Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I had Alicia Keys top 20 to keep me entertained for 2 hours,

Was that Alicia herself featuring in 20 videos (tell me it was video and not audio...), or her selection?:)

If the former, 2.5hrs doesn't sounds quite so insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Izoard wrote: »
    Was that Alicia herself featuring in 20 videos

Here here Izoard, acceptable music if Alicia is visible on the TV at the time - nancy boy music if its only an audio recording ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great training as usual MCOS. See you in Waterford. 100 PUs, wow. Didn't take you long to nail that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sunday PM: LSR Z1 - Z2
    I had intended my usual route but started out doing it in reverse as it gave me more options to bail out early. That said plenty about my mindset. Conditions were very cold and a very thick fog blanketed the city too. I ran on road for the first hour on heavy sluggish legs. My cadence was a low 82-84 so I chose a hillier route to try to knock the laziness out of me. I still had little motivation and after an hour I had to run mostly on paths as the fog made the road too dangerous. Cars were not stopping at pedestrian crossings too which annoyed me. 2 near misses on ice reduced me to a shuffle and I lost interest entirely. I had loads of layers on but really should have put on a waterproof jacket. I was tired, cold, wet and hungry, a pretty lousy combination. Caz had intended a long run too so I meandered onto her usual route hoping to bump into her for a few km home. I didn’t see another person running at all! In fact Caz was long home (she has more sense!) and had a tea brack in the oven by the time I got back :)
    Time 1:35 + long stretch afterwards
    Dist 20.22km

week 5 numbers
    29 Nov-5 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|14|14:17|241.94km
    Swimming|3|2:30|7
    Cycling|3|5:00|173.9
    Running|7|4:37|61.04
    Conditioning|1|2:10|Yoga/Stretching

Push ups: 506 (best 3 sets 3*42, best single attempt 100 :D)

Not a bad week training but I should really get more sleep. Missed my planned swim this morning as I just didn't wake up. My swimming mojo is still on vacation and hopefully has a return ticket. I was happy to put the long turbo down as I had been dreading it. The fact that 90mins run yesterday didn't feel like a long run indicated my base fitness is starting to improve. I'm hell bent on improving flexibility too. I'm going to wait until after xmas to zone in on nutrition. Week 5 down, 31 to go :)

Calves are feeling the strain a little bit with all this slushy snow.
    My calves are tender too which doesn't bode well for the pool this week :cool:
    Izoard wrote: »
    Was that Alicia herself featuring in 20 videos (tell me it was video and not audio...), or her selection?:)
    If the former, 2.5hrs doesn't sounds quite so insane...
    Yep, 20 Alicia videos on the trot, happy days :D
    Macanri wrote: »
    Great training as usual MCOS. See you in Waterford. 100 PUs, wow. Didn't take you long to nail that one.
    Cheers. Maybe I'll meet you in Waterford but all I'll be seeing is you scooting off down the road. Your running is lifting lately. The 100pus was torture but I wouldn't let my knees drop until I had em done. It took ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sunday PM: LSR Z1 - Z2
    Time 1:35 + long stretch afterwards
    Dist 20.22km

Are you still doing waterford?? Thats great running for bad conditions and in those zones, you should smash 1.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You must be very happy with the consistency in your training MCOS? Fair play to you. Some very impressive figures on the bike and run for Z1 & Z2. Kudos. :cool:

catweazle wrote: »
    Are you still doing waterford?? Thats great running for bad conditions and in those zones, you should smash 1.30!
    I am if it goes ahead this weekend. I'd love sub90 but I have no specific training done for it so hoping LSRs alone will be sufficient. If I don't get it this time I'll definitely get it next summer.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    You must be very happy with the consistency in your training MCOS? Fair play to you. Some very impressive figures on the bike and run for Z1 & Z2. Kudos. :cool:
    Thanks. The difficulty of balancing the 3 discplines though. As soon as I throw a focus on some running, my swimming goes to pot :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

How do you find the yoga sessions? I have ongoing problems with flexibility in particular my hip flexors cause me some problems from time to time. Would you recommend incorporating a weekly session into my training plan?

How do you find the yoga sessions? I have ongoing problems with flexibility in particular my hip flexors cause me some problems from time to time. Would you recommend incorporating a weekly session into my training plan?

I would recommend Yoga. I used to do Pilates but the class was late in the evening so I switched to an early morning Yoga class that I try to do 2-3 times a month. Its very good for flexibility and you can push the poses further when you don't think you can. Its an extra 40 mins or so onto your schedule plus whatever commute you might have to the class so thats worth considering in the overall bigger pisture aspect of the programme.

• Advertisement

The miserable run
    Monday PM: 10.59km 0:53 Z1 pace 4:59, hr 137
    Very cold and wet conditions. Lots of layers on straight after work and started very easy at 5:20 pace. I felt ragged for about 10 mins. I couldn't get any cadence going and I thought it was going to be a slog. The sleet/rain abated and I found some kind of rhythm in the dark industrial park I chose to run through. A minor slide every so often on ice kept me cautious. Motorists seemed to be generally impatient and I was beeped off the road many times despite wearing a hi viz jacket. I had some sort of pain in my stomach too. I felt better by the end of it but it was one to forget.

The joyous run
    Tuesday PM: 10.6km 0:50 Z1/2 pace 4:43, no hr data
    I didn't get up for a run this morning so promised myself to get out at lunch. It had been snowing heavily so everyone thought I was mad heading out in it. I felt great running along the paths crunching the fresh layer of snow. We have only had 2 short snowfalls in Limerick thus far and I've caught both of them fresh before they turned into slush. The paths were actually fine to run on for the most part. Compacted snow had less traction and I walked over the short icy bits. It was an out and back course so I had fun tracing my own stride on the way back and the run flew by as a result. The northerly breeze was cold but lovely and fresh. RPE definitely higher running on snow but a fun run no less. The looks I got off pedestrians on their lunchbreaks was very satisfying. Even a bunch of hoodies decided to say 'fair play to ya boss, your mad man' instead of pelting me with snowballs :D

Tuesday PM: Swim session (LC)
    The plan
    6*500m off 9mins
    Actual
    6*500m off 9 in on 8:15, 8:16, 8:27, 8:23, 8:23, 8:28
    I just wasn’t feeling it for this session. If progress is 2 steps forward one step back then I’m on the step back phase because my swimming is rubbish lately. It feels like my body is twice the weight and I’m swimming through mud. The RPE for the session was much high than a couple of weeks ago and yet the reps were 10 seconds or so slower. My DPS is awful and I don’t seem to be maintaining as much momentum. Its funny because a girl I know as a long distance OW swimmer was in the lane next to me and swimming a similar pace. She commented afterwards that I looked good but I felt anything but. This was a real slog :( I’ll be washing down dioralyte after the turbo sets and fuelling myself for these swims. I’ve had problems with Iron before so it may be time to go back on those awful supplements I gave up in my 20s. The LD swimmer said she might join me next time so company might help too.
    Time 0:54
    Dist 3,000m

Wednesday AM; Group swim (LC)
    I had half a cinnamon bagel with butter and jam and a glass of OJ before the swim this morning to see if it would make any difference. It’s been a while since I swam with this lot. After an easy warm up, the main set was 3*(200*2/100*2/50*2) off stiff RTs. I was working hard from the start and by the middle of the second set I thought I wasn’t going to complete the set. I was falling off the back despite pushing. I was barely making the RTs too so it was almost constant swimming. For the 3rd set I took a deep breath and focused on getting my reach and catching more sharply. It jump started me (well kind of). I caught up with the group again and held on more comfortably. Maybe the bagel kicked in? Overall it wasn’t a good swim, I nearly gave up. Thankfully I didn’t as I got something out of the end. I’m laying off the push ups for a while too in case that is a factor.
    Time 1:05
    Dist 3,100m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I can agree with you on the two steps forward, 1 step back. Swimming is a funny thing but good to see you're keeping at it (with great times to boot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Tuesday PM: Swim session (LC)
    The plan
    6*500m off 9mins
    Actual
    6*500m off 9 in on 8:15, 8:16, 8:27, 8:23, 8:23, 8:28
    I just wasn’t feeling it for this session. If progress is 2 steps forward one step back then I’m on the step back phase because my swimming is rubbish lately. It feels like my body is twice the weight and I’m swimming through mud. The RPE for the session was much high than a couple of weeks ago and yet the reps were 10 seconds or so slower. My DPS is awful and I don’t seem to be maintaining as much momentum. Its funny because a girl I know as a long distance OW swimmer was in the lane next to me and swimming a similar pace. She commented afterwards that I looked good but I felt anything but. This was a real slog :( I’ll be washing down dioralyte after the turbo sets and fuelling myself for these swims. I’ve had problems with Iron before so it may be time to go back on those awful supplements I gave up in my 20s. The LD swimmer said she might join me next time so company might help too.
    Time 0:54
    Dist 3,000m

Just my opinion as usual,
    background - your progress in your swimming has been great to date. It may feel like you're not progressing but by going to the sessions you are (buy maybe not at the same rate you're used to) ... but it may not always be possible to measure the progress as easily as you have before - since variables such as tiredness, soreness, lack of food, too much food, traffic in the lanes etc will come with the IM training territory now and probably for the whole season. You're also doing a solo swim aimed at (correct me if Im wrong) improving your swim endurance. Not sure, but this might be new to you ... and would certainly differ from alot of other peoples experiences to date.

Having company for the set of 6 5's might help you. Also, you might consider (if possible) keeping an eye on your 100 split times on the way through these to ensure you're keeping focus. Its your set and your choice but doing something like 8 * 400's in the next block / period of training may also help with the focus. You may have a good reason for the 500 but .. 8 * 400's may be just as good and it might help you stay on top of the session rather than drift through it.

Without the bad days (or days that feel bad to you) there can never be the good ones. Its all money in the bank for you come next July anyhow.

Anyhow - thats enough - dont want you getting too fast over distance ;)

interested wrote: »
    Having company for the set of 6 5's might help you. Also, you might consider (if possible) keeping an eye on your 100 split times on the way through these to ensure you're keeping focus. Its your set and your choice but doing something like 8 * 400's in the next block / period of training may also help with the focus. You may have a good reason for the 500 but .. 8 * 400's may be just as good and it might help you stay on top of the session rather than drift through it.
    ;)

Hey interested thanks Chief always good to have your perspective on swim sessions in particular. I actually did the 8*4s last week and it was a tough set. I was thinking of doing it again next week. There is a clock on the Arena wall at the far end so I check my time on the 5s at 150, 250 and 450. I generally hold an even pace but I get what you mean by drifting through. Last night was the first time I faded on the second half of the reps. On the recent 3k I split it dead even although the RPE was much higher for the 2nd half. You are right about progress. At the start of the year I was targeting 1:40 pace for a 1500 race split and now I'm expecting to hold it for a 3k set comfortably :rolleyes: I guess bad days come with the territory of endurance swimmming. Any time I feel the pinch in a session though I visualise what it will feel like to be fully loaded and fresh as a daisy on race morning :)

Hey interested thanks Chief always good to have your perspective on swim sessions in particular. I actually did the 8*4s last week and it was a tough set. I was thinking of doing it again next week. There is a clock on the Arena wall at the far end so I check my time on the 5s at 150, 250 and 450. I generally hold an even pace but I get what you mean by drifting through. Last night was the first time I faded on the second half of the reps. On the recent 3k I split it dead even although the RPE was much higher for the 2nd half. You are right about progress. At the start of the year I was targeting 1:40 pace for a 1500 race split and now I'm expecting to hold it for a 3k set comfortably :rolleyes: I guess bad days come with the territory of endurance swimmming. Any time I feel the pinch in a session though I visualise what it will feel like to be fully loaded and fresh as a daisy on race morning :)

no worries, in addition to visualisation of race day (I think this falls into the drifting off category;)) if theres one thing that helps most when things feel wrong ... slow it all down ... put the basics of the stroke back together and more than likely you'll be in a better position to get back to the pace you want.

Also, based on my own experiences over the last while ... if you've a session goal .. like 3k .. for these solo sessions dont be afraid to vary it ...

8 * 400
    15 * 200
    6 * (5 * 100 desc 1-5) - you can do these with or without an extended rest after the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th 100.

Add 10 seconds to your target pace for 100 ... multiply where necessary - and stick with it ... little or no point swimming 30 * 100's with 20 seconds rest after each one since it'll feel a million miles from where you need to be the day of the race where you want to hit the appropriate pace to get your through the swim efficiently, conserving energy for the more important efforts later in the day when the doubts come. Also, swimming 5 mins slower and conserving more energy may help avoid more time consuming issues like walking come the 3rd 10k in the run.

... obviously there are alot of different combinations and some will hurt more than others ... but ... swimming 3k or more straight or long sets (anything over 400's) isnt always the best use of your pool time imho. Unless Ive a clock at either end of the pool I tend to drift badly when it comes to things like 800 reps ... unless theres pressure on each one of them and Im being watched / coached.

interested wrote: »
    ... if you've a session goal .. like 3k .. for these solo sessions dont be afraid to vary it ...

8 * 400
    15 * 200
    6 * (5 * 100 desc 1-5) - you can do these with or without an extended rest after the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th 100.

Add 10 seconds to your target pace for 100 ... multiply where necessary - and stick with it ... little or no point swimming 30 * 100's with 20 seconds rest after each one since it'll feel a million miles from where you need to be the day of the race .

Hi interested, what do you mean by multiply where necessary? Ie for 200s do I take 20s and so on? I plan to do desc 100 sets after the base phase, so for now the focus is on building the endurance through longer reps. Also what combinations are good for a 4k set? I use this set for pure work, if I finish early I do some drills but the first rep is my warm up.

Hi interested, what do you mean by multiply where necessary? Ie for 200s do I take 20s and so on? I plan to do desc 100 sets after the base phase, so for now the focus is on building the endurance through longer reps. Also what combinations are good for a 4k set? I use this set for pure work, if I finish early I do some drills but the first rep is my warm up.

If your target time is 22.30 for 1500 f/s
    22.30/15 = 1 min 30 per 100

so you want to train to do 15 * 100's f/s on 1.35 as comfortably and efficiently as possible.
    You dont really want to be doing 100's day in day out ... so for a set of 8 * 200's you might consider doing them off 1.35 * 2 or 3.10 ... hence the vague multiply where necessary (apologies).

4k sets ?
    10 * 400's during a base period - limiting rest to around 10 or 15 seconds imho. Im not as well read regarding zone training as many around here .. but in my opinion if you're doing these at around 60% perceived effort you're working well and holding stroke.

Things like
    1000 alternating 50's - swim/kick/pull/swim
    2 * (5 * 200's) desc 1-5
    10 * 100's

A more recent idea Ive had first hand experience with recently are sets of 400's ... with x seconds 'vertical' kick @ the 200 ... where vertical kick is arms/hands in streamlined position above head but you're body is vertical as opposed to horizontal on the water. Im not sure of its value as yet ;) other than to focus your attention on actually breathing whilst bobbing ;)

There are literally loads of ways to swim 4k ... depending on the time of the year the intensity can vary and probably should vary. Based on a recent chat with an experienced bike coach regarding the need for anaerobic work throughout the year irrespective of race distances .. Id a look at my old log books again and noticed that it was fairly common to do full on 110% efforts on small sets within a distance session throughout the year. The controlled efforts at or close to race pace for 1500 swimmers were really only done within the last 2 weeks / taper time for an event.

Anyhow - hope that explains my earlier post.

Thanks again interested, I'll might try the 10*4s sometime... gulp!

Wednesday PM: Ze brick session
    1:00 Z1 turbo. Its improving. 241w for an hour in Z1 is progress. Its 77% of FTP so I'm having a rethink about the reps I do at 80%. Either make the reps longer sooner or do a T20 on the next recovery week and/or see if the FTP has moved? As usual my quads felt terrible for about 10 mins until the engine warmed up and then it felt comfortable. The hr drifted across Z1 but as much as I thought it would, it never crossed into Z2 and averaged below 130.
    0:27 Z2 run. The snow had compacted on the paths but I was skipping along at a decent clip. The RPE was slightly higher on hills as it was a bit slippy. The paths were not as bad as the road though. I had to cross roads very cautiously. Still, I enjoyed this run, temp -3, in shorts, running on snow covered/icy footpaths. I guess the puzzled looks and frequent comments I got were warranted! Hr 147, pace 4:28/km
    Time 1:27 with 0:20 core afterwards
    Dist 34.7km/6.02km

Thursday PM: Brick ‘n’ Swim
    It was a bit late when I started as I promised Caz I'd have dinner ready when she got in, thus the session were bunched together.

Turbo: 1:00 including 3*8mins at 80% FTP. I felt good and the reps were comfortable. I just increased the cadence 5-6spm for them. Overall 245w, cadence 94, hr 133. I was really tempted to either do them harder or reduce the generous time between. However I reminded myself that this is base training and I’m sticking more or less to the 10% rule of increasing volume and intensity. Yes maybe I can take much more intensity but its not the objective of the phase... patience. Dist 35.9km

Transition run: 0:18 Z2-Z4 build for 4km. I aimed to hit a cadence of 88 and push for 90. It was a short run so I built it up to 170 hr through 4kms in 4:33, 4:19, 4:09, 3:49 and then did 90 secs super easy. I was half way up a hill when I dropped the pace so I was breathing hard. The conditions were mild, wet and thawing nicely. Dist 4.33km

Swim: 0:45 group session (LC). Usually it’s a technique set but for a change it was threshold/speed work for the main set. 16*(50m LTHR/25m flat out) with 20 secs rest after every rep. The rest was enough to keep up a momentum through the work. Hit 42/19 for most of them and 40/14 for the last one giving the last 25 everything I had! Good session, first swim I’ve enjoyed in a couple of weeks :) Dist 1,800m

Friday AM: Swim session (LC)
    The main set was challenging. It was just 6*100m off 1:45 but it was 75 f/s and 25 choice. All these swimmers can change immediately into another stroke and don’t seem to lose speed or efficiency. However I flip onto my back and the world slows down :rolleyes: By the time I’ve hit the wall they are gone! A little spice and the end of the 100s ensuring tougher work than usual. The rest of the session just contained waaay too much kicking. My hamstrings were giving out to me. The coach must have been in bad form or something! I felt tired but hung on mostly.
    Dist 2,800m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thursday PM: Brick ‘n’ Swim
    It was a bit late when I started as I promised Caz I'd have dinner ready when she got in, thus the session were bunched together.

Turbo: 1:00 including 3*8mins at 80% FTP. I felt good and the reps were comfortable. I just increased the cadence 5-6spm for them. Overall 245w, cadence 94, hr 133. I was really tempted to either do them harder or reduce the generous time between. However I reminded myself that this is base training and I’m sticking more or less to the 10% rule of increasing volume and intensity. Yes maybe I can take much more intensity but its not the objective of the phase... patience. Dist 35.9km

Transition run: 0:18 Z2-Z4 build for 4km. I aimed to hit a cadence of 88 and push for 90. It was a short run so I built it up to 170 hr through 4kms in 4:33, 4:19, 4:09, 3:49 and then did 90 secs super easy. I was half way up a hill when I dropped the pace so I was breathing hard. The conditions were mild, wet and thawing nicely. Dist 4.33km

Swim: 0:45 group session (LC). Usually it’s a technique set but for a change it was threshold/speed work for the main set. 16*(50m LTHR/25m flat out) with 20 secs rest after every rep. The rest was enough to keep up a momentum through the work. Hit 42/19 for most of them and 40/14 for the last one giving the last 25 everything I had! Good session, first swim I’ve enjoyed in a couple of weeks :) Dist 1,800m

Friday AM: Swim session (LC)
    The main set was challenging. It was just 6*100m off 1:45 but it was 75 f/s and 25 choice. All these swimmers can change immediately into another stroke and don’t seem to lose speed or efficiency. However I flip onto my back and the world slows down :rolleyes: By the time I’ve hit the wall they are gone! A little spice and the end of the 100s ensuring tougher work than usual. The rest of the session just contained waaay too much kicking. My hamstrings were giving out to me. The coach must have been in bad form or something! I felt tired but hung on mostly.
    Dist 2,800m
    maybe you paid for thursdays hard session friday ???

maybe you paid for thursdays hard session friday ???

No doubt about it. The thursday swim is valuable as its usually a technical drills session and I'm lazy about doing drills on my own. The session is late though. Ideally I'd get on the turbo straight after work so I have an hour rest before the swim. I'm not sure I'll be signing up to the session after xmas as the turbo sessions will get progressively more intense.

Friday PM: Z2 run
    My legs felt quite sluggish and heavy. Cadence was low at 84 or worse. RPE was a bit higher than usual but pace still good for Z2, 4:28/km. Avg hr 149 but it was hard to keep it down after half an hour.
    Time 0:56 run 0:10 stretch
    Dist 12.52km

Saturday PM: LSR Z2
    I decided to leave the HRM at home and run by feel. It was a murky, humid day. I took the first half hour easy and avoided hills. After that I pushed the RPE into Z2. I had an old BBC1 radio Tiesto mix for company and at about the hour mark he introduced Gladiator. I love the track so pushed it to tempo pace for the duration of it which was aout 4 mins or so. This put a pep in my step fo rthe rest of the run. I encountered an increasing number of hills and my legs started to feel it. On the last hill home a runner ahead of me by about 100m looked behind him and suddenly kicked into tempo. I thought what the hell and gave chase. A 2 min hill tempo later I caught him and when sufficiently out of sight, immediately dropped my pace to arrive at my door breathing normally :D It was a tough LSR altogether. More of a LR than LSR, pace approx 4:30/km
    Time 2:00 run 0:15 stretch
    Dist 26.66km

Sunday AM: Long bike
    Christmas party the night before with lots of muck food and late night dancing had me feeling pretty rough eating my porridge. Thankfully it was a nice mild day with only a light wind. I met a group and did 2 hours with them. The pace was easy and the road good with just a few rollers. The pace lifted on the way back so I allowed myself a few mins out of base zone. I had intended 3.5 hours so I did the rest over a more hilly terrain myself. My legs felt heavy on hills but I seemed to escape the effect of a hangover. I tried to keep the cadence fresh when the wind picked up a little. I took on 1.5l of water, 6 fig rolls and a gel to get it done. Not a bad spin, mission accomplshed. Pace 30.2kmh, hr 130.

I did a short run off the bike at Z2, Initially my lower back felt very stiff but loosened out after a km or so. The tendonitis showed up too. I was happy to hit a cadence of 88 off the bike and although my pace was decent too at 4:30/km, I suffered on the usual hill home. It was a decent work out overall though. My legs felt tired afterwards and I nearly fell asleep in the shower!
    Time 3:48
    Dist 104.71km/4.45km

week 6 numbers
    6 - 12 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|14|16:01|261.38km
    Swimming|4|3:49|10.9
    Cycling|3|5:28|175.31
    Running|7|5:44|75.17
    Conditioning|--|1:00|Stretching

Push ups: 160, layed off these for the week

A heavy enough week. Hopefully the swimming is turning the corner. A T20 in prospect this week will determine that. My biggest running week ever I think. Puts in perspective what those Marathon guys do. The increased volume made some session stand out on the schedule which may need some addressing when the intensity creeps in. I'm not free next weekend so another long turbo looms. Week 6 down, 30 to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

That is some serious mileage for last week, and i assume still in base phase? What are you planning to hit in peak....30 hours:p

That is some serious mileage for last week, and i assume still in base phase? What are you planning to hit in peak....30 hours:p

...eh no! Banking hours now as I may have more limited opportunity in the IM phase. Its an extended 20 week base and I'll prob max out in the 18-20 hour range (unknown territory). The IM phase (build/peak) will be more about specific intensity and quality key sessions than general volume. 16 hours is about the biggest week I've ever done.

Monday PM: Easy swim, easy run.
    30 mins of each. Body and mind not interested in the slightest. Its going to be a long week. Christmas next week and its a recovery week :D
    Time 1:00
    Dist 1.6km/5.8km

Tuesday PM: Z2/3 Lunchtime run
    Took the new Asics GT2160s out for a run and immediately felt the response off them. They are heavier than the Mizunos but more stable. The Mizunos needed a rest anyway. My pace was sharp for Z2 but I could only muster a cadence of 86. I decided to hold at that and when my heart rate drifted into Z3 after 15 mins I just maintained a strong cruise. I also chose a longer route back to work so needed to stay in Z3 to get back in time. My justification to myself was that I was running close to half marathon pace and wanted to see how it would feel with a couple of more weeks now ahead of Waterford. Avg 4:16/km, hr 155. I’m pretty sure I could hold it for longer so sub90 is still a plausible target.
    Time 0:56
    Dist 13.09km

Tuesday PM: Swim set (LC)
    The plan
    16*200m at cruise pace
    Actual
    20*200m off 3:40 in on 3:24-3:28
    This was my frog today. I sat in the car for 10 mins listening to Matt Cooper grilling someone, took an age to get changed and then sat on the pool deck for 10 mins chatting with a couple of lads. I was just not in the mood for this session. However, once I got stuck in I felt reasonably good. There wasn’t much traffic in the lane so it was a relatively clean swim. I maintained 1:42-1:44 pace for all reps although the RPE for this on the last 3-4 reps was tougher. Overall my stroke held up better than last week and I was happy to eventually get it done!
    Time 1:13
    Dist 4,000m

Wednesday AM: Freestyle Fitness Yoga
    I just went through the motions. After the class I felt that I would have been better off staying in bed. If I had stayed in bed however, I’d have been cursing myself for not getting up! Sometimes there is no winning with oneself :rolleyes:

I really have to HTFU and get on with the training instead of faffing about...

Wednesday PM: Brick session
    Once again I dragged my heels getting this done. An hour on the bike 0:23 in Z1 and 0:37 in Z2. Output higher just to get it to Z2. 249 watts at a cadence of 94. HR 137. So, a bit tougher than last week. I changed into a dry top at headed out for a transition run. Conditions were wet and windy. 0:26 at 4:27 avg pace, hr 148. Kept it in Z2 slowing down to maintain RPE on and inclines. 0:15 stretch afterwards.
    Time 1:41
    Dist 35.9km/5.95km

Turbo again tonight followed by a swim T20. I really have to get on the bike straight away when I get home from work so I can relax for a bit before the swim. The way my swimming is going lately, I'd be surprised if I get within 50m of my last mark :(

Thursday PM #1: Turbo FTP session
    The plan
    4*7mins at 80% FTP
    Actual
    4*7mins 81-83% FTP 5 mins easy between reps
    This was a good session. I felt ok and spun smoothly. I got the turbo out and got the gear on immediately when I got in the door and had the session done by the time the main evening news finished :) As Krusty says me=1 job=0. I did the first 60secs at 500w to kick start myself and get the heart pumping. I settled then at 90spm and raised it to 95/96 for the reps. Average output 251 watts, hr 137, and cadence 94.
    Time 1:00
    Dist 36.1km

Thursday PM #2: Easy run
    I couldn’t call this a transition run as it was 20 mins after the bike. Just a short jog around the block but quads felt heavy and a bit tired. I tried to stay as relaxed as possible as I had a swim time trial yet to do this evening. The Mizunos felt so light and soft in comparison to the GT2160s. Pace 4:36/km, hr 141. This run got me the 3rd Gold mark of the SCR challenge too, yay!
    Time 0:27
    Dist 5.95km

Thursday PM #3: Swim T20
    I wasn’t looking forward to it as I felt tired. This wasn’t a significant TT so I trained as normal this week. I didn’t want to cruise it either but knew I’d fade and/or cramp up if I went for it. I decided to push hard for 1km then hang on. My swim buddy was there and although I beat him by 75m last time I was sure he was in better shape than I. He has been following total immersion and really working on his stoke. I’ve struggled lately with mine. In the end I posted the same 1,275m as last time and put 100m on my swim buddy so it wasn’t too bad considering. I suffered though. After 800 or so I was in hurtsville and was just so slow turning at the wall. I pushed on to 1,000m which I hit in a personal best of 15:42 :D, and then just hung on for dear life until the time was up. I had started to cramp up by the end. I really tried to focus on my catch and keeping a long stroke up until the end. My pace didn’t actually drop that much but I worked my socks off. I was quietly pleased, given how I felt and know there is more in the tank if I was fresh. The coach hopped in to the lane next to me and dusted off a cool 1500. His tumble turns alone were savage to watch under the water. I’ve decided to drop this session from the programme and won’t be returning to this group after the Christmas break. It’s just too late and the turbo beforehand is only going to get more intense. Plus I find it very difficult to drag myself out of bed for a run the next morning.
    Time 0:25
    Dist 1,500m

Friday AM: Easy run/skate
    By the time I got to work I was happy that I got out the door for a run. It was touch ‘n go though. I think I got into my gear while sleeping! I very nearly conked on the couch too lacing up my runners :o It was a cold morning with a biting breeze that woke me up. An easy run in Z1 but careful too as the frost glistened on the footpaths. There were a few ice patches too, one of which I didn’t spot and had a scare. My cadence was predictably sluggish too barely hitting 82-83. Pace 4:43/km, hr 140.

Diet: Why is it that I can be disciplined enough to get out the door for a run at 6am in the freezing cold but I cannot put the cookie jar down?! My diet recently has been terrible. Too many trips to the café for scones and sausage sandwiches, biscuits by the packet (family sized packs at that) and going for chocolate bars over fruit snacks. Ok, I eat good wholesome meals and freshly cooked too but it’s the constant grazing on crap that has to stop. After Christmas it’s time to knuckle down on the diet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Congrats on hitting the final "gold"...

Given that you were "only" aiming for Oly distance in 2010, we will have to put a handicap on you in 2011.

• Advertisement

For some reason this week I began to freak out about what I've signed up for and after this morning's session have a taste for what is in store...

Saturday AM: Long Z1/2 Turbo

Up at 4am after 4 hours sleep for a 4 hour turbo. I was so sleepy I couldn't get the porridge into me. This was my longest stint on the turbo by a long way and a benchmark. 2:40 in Z1 and 1:20 in Z2. I got through the Matrix and an hour of Matrix Reloaded before shotgun jumior got up. I had to get his juice and weetabix and then face the last 45 mins with kids tv. The next half hour was mental torture but then Caz handed me a gel with 20 mins to go and that saw me home. Bloody tough but heart rate remained comfortably in zone for the duration. The stats were ok too, avg output 239 watts, cadence 90. Overall it was steady enough. 2 lts of fluid taken on, a nutri grain and a gel also.

Transition run in the snow. I put warm dry gear on and was out the door in about 3 mins. I focused on getting my cadence to 88 but it fell back to 86 and hovered there. I was surprised to stay upright let alone cruise over the snow covered paths. The roads were lethal and early drivers taking no caution. 0:36 and an avg 4:30/km, hr 150. I won't be holding this pace for any marathon but it was freezing out and my bare thighs wanted to get back home sooner rather than later! The run wasn't bad until I hit the last hill before home and the fatigue hit me. 35 mins stretching, core and yoga sequences afterwards. Its the first time I really felt like I'm training for an Ironman and I'm no less scared of it afterwards. Very pleased with the session though :) As much as I'd love a nap its xmas shopping time...
    Time 5:11
    Dist 138km/8.01km

Advertisement