Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romario Vs Ronaldo (Nazario da Lima)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo
    Dempsey wrote: »
    If we are being picky:

Fat or not, he is one of the most decorated players to ever kick a ball,more than Romario (far more individually). And whilst everyone was commenting on his weight, he was breaking the all time goal scoring record at the world cup. His weight isnt stopping him scoring goodo in Brazil.

He had 2 near career ending knee injuries and many fans, pundits, pros recognise that most wouldnt have comeback, physically or mentally to a high level, never mind going to Real Madrid for €39m and scoring 80+ goals and despite doing his knee again, he continues to play and score at a level Romario did for far more of his career. Ronaldo played at a higher level for far longer despite all his 'physical problems'.

Ronaldo in 2002 did far more to secure Brazil a WC than Romario in 1994. Remember that Brazil struggled to qualify for that WC and Ronaldo was heavily relied on, scoring in 7 out of the 8 matches they played during the WC, including 2 in the final against Kahn, the guy that won best player of the tournament.

I never suggested his weight stopped him scoring goals. I said it showed he lacked mental strength and I would stand by that (didn't his club agree?). Having more individual honours doesn't make him the better player it just means he has the higher profile which, as I said earlier, I feel is why those who didn't see Romario in the mid nineties are dismissing him.

It's entirely subjective as to the amount contributed to Brazil's success. Yes Brazil struggled prior to the World Cup in '02 but Romario was left out of the picture. Perhaps had Romario been there in 1998, Brazil might have won it (oh I went there ;)) There were even suggestions Romario should have made the 2006 tournament since he was the top scorer in Brazil in 2005 (at age 40!).

If Ronaldo shows this kind of longevity I'll be impressed. Romario all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I never suggested his weight stopped him scoring goals. I said it showed he lacked mental strength and I would stand by that (didn't his club agree?). Having more individual honours doesn't make him the better player it just means he has the higher profile which, as I said earlier, I feel is why those who didn't see Romario in the mid nineties are dismissing him.

It's entirely subjective as to the amount contributed to Brazil's success. Yes Brazil struggled prior to the World Cup in '02 but Romario was left out of the picture. Perhaps had Romario been there in 1998, Brazil might have won it (oh I went there ;)) There were even suggestions Romario should have made the 2006 tournament since he was the top scorer in Brazil in 2005 (at age 40!).

Longevity is only one of many many criteria by which greatness is measured though MNG. While it is of course important, you're overstating its importance, especially when you consider that by keeping the scoring average he is doing at the age of 34, Ronaldo himself is displaying above average longevity (especially when you consider his injuries).

Ronaldo
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Longevity is only one of many many criteria by which greatness is measured though MNG. While it is of course important, you're overstating its importance, especially when you consider that by keeping the scoring average he is doing at the age of 34, Ronaldo himself is displaying above average longevity (especially when you consider his injuries).

I'm not sure I'm overstating it as there's a difference between doing it at 34 and doing it even after hitting the big 40. I'm not knocking Ronaldo as he has done very well too at his age and with his issues but I don't feel Romario is getting the credit he merits due to Ronaldo having the 'star' profile a la Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, and co.

I should point out I'm not knocking Ronaldo as a player. Cruyff however labelled Romario a genius, Pele, despite his personal issues with him, named him in his all time list, and I've quoted Maradona's comments already where he said he'd put him in his all time dream team. Romario and Ronaldo were probably the two greatest strikers I've seen in the nineties, certainly internationally, and to me it is close between the two, but Romario edges it in my eyes for having I feel a stronger will as well as quite extraordinary longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ronaldo didnt fade away dramatically, he's scoring for fun down in Brazil where Romario spent the majority of his career getting his 1000 goals.

Also, Ronaldo WC02 > Romario WC94

Not bashing Romario btw, just I think you are putting down Ronaldo abit because he's now back in Brazil

You also have to remember that the season before that WC Ronaldo had 2 operations on his knee, was only back for a few games at the end of the season and went on to be top scorer in the WC.

I would have to say Ronaldo but that is because of my age, i never seen the best of Romario. Ronaldo is in my top 3 players ever for his lethal finishing, speed, skill and strenght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not sure I'm overstating it as there's a difference between doing it at 34 and doing it even after hitting the big 40. I'm not knocking Ronaldo as he has done very well too at his age and with his issues but I don't feel Romario is getting the credit he merits due to Ronaldo having the 'star' profile a la Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, and co.

I should point out I'm not knocking Ronaldo as a player. Cruyff however labelled Romario a genius, Pele, despite his personal issues with him, named him in his all time list, and I've quoted Maradona's comments already where he said he'd put him in his all time dream team. Romario and Ronaldo were probably the two greatest strikers I've seen in the nineties, certainly internationally, and to me it is close between the two, but Romario edges it in my eyes for having I feel a stronger will as well as quite extraordinary longevity.

I tend to avoid citing the opinions of other players as back up in these things. You and others have used quotes from Maradona as back up for your arguments, yet look at the hames he made of arguably the most talented squad at the last World cup - how much is his opinion really worth when he basically fielded a team with one midfielder at the World Cup. Having the respect of your peers is well and good, but when you look at some of the winners of Player Player of the Year in England and when you look at some of the sh*te spouted by ex players on the TV on weekly basis I wouldn't put too much weight behind them either tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ronaldo
    The World Cup of 2002 was nothing on the '94 edition. There was no nowhere near the class of player or team. As for being the top scorer in the World Cup - do we need to put up a Miroslav Klose vs George Weah thread to show how little that counts for at the end of the day?

If I had to vote on this again I might still go for Ronaldo, BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ronaldo but Henry is better than both overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Which club was that?

He had the higher profile, more individual honours because his contribution to the team was more significant than anyone else over a sustained period of time. If Romario did more, wouldnt he of had more individual honours, course he would but he doesnt.

Maybe if Ronaldo didnt have a seizure a couple of hours before the 98 final, they would have won it, he did win the golden ball despite wandering around the final drugged up to the eyeballs.

I consider what you achieved playing your peak years at the highest level over than what you did playing at mediocre level until you are 44.

If longevity is so important, where do you rate Maradona and Best in terms of the games greatest ever players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm sure Dunga would disagree with that vehemently.

Romario for me. He was a phenom and didn't fade away dramatically unlike Ronaldo, who for me lacked the mental strength to put him in a higher bracket. Romario hasn't got the 'profile' that Ronaldo has which I can only hope is the reason he is being so unfairly, and I would say inaccurately, spoken of in this thread.

I loved watching Romario in the '94 World Cup and would pick him all day long over Ronaldo.

Ronaldo did not lack mental strength, he lacked knee strength! Coming back for the 2002 World Cup and doing what he did was one of the greatest feats of mental strength in football. Before that World Cup, he was being written off in many circles.

If it were not for injuries, I believe he would rival Pele and Maradona as the greatest player of all time.

As for Romario not fading away, most of his career after 1994 was him getting in trouble with various clubs for his outrageous, selfish and crazy behaviour. His bad behaviour is a big reason why he was benched in the 1990 World Cup. Plus his 1000 goals is a bit of a sham given that many of them are in non-official games and youth football. Ronaldo's 15 World Cup goals is more impressive in my view.

Edit: Another longevity point, it is hardly Ronaldo's fault that he has suffered 3 horrendous knee injuries. It is not like he just decided one day that he could not give a toss and went back to Brazil. He has had the worst possible luck and he has fought all the way to keep his career going.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo
    flahavaj wrote: »
    I tend to avoid citing the opinions of other players as back up in these things. You and others have used quotes from Maradona as back up for your arguments, yet look at the hames he made of arguably the most talented squad at the last World cup - how much is his opinion really worth when he basically fielded a team with one midfielder at the World Cup. Having the respect of your peers is well and good, but when you look at some of the winners of Player Player of the Year in England and when you look at some of the sh*te spouted by ex players on the TV on weekly basis I wouldn't put too much weight behind them either tbh.

That's a fair point. At the end of the day it's all subjective and no one can be right or wrong since it's a matter of personal taste. If the quotes will provide anything of use it's that they may show some that Romario was indeed one of the top strikers of the nineties, since some posts on this thread would have us believe otherwise and that he was nothing special.
    Dempsey wrote:
    Which club was that?

He had the higher profile, more individual honours because his contribution to the team was more significant than anyone else over a sustained period of time. If Romario did more, wouldnt he of had more individual honours, course he would but he doesnt.

Maybe if Ronaldo didnt have a seizure a couple of hours before the 98 final, they would have won it, he did win the golden ball despite wandering around the final drugged up to the eyeballs.

I consider what you achieved playing your peak years at the highest level over than what you did playing at mediocre level until you are 44.

If longevity is so important, where do you rate Maradona and Best in terms of the games greatest ever players?

Madrid was the club I was referencing there.

Individual awards are dodgy territory. Beckham was in the running for several top awards when he had no business being anywhere near them. I say that as a big Beckham fan. It's because Beckham had a profile that guys like Keane did not. Romario playing in Brazil was not going to be considered for awards like he would have had he stayed in Spain.

I wouldn't say longevity is all important. I think it's useful in this instance comparing two guys who I perceive to be evenly matched and who I am forced to choose between.

At the end of the day it's subjective and I won't sway you to my way of thinking and vice-versa so each to their own Brazilian.
    Ronaldo did not lack mental strength, he lacked knee strength! Coming back for the 2002 World Cup and doing what he did was one of the greatest feats of mental strength in football. Before that World Cup, he was being written off in many circles.

If it were not for injuries, I believe he would rival Pele and Maradona as the greatest player of all time.

As for Romario not fading away, most of his career after 1994 was him getting in trouble with various clubs for his outrageous, selfish and crazy behaviour. His bad behaviour is a big reason why he was benched in the 1990 World Cup. Plus his 1000 goals is a bit of a sham given that many of them are in non-official games and youth football. Ronaldo's 15 World Cup goals is more impressive in my view.

Edit: Another longevity point, it is hardly Ronaldo's fault that he has suffered 3 horrendous knee injuries. It is not like he just decided one day that he could not give a toss and went back to Brazil. He has had the worst possible luck and he has fought all the way to keep his career going.

I don't accept playing in that World Cup was a triumph of mental strength. Surely most players would work their socks off trying to play in that tournament and prove their critics wrong. The fact he did so is indeed very impressive. I never questioned his scoring rate though. It's easy to cite his peak years as evidence of his strength and ignore later, unpleasant years. He scored one goal in 7 games before Capello shipped him to Milan.

The points you say about Romario are true but he was not lacking mental strength, he was just being the bad boy. Fair point on Ronaldo's poor luck.

I would still prefer Romario.

You put Ronaldo's exit at Real Madrid down to a lack of mental strength but the fact that Romario couldnt keep his head screwed on right after the 94 WC down to just being the bad boy???

Have to LOL at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

@MNG: I usually think you're a deadly poster, but you are talking absolute shít ITT.

Ronaldo
    You put Ronaldo's exit at Real Madrid down to a lack of mental strength but the fact that Romario couldnt keep his head screwed on right after the 94 WC down to just being the bad boy???

Have to LOL at that!

Why? There's a difference between the two wouldn't you say? For example I wouldn't accuse Roy Keane of lacking mental strength.
    keane2097 wrote:
    @MNG: I usually think you're a deadly poster, but you are talking absolute shít ITT.

About what?

Why? There's a difference between the two wouldn't you say? For example I wouldn't accuse Roy Keane of lacking mental strength.

Neither would I accuse Ronaldo, he bought out his contract at Madrid to sign for Milan, such was his belief in his own talent

Ronaldo
    Neither would I accuse Ronaldo, he bought out his contract at Madrid to sign for Milan, such was his belief in his own talent

I'm not accusing him of being mentally weak overall. We are judging and comparing the two players to one another. Compared to Romario, he was the weaker mentally in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I'm not accusing him of being mentally weak overall. We are judging and comparing the two players to one another. Compared to Romario, he was the weaker mentally in my opinion.

Romario was mentally unstable from the very beginning of his career. Mentality wise, Ronaldo is much stronger.

Ronaldo
    Romario was mentally unstable from the very beginning of his career. Mentality wise, Ronaldo is much stronger.

Romario had a poor temperament but I would never say he was mentally weak. It's occurred to me that mentality has been discussed more times in this thread than in an interview with Trap. :pac:

Romario had a poor temperament but I would never say he was mentally weak. It's occurred to me that mentality has been discussed more times in this thread than in an interview with Trap. :pac:

Nah he talks about men-tallli-teeee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ronaldo. They don't call him "El Fenomeno" for nuthin' ya kno'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

But that's not what you said.

You said "he lacked mental strength to put him in a higher bracket".

Which is clearly BS. He fought back from 2 career threatening injuries and countless others to maintain one of the best goals to games ratios at the top level of football. He also rebounded from one of the biggest World Cup final scandals to become the all time top scorer in the competitions history. This isn't a player who coasted at lower level clubs to make himself standout, he has proven himself to be one of the best of all time at PSV, Barcelona, Inter, Real Madrid, AC Milan, the Brazilian national team and a swansong in his home country which nobody should begrudge him.

One of the best and most reputable scouts of the modern game in Piet De Visser saw nothing wrong his mental strength, neither did Sir Bobby Robson, Vicente Del Bosque or Carlo Ancelotti who all saw fit to sign him.

If anything, the chap has consistently proven himself to be among the most mentally focused and determined players of our time. There are very few players who would have went through what Ronaldo did and remained a world class player on the other side each and every time.

• Advertisement

BTW, I don't think the difference should be 79 to 18. More 50-44.

CorkMan wrote: »

Not really. That would just mean an additional 26 people were wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

And what happens to the other 3 peoples votes?
    I guess your maths skills aint up to scratch.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    And what happens to the other 3 peoples votes?
    I guess your maths skills aint up to scratch.

I'm just saying what I think the score should be closer to IMO, I didn't calculate anythinh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It's a representation of how many people think Ronaldo was the better player rather than a representation of just how much better than Romario he was.

Tee hee hee.

Ronaldo
    Archimedes wrote: »
    But that's not what you said.

You said "he lacked mental strength to put him in a higher bracket".

Which is clearly BS. He fought back from 2 career threatening injuries and countless others to maintain one of the best goals to games ratios at the top level of football. He also rebounded from one of the biggest World Cup final scandals to become the all time top scorer in the competitions history. This isn't a player who coasted at lower level clubs to make himself standout, he has proven himself to be one of the best of all time at PSV, Barcelona, Inter, Real Madrid, AC Milan, the Brazilian national team and a swansong in his home country which nobody should begrudge him.

One of the best and most reputable scouts of the modern game in Piet De Visser saw nothing wrong his mental strength, neither did Sir Bobby Robson, Vicente Del Bosque or Carlo Ancelotti who all saw fit to sign him.

If anything, the chap has consistently proven himself to be among the most mentally focused and determined players of our time. There are very few players who would have went through what Ronaldo did and remained a world class player on the other side each and every time.

The 'higher bracket' refers to Romario. That is self-evident considering what the thread is about. I have already said on this thread I consider the two to be the best international strikers of the nineties. Did you miss that bit?

Nothing I've said was BS. You list off his mental strengths which are fair enough and which I don't dispute - what I have added into the equation however, which you don't want to acknowledge, are the chap's flaws, i.e. why Capello wanted shot of him before he joined Milan. I reiterate, compared to Romario, he was the weaker player imo. That is my view. If you think a guy who let himself go is mentally stronger than Romario then good luck to you, however I happen to disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Romario's stats are right up there with Ronaldo. And no I wouldn't refer to him as fat to trash him but it does shows that he harmed his reputation in later years after his peak.

As for the Bobby Robson quote, that's a valid view to have. I wouldn't suggest otherwise. I just prefer Romario and other notable figures agree:

Maradonna also said that Claudio Cannigia was "one of the best I every played with" so, really, we can't take his opinion to mean a whole lot.

after all, he managed to convince himself that playing a **** winger from the championship at right full during a world cup was a good idea.

The 'higher bracket' refers to Romario. That is self-evident considering what the thread is about. I have already said on this thread I consider the two to be the best international strikers of the nineties. Did you miss that bit?

Nothing I've said was BS. You list off his mental strengths which are fair enough and which I don't dispute - what I have added into the equation however, which you don't want to acknowledge, are the chap's flaws, i.e. why Capello wanted shot of him before he joined Milan. I reiterate, compared to Romario, he was the weaker player imo. That is my view. If you think a guy who let himself go is mentally stronger than Romario then good luck to you, however I happen to disagree.

Why does his weight matter one bit? It clearly never impacted his game one bit, he's been consistently brilliant, so again, why does it matter?

You act as if Ronado carrying a few extra pounds is the worst thing in the world, but ignore Romario's criticism of managers, poor professionalism and overall well established lack of discipline. If Ronaldo's extra pounds make him mentally weak, then Romario publicly slating managers and decisions, turning up late for training, partying antics etc. are the traits of man who is much weaker mentally.

I am also going to throw out the fact that when he joined Milan he'd lost 4kg in 2 weeks training and then they discovered a thyroid problem that had been untreated for about 4 years, when the medication for this condition started working his metabolism shot up and he lost an additional 8kg in the next 3 months, thats about 2 ston, Milan Lab doctors said at the time he has also gained about 12kg of muscle over the first 4 months at milan, so really he lost 24kg between water retention loss and fat loss in 4 months. The said the reason he was carrying so much weight was because of the undiagnosed thyroid problem which reduced his metabolism to about 50% what it should have been and may actually have been the cause of some of his injuries.

Ronaldo
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Why does his weight matter one bit? It clearly never impacted his game one bit, he's been consistently brilliant, so again, why does it matter?

You act as if Ronado carrying a few extra pounds is the worst thing in the world, but ignore Romario's criticism of managers, poor professionalism and overall well established lack of discipline. If Ronaldo's extra pounds make him mentally weak, then Romario publicly slating managers and decisions, turning up late for training, partying antics etc. are the traits of man who is much weaker mentally.

It impacted his game at Madrid. Here's a blast from a few years past:
    Ronaldo still too fat, says Capello

Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello blasted Brazil superstar Ronaldo for being overweight Saturday but offered an olive branch by saying Ronaldo's waistline is heading in the right direction.

"He is getting better every day in training and is starting to rediscover an acceptable physical condition," said Capello.

"He's not yet at his best, he still needs to lose a few more pounds but he doesn't seem too bad to me.

"He's lost a lot of weight but he still needs to lose more to become the player that everyone knows. For him, losing weight is important."

Ronaldo is known as "el Gordo' - 'Fatty' - on the terraces at the Bernabeu and his waistline has been steadily expanding ever since his first stint in Spain as a fleet-footed and blistering young forward at Barcelona in the mid 1990s.

He has been far from happy with his limited role at Real this season where Ruud van Nistelrooy and Raul have been the first choice attacking pairing.

On Friday he admitted in a long interview with daily newspaper ABC: "I can't be happy because what makes me happy - playing football - is missing from my life."

But he vowed defiantly: "The worst thing is not to have the trust of the coach, and to not know how to regain it.

"But I'm a fighter, and I'm going to fight my way back into the starting line-up." added Ronaldo, who in the summer became the all-time leading scorer in the World Cup finals.

He may well not have to wait too long for that as he is rumoured to be going to start Sunday's clash with Celta Vigo.

He missed the start of the season after a shin operation at the end of July and was hoping to make his first start this season last Wednesday in the Champions League against Steaua Bucharest.

Instead he played only 15 minutes in Real's 1-0 victory.

Capello explained afterwards that Ronaldo had a stiff neck and that was why he left him out.

But rumours are circulating in the Spanish press that Ronaldo could be heading out the exit door in the January transfer window.

It would not be the first time such rumours have abounded in Madrid as last season Ronaldo alluded he would leave in the close season after facing constant barracking from Real's notoriously hard to please fans.

AC and Inter Milan competed for his signature in the summer but with the arrival of Capello, Ronaldo opted to stay.

Ronaldo became the most successful goalscorer at the World Cup in July when he took his career tally in the tournament to 15 goals.

His contract with Real, who pay him an annual salary of 7.5 million euros, expires in 2008 when he will be 32 years old.

He says he fully intends on honouring that contract before "playing two more years in the United States or Brazil" and retiring at the age of 35.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200611/07/eng20061107_319005.html

This is the aspect of Ronaldo's career you seem to want to airbrush from history.

As for Romario being weaker mentally, I disagree. The stuff you described could have been said about Roy Keane and as I said already, to me that's having a poor temperament rather than being mentally weak.

If I was forming my dream team I would take the above factors into account and go for Romario, and make no apologies for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ronaldo is without a shadow of a doubt the greatest striker I have ever had the pleasure of seeing up close. I love the man

Im a fan of Romario of course but I just cant see any way of not taking Ronaldo here

He really would have gone down as the greatest of all time but for the injuries imo

Never seen a striker with such raw pace, aggression, skill, power and sheer clinical finishing before or after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronaldo for me, had it all to play in any league and bang in goals for fun.

Romario was also exceptional, you cant score the goals that man did without been a great player but it has to be Ronaldo and the poll reflects that.

There is not much to choose between them, it just falls down to peoples personal choice.

Ronaldo
    gavredking wrote: »
    Ronaldo for me, had it all to play in any league and bang in goals for fun.

Romario was also exceptional, you cant score the goals that man did without been a great player but it has to be Ronaldo and the poll reflects that.

There is not much to choose between them, it just falls down to peoples personal choice.

Does it though? I'd wager most people who voted haven't seen enough of Romario to form a balanced opinion. Ronaldo WOULD have been the all time great but for injuries. But the FACT is that he was blighted by injury and never really consistently played to his full potential post Barcelona because of this.

Romario last played in Europe in 1998 in a stint at Valencia when he didn't play a whole lot. So his last realistic stint in Europe where people here could have seen him regualrly was in 1995!

Even though he was blighted by injury he maintained a goal to game ration of 1 in 2 pretty much everywhere he went, that is consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I still have my Romario Barcelona Jersey from when I was a kid. I remember us as 12 year olds during WC 94 comparing Romario and Baggio. I feckin loved Romario. I still remember drooling at this goal. Think it was actually the first Champions league.

He was my football hero as a kid.

However, IMO, Ronaldo was just out of this world. Speed of a train, strength of a bull and skill like some skillful thing:)

Romario is a legend, but I have to say its Ronaldo for me.

EDIT: Dang, don't know why that link aint working. Click here if yer interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Romario was definitely a hero of mine when I was a kid. However, he did use crazy stuff to try bring his stats for career goals scored up.
    He was only short of using goals he scored in 5-a-side against his mates etc lol

Ronaldo is the most natural goal scorer and finisher I have ever witnessed. Phenomenal.

It's such a pity he was plagued with injury and bad management.

Jimi - you only the the letter & numbers of the link, and click the insert youtube thingy in the text editor.

Ah sure clearly he has a weak mentality. You're entire arguement of Ronaldo is based on a 6 month period where Capello successfully got him off the wage bill. Capello is a notorious fitness freak so him having a pop at his weight isnt much of a surprise now is it?
    "But I'm a fighter, and I'm going to fight my way back into the starting line-up."

Definitely weak mentality.

Your argument about his mentality falls down in so many places

There he is with all his weak mentality and weight problems scoring plenty like Romario did in Brazil and winning the championship and cup in his first season. Corinthians were only just back in the top flight too. Funny that.

Sure you aint thinking of Adriano? :pac:

Maybe the 17 people who voted for Romario, should turn on sky one right now.

what was on sky one?

• Advertisement

A show called footballs greatest, that did a profile on Ronaldo.

A show called footballs greatest, that did a profile on Ronaldo.

And it was brilliant :) really made me remember what a bloody phenomenal player Ronaldo was. And some interesting little things like him havin 'Ronaldinho' on his jersey when he first played for Brazil.

And it was brilliant :) really made me remember what a bloody phenomenal player Ronaldo was. And some interesting little things like him havin 'Ronaldinho' on his jersey when he first played for Brazil.

There was an interesting comment/thought at the end of it, seeing what an amazing player he was, even after injuries, and the weight problem, Just imagine what he could have been if he hadn't had either of those two troubles.

Makes you wonder a small bit how good he really could have been.

There was an interesting comment/thought at the end of it, seeing what an amazing player he was, even after injuries, and the weight problem, Just imagine what he could have been if he hadn't had either of those two troubles.

Makes you wonder a small bit how good he really could have been.

Could have been legendary.

Could have been legendary.
    I find it hard to see how he wouldn't have been anything but, I mean everywhere he went he did what he had to, score goals, and lots of them, a true great of our time.

Didn't like the bit about his hat trick against united though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I find it hard to see how he wouldn't have been anything but, I mean everywhere he went he did what he had to, score goals, and lots of them, a true great of our time.

Didn't like the bit about his hat trick against united though :(

That hat trick against United was amazing. Never forget that match. When he was taken off, both sets of fans applauded him so that says something and not many scored Hat Tricks against United at Old Trafford. There was a pure appreciation for football that night. Epic!

Ronaldo was just an animal fit or not. The man is a true great and a Legend.

• Advertisement

Whats all this could have been legendary crap?

he is ****ing legendary! and that hattrick against us is one of the greatest things i have ever witnessed in the flesh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

what idiot is saying "could have"

Just been reading an article about Ronaldo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/10/can_ronaldo_prove_us_wrong_aga.html
    I am reliably informed that Ronaldo's current weight problem is, in part, a consequence of the medication he needs to soothe his battered knees.

That would explain why he has trouble shedding the blubber

Advertisement