Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cert???

Options
  • 07-10-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've started a thread here about my dad trying to get into IT.

Long story short, leaving the Gardaí after 30 years this year, only 50, has a degree in IT, and would like to keep working. He nearly has his A+ and I was just wondering, if he was to go into basic desktop administration, what certs would you recommend he follow up with so he can get a job?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Probably the N+ and then a MCSA which the A+ and N+ can be put towards. Finding a job where they will take on a 50 year old as a desktop administrator may be a little hard though, unless of course he knows someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I know, his age is undoubtably going to go against him, I'm just hoping his experience with computers, a couple of certs and the fact he's not looking for much money will help :)

Thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi RedXIV,

Just a thought, I've seen your other post also regarding your Dad.

Just a piece of quick advice, advise your Dad not to put his date of birth on his CV. I've had to look at quite a few CVs over the last few months and I noticed none of them put their date of birth on CVs. At least it will prevent some narrow-minded person thinking wrongly, this guy is too old for the job.

Boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks for the honest advice :) I do really appreciate it!

Advertisement