Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romario Vs Ronaldo (Nazario da Lima)

• 07-10-2010 11:40am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Might as well get this one out of the way. The battle of the two best forwards Brazil has produced in the modern era. They followed similar paths, entering Europe via PSV before moving on to Barcelona. Many would say it was all downhill from there for both players although while Ronaldo has had perennial injury problems Romario never lost his scoring touch.

While they were never all that similar they are comparable in terms of achievements, scoring prowess and the star factor.

I find it hard enough to pick one, and would possible have both in a modern XI. For the sake of not sitting on the fence I'm going to go with Romario, for his consistency and longevity.

Who was the better Brazilian? 17 votes

Romario
    0%
    Ronaldo
    100%
    Pepe LeFritspickarooneyinforfungimmickKingp35applehunterMr.Nice GuyTonyD79mr.noobiejdivision[Deleted User]SK1979Nozebleedeverdead.ieSteelyDanJalapenonullzeroMoist Bread 17 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I'd go with Ronaldo. The most powerful, pacey, destructive and clinical striker ever seen when on top form, season at Barcelona, first season at Inter, season at which he scored hat trick against United and World Cup 2002. But for injuries and lifestyle I think we could be mentioning him in the same breath as Pele and Maradona. He was that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ronaldo
    Romario for longevity (too much longevity some might say). Ronaldo let the partying take over too much and left alot of what he could have achieved behind, which is an odd thing to say considering what he was won in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think I've ever seen a striker who can match Ronaldo, and to be honest, I doubt I ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wish I had paid more attention to soccer when Ronaldo was playing for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ronaldo. When he was on his game he was unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Romario was the master of the penalty area but Ronaldo could pick up the ball from anywhere and do it all by himself and make it look easy.

Despite injuries and lifestyle, Ronaldo played at the highest level for longer and despite his fitness problems broke the all time World Cup goal scoring record. Its scary to think what he could have achieved without several serious knee injuries (all career crippling for most other players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ronaldo
    Saw them both while they played in Holland at PSV.
    Both great goalscores but Romario just edged it for me.
    Can not really say why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ronaldo
    Romario how many players score 1,000 goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I'd have to pick Ronaldo - he was the most complete striker I have ever seen. He had it all, pace, power, accuracy. Its a shame the second half of his career was blighted by injury but he was some player. Look at his stats.

Apps (Goals)

1993 Cruzeiro 14 (12)
    1994–1996 PSV 46 (42)
    1996–1997 Barcelona 37 (34)
    1997–2002 Inter Milan 68 (49)
    2002–2007 Real Madrid 127 (83)
    2007–2008 AC Milan 20 (9)
    2009– Corinthians 23 (14)
    National team
    1994–2006 Brazil 97 (62)

Romario was also exceptional. I'll never forget that 2-2 draw against Milan when he played for PSV. He was lethal. He scored 98 goals in 109 apps for PSV and 34 in 46 apps for Barca plus 55 in 70 apps for Brazil. I am shocked to learn he only played 46 games for Barca during the period 1993-1995. It seemed like he played a lot more.

2 brilliant players but have to go with Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus Christ, Ronaldo and it's not even close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

keane2097 wrote: »

It is a very close decision.. people forget how good a player Romario was even if Ronaldo was quality in his pomp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ronaldo
    Romario was the better goalscorer from me. So many of his goals were just 1/2 touches bang.

Not much between tham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People talk about Ronaldo as one of the best ever but Romario was that too. Romario was the undoubted no.1 player in the world for a couple of years but his attitude meant he didn't get the recognition with awards that he deserved.

Its very, very close between them and I'm finding it extremely difficult to call. Romario was so much more tricky and so much more exciting to watch. Ronaldo had that roll and maybe was a marginally better finisher(would love stats on that though).

I know Ronaldo is going to win this poll but thats due to the average age here and them not having seen the great Romario in his prime.

Romario how many players score 1,000 goals?

How highly do you rate the Brazilian League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Excellent thread was gonna do the same but after the whingy man utd fans in the Stoichkov thread i wont pick man utd players anymore. (was dying to see how the Cantona vs Zidane one went tho :( )

Ronaldo shades this one due to sheer power, altho as a frontline pairing they are perfect for each other. Romarios dinkyness in the box with Ronaldos power. Scary thought they actually played together.

Altho i like both have to go with Ronaldo.

Ronaldo
    keane2097 wrote: »

ROFL. Are you joking? Get the boat! Such ignorance should see people banned in here for not knowing what they're talking about!

It's VERY close. Ronaldos fitness issues distracted from how unbelievable he was. He was a nightmare, amazing finisher, explosive and lightening quick.

Romario would finish anything that came his way. He also was a far trickier play, not relying on pace, which is why Romario continued to score loads of goals into his later years whereas Ronaldo has had some horrendous stints (2 goals in his whole time at AC Milan) Amazing player.

I would go with Romario, by a gee hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Ronaldo by some distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ronaldo
    Romario was the better goalscorer from me. So many of his goals were just 1/2 touches bang.

Not much between tham.

Romario with the ball at his foot in the box... you never knew what was going to happen just that the outcome was more than likely a goal.
    When it looked that he was going to take another step, he shot on goal. when it looked when he was goign to shoot, extra step and the keeper was gone.

I dont think i have ever seen a striker that keepers jso often ust didnt react on because they hadnt a clue what was going to happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have to say Ronaldo myself. Mainly because I havent seen Romario ever play. Will give youtube a lash tho if its even comparable to Ronaldo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ronaldo
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Excellent thread was gonna do the same but after the whingy man utd fans in the Stoichkov thread i wont pick man utd players anymore. (was dying to see how the Cantona vs Zidane one went tho :( )

I imagine that one would be very one-sided. Platini vs Zidane should be a good contest but very few, myself included, will have seen Platini more than a handful of times. Batistuta Vs Shearer would be another one I'd like to see.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Ronaldo by some distance.

Care to quantify this in any kind of way?
    inforfun wrote: »
    Romario with the ball at his foot in the box... you never knew what was going to happen just that the outcome was more than likely a goal.
    When it looked that he was going to take another step, he shot on goal. when it looked when he was goign to shoot, extra step and the keeper was gone.

I dont think i have ever seen a striker that keepers jso often ust didnt react on because they hadnt a clue what was going to happen.

Exactly, it was stunning to watch him at his best. I remember him at WC 94 literally destroying defences.

RE: Cantona vs Zidane. Cantano is a legend but Zidane is the only untouchable since Maradona. No contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

it pained me to have to click ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ronaldo, very close, but I've never seen anybody as good as Ronaldo at finishing. What a class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ronaldo.

Greatest footballer of all time imo.

Got 25 mins to spare? Watch this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ronaldo.

I'd have to agree. Nobody came close to him in his prime. Pity he suffered with injuries and weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ronaldo shades this one due to sheer power, altho as a frontline pairing they are perfect for each other. Romarios dinkyness in the box with Ronaldos power. Scary thought they actually played together.

Cantona v Zidane is not a contest. And I'm a United fan. Zidane is on another planet. Cantona was good in a poor league. Zidane was better than every other player in the world except Ronaldo.

Ronaldo wins this for me as I think he is alongside Zidane as the best player since Maradona. Romario was good, but Ronaldo was great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ronaldo
    Zidane was patchy for long periods in Italy, but that's a debate for another thread.
    I reckon these threads should be closed once 100 votes are reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Care to quantify this in any kind of way?

More titles in stronger leagues than Romario. More personal honours. Top WC scorer of all time. At his absolute best he did things nobody could do until Messi came along. Could score any goal in the book. Powerful runner, fantastic in the box. Remained one of the best 3 players in the world for much of his career despite never regaining anything near the fitness he had at PSV or Barcelona. A fully fit and focussed Ronaldo could've been the best player ever. I truly believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ronaldo is the best striker I've ever seen so it has to be him.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    More titles in stronger leagues than Romario. More personal honours. Top WC scorer of all time. At his absolute best he did things nobody could do until Messi came along. Could score any goal in the book. Powerful runner, fantastic in the box. Remained one of the best 3 players in the world for much of his career despite never regaining anything near the fitness he had at PSV or Barcelona. A fully fit and focussed Ronaldo would've been the best player ever. I truly believe that.

Fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Romario was a once every few years type player.

Ronaldo was once every few generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo
    Seaneh wrote:
    Romario was a once every few years type player.

I'm sure Dunga would disagree with that vehemently.

Romario for me. He was a phenom and didn't fade away dramatically unlike Ronaldo, who for me lacked the mental strength to put him in a higher bracket. Romario hasn't got the 'profile' that Ronaldo has which I can only hope is the reason he is being so unfairly, and I would say inaccurately, spoken of in this thread.

I loved watching Romario in the '94 World Cup and would pick him all day long over Ronaldo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

gimmick wrote: »
    Romario for longevity (too much longevity some might say). Ronaldo let the partying take over too much and left alot of what he could have achieved behind, which is an odd thing to say considering what he was won in his career.

Yeah but Romario's longevity is a bit overrated. He was out of the European spotlight by the time he was 28. Romario was big into the partying himself.

It's not like he did a Maldini or Costacurta & played at a top European club till he was 40. He played for weaker & less physically demanding teams once he hit around 32/33. I'm sure if he wanted to Ronaldo could also play until he was 40 with someone from the MLS or a team from the Middle East.

Although saying that Romario was class during the 90's. Second best striker I've ever seen play after Ronaldo of course.

I'd rate Romario just a little bit behind Ronaldo but ahead of the likes of Baggio,Batistuta,Del Pierro etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'd go with Ronaldo. The most powerful, pacey, destructive and clinical striker ever seen when on top form, season at Barcelona, first season at Inter, season at which he scored hat trick against United and World Cup 2002. But for injuries and lifestyle I think we could be mentioning him in the same breath as Pele and Maradona. He was that good.

totally agree with you here Bamboozling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not much would get wise ol' Bobby Robson off his feet..

A goal I would never ever tire of watching.

• Advertisement

(2 goals in his whole time at AC Milan)

Eh, what?

9 goals in 20 games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ronaldo has had some horrendous stints (2 goals in his whole time at AC Milan)

Try 9 goals in 20 games. I was actually hoping he'd get a contract renewal as when he did play he was fantastic.

Archi beat me to it.

ROFL. Are you joking? Get the boat! Such ignorance should see people banned in here for not knowing what they're talking about!

It's VERY close. Ronaldos fitness issues distracted from how unbelievable he was. He was a nightmare, amazing finisher, explosive and lightening quick.

Romario would finish anything that came his way. He also was a far trickier play, not relying on pace, which is why Romario continued to score loads of goals into his later years whereas Ronaldo has had some horrendous stints (2 goals in his whole time at AC Milan) Amazing player.

I would go with Romario, by a gee hair.

:rolleyes:

Ronaldo.

Got 25 mins to spare? Watch this.
    Maradona and its not even close.

tdv123 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Do you know the alphabet?

• Advertisement

I'm sure Dunga would disagree with that vehemently.

Romario for me. He was a phenom and didn't fade away dramatically unlike Ronaldo, who for me lacked the mental strength to put him in a higher bracket. Romario hasn't got the 'profile' that Ronaldo has which I can only hope is the reason he is being so unfairly, and I would say inaccurately, spoken of in this thread.

I loved watching Romario in the '94 World Cup and would pick him all day long over Ronaldo.

Ronaldo didnt fade away dramatically, he's scoring for fun down in Brazil where Romario spent the majority of his career getting his 1000 goals.

Also, Ronaldo WC02 > Romario WC94

Not bashing Romario btw, just I think you are putting down Ronaldo abit because he's now back in Brazil

Romario for me. He was a phenom and didn't fade away dramatically unlike Ronaldo, who for me lacked the mental strength to put him in a higher bracket.

Yeah you're right, I mean, it's not as if Ronaldo came back from a career threatening injury that kept him out for 2 years to grab 7 goals in his last 10 games before a World Cup where he finished top scorer and was player of the tournament. It's also not as if defied critics who said he should retire after another career threatening injury at Milan to come back to Brazil and score 31 goals in 57 games for Corinthians, and be so impressive that many of these same critics were then pushing for him to be called up to the WC squad just passed.

Of all the things to accuse Ronaldo of, lacking mental strength is the most ignorant bollox I've ever heard.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you know the alphabet?

I know of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It wasn't only utd fans complaining in your thread, you put up a pretty shít choice tbh.

This one is better tbh.

Has to be Ronaldo for me, just pips Romario.

Ronaldo
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Ronaldo didnt fade away dramatically, he's scoring for fun down in Brazil where Romario spent the majority of his career getting his 1000 goals.

Also, Ronaldo WC02 > Romario WC94

Not bashing Romario btw, just I think you are putting down Ronaldo abit because he's now back in Brazil

Come on, he became a figure of fun due to all the weight he gained. 'Fat Ronaldo' as Bill called him on RTE the other week to distinguish him from Cristiano. I don't know what his personal issues are but they took away from his talent to some degree. Most on this thread have acknowledged this somewhat with comments like 'If he had been fit', 'if he was 100%' etc.

If we're being picky, and I think you have to be dealing with two legendary strikers like these guys, then I think that needs to be taken into account. Also for me Romario in 94 stands up with any World Cup striker.
    Archimedes wrote:
    Yeah you're right, I mean, it's not as if Ronaldo came back from a career threatening injury that kept him out for 2 years to grab 7 goals in his last 10 games before a World Cup where he finished top scorer and was player of the tournament. It's also not as if defied critics who said he should retire after another career threatening injury at Milan to come back to Brazil and score 31 goals in 57 games for Corinthians, and be so impressive that many of these same critics were then pushing for him to be called up to the WC squad just passed.

Of all the things to accuse Ronaldo of, lacking mental strength is the most ignorant bollox I've ever heard.

No, bollocks would be to suggest he's the greatest player of all time. He was so mentally tough that he allowed himself to become a laughing stock and balloon out in weight. But why take that into account when we can just throw stats at each other eh? I'm not saying he wasn't a formidable striker. I respect the fact he came back from bad injuries. I can also see he has flaws in his character as evidenced in recent years.

No, bollocks would be to suggest he's the greatest player of all time. He was so mentally tough that he allowed himself to become a laughing stock and balloon out in weight. But why take that into account when we can just throw stats at each other eh? I'm not saying he wasn't a formidable striker. I respect the fact he came back from bad injuries. I can also see he has flaws in his character as evidenced in recent years.

Really, so you actually think the plebs who spout the Fat Ronaldo bullshít are worth listening to? And I would have thought for a striker who's main job is to score goals, stats are pretty damn important. As Sir Bobby Robson said...

I was lucky enough to play for England with Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton until I was left out for some bloke called Bobby Moore. And what a privilege it was to be the manager of such great players as Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne, Romario, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer. I had Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Figo in my teams as teenagers, pitted my wits against Cloughie and Fergie, and was cheated by Diego Maradona. The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil’s Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

tdv123 wrote: »
    Yeah but Romario's longevity is a bit overrated.
    I agree. The '1000 goals' thing is seriously flawed as well - that counts junior matches, friendlies and all sorts.

Not voting as I never saw enough of Romario at club level to know for sure but I'd go Ronaldo if I had to.

Ronaldo
    Really, so you actually think the plebs who spout the Fat Ronaldo bullshít are worth listening to? And I would have thought for a striker who's main job is to score goals, stats are pretty damn important. As Sir Bobby Robson said...

I was lucky enough to play for England with Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton until I was left out for some bloke called Bobby Moore. And what a privilege it was to be the manager of such great players as Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne, Romario, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer. I had Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Figo in my teams as teenagers, pitted my wits against Cloughie and Fergie, and was cheated by Diego Maradona. The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil’s Ronaldo.

Romario's stats are right up there with Ronaldo. And no I wouldn't refer to him as fat to trash him but it does shows that he harmed his reputation in later years after his peak.

As for the Bobby Robson quote, that's a valid view to have. I wouldn't suggest otherwise. I just prefer Romario and other notable figures agree:
    Former Argentina international player Diego Maradona, in his autobiography Yo soy El Diego, described Romário as an "incredible finisher" adding that he had not seen a striker like him, and mentioning that Romário would be in his all-time "dream team" without any hesitation.

Come on, he became a figure of fun due to all the weight he gained. 'Fat Ronaldo' as Bill called him on RTE the other week to distinguish him from Cristiano. I don't know what his personal issues are but they took away from his talent to some degree. Most on this thread have acknowledged this somewhat with comments like 'If he had been fit', 'if he was 100%' etc.

If we're being picky, and I think you have to be dealing with two legendary strikers like these guys, then I think that needs to be taken into account. Also for me Romario in 94 stands up with any World Cup striker.

If we are being picky:

Fat or not, he is one of the most decorated players to ever kick a ball,more than Romario (far more individually). And whilst everyone was commenting on his weight, he was breaking the all time goal scoring record at the world cup. His weight isnt stopping him scoring goodo in Brazil.

He had 2 near career ending knee injuries and many fans, pundits, pros recognise that most wouldnt have comeback, physically or mentally to a high level, never mind going to Real Madrid for €39m and scoring 80+ goals and despite doing his knee again, he continues to play and score at a level Romario did for far more of his career. Ronaldo played at a higher level for far longer despite all his 'physical problems'.

Ronaldo in 2002 did far more to secure Brazil a WC than Romario in 1994. Remember that Brazil struggled to qualify for that WC and Ronaldo was heavily relied on, scoring in 7 out of the 8 matches they played during the WC, including 2 in the final against Kahn, the guy that won best player of the tournament.

I don't think citing Romario's "longevity" in comparison to Ronaldo stands up tbh. He never played in Europe after the age of 29, when he should have been at his peak. Ronaldo played at the top level in Europe at the very very best clubs in Europe until he was 32 and maintained a phenomenal goals per game average right until the last game he played at Milan. Even at the age of 34, he still averaging easily a goal every two games in Brazil.

Thats not to say that Romario hasn't had a long career and that he wasn't banging them in well into his thirties. But using it as stick to beat Ronaldo with when he himself is still doing it age 34 in the same league isn't fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement