Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Oops no, Mike O'Brien. Check out his run split at Galway 70.3 :eek: He is going like a train at the moment. One to watch. Mike Y has other plans and yeah I reckon he will top a couple of NS podiums this summer.

Ah there's too many Mike's in Limerick!
    In fact Limerick has serious athletes all round really. Do ye all train in UL?
    I'd say that makes for some solid training company and quality sessions on a regular basis.

Wow Mike O'Brien had like 3rd fastest run split at Galway 70.3, 1:23! Impressive Pro beating stuff!
    Did he take his slot for Vegas next year?

You may as well spill the beans on the other Mike's plans while you're at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Squad Swim
    I was about to log how tough I found this session but then I just read
    Dory Dory's latest swim post and I feel a little small after it!

The set FWIW:
    4*100m warm up
    2 sets of 8*50m/4*100m/2*200m all at threshold pace
    6*50m drills
    6*50m kick
    3,400m total.

The 50s were quick but the 100s came in on 1:26-1:28 and pretty much toasted me for the 200s. I couldn't hang onto the fish for those.

Fazz wrote: »
    Ah there's too many Mike's in Limerick!
    In fact Limerick has serious athletes all round really. Do ye all train in UL?
    I'd say that makes for some solid training company and quality sessions on a regular basis.

Wow Mike O'Brien had like 3rd fastest run split at Galway 70.3, 1:23! Impressive Pro beating stuff!
    Did he take his slot for Vegas next year?

You may as well spill the beans on the other Mike's plans while you're at it ;)

I doubt Vegas is on the Cards as he is tying the knot in Kerry around that time. Yeah good depth in the club. Good group sessions going on all the time. I generally swim with the club and hook up with the cycles once in a while. There is a run group I'd love to hook up with but the timing doesn't suit. What club are you with and what is it like for club sessions?

I doubt Vegas is on the Cards as he is tying the knot in Kerry around that time. Yeah good depth in the club. Good group sessions going on all the time. I generally swim with the club and hook up with the cycles once in a while. There is a run group I'd love to hook up with but the timing doesn't suit. What club are you with and what is it like for club sessions?

I'm with Pulse.
    Plenty of group sessions on but I don't get to many of them due to times/locations not suiting at present. Have done the swims a good bit as I needed to! Find bike and run handier/faster/more efficient to do on own apart from long group spins etc. Need to do some interval group runs soon if I can.
    I know the value in group sessions though so need to sort out doing more.
    Weekly bike spin is a usual at least.

Back to your log anyway, have to admit I reallly like the look of your calendar.
    Solid spread of everything, but also well spaced out to allow for recovery and also focus for Barca at end.
    Looks set up to do well. I hope it goes to plan*.

*as long as plan includes chasing, not leading me in same races :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

God big changes here in a week! Good call on Austria, not easy though I know-it'll be there for again. It's probably a weight off your mind now though and I bet you will really enjoy racing around the country in NS races. That's why I picked them too. Last year there was a serious level at them, especially in Lough Neagh at the Nat Champs.

Great news too that there seems to be a good few of us doing Valentia and HOTW :)

Easy Run
    What is easy? I've been asking myself this lately. How easy is easy? I think the best way to judge it is by feel. The HRM can lie sometimes! Generally I would classify easy as low to mid base level so 70-80% MaxHR and capping it at 80%. I remember reading a Mark Allen interview a while back and how he spent an entire winter not letting his running heart rate climb above 150. He even described how hard that was to do as often you feel so good you just want to let loose. It takes discipline to build your base. The outcome though is simply and effectively a bigger engine. So I'm making an effort to keep easy runs easy. I felt really good for the first half hour of this run last night and my heart rate was under 150 for the most part. I seemed to glide past a couple of other runners en route. Coupled with the calm chilly conditions, it just felt great to be running loose. With that enthusiasm onboard however I noticed a couple of kms clocking a little faster and the heart rate rising a few beats. I could feel the effects of the long run in the calves and hamstrings and for whatever reason after 40 minutes and my energy started to fade too. Straight away I noticed my cadence getting very lazy and spent the remainder of the run forcing it as such, to stay fresh. I was happy with the first half of the run and keeping the effort low overall. I want to work on finishing the run comfortable too and that will just require an improvement in fitness.. simple really :rolleyes:
    Overall 0:58 at 4:33 pace, average heart rate 146, max (ignoring spike) 156, distance 12.77km
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/142310064
    Great news too that there seems to be a good few of us doing Valentia and HOTW :)
    some good racing in store then :)

• Advertisement

Also...I always thought it was a shame for you not to do more of the short stuff because a win is only a matter of time, NS included. So this could be a great decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Also...I always thought it was a shame for you not to do more of the short stuff because a win is only a matter of time, NS included. So this could be a great decision :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I had a swim event lined up as part of plan A that I was all excited about but that too became extremely tentative amongst it all.

Shame, would have been good to meet up. Unlikely to race much this year but we'll see - Kilkee's more social anyhow ;) Good luck champ.

I dunno about that lads, the NS can have some seriously heavy fields. If all the top lads in my own club were to show up I'd do well to make a top 10 amongst them alone!
    interested wrote: »
    Shame, would have been good to meet up. Unlikely to race much this year but we'll see - Kilkee's more social anyhow ;) Good luck champ.

Have you one in mind? I may have a plan B for that one too. Eton was the plan A for another day. Camlough may be plan B.

You not heading down for the Kerry pilgrimmage this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Have you one in mind? I may have a plan B for that one too. Eton was the plan A for another day. Camlough may be plan B. You not heading down for the Kerry pilgrimmage this year?

I'm planning to head to that event in the UK at the end of May but we'll see what we'll see this year. Unfortunately I won't make Valentia or the early ones this year either but hey - based on last year, this years event will be blessed by warm weather and sunshine.

• Advertisement

Brick Session
    A steady turbo at a consistent 85% FTP followed by a 5km easy run. The turbo took some control to maintain. I got to 40 mins fine and strong then had to dig in a bit before finding a second wind with 10 minutes to go. I noticed things about it too. At times I found a groove where there was a more even distribution of force for the full cycle and held it for a couple of minutes. The RPE for the same output went down a notch. I think it was something to do with focusing on the pull as much as the push. The next thing was the control. The session called for 80-90% effort and I decided to hold 85%. I felt good enough to push onto 90 but held it steady. When the effort bit down at the 40 minute mark it just took focus to hold the output. If I had pushed onto 90 earlier it would have taken a step up in RPE as well as the focus. As a result of the control I finished the session strong and only hit a heart rate max of 148 instead of finishing it pouring myself into the red zone.
    Overall 80 minutes at 273w, average HR 139, max 148

Transition Run

The legs felt very heavy and drunk like to begin with. I thought it was going to be a slog. It was cold and calm out and my quads thus cooled down quickly. It was an out and back mostly uphill out. My easy pace felt a bit ragged as I've done SFA running off the bike. I found some running legs though and got through the 5km at an average 4:34 pace. I noticed that my cadence was very lazy after the steady 90rpm on the bike. I felt I had another gear if I pushed it but a few things sprang to mind as I visualised it.
    A) I would get nowhere near holding sub 4 pace right now
    B) The legs would do well not to cramp, feulling will help this
    C) A hilly 10k seemed like a daunting prospect.
    There is a whole lot of work to do...
    Overall 5km in 22:50, average pace 4:34, heart rate 150, max 160

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

interested wrote: »
    I'm planning to head to that event in the UK at the end of May but we'll see what we'll see this year.

Thinking of hitting that one myself... although given the company discussing it, I'd be hard pressed to place amongst the boardsies :D

Squad Swim
    I've got to get to sleep earlier at night! Fought with the alarm again...
    Warm up: 800 various
    Main set #1: 2*400 at CSS (I:32/100 pace)
    Main set #2: 3 sets of (200/2*100/50) fast 2s, easy 1s, recovery 50
    Choice: 6*50 breaststroke and backstroke mix which wrecked me
    Fast: 4*50 max off 1:30 in on 36,37,37,38
    Cool down: 100 dead easy
    3,700m total

A very solid session. I felt good on the 4s and 2s and managed to keep clear water between my feet and my nemesis :D I tried like crazy to hit a 35 on the hard 50s but the main set took too much out of me and by the 4th rep I was swimming in quicksand. Had a good feel for the water this morning. Pretty tired afterwards though.
    kingQuez wrote: »
    Thinking of hitting that one myself... although given the company discussing it, I'd be hard pressed to place amongst the boardsies :D
    Cool, I probably won't get there so I've provisionally lined up Camlough on 26th August as my Marathon :) I want reports from both of you about it ya hear!

Hill Run
    Nada, didn't make it. I had to drop shotgunjunior off after swimming and I didn't make the rendez vous on time. I didn't know the area so hadn't a clue where to go either. I drove home disappointed. Maybe it was for the best as I have a nasty turbo test this evening.

Easy Swim
    Just a short very easy 2k single focus before work. I used the slow lane and tried to hold 36 strokes per length. It took some focus but I more or less did it. Best 35, worst 39
    Total 2,000m

Aerobic lunchtime run capped HR (155)
    It was a bit gnarly out there this afternoon. I had a hare of sorts too. My work colleague headed out the door a couple of minutes before me. I knew his pace to be around 5min kms so calculated the point on the route I'd catch him. I took advantage of running fresh out the door and pushed on a bit to get my heart rate up to 150. It did so quickly as I faced a headwind. I had him in sight after 2km but I noticed my heart rate hitting 157 on a short hill and had to pull back. I caught up with him a few hundred meters later about where I predicted so I suspect he was pushing on to prolong the contact :D Overall It shows another improvement probably due to weight moving in the right direction and reaching back and getting a finger grip on the fitness I built up to July last year. I didn't have the control I had last week though as my heart rate lurked close to the cap quite often. The blustery wind and sudden heavy downpours didn't help either.

Progression
    Date|Route|Time|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR|Conditions
    Jan 5|8.3km|37:43|4:32|151|157|mild and windy
    Jan 13|8.3km|36:28|4:23|147|155|mild and calm
    Jan 19|8.3km|35:11|4:14|151|157|cold, wet and windy

Thats the easy test out of the way. The hard one is later.

That's nice progress on that run Mike. So is 155 the top of zone 2?

Enjoy the pain of the turbo this evening :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will say a few hail marys for you:) Interested to see how you get on.

Didn't you have a CP20 test tonight?
    Or 2 of them rather... :eek::D

How'd it go?

does the other thread need to be updated with some new figures? :)

Hey Fazz yes I did, quads in bits but some new numbers to add alright.

Turbo Test
    The planned test was a T5+T20+T20 with 2 minutes easy between the 20s
    It required careful pacing of the first 20 which I didn't do. The warm up was 10 minutes easy with a few bursts, then a T5 to rev up the aerobic system and tax the anaerobic one so it didn't come to play and then 10 minutes really easy psyching myself up. I opted for some hard hitting hip hop for this, DMX, East vs West coast battles etc..

I had my current FTP in my head and knew I had to sustain about 325w for the 42 minutes to even keep that in play. I launched into it and by 4 minutes I was at 339w average, too high. I reined it back and had it at 334 by 10 minutes. By 13 minutes I felt good but should have been more comfortable. I was startinng to feel it for real. I spent the next few minutes grinding and thinking about the second T20. By 15 minutes I knew I had some power left but I knew it wasn't going to be enough for the second 20. I was still at 333w and my legs were yelling at me. I decided to go for the FTP on this one and deal with the second 20 afterwards. So with 3 minutes to go I drilled it, again at 2 minutes and again at 400+ for the last minute dragging the average kicking and screaming up to a final 342w. This times 0.95 gave a satisfactory improvement of 7 watts to 325w. I was hanging over the handlebars though. The 2 minutes easy flew by in the blink of an eye and my average had dropped to 332w in the meantime. I knew I was toasted but belted into the second 20 in hope. The pain chomped down on my thighs after just 2 minutes and I was in bits. I managed to drag the hole out of it and my soul for another 4 minutes until the averge fell from 332 which would have given me the same corresponding FTP over the 42 minutes. I was done though. I tried to get going a couple of times but that was it. I had gone much too hard in the first 20 but at least I got something from it. I cooled down for an easy 15 minutes to spin the legs out.

My max heart rate on the first 20 was 179 which is about right. I drove it to 181 on the T60 but it ticked very slowly then from 179-180-181. Overall I'll take the T5+T20*0.95 as an improved value to work turbo sets from now. I think I'm just better with solid straight pieces. I'd nearly rather a T60 than a T5+T20,2,T20 as you have no break in rhythm. I had done the longer version in my last 2 tests so in a way taking the value from just one 20 feels a bit cheap even if I did grill my legs for 5 minutes in the warm up. I think I had signed up to give the first 20 welly anyway because If I was serious about the 42 I'd have reined it back straight away. Now I just hope to god there isn't a kicking set in the pool in the morning!

The weight is down on the last test too so kg/w value moved in the right direction also :)

@pgibbo yeah more or less 155 is approx 80% max heart rate so yep top of Z2

Swim Squad
    Warm up: 14*50 kick 25 swim 25, typical :rolleyes:
    Speed: 8*50 max off 1:30 in on 38,37,36,35,36,35,35,36, ouch!
    Endurance: 3 sets of 2*100/200/2*100 off 3:30/1:45 respecively
    Choice: 6*50 backstroke, breaststoke mix
    3,200m Total

Just happy to get through this session. The hard 50s early in the set made the endurance set a tougher task. I pushed them hard looking for a 35 and when I got it I tried for another. Pretty please with 3 out of 8 :D I was wrecked.com after them and there was a real absence of fish for the endurance set. Just the waterpolo fish who is usually one of the first out the water in Tris. He vanished and left me to lead out the rest. Despite my legs and shoulders feeling it I managed to hold approx CSS pace for the set with the 200s in on 3:01 and 3:02. All good. I then inhaled half the pool doing an exuberantly splashy backstroke as usual...

• Advertisement

OUCH - some test Mike. Fair play. :cool:

I would say you did not know to laugh or cry when they announced 14x50 as the WU this morning:) Well done on the testing and good to get the hr up to near max. Nice 7watt improvement, how does the watts per kg improvement look?

@Jackback I'm keeping a nice shiny graph tracking weight and Its moving in the right direction since Christmas. The 7watt improvement may not sound like a lot but it took a good honest venture into the depths of the pain cave to get it. Coupled with the weight loss the w/kg moved from 4.02 to 4.23.

No Run
    I don't have a run on the plan today. Fridays is an easy day, well apart from the swim Coach liking speed work on Friday mornings. However, I still brought my runners in my bag. Why? Because RacoonQueen has crossed 200km running on the damn SBR callenge :rolleyes: My gremlin was trying to convince me to head out the door and get a sneaky half hour in just to limit the damage. Pure SBR, aka no purpose, miles. Unless of course one of your goals is to beat xyz nemesis on the challenge. So in short I've binned the idea. RC can have it! I'm not competing with her obsession nor Fazz's love affair with his turbo...:)

Now when Dory Dory's local swim pool opens up... thats going to be interesting :p

POWERFUL bike testing MCOS! Seriously. You will have some bike splits this summer and come Barca. Also nice progression in a couple of weeks on the easy paced runs. Same HR but much faster and that was on a windy day.

All positives here in this log anyway, keep it up :)

@Jackback I'm keeping a nice shiny graph tracking weight and Its moving in the right direction since Christmas. The 7watt improvement may not sound like a lot but it took a good honest venture into the depths of the pain cave to get it. Coupled with the weight loss the w/kg moved from 4.02 to 4.23.

Any wattage improvement whilst getting the weight down is a good sign as its hard to do both, increase power and lose weight at the same time. Wattage improvements from here on in will be difficult to find but as long as the watts per kg number is going up then thats all that matters. 4.02 to 4.23 is a very good 5% improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Now when Dory Dory's local swim pool opens up... thats going to be interesting :p

You have a bullseye on the back of your Speedo! ;)

Wattage improvements from here on in will be difficult to find but as long as the watts per kg number is going up then thats all that matters. 4.02 to 4.23 is a very good 5% improvement.

Agree, the fact that I managed 6 minutes of the second 20 after the first 20 suggets I have a little more to give but given that I have another 5kg to drop to my race weight target I would be happy just to maintain this power and improve the w/kg with some food discipline. Building a layer of endurance on top and then season with specific hill work and I may just get to that sub 5 place with the juice left to run off it
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    You have a bullseye on the back of your Speedo! ;)
    I'll enjoy the chase then ;)

Long run
    I left the Garmin at work so had to do this on RPE. It was the same run as last week only to include 4*10 mins at approx half marathon intensity. I did the reps after a half hour easy and steady. I ran at what I though would be approx 4 min pace. The quads were still heavy from the turbo test so I didn't push that hard in the end. The last 2 reps were on the toughest part of the route and It became a bit of a plod. Less energy overall but happy to get consistant long runs in now.
    Overall approx 24km in 1:48, approx 4:30 pace and some sort of heart rate

Turbo/Run Brick
    Again it was a shame to be on the turbo with such nice conditions outside but shotgunjunior had a busy social sunday lineup and I had to do what I could. So a simple enough 2 hour brick with some FTP reps.
    Turbo:
    30 minutes easy
    5*6 minutes at 325w + 4 minutes at 245w
    20 minutes steady

Run:
    20 mins very easy.

I felt good on the turbo. I stuck it on the 50/12 (compact) for the reps and kept them rock steady at 85-90rpm. The new FTP value felt right at the upper end of what felt like sweetspot training. Overall it was a solid session throughout. The run off the biek again felt lazy and heavy and remains something to work on.

Turbo/Yoga
    30 minutes superlight spinning the legs and then a simple 8*16 sequence sun salutations.

A pretty decent week put down again. I'm starting to feel the groove :)
    The april plans wer subject to change and indeed have transpired as such. Both the North Tipp Sprint and Joey Hannon are off the cards which I'm rather disappointed with but thats just life. I'm thinking of replacing Nenagh with Tri-Laois and I muct find a suitable replacement for Joey :(

POWERFUL bike testing MCOS! Seriously. You will have some bike splits this summer and come Barca. .
    Cheers El D. The FTP score has to be taken with a pinch of salt as its on the Taxc Flow. Its all I have to work with though however inaccurate it is in the real world but as long as I train by my own values I can still progress.

• Advertisement

The IMAT bound lot at the club must have had a serious training weekend as there were a lot of tired faces about this morning... It didn't however deter the non IMAT bound fish from taking us through the ringer.

A no conversation swim set!
    900 various warm up
    16*50 off 50 secs focus on DPS
    20*100 off 1:40 in on 1:29 average
    200 backstroke easy
    100 cool down
    4,000m total

I found this session hard. I was in the lane first thing and so got an extra long warm up done. The 16*50s that followed kind of set the tone. The 100s then felt like a last man standing set. A few dropped out of the group at different stages and I even thought about it myself. After 10 reps the rest time evaporated and I had to breathe every 2 to suck the air in at times. I checked my splits every few. I wanted to hold sub 1:30 pace and had to dig deep for it for the last few reps. I was spent for a finish. The waterpolo fish wasn't happy with his 'laboured' 1:22 average :rolleyes: I was secretely delighted with my set. I almost drowned on the backstroke but it felt good to rotate the shoulders the opposite direction.

Advertisement