Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended rigid attic insulation?

• 07-10-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

My attic currently has bog-standard 100mm fibreglass insulation between joists, so I want to improve this and add some flooring at the same time. Due to the dense trusses only some of the attic space is useable for storage, so I was planning on using rigid insulation over the joists (like Knauf Space Board or Kingspan TF73) in the accessible areas, with a chipboard covering if necessary. The inaccessible attic space would use 150mm fibreglass over the existing 100mm insulation and joists.

Is there any obvious problem with this, and do you have a recommendation for the rigid insulation? Stockist information would be good too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Should be fine. 300mm fibreglass is the current new build required thickness, which IMO you should try to achieve.

Foil backed insulation boards are quite similar, so check their U-value to guage like for like. I'll PM a Dublin stockest but its usually worth letting your fingers do the walking & get quotes from a number of local suppliers.

Advertisement