain stopped and a full moon slowly emerged to illuminate the world again. I ran a shortened version of the usual loop making sure to rein it back. I'll eventually get around to A) using the garmin and B) uploading data to the ant+ agent. The great thing about the cycling jacket is that it keeps you dry on the bike. However core temp shoots up when you run in it so I ended up drenched in sweat with a dry cap on my head :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

handangeo wrote: »
    You winding me up?? :D, maybe with a bmx bike, a snooze in transition and crawl the marathon :rolleyes:

+1
    Although volume is not there this time around judging from the swimming and some of the tasty turbo sessions i think you are being harsh on yourself with your current estimations you sandbagger supremo:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hey if you are running the GLR, I may just host a Boards BBQ if the sun comes out :)

Cool, I'm pacing again so I look forward to the hotdogs and bbq chicken skewers. I might be down for Joey Hannon the week before as well, so I expect a nice meal and wine(sweet white please) to stop me freaking out the night before. :)

I failed to drag my ass out of bed for the group swim set on Monday so I vowed to get a good session done in the pool last night.

Long swim set
    4*400, 4*300, 4*200, 4*100 with 10 secs between each rep
    I wasn't firing on all cyclinders yesterday. If I had come home ofter the testing day at work I'd have gone staright to bed (which I did when I got home anyway). The option at the exit for work was turn left for home or right for the Arena? I went right. Again I drummed the set up in my mind on the way over and used the first 400 as a warm up. I basically swam steady for the whole lot sticking religiously to the 10 seconds regardless of what I came in on. There was a fair bit of traffic in the lane too which wasn't ideal. I got through the 4s and 3s ok but started to feel it. The 2s were harder work and I told myself that the 100s were just 2 lengths each to get through them. Overall a solid 4k set done in 69:20. It wasn't as comfortable as I'd like though which confirms that my endurance is not where I'd like it to be but I was just happy to put the session down. Afterwards I chatted with a woman who swam with me length for length. She was having a snack midway through her 12k set :eek: I asked if she was training for something big and she smiled. She is 3 months into a 6 month programme. She replied with a wink that she is mainly an OW swimmer. She also complimented my stroke and pool etiquette which made me blush. She has to put up with a lot of muppets over the daily hours she spends in the pool. Nice lady and uber focused.

Pool etiquette?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Pool etiquette?? ;)

Means he has learnt not to be a pr1ck in the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

tunney wrote: »

Was swimming lately - caught behind a slowmo (I'm not exactly Phelps myself). Another coming up the other side of lane. I went in between 2...

Felt a scrap going past slowmo.. Nothing major.. Then she done it again.. and this time - dug in...

Still have the marks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Pool etiquette?? ;)

A blast from MCOS's past :D. He's always living on the edge :p

"...I think I will be using the UL pool after Christmas as the one and only lane in the local 20m pool can be annoying. This morning for example there was a woman back stroking and breast stroking in the lane with another swimming frontcrawling which was fine. I gave her loads of room but she kept kicking off the wall before me which meant I had to pass her a few times often squeezing between her and the other swimmer. When she eventually did stop at the wall she gave me a talking to for 'dangerous swimming' to which I retorted with the pool etiquette written up on the wall ! Meanwhile the frontcrawler who was doing a good pace suddenly got up mid length and walked about 4 lengths in the lane!!!!!! GRRRR ARRGHH"

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

MCOS, i'm sure the coach has talked through the 'value' of the shorter/more intense turbos versus last years slogs but I just started listening to this weeks IMTalk episode which has an interview with Marilyn McDonald of endurance corner on winter turbos. Sounds like it might be worth a listen to reconfirm your faith in the intense stuff!

• Advertisement

I plan to head out for a run tomorrow to rescue a disaster of a week. The last session was a swim on Wednesday.

8*50 drills, 12*50 kick, 10*200 off 3:30, 200 b/stroke. 3,200m total

I shared a lane early afternoon with the LD OW swimmer I mentioned and another channel swimmer. We all did our own thing and despite me having fins on for the drills and they flipping onto their backs to actively rest the dull ache in their shoulders, we swam uninterrupted.

That was the last I trained. I felt tired and thought it was the swim the previous day that had taken something out of me. I had a pain across the top of my left to the front of my shoulder too and thought I had done some damage. I was developing a flu also which didn't help. I hit the bed at 8pm and have more or less slept since. Thankfully the shivers etc.. have disappeared but it served a purpose to take me offline for a few days. It was just as awell. I had a swim TT lined up to test critical swim speed and that may have made the strain worse. Having a niggle is annoying but being ill too is just a boot in the hole as they would say in these parts. So to combat the misery I dived into DIY mode and have put the best part of 16 hours of that down instead. Hence I feel rather unfit and pudgy but the house looks great :)

I've now missed more training sessions in the last 6 weeks than I missed in the first 6 months of this year. The 10 miler next weekend with turkey and wine still flowing through my veins is going to be a struggle. When I originally thought about a 10 miler I flirted with a sub 62. I revised that to sub 65 a couple of weeks ago and now that is not realistically going to happen. I fully expect my nemesis to disappear out of sight within 3 miles and I will probably do well to hang onto my swim nemesis if she shows up :o We have a bet on that next time we do kilkee that if I beat her swim split I win, unless she beats my run split!

Anyway thats the end of the waffle. I really just posted to rescue the log from the depths...
    tunney wrote: »
    Something like that. The woman is training for a big event. She has already done the channel as part of a relay so maybe a solo effort or something else. Either way last thing she needs half way through a 5 hour swim set is muppets kicking off the wall ahead of her just because she is a woman. She spent some time on my feet as she stated afterwards that lads rarely kick off before a guy who means business. Its true. Lads usually get out of my way at the wall. She was just happy to have company for a small portion of her set. I was swimming 1:36-1:40 pace for the reps too which was her 'all day' pace :eek: I generally swim close to the rope if I'm being overtaken and always let a faster swimmer through at the wall. I also don't overtake when I can't make clear water before reaching the wall.
    RedB wrote: »
    A blast from MCOS's past :D. "
    Jesus you have some memory to pluck that out! Winter 2008 learning to swim. It involved swimming lots of water :D Best thing I did back then was learn to breathe bilaterally and to count how many strokes it was takling me to cover each length...

Advertisement