Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on Msc in Biomedical science

Options
  • 07-10-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks!

These may seem like silly questions but here it goes :

I studied my undergrad in general science in ireland, i have got accepted to and am attending a UK university doing a Msc in Biomedical science. Now, at the moment I am looking to register with the equivalent UK body, HPC but all it says in the registration part is that you have to have a Biomedical science undergrad or a science equivalent. Now as i am doing a Msc in biomedical science does that mean I can apply as i will have a Biomedical masters??

Also, it'd be great if someone could gimme a wee snippet of what working as a Biomedical scientist in Ireland is like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey Tatabubbly,
    I can't tell you about the UK regs, but I know the AMLS here don't automatically recognise the Biomedicine Masters from UU anymore, it caused quite a stir when I was doing the course as some were doing it as a means to get accreditation. Best bets for you is to contact the AMLS directly and state your case. They'll be able to tell you whats what quickly enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Thanks, it says in the handbook that the course is approved by the AMLS and accredited by the IBMS in the UK.... I'll have to get into contact with them now, I suppose it won't matter until I finish the course, if there are any jobs out there, i'm probably going to have to go abroad anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

getting accredited with the imbs will make things easier when you go to try the amls. unfortunately, people who are already accreddited in ireland are having a hard time trying to find jobs here, i know quite a few who went to the UKto rack up some experience on the back of the accredited BSc. in DIT and UCC.
    The HPC might not accept you for accreditation until you've done the masters, or you get vouching from a hosptial placement in the UK during your training that you can apply to the HPC with. Afaik the HPC look for 12months accredited work experience, so you'll have to blag your way into a trainging placement in a UK hosptial. Having experience before you apply in .ie will stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Yeah, i'm getting the impression from the course that they didn't really read my CV or care as long as they got their fees from me. I'm having a few doubts about the course but i'm going to have to find work experience for a while after my masters to get me out of it. Well i'm planning on heading to england anyway, it was really my port of call, i know the job situation in Ireland is crap at the minute..

Advertisement