Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi or Rooney+Torres

• 07-10-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Since the international break has this place pretty quiet with a few polls popping up I'd thought I'd add one. Having this discussion the other night and it was interesting.

Basically who would you rather for your team. Messi or Rooney and Torres combined.

Who would you pick 49 votes

Messi
    0%
    Rooney and Torres
    100%
    Corben DallasT-b0n3efbKingp35evad_lhorgapplehunterMr.Nice GuypwdiregkthorbarryeZe^GLaDOSfullstopfillmore jivedfx-JohnerShanotheslayerWarperSK1979Gonzovision 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Rooney and Torres
    Messi by far as he is the only one who i consider deserves the title of world class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Rooney and Torres
    Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rooney and Torres. I would prefer have to excellent goal outlets in my yeam than just one.

Anyway, we will probably see Messi and Torres together very soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rooney and Torres
    Messi. Rooney has been brilliant and I really like him a lot but he has been out of form this season, Torres is injury prone but a great finisher.

Messi is a great finisher and has Rooney's engine and he never loses form and is rarely injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Definitely Rooney and Torres. Two top strikers who just happen to be off form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the way i look at it is take a championship team and put both rooney and torres into it or put messi into it on his own. I would rather have both rooney and torres in my team tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'd rather have both Rooney and Torres, but Messi is the best player on this planet atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given that Rooney can play from deep it would be him and Torres, just not right now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It would have to be Messi for me. Messi is a once in a life time player while Rooney and Torres would be once in a decade type players.Messi has the potential to be the greatest player ever. As good as Rooney and Torres can be I don't think they will ever be that good.

I'd take Messi as realistically Torres is never going to be fit so thread should be Messi or Rooney.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Rooney and Torres
    It wasn't even a year ago that there was a Messi v Rooney thread on here! Incredibly, a lot of people were picking Rooney.

I picked Messi then and i'm picking him now. Not that i necessarily think Messi is a better asset than a fully fit Rooney and Torres, but he is a fúckload more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

And another one of those threads covering a typical discussion between two twelve year olds. <sigh>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the way i look at it is take a championship team and put both rooney and torres into it or put messi into it on his own. I would rather have both rooney and torres in my team tbh

This makes a lot of sense. When I thought of it first I was leaning towards Messi but then I looked at it in the Irish national team sense. For tomorrow's match who would I like to see in the Irish team. Have to say Rooney & Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Rooney and Torres
    Considering how sh1te Rooney and Torres are right now I don't see the point of this poll. It's like asking if I'd prefer mayonnaise or semen in my sandwich.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Daemos wrote: »
    Considering how sh1te Rooney and Torres are right now I don't see the point of this poll.
    Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Rooney and Torres I will pick. Would be putting goals away for fun.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Boskowski wrote: »
    And another one of those threads covering a typical discussion between two twelve year olds. <sigh>

And a reply worthy of a jaded 13 year old :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hmm, one great player or 2 great players...I choose 2 great players tbh. If Messi was English he would have been chastised after the WC btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rooney and Torres
    Messi simply because I don't think Rooney will ever match his last seasons form nor do I think Torres could ever match 2007/8. But anytime Messi is on the ball there is that possibility that anything can happen, the lad has had one injury in about 3 years of football and is without doubt the best player in the world by a fair distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rooney and Torres
    Liam O wrote: »
    hmm, one great player or 2 great players...I choose 2 great players tbh. If Messi was English he would have been chastised after the WC btw...

Yeah but Messi did everything in that WC except score, Rooney just had a **** tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gimmick wrote: »
    Rooney and Torres. I would prefer have to excellent goal outlets in my yeam than just one.

Anyway, we will probably see Messi and Torres together very soon ;)

I knew the Henry was rich but Messi to the pool... cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rooney and Torres
    I'd take Messi over the other two even if both were firing on all cylinders. Messi will be considered the best of all time when he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I knew the Henry was rich but Messi to the pool... cant wait!

That's what I thought he said originally, but I reverted my thinking to Fernando Torres joining Barcelona.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Torres and Rooney anyday. As good as Messi is he can't be in two places at the one time on a pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

baz2009 wrote: »
    Torres and Rooney anyday. As good as Messi is he can't be in two places at the one time on a pitch..

Sure, but seeing as Torres is made of glass, you probably wouldn't have them both on the pitch together very often :D

All joking aside, I'll have a Messi, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Messi by far as he is the only one who i consider deserves the title of world class

You would probably want to look at how you define world class than.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Who let the Drogs out

Drogba all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

baz2009 wrote: »

I think this is a crazy question to begin with. how can you compare one player to two players together? doesnt make sense to me.
    2 v 1, 2players always win, unless they cannont kick a ball.
    obviously messi cant be two places on the a pitch.

every team has 11 players. so this question doesnt make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inmyday wrote: »
    I think this is a crazy question to begin with. how can you compare one player to two players together? doesnt make sense to me.
    2 v 1, 2players always win, unless they cannont kick a ball.
    obviously messi cant be two places on the a pitch.

every team has 11 players. so this question doesnt make sense to me.

If you need to be a bit pedantic so. Put it this way, 10 crap players plus Messi or 9 crap players plus Rooney & Torres. Which team do you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you need to be a bit pedantic so. Put it this way, 10 crap players plus Messi or 9 crap players plus Rooney & Torres. Which team do you take?

9 + Rooney and Torres.
    Messi could only go so far on a run on his own without haveing to pass it every now and then, whereas Torres and Rooney could justpass to eachother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Two world class players >>>>>> One world class player at the end of the day.

Though Messi is well ahead of the other two on an individual basis,(or indeed any forward on the planet) obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Whats with all the 'him or him' threads? IMO footballers today dont even come close with the players of yesteryear

up the Eurovision songs :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Messi. Simple as that.

And if Rooney wasn't English, he would be so far off this poll. If Drogba was English, he'd be the one of the greatest of all time. Laughable thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If they were all performing at a high level, probably Torres and Rooney.

Rooney has a great ability to find space and link up play whilst Torres is a tremendous finisher.

Two out of form attacking men but on form are pretty devastating.

Choosing Messi over these two just screams over-exageration and idolisation.

As good a player as Messi is, he would not be more productive or beneficial then these two on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I'm going to get a backlash for this but messi simply because he is the best player in the world and this is from a liverpool fan but torres is to injury prone and rooney is over rated simply because he is english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rooney and Torres
    Messi and its just simple. He is on another planet, when he first started he was never a goal machine and in thelast 3 years he ahs worked on his finishing and has become more selfish.

Messi willgo down as one of the most gifted players ever and will be pushing Pele, Maradona, Cryuff, Zidane as been recognised as one of the greatest ever, Torres and Rooney will be great players but never in the same breath as the guys above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Rooney and Torres
    I'd pick Messi every time. He is worth more than Rooney and Torres combined and can do things that no other player can do on a consistent basis. He rarely has a poor game unlike Torres and Rooney and is man of the match more often than not. He is younger and better and is still improving. Torres is always injured and Rooney has too many off games. If put on the open market Messi's transfer fee would be more than Rooney and Torres combined as well.

Advertisement