Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

... and finishing the set off with a good long expulsion of flavoured wind :D

Gibbo I hear ya on both counts buddy. I'm bring a few minutes on the erg back in for the balance :cool: To echo El D's and your implication about DOMS and swimming. You are spot on there too and it was probably why the swim on tuesday was so tough. Shoulders tender today and I have a T20 swim TT tonight :o

So why bother with them? Are you a gym bunny or a triathlete? Make a decision cause swimming with fatigue arms is really a bit of a waste. (unless its swim fatigued and even then.......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

tunney wrote: »
    So why bother with them? Are you a gym bunny or a triathlete? Make a decision cause swimming with fatigue arms is really a bit of a waste. (unless its swim fatigued and even then.......)

Dont make him loose it with these type of questions, roid-rage isnt a pretty thing to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey mcos,

I'm feeling your heavy breathing on my neck as you cruise up behind me:)

I've flicked back over the log, but its not immediately clear what plan you are working to for this phase.
    Is this an extended base period from DF's competitive program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well my intention you see is too instill the fear of Chuck Norris into the IM PROs with the size of my biceps and then proceed to do the swim underwater for the surface will be too weak to support my muscle mass. Was that not obvious? :p
    Izoard wrote: »
    Hey mcos,

I'm feeling your heavy breathing on my neck as you cruise up behind me:)

I've flicked back over the log, but its not immediately clear what plan you are working to for this phase.
    Is this an extended base period from DF's competitive program?
    Might go to the wire eh ;) You still have the edge though and I'll be touch and go with the run gold which concerns me more right now! Yeah the format is more or less DF except for swimming, but its the MCOS version of the plan :)

Thursday 7PM: Turbo FTP session
    The Plan
    3*6mins at 80%
    Actual
    3*6mins at 80%
    I didn’t get on the turbo straight after work as planned so again this coincided with the central heating coming on thus easily making this the sweatiest session of the week. The reps were good. I just raised the cadence to 100rpm and hoped that MTV Dance would put on a song with a good beat. With 10 mins between reps it’s not a slog by any means but as the phase progresses and I increase the FTP time marginally, those 10 mins will feel shorter. 250w is pretty comfortable to sustain for them at this point although 2 of the reps were low Z3.
    Time 0:50
    Dist 28.9km

Thursday 9pm: Swim T20 (SC)
    Caz did this with her group the previous evening so I knew it was coming up. It was not a priority though so I was not as fresh as I would be for a planned time trial. A T20 is simple. Swim as far as you can in 20 minutes. The Coach keeps the clock and someone else marks your distance. My swim buddy and I both have the same 1500 PB and figured if we could hit that pace we would get around 1200 meters. I could feel the turbo effort on the warm up so knew it was going to be a tough swim. I lead out hard with him on my feet after only 25m. My plan (in theory anyway) was to start hard for 5 mins, settle for the middle 10 and push on again for the last 5. I settled after about 300 and found my length. I lost my buddy off my feet at about 600m but it was starting to hurt. I targeted lapping him to keep me driven. In doing so the swim resulted in a pleasing 1,275 meters, average pace 1:34/100m. I also hit PBs at 500m (7:50) and 1,000m (16:00) en route :D
    Time 0:28
    Dist 1,700m

Friday 6AM: Z2 Run
    I got up early and drove over to run from the pool car park. My legs started very sleepy and despite not being full of beans, it was a decent run. It was warmer than it looked and the wind had calmed a lot. I had to take my hat off and zip down my jacket going up a hill. Avg HR 150, pace 4:41/km
    Time 0:45
    Dist 9.78km

Friday 7AM: Group Swim session (LC)
    I had planned to hide in one of the slower lanes but the Coach dashed that idea for me. The warm up was grand 16 50s easy enough. The main set was not so grand and different to the norm.
    12*50m max effort off 2 mins. It doesn’t sound like a lot doing just 600m in 24 mins but it was hard! I was caught in between fast swimmers so just had to give it plenty. I was toasted after the last one and how my calves didn’t cramp, I don’t know. Up next was sets of 200/150/100/50 Z1. I did one set and cramped immediately at the start of the second, hence immediate cool down and early shower.
    Time 0:58
    Dist 2,300m

Hardly surprising that I was shattered on the way to work with nothing but food and sleep on my mind. Of course I would not have sessions bundled so closely together like this normally. It’s just the hand that life dealt me this week. It was a case of drop sessions or HTFU. The recovery week for this cycle is just 9 days away so I chose the latter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jaysus, that's a busy 4 sessions in a relatively short period of time. You'll sleep like a baby tonight! :D

Well done on the PB's. Amazing how much you're swimming is still coming on. Fair play. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

Mint Chicken and Celery Risotto. It turns out an odd shade of pastel green but tastes better than it looks ;)
    :)

somewhere an elegant italian man is weeping :)

seriously though, just caught up on the log, lots of good training going on there. Well done.

Saturday AM: Cycling Club spin
    It was a nice morning to start with, cold and hardly a breath of wind. I punctured on the way out the door somehow which put a rush on to meet the group before they left. The chosen route was handy with no real climbs and decent roads. The first hour passed quickly and involved 10 mins working hard out of my zone to catch the group again after a stop for a badly needed leak. The second hour involved some rollers and a pick up in the wind. The 3rd hour was just miserable. The rain came down heavily and without a jacket I suddenly felt the cold. It also involved another 10 mins out of the zone, again catching the group after a puncture detour. At least I had a mate to work with to reattach. The pace was comfortable at 31kmh average and the HR stayed in Z1 mostly average 121. I was glad to get home as I was soaked and frozen to the bone for a finish. Overall a disjointed and uncomfortable enough spin.
    Time 3:06
    Dist 96.2km

Sunday PM: LSR
    Conditions were simply marvellous for running. It was sunny cool and crisp to start, dark and cold to finish. I felt good straight away and had the tunes banging. I’m only using music for long runs as I tend to listen, ignore the watch and run by feel. The first few kms were too quick so I reined it back. The pace still remained sharper than last week. I wondered when the cardiac drift would kick in and I’d have to slow down. It didn’t really. The heart rate ventured into Z3 for a couple of hills but stayed in Z2 otherwise. Passed through the ½ marathon point in 1:37 so I think I’ll have a go at hanging onto the 1:30 pacers in Waterford. I’ll have no specific training i.e. speed work, done for it so it will be a case of seeing how long my fitness will hang on for. The Garmin had threatened with low battery a few times but thankfully only died at 2hrs. I added the 1.9km in at 5min pace as I took it easy up the last hill. The route was essentially the same as last week but the run itself nothing like it. Best long run I’ve done in ages. The difference a week makes eh. I felt it a bit in the last 2km but that was due to A) I got thirsty and B) I need new runners. Average hr 151, pace 4:38/km. A short stretch and a push up best of 64 afterwards :)
    Time 2:10 Run 0:10 Stretches
    Dist 27.99km

numbers
    8-14 November|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|13:29|221.73km
    Swimming|4|3:24|10.3
    Cycling|3|4:56|159.5
    Running|4|3:54|50.63
    Conditioning|1|1:15|Yoga & Core

Push ups: 421 (best single effort 64) :D

Overall a good week. Hardest swimming week I have put down but the rest was all comfortable. Low point was the soaking on the bike. High point was between cranking out a swim pb while tired and feeling the joy of running again. Week 2 down, 34 to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Last 2 weeks have been impressive stuff MCOS. 12 sessions is no easy feat.
    Ok I'm lazy, what training plan are you following?

With 34 weeks to go and putting in this effort right now do you think you might be pusing too hard at this stage?

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Last 2 weeks have been impressive stuff MCOS. 12 sessions is no easy feat.

With 34 weeks to go and putting in this effort right now do you think you might be pusing too hard at this stage?

No no - he'll definitely win the push up challenge in Roth. Oh wait he's entered Challenge Roth and not the Push Up Challenge in Roth!!!! Fvck mcos - you entered the wrong event!

Abhainn wrote: »

Fair questions. I more or less used the DF competitive programme to design my programme for an extended base period. The format actually suited me. I do my own swimming and turbo thing and tweek it each week to meet training objectives. I basically tailored it to suit.

I'm actually not pushing hard at all. I feel pretty good on most sessions. Swimming is the only bit of intensity. All of my running has averaged mid to high Z2 and cycling Z1 to low Z2. Most of the sessions are short. I'm adapting to 2 things right now. The feel of aerobic zones and frequency/time management. I haven't missed a session yet so its working ok so far. I'm on 4 week cycles and with a recovery week coming up next week, the running will drop towards Z1, The FTP turbo becomes a recovery spin, the volume will come down and I'll drop a swim :) If I don't feel fresh and ready for the next cycle I'll address the recovery strategy.
    No no - he'll definitely win the push up challenge in Roth. Oh wait he's entered Challenge Roth and not the Push Up Challenge in Roth!!!! Fvck mcos - you entered the wrong event!
    These push ups have hit a nerve with our oul Tunney eh! Dai jobu tunnee san dai jobu :D

These push ups have hit a nerve with our oul Tunney eh! Dai jobu tunnee san dai jobu :D

I do pushups anyways but not to the extent of interfering with actual training.

Monday AM: Group swim session (LC)
    1,000m of kicking and catch up to warm up, what a way to start a week! Thankfully the Coach showed us some mercy and let us use fins (or it would have taken me all day). The main set consisted of
    6*100m desc
    2*(200m/2*100m/6*50m)
    I didn’t hang around for sprints as that was enough work for me. Overall I felt pretty good despite shoulder DOMS.
    Time 1:02
    Dist 3,000m

Monday Push Ups: 3*30. Had a good chuckle to myself when I saw the push up challenge Misty created. Just when Tunney was turning friendly around these parts and all :D
    Aha! Real ones or girlie ones?

Tuesday AM: Z2 Run
    Some skipping and drills before the run. How strange would it be to look out your window at 6am and see someone skipping alone?! I suck at skipping. Basically attempted 10 times getting 10-30 skips each time. The run itself was a bit laboured. My legs felt flat and heavy. I went over on my right ankle again for the 3rd time in 3 weeks, thankfully not seriously. My runners are long overdue a replacement so I’ve pencilled in shoe shopping for next week! Since the legs were so lazy I focused on cadence and that helped. The legs and shoulders are overdue a massage so that is also being pencilled in for next week. Average heart rate 151, pace 4:35/km
    Time 0:49 run 0:10 drills
    Dist 10.68km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

oohhh, that sounds like fighing talk....perhaps you should both register for the push up challange on the main page!!

Group training session anyone?

Tuesday PM: Swim set (LC)
    The plan
    6*500m off 9 mins at strong cruise pace; ideally sub 1:40/100
    Actual
    500m 8:14 (1:38/100)
    500m 8:04 (1:36/100)
    500m 8:04 (1:36/100)
    500m 8:17 (1:39/100)
    500m 8:18 (1:39/100)
    500m 8:17 (1:39/100)

I wasn’t feeling great going over to the pool and knew it was going to be a tough set. I also knew I had a window of an hour before the lane closed and we would be moved into the lane of madness*, i.e. the slow lane. I use the first rep to warm up and settle into a rhythm. The 2nd and 3rd rep were much too fast though as a result of passing traffic. The swimmers I’d pass were not a whole lot slower so I’d have to inject a little push to hit the wall before they did. I knew I was swimming well as I checked my stroke rate against everyone I passed and my stroke rate was lower. I knew I’d pay for it though in the last 2 reps though and I did. I just held the second last rep at 1:40 ish pace with but 100m into the last one it was not going to happen. I considered winding down but decided I’d just work hard to see if I could get sub 8:20. I put the fins on for a bit of kicking afterwards but legs were cramping so I opted for very easy breast stroke. Tired and hungry afterwards.
    Time 0:59
    Dist 3,200m
    3*15 push ups before bed.

Wednesday AM: Yoga
    I hit the ergo for a rowing warm up for 5 mins at 220 watts or 1:56.0/500. While on it I watched the swim group below, studying the strokes of those I swim with. I try to visualise myself in the lane too. By the way, rowing is hard!
    Yoga itself was good but I was tired. There were a couple of new exercises which completely exposed my lack of hamstring flexibility. They were unpleasant for me but necessary. I did 3*31 push ups afterwards which weren’t easy.
    Time 0:05 row 0:50 core
    Dist 1.3km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You are doing some training which is great to read. Having started to do a bit of swimming.......more as something to enjoy.........I'm very impressed with the swims. I am poor at swimming but I'm going to get improvement lessons at some stage. I should do it sooner than later to iron out the crap habits I'm sure I have.

Where you always a good swimmer? Sorry I can't say I followed all of your logs to know all the details.

Where you always a good swimmer? Sorry I can't say I followed all of your logs to know all the details.

In short, NO. I began swimming in the summer of 2008 in a local hotel 20m pool. I spent the summer building up length by length gradually until I could do 1k. Then I started timing my 1k effort about twice a week. If I recall correctly it took me about 25mins at first. I read blogs and articles on swimming and applied one thing at a time. The main thing I focused on was getting to the end of the pool in as few lengths as possible. I then broke the 1k into 5*200m which I did off 5 mins repeat time. I used to just go for it every rep and spend the remainder of the 5 mins recovering.

I've never had a swim lesson, although these days people don't bellieve that as I have developed a nicer stroke than some who have been swimming for years. My most recent 1k pb was 16mins. I put it down to 4 things

1. Technique. I soon figured out that since there was no way that the skinny little girl in the next lane passing me out like I was sinking, was physically stronger than I, so swimming was more about technique than brawn. I can safely say I focus on something technical every time I swim. For all of 2009 it was more or less stroke length, stroke length, stroke length. Nowadays I focus on things like, catch, acceleration,roll, last quarter etc..

2. Swimming with a group. I progressed from 25 mins for 1k to about 20 mins by myself but joining a swim group accelerated the process. I began to swim off repeat times that pushed me. I also asked questions, got tips and learned fast. Swimming with a group also made it more enjoyable and got the miles in easier.

3. Consistency. 2-3 swims every week over the winter without fail. I would do a swim on friday to reinforce what I learned in the Thursday swim group session. Consistency developes swim fitness and also embeds the development of your stroke

4. Mileage. Just like the Marathon running guys in the main Forum. Once I cracked 30 mins for 1.5k I swam more. My fitness improved and my technique held up to better paces.

3 years ago I couldn't swim. 2 years ago I dreamt of swimming 1.5k in 30 mins. My secret goal to myself was to some day be able to swim 3.8km! Now I know I can do it, its just a matter of how efficiently I can do it. I can swim now, and I'm getting better at it but NO I wouldn't say I'm a good swimmer. Those are the ones who make it look effortless, glide over the water, tumble perfectly and hardly create a ripple except for the perfect little flutter kick to balance a perfect roll. Oh and they are seriously fast too :)

Hope some of this made sense. Best of luck with your swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thanks for that, really useful and interesting stuff. Thats great going considering you couldn't swim a couple of years ago. I didn't even know there were swimming groups that meet up like club runners would meet up for a run.

I must go through your novice triathlon threads and do some more reading on it all. Not that I plan on doing one (although, I think I'd enjoy it) but I like learning new stuff.

Thanks again.

Wednesday PM: Brick Session
    The Plan
    1:00 Z2 Turbo, 0:20 Z2 run
    Actual
    1:00 Z2 Turbo, 0:18 Z3/4 Run
    Once again the first 10 minutes of the turbo felt awful. My quads felt heavy. Once warmed up though I felt much better and got a very smooth 90+ cadence going. Last week I was happy to keep the cardiac drift in Z2 for the hour without downshifting so the aim was the same this week. I even managed a slightly higher output of 238 watts. Average hr 137 and I felt good.

I put on a dry long sleeve for the short run off the bike but when I opened the door to brutal conditions, I hesitated. It was cold, lashing and windy. I could see the water on the road that would ensure wet runners within a minute. I thought about another few minutes on the turbo but just got on with it. It was only a short jog around the neighbourhood after all. I had the wind at my back for the first km and the garmin beeped with 4:10. That was much too fast, however I decided to push on to get warm and home and dry earlier. The next km was uphill into the wind and 4:24, levelled out for a 4:14 and the last km downhill with the wind a 3:54. The last bit was a push up the last hill home to take my hr over 170! Overall average pace 4:11/km, hr 156. I thought about the Waterford half marathon in a few weeks and I’d have to maintain this pace to hold onto the 1:30 pacers. I doubt very much I could hold it for 21kms.
    Time 1:00 bike, 0:18run
    Dist 34.7km/4.33km

• Advertisement

Wednesday PM: Brick Session
    The Plan
    1:00 Z2 Turbo, 0:20 Z2 run
    Actual
    1:00 Z2 Turbo, 0:18 Z3/4 Run
    Once again the first 10 minutes of the turbo felt awful. My quads felt heavy. Once warmed up though I felt much better and got a very smooth 90+ cadence going. Last week I was happy to keep the cardiac drift in Z2 for the hour without downshifting so the aim was the same this week. I even managed a slightly higher output of 238 watts. Average hr 137 and I felt good.

I put on a dry long sleeve for the short run off the bike but when I opened the door to brutal conditions, I hesitated. It was cold, lashing and windy. I could see the water on the road that would ensure wet runners within a minute. I thought about another few minutes on the turbo but just got on with it. It was only a short jog around the neighbourhood after all. I had the wind at my back for the first km and the garmin beeped with 4:10. That was much too fast, however I decided to push on to get warm and home and dry earlier. The next km was uphill into the wind and 4:24, levelled out for a 4:14 and the last km downhill with the wind a 3:54. The last bit was a push up the last hill home to take my hr over 170! Overall average pace 4:11/km, hr 156. I thought about the Waterford half marathon in a few weeks and I’d have to maintain this pace to hold onto the 1:30 pacers. I doubt very much I could hold it for 21kms.
    Time 1:00 bike, 0:18run
    Dist 34.7km/4.33km

238 watts average for an hour in Z2, impressive, thats 4:45 IM wattage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I thought about the Waterford half marathon in a few weeks and I’d have to maintain this pace to hold onto the 1:30 pacers. I doubt very much I could hold it for 21kms.

Races are different and even splits help (and hopefully better conditions on the day), plus you ll have a few extra seconds a km although not much, and can push on with 5km to go.

238 watts average for an hour in Z2, impressive, thats 4:45 IM wattage.

I wish! Not really impressive. I'm ok for an hour, its 76% of my last tested FTP. My Z2 ceiling is hr150 and there is a gradual cardiac drift towards it for the hour. So once I hit it I have to downshift a gear which drops the output to around 210w. If I had to drop again the output would be 185-190w. My problem is my base as I have rarely done over 3 hours on the saddle. My recent output for 2 hours turbo was 226 watts. This weekend I have a 2.5 hour turbo planned* and I predict a hopeful 215w max average as I may have to downshift a second time to maintain the cadence and stay in Z2.

4:45 is 37.9kmh which is savage for an IM bike. Even if I was capabale of that, I'd be in no shape to walk let alone run off it. Also I'm only using the outut of the Taxc flow not a PM and the turbo shows more like 34kmh for 238w? I intend to do Roth by heart rate but the turbo is a good way to monitor progress over the winter.

*not exactly looking forward to it, obviously I'd rather be out on the road with the lads
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Races are different and even splits help (and hopefully better conditions on the day), plus you ll have a few extra seconds a km although not much, and can push on with 5km to go.
    Its not a significant race by any means. Caz is doing it so I entered to make a weekend of it. My 1/2M pb is 1:53 though so thats due an update :) For a more important race I'd plan it and train for it buit this one is in place of an LSR, albeit as quick as I can go ;)

Thursday PM: Turbo
    The Plan
    2*10mins at 80% FTP
    Actual
    2*10mins at 80% FTP
    I recalibrated the Taxc Flow after Tunney’s jab yesterday. It was negative so reset it to +1. This resulted in 241w for the hour at Z2 holding good form and a fresh cadence. For the reps I just increased the cadence to 100 or so for 10 minutes. I felt good. I’m thinking about going with slope for the reps instead, perhaps bumping it up to +2 or 3 to hit the target output. MTV dance 90’s classics on the box which passed the time happily for me :) 3*32 push ups afterwards.

Thursday PM: Tech swim session (SC)
    More fun with the coach’s drills. DPS, single arm with pull buoy, fists with pull buoy and various kicking exercises. We also received RTs based on the T20 last week and did a few 100s at what was supposed to be threshold. None of us got that and all went too fast. Got some tips on backstroke too as I generally do it for a cool down but with no sense of what I should be doing.
    Dist 2,00m

Friday AM: Z2 Run
    I was very nearly outdone by the snooze button. Hit it 5 or 6 times and seriously contemplated turning over and giving it a miss. Then I pictured my programme. No missed session this month. Today was not going to be the day. I was healthy, no niggles, no excuses! So I arose eventually and put on a new pair of Asics Run Leggings, which are the best I’ve worn yet. I felt sleepy for the first km (4:49) but then realised it was a superb morning, cold, still and clean air. There was a spring in my step too. My heart rate took its time to get up to mid Z2 and the pace was sharper than usual for the same approximate RPE as last week. This was a solid, enjoyable run and I felt afterwards like I could have gone back out and done it again. Average hr 147, pace 4:27/km. I’m eating 2 breakfasts these days as the base training and frequency of sessions has increased my appetite!
    Dist 11.2km

Friday PM: Masters swim session (SC)
    Main set 2*(2*100/50)/150*2)..:confused: these swim sets look more like Math Equations than traning sessions written down!!
    I had a feeling this would be tough. I've been feeling good the last couple of days (the extra hour sleep on Thursday mornings really tells). When I got to the pool I realised I had no togs, so I just swam in my jocks and hoped no one would notice. They did, and I was properly ribbed for it :o On the warm up though I noticed that if I kicked off the wall with any force they would come down. We were joined by some other uber swimmer, a giant of a man, to make it 3 uber swimmers in the fast lane. I reluctantly lead the rest out. There was no hanging with the ubers even in the short pool, I reckon they were hitting sub 1:20 for the 100s and they were lapping the back of the line on the 150s! One of them was doing butterfly on the 100s ffs :eek: Since I couldn't kick off the wall this was more difficult than usual and I was barely making the RTs. We did a few all out 25s to finish and I was utterly toasted.
    Time 0:32
    Dist 1,800m

Saturday PM: Long Turbo
    2.5 hours on it and it went pretty well. Sustained the cadence and kept it in Z1 for 90mins. I didn’t have to downshift at all which I’m really pleased with. Took the output up a little in the last half hour but 1:50 to 2:10 especially was mentally tough for some reason. Avg hr 131, output 231 watts. Quads felt it.
    Time 2:30
    Dist 84.4km

Sunday PM: LSR Z2
    I was out late with a belly full of 2 roast dinners and 2 helpings of apple pie and ice cream. Obviously, this necessitated a pit stop within 30mins. Despite this I was feeling good. The pace was sub 4:30, solid and I kept checking the watch expecting to be over Z2 but apart from dipping into Z3 for hills, the RPE was comfortable. I figured cardiac drift would take effect after 10k or so. It didn’t. In fact I hit the ½ Marathon mark in 1:34.xx which was surprising :) I took my foot off the gas after that. My right ankle showed itself in the last half hour and was pretty sore for a finish. I also felt it in my quads, arches, calves and knees. Again, taking on water and a gel might keep me fresher for the whole run. I’m putting it down to too much mileage on the current shoes though. They are done, flat and I knew I’d feel it on this long run. I have 2 new pairs of shoes on order, Asics GT 2160s and Mizuno Wave Rider 6, which I’ll rotate. I’m looking forward to comparing. I definitely cannot do one more long run on the Addidas Supernovas. They have been a good shoe but haven’t held up to the longer stuff very well. Anyway, an average of 4:30/km was a bit brisk for a long run but the heart rate average of 152 was upper Z2 but still Z2. Running is definitely showing signs of improvement lately. It’s most likely due to consistency and the weekly long runs. I did a long stretch and used the roller afterwards.
    Time 2:01 run, 0:50 core
    Dist 26.76km

week 3 numbers
    15-21 November|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|13:46|218.67km
    Swimming|4|3:23|10
    Cycling|3|4:30|154.4
    Running|4|3:58|52.97
    Conditioning|1|1:55|1.3 Rowing/Yoga/Stretching

Push ups: 522 (best single effort 50, best 3 sets 3*36)

A good week again although I felt it the last 3 days. Next week is the recovery week of this block. I'll be dropping a swim, dropping the FTP turbo work and reducing a lot of the running to Z1 as well as shortening the LSR. I've also booked a massage and tomorrow is a full rest day yippee :D The plan is to allow the body to recover and rebuild. I should be full of beans this time next week. Week 3 down, 34 to go :)

Monday: REST DAY
    The plan
    SFA :D
    Actual
    SFA :D

Tuesday PM: Z1 lunchtime run
    I slept through all alarms in the morning. Luckily I had gear in the boot for a lunchtime jog. I haven’t done one in ages and must improve the transitions from suit to running gear and back again! It was a lovely day, no sunshine and no wind either. I more or less kept it easy in Z1. My ankle is still a bit sore, especially noticeable on sharp right turns. I think it’s a ligament strain but I’ll get confirmation from the Physio in the morning. Average hr 141 pace 4:49/km
    Time 0:45 run, 0:05 stretch
    Dist 9.32km

Tuesday PM: Swim 3k straight.
    I figured I’d have the swim fitness for a straight swim but it was tougher than I anticipated. I can’t give out with a 50:29 as it’s a personal best for the distance by several minutes but it wasn’t a good swim end to end. The 1500 splits were 25:15 and 25:14, pretty even and both faster than my Joey Hannon triathlon split in the same pool in May this year. Again, nothing to complain about it would seem, however while I cruised the first 1500, the second 1500 turned into a bit of a slog. My length went pear shaped and I found it difficult to keep focused. I was getting distracted easily as I overtook people in the lane. I felt thirsty which may have been a factor. Usually in a swim set you are sipping water all the time. I won’t be doing that (hopefully) in Roth so these swims are decent practice. There is plenty to improve on but time to do it. Some backstroke with fins afterwards to cool down. I tried to relax more and press into the water like the front crawl. It was hard to do with all the pool water going up my nose!
    Time 1:00
    Dist 3,400m

Wednesday AM: Yoga
    Rowing warm up on the ergo. 2k at 1.50/500m and felt good.
    Yoga was good. I’m trying to gradually push the stretches that limit me most (anything that resembles a split). Some of the poses are hard to hold but tightening the core and focusing on breathing helps.
    Cool down 3.2k the treadmill yawn...
    Time 0:07 row, 0:45 yoga, 0:15 run
    Dist 4.2km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

You're flying along MCOS. AM I correct in assuming you do all of your turbo work on the tri aerobars? How do you feel about holding that position for most of the IM cycle?

christeb wrote: »
    You're flying along MCOS. AM I correct in assuming you do all of your turbo work on the tri aerobars? How do you feel about holding that position for most of the IM cycle?

Nope, roadie only on the turbo. I put on MTV Dnace Classics for the midweek ones and am usually sitting up and grooving with it for some of the session :) Position doesn't bother me for now, I'm just focused on aerobic fitness on the bike and improving my base. I'll take the TT bike out in the spring and spend time on the bars on a rolling course. I don't know yet how I feel about holding that position for the IM bike. The smoother roads will definitely help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

I figured I’d have the swim fitness for a straight swim but it was tougher than I anticipated. I can’t give out with a 50:29 as it’s a personal best for the distance by several minutes but it wasn’t a good swim end to end.

Starting to looking good for a sub one hour IM swim ;)
    Again, nothing to complain about it would seem, however while I cruised the first 1500, the second 1500 turned into a bit of a slog. My length went pear shaped and I found it difficult to keep focused. I was getting distracted easily as I overtook people in the lane. I felt thirsty which may have been a factor. Usually in a swim set you are sipping water all the time.

The mental torture of doing 3,000m plus in the pool without a break is harder than the physical effort:) You'll get used to it after a while. Before a full IM swim I always had a drink and a bananna / gel just to make sure I was topped up.

Hows the sinus washing going?:D

Advertisement