Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

For some reason this week I began to freak out about what I've signed up for and after this morning's session have a taste for what is in store...

Hi MCOS, I'm dipping in and out of your log but not following it too closely -- I think it would scare me compared with my own IM training at the moment! My long rides are just over 3hrs on a turbo this weather and its soul destroying, I still havent found any videos/music that can keep my motivation up for that long! Looks like your swimming is flying too; fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

For some reason this week I began to freak out about what I've signed up for and after this morning's session have a taste for what is in store...

You are seriously putting me off ever having a go at one. I cant imagine having to do the training you are doing already when its so far out, a 4 hour turbo in december at 4am :eek: Maybe it wouldnt sound so bad if it it was an 11am start

Well done on the 3 golds, you will have three platinums this time next year the way you are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

A 4 hour turbo at 4am is fairly nuts. Fair balls. Congrats on hitting the 3 golds.

I was delighted with my 2 hour turbo today until I read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

nomadic wrote: »
    A 4 hour turbo at 4am is fairly nuts. Fair balls. Congrats on hitting the 3 golds.

I was delighted with my 2 hour turbo today until I read this.

At least you got 2 hrs in.

MCOS 4 hrs on that yoke is total nuts. I wish I hadn't read that

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

4 hours on a turbo MCOS - Fair play. That just makes you want to pull the finger out! - Hope the training is going well. Just got to remember its there if you want it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 hours on the turbo fair play mcos even doing two hours seems long at the moment for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Far play Mike. I hope you'd a good pair of bib shorts on! I was 3 hrs on it Saturday and i was tender to say the least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cheers lads, yeah it was a good dose of HTFU on Saturday morning :)

Sunday PM: LSR Z1/2
    I decided against another silly o clock session and headed out in the evening instead after dropping junior shotgun off. I was lazy about getting out the door but had a stern talk with myself to keep it easy. That I did. I chose a route with rolling hills for an exercise in discipline. I felt good and kept it very comfortable. Conditions were cold and dry with some icy patches but lovely and crisp too. As expected I did feel it in the quads towards the end but enjoyed it after the lazy approach. Hr 144, pace 4:45/km.
    Time 1:46
    Dist 22.34km

I hopped on the turbo afterward for a super easy half hour at 100rpm. HR for this was 117, a bit high for a recovery turbo but then I’d just done a LSR so that explained that. Output 156 watts, just spinning the legs. Stretched and did a few push ups afterwards. Calves were a bit tight and my quads will be happy that it’s a recovery week coming up!
    Time 0:45
    Dist 12.3km

week 7 numbers
    13 - 19 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|16:24|303.34km
    Swimming|3|2:08|7.1
    Cycling|4|6:30|222.3
    Running|7|5:41|73.94
    Conditioning|1|1:45|Yoga/Core/Stretching

Push ups: 160, taking it easy with these

My biggest week yet and a good one too. Its Christmas week and my recovery week falls on it so happy days :D I learned from the last recovery week that I didn't take it easy enough and was not fresh for the next block, it was partly to do with heading out rowing but more to do with not dropping the RPE for sessions right down. Overall I was happy with a few things. Obviously the 1,000m pb in the pool and the long turbo but its the running I'm really pleased about. The increased volume, frequency and consistency of the LSRs is definitely showing an improvement in base fitness. This week the focus is on taking it easy and dropping the volume. I'm hoping to get out for the Limerick 10 mile on St Stephen's day and will go for sub 65. I have zero tempo work done so it should be a shock to the system! I'll no doubt be dragging a few extra kgs around too. I'm not bothered if I don't get it. Week 7 down, 29 to go :pac:

Monday am: Group swim session (LC)
    For once I did a session I wasn’t supposed to do! I’ve only missed 3 training sessions in 7 weeks and they have all been swims. This morning was supposed to be a lie in but I forgot, got up and headed down to the pool wondering why I felt so tired.
    The session was simple enough
    16*50 kicking and single arm drills
    16*50 counting strokes off 60secs, in on 33-35 strokes which was more like it
    14*100 off 1:45, in on 1:30 and fading to 1:32-1:34 for the last few.
    Time 1:00
    Dist 3,000m
    Although I was tired, this was a solid session. My stroke felt longer and stronger. I’ll make up for being a muppet and swap another swim session for sleep this week :rolleyes:

Monday pm: Recovery run
    It was about -4 but felt colder with the thick freezing fog. I jogged out and back past a house Caz and I have our eye on. The garmin spiked for the first 15 mins which was annoying. I ran really easy but it meant that I never warmed up. By the time I got home I was frozen despite the layer and gloves etc... I was also out of breath! Pace 5:07 and hr 132 so there was no work involved, however the cold air got into the lungs and just took the breath out of me. It was a recovery run but I arrived at the door panting like I had done a tempo session... strange :confused:
    Time 0:30
    Dist 5.85km

Tuesday am: Freezing Z2 run test
    Colder this morning at about -8 or so but the fog had lifted. It took me about 10 mins just to get my heart rate into zone 2. There was a fresh thin layer of snow on the ground which was dry and powdery. I was on a slightly tougher route than the one I planned to test on but the planned route was out in the country side and I didn’t trust the drivers in the dark on icy roads, or myself for that matter. Nonetheless the aim was to time kms 3-6 at the upper end of zone 2 (154bpm).

Last test result 4km in 17:17, avg heart rate 156, pace 4:19
    This test result 4km in 17:13, avg heart rate 150, pace 4:18

Progress! The conditions were also a lot colder and I’d imagine if I could have pushed the heart rate closer to the Z2 ceiling it would have been better. Still, it’s an indication that the consistency, frequency, and increased base mileage are having a positive effect :D

It really resembled a winter wonderland this morning. As I jogged down one hill there were tiny crystals in the air in front of me, like sugar falling from the white sky. Driving into to work the fog had descended again and visibility was very poor. I smiled to myself for getting out and enjoying a run in it :)
    Time 0:40
    Dist 9.02km

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Good to see the training hours resulting in some progress MCOS. You must be up at an early hour for the runs or else you start work a bit later than most people :)

Think some of us are getting used to the freezing conditions -14 with me this morning

Happy xmas and enjoy the taper week coming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Its the first time I really felt like I'm training for an Ironman and I'm no less scared of it afterwards.

Well, you are certainly scaring the bejaysus out of anyone else thinking of signing up for an IM:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

you're an animal ! up at 4am in the depths of winter for a 4 hour turbo session , IM folk are surely up against it with you shotgunmcos , respect !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seres wrote: »
    you're an animal ! up at 4am in the depths of winter for a 4 hour turbo session , IM folk are surely up against it with you shotgunmcos , respect !

Whats the expression???? Beware the...... Beware the.......

Oh yeah - Beware the Winter Warrior :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Jesus dude you'd really want to get the finger out, you've only 29 weeks to go and you've nothing done!

:) Man, you are a bit of an animal aren't ya? Reading your log has me bitting at the bit to get going! Just doing 10hrs or so per week, tipping along right now till Mon Jan 10th and D Day. Inspiring stuff shotgun, keep it up and keep it smart watch those winterly conditions.

But seriously.......time to get the finger out!

Thanks for the comments folks :)@tunney don't get the winter warrior bit? Is that sarcasm?

As for getting the finger out: This year the main goal was Budapest and while the swim and bike went to plan over there, the run and nutrition in general leading up to and during the race let me down. I trained well enough in an up and down year. Took on a Coach for a while last winter but it wasn't working out so went solo. Worked a lot on the swimming and it has come a long way. The bike was always my best bit so no major focus on that other than some quality sessions. I missed 95% of weekend rides with the guys so base lacked. Hence why now I'm tipping away at swimming as normal with one longer set focused session per week. The bike focus is about base and I'll do a bit of FTP work in block 4. The main focus is on running. Currently on a good consistent streak, stretching lots and the tendonitis is relaxing. Its progressing slowly but progress is progress eh. The part where I'm letting myself down right now and that is essential for the IM is nutrition. I've been gorging on biscuits the last 2 weeks, up to 20 a day :o. I'm getting sick of them though and the chocolate and the easy options. I'll get through Christmas and then the consistency of recent training will be matched by the discipline in diet and getting myself to bed earlier for more sleep. The 4 am session was necessary as I prioritise family life above all and taking 4 hours out of my time with my son is not on for me. I just need to sleep more. In Budapest I did 95% the right stuff in training for the day but that will not be good enough for 2011 goals (which I will be more specific about soon). For the IM you just have to become what Caz has termed a 'geek' about it. I'm logging stats on my programme and session comments religiously. It just helps maintain the focus. Right thats enough waffling...

Training this evening: Long swim (LC)

4k straight at a strong cruise. Steady state as the term went in rowing days. Clocked 67:59 for it and felt good after it which I'm very pleased about. Its also a pb by a few minutes. My stroke is definitely feeling better. Average pace was 1:42/100m and remained consistent throughout. At 3-3.5km I had to dig in a bit and although I doubt I could have lifted the pace much I held it comfortably enough. One of the club lads got in at the start and gave me some feet to follow for 15mins or so of it which helped me to focus on long strong strokes. I finished at 39/40 strokes per length which is not awful but would much rather hold onto 36ish for it. Something to work on. I couldn't have dreamed of a session like this 2 years ago so very happy about it indeed :D
    Time 1:08
    Dist 4,000m

That's some great swimming, jealous right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fair play MCOS. You've got your priorities right and you're still getting through the training. Happy days, even if you are turning in to a geek! :D

Steady state, now that brings back memories......:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks for the comments folks :)@tunney don't get the winter warrior bit? Is that sarcasm?

You never heard the winter warrior phrase? seriously?

tunney wrote: »
    You never heard the winter warrior phrase? seriously?
    Nope, I'm assuming its something to do with solid winter work to come out fighting in the spring? Or am I missing something?

Wendesday pm: Easy bike/run
    Turbo Z1 spinning at 100spm. Output 223w, hr 126. Easy spin watching Armageddon. It feels strange alright going from warm toasty house and sweating to a run in freezing fog! Short Z1 jog off the bike, pace 4:40/km, hr 141. Easy workout.
    Dist 21.7km/4.29km

Thursday pm: Brick, bike Z2 test, Z2/3 run

Calibrated the turbo and pumped the wheel to the same levels as the last test. Basically time 5-15km on the turbo pushing it to the top of Z2 but not over 150hr. The result of that was a very significant improvement and a good sign that my base fitness is improving. Happy days. I kept a fresh cadence for the rest of it too. 10 hours sleep the last 2 nights made a difference in energy levels! Overall 0:50 Z2 avg 275w, hr 138, cadence 98

Quick change into dry long sleeves, which was harder to put on a sweaty body. I didn't bother with hat and gloves to keep the transition sharp. Out the door in under 2 mins for 20 mins Z2/3. I tried to push the cadence to 90 but can still only manage 86-88. Something to focus on next block. It was a stunning winter afternoon. Crisp air, powdery snow underfoot and the sun shining in a clear sky. Pace 4:15, hr 158. 10 mins stretch afterwards. Good session. Finished up feeling great :)
    Time 1:20
    Dist 33km/4.74km

Christmas Eve: Run before Midnight Mass
    -9 outside or maybe lower. 4 layers on for a session under the glistening stars at about 10:30pm. Felt ok and just ran easy. An ok run, just glad to get something done. I had a turbo planned for earlier but no time to get it done.
    Time 0:47
    Dist 10km

Christmas Day: Makin room for the bird
    No water so had to head across town for a shower. Figured I may as well run there. It was a spectacular winter day. Bright sunshine and frost and snow falling from the trees with the mildest of thaws setting in. The paths were softer and there was a lot less traction than recent days. I also felt terrible for some reason. Perhaps a poor sleep with a chesty cough was the cause but the RPE was higher than intended for the 'comfortable run'. I wore the same 4 layers as last night too which was overkill as it was perhaps on the right side of zero degrees for the first time in a week. I sweated like a good thing. Quite laboured but sufficed to make room for the feast.
    Time 0:51
    Dist 11.33km

The Stephen's Day Limerick County 10 mile championships is on in the morning but I aint feeling too great so very doubtful I'll participate. I'll sleep on it.

Happy Christmas to all the ARTists and especially those out pounding the roads this morning, heres to the New Year of first time experiences and personal bests :D

• Advertisement

Sunday pm: LSR Z2
    Well I didn’t make it out to the Limerick 10 miler. Slept through the alarm. Out for a mid afternoon brisk LSR in the wind and rain for a change. It was a good run overall with plenty in the tank due to lots of sleep and an overspill of glycogen, the latter requiring a duck into a pub halfway through the run. I was tempted to push it, feeling a little guilty for missing the race but reined it back. I decided I’d save it for the Waterford Half. Pace 4:23 suggests I should be capable of a sub90. The garmin showed me a hr of 220 or so for the first 10 mins then settled to an average 152. Good run for base zones.
    Time 1:24 run
    Dist 19.08km

week 8 numbers
    20 - 26 Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|9:24|128.11km
    Swimming|3|2:48|9.1
    Cycling|2|1:30|54.7
    Running|7|4:52|64.31
    Conditioning|--|0:35|Stretching

Push ups: 213. best effort of 3*51 with 2 mins rest

My hours were less than expeted but it was a very busy week. I hit most sessions but missed the long bike. Ah well, it was a recovery week and I'm feeling ready for the next block. Base tests all showed improvement and a good benchmark hit, once again, in the pool. Diet is absolutely shocking and I'll be knocking it on the head soon eneough. Weigh in due Jan 1.
    Week 8 down, 28 to go :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nope, I'm assuming its something to do with solid winter work to come out fighting in the spring? Or am I missing something?

Never heard of a winter warrior but have heard the term winter star, presume its the same thing. Winter star... shines brightly in the winter, is burnt out by the time the season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yeah, was in Tipp today so didnt do the 10miler, went out for 75min in the evening and it was effortless with all the celebrations and stuffing from yesterday fueling me :pac: (well apart from the wind at times and some grassy hills!)

Im hoping for around 1:28 in Waterford half so looking to see how many people i can sling onto on the day :D

You're bagging some training there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Impressive Christmas Eve run! Did you get some funny looks??

Got me thinking what's the latest I've ever been out for a run myself...

mloc123 wrote: »
    Never heard of a winter warrior but have heard the term winter star, presume its the same thing. Winter star... shines brightly in the winter, is burnt out by the time the season starts.
    winter star vs winter warrior? meh ... when I started my first log in 2008 tunney popped along to bet that I'd get injured and burn out on my rookie season... didn't happen :)
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Im hoping for around 1:28 in Waterford half so looking to see how many people i can sling onto on the day :D
    Sounds good, I really don't know how I'll fare as I've only been running at hr150 or less. Race pace may be a shock to the system. My half pb is 1:53 though so that should go down barring some disaster!
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    Impressive Christmas Eve run! Did you get some funny looks??
    I sure did, along with some festive spirited comments :D

Monday pm: Turbo and short run
    The plan
    5*6 min reps at 90% FTP
    Actual
    5*6 min reps at 90% FTP, 4 min rest between reps
    I decided to raise the FTP reps to 90% of my current FTP since I was sustaining 78% on Z2 efforts and 80% didn’t feel like much extra. I will do a T20 at the end of block 3 (this block) to find out what shape my FTP is in. It was a decent session and putting out 281-285w on the reps was solid enough. I was surprised that my heart rate remained below Z3 for them all despite cardiac drift. Overall hr avg 137, 263w and 96rpm
    Dist 38km

It has been quite a shift from -10 to +10 outside in the space of 2 days hasn't it! I didn’t bother with leggings but reducing the 4 layers I had been wearing the past 2 weeks to 2 layers, was still too many. I really heated up. My main aim on this short run was to hit a cadence of 90. I did that and sustained 88-90 for the run. I had to push to hit that though and struggled to keep the heart rate down, especially on hills. Pace 4:13, hr 151
    Time 0:18
    Dist 4.35km

Tuesday pm: Swim Set (LC)
    The plan
    10*400m
    Actual
    10*400m off 7:30 in on 6:25/6:31/6:43/6:47/6:43/6:38/6:38/6:36/6:38/6:41
    This was tough, really tough. It didn’t help that the Swim Ireland Team took over the whole pool and left just one lane for the mob. It was madness. Initially I popped into a lane with 3 of the HPC team (they were not supposed to have the public fast lane) who were ploughing past me doing butterfly. I got too excited and was swimming too fast to stay out of trouble so hopped into the other madness after 2 reps. I knew I would pay for the pace of the first 2 reps later. The public lane consisted of 4-5 breast strokers taking 30-40m to overtake each other, a very pale older guy floating in the middle of the lane like a jelly fish, a guy in baggy shorts swimming against the flow, kids diving under the ropes, balls landing in the lane and an Asian lad walking up and down the shallow part :rolleyes: I got through 3 more reps of this lunacy and figured it was decent OW practice! I wanted to quit then, I was tired and frustrated. Instead I knuckled down and swam the 6th rep like I meant business. Some of the eejits got the point and got out of the lane and into main pool leaving just the breast stokers. Passing the traffic was the motivation to keep going. A lad from the club jumped on my feet for the last 3 reps so as much as it was hurting I was not letting go. Session done but some of those reps felt a few meters long! I did some breast stroke to cool down and all of a sudden I was the one holding up traffic :o Pleased just to get through it.
    Time 1:20
    Dist 4,200m

Tuesday pm: Z2 Run
    I had DOMs in my gluts, quads, neck and shoulders. All stemmed from St Stephens day when I spent 45mins squatting over shotgun junior’s scalectrix set putting it together! I was also tired after the epic swim earlier in the day. Reluctantly I got kitted out and headed out the door. I picked a simple 30 mins out and back route. No nonsense, stick to Z2 and work on cadence. I immediately regretted the half dozen roses I consumed while waiting for the garmin to find a signal. In terms of cadence I managed to maintain 88-90 but it doesn’t feel natural. I have to push it to hit that and at the same time try to keep my heart rate down. I ran past a few dodgy parts where gangs seemed to be out in force. The usual comments were fired and I ignored as usual but when a lighter whizzed past my head on my return I lost it. I picked it up and turned to face the 15 or so young teens and chased them for a few seconds hopping the lighter off one of their backs. I turned to continue on to the roars, jeers and claims behind me. Punks! It was a laboured enough run and once again I over heated under the layers on a balmy evening. Run pace 4:32, hr 153. I did some much needed stretching afterwards. Although I'm working my way through the last roses tin, I haven't touched a biscuit in 2 days... the weening process begins :D
    Time 1:15
    Dist 13.23km

At least you got some strides into your Tuesday run chasing down the little feckers:)

At least you got some strides into your Tuesday run chasing down the little feckers:)
    LOL :D

Wednesday pm: lunchtime swim (LC)
    The pool wasn't open until 10am so I needed an extended lunchbreak to get across town for a lunchtime dip. Not a future option as it took way too long to get to and from. Planned an easy 40 mins but as interested pointed out to me a while back, long sets can have the mind wondering. Mine wondered off somewhere around about 1.5km so I ended up doing 44 mins straight. No harm it was comfortable aerobic swimming at about 1:46/100m pace. My memory of bursting a gut to hit that pace for 200m is still fresh so I was pleased with it :) Now if only my running would progress like that... For the 'focused' part I maintained longish strokes, about 36 per length or so. After that I was in la la land watching the antics of the lanes on either side of me. A quiet pool today thankfully.
    I recently finished the book The man who swam the Amazon, while not the most eloquent or beautifully written account of an adventure, it is fascinating how someone could swim for 12 hours a day, even with a strong current behind him, for 66 days :eek: My mind wondered off after less than half an hour in the pool today!
    Time 0:44
    Dist 2,500m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I hate this time of year in the pool, we have at least a month of muppetry to come :(

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    I hate this time of year in the pool, we have at least a month of muppetry to come :(
    Ah now as soon as the pools open at 7am or whatever it is in your neck of the woods that will be sorted. They don't appear that early in the morning :D

Wednesday pm: Brick session
    1:00 Z1/Z2 turbo, 0:33 Z2 run and 0:10 stretch. It was a pretty steady session overall. The bike was 0:52 Z1 and 0:08 Z2 with a fresh cadence of 94, output 250w and hr 127. It seems to take me longer and longer to warm up these days as my quads feel like lead for 5-10 minutes. I’m starting to push to 400-500w for 30secs or so just to kick start myself. A quick change and I was out the door with just the one layer on. I was doubtful at first but it was very balmy, wet roads but no wind. I was happy to maintain a cadence of 88 and controlled the hr a bit better on hills, taking shorter steps and allowing the pace drop. Average pace 4:27/km, hr 149.
    Time 1:43
    Dist 36.2km/7.53km

First weigh in this weekend it will be interesting to see what damage the Christmas did :o

Advertisement