Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an I5 system: Ram needed?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Hi im building an I5 gaming machine for a friend using this main board.
    ASUS P7P55-M - Motherboard - micro ATX - iP55 -
    LGA1156 Socket - UDMA133, SATA-300 (RAID) -

do I need 3 sticks of ram for I5 and is it perticular ram that I need?
    I have build quad cores before and just used PC2 800 ram. Will this type of ram work on an I5 system.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

THIS
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3708864/art/corsair/xms3-2-x-2-gb-ddr3-1600-p.html

would be your best bet. Trust me on this :)

You don't need 3 sticks of ram in the P55 motherboards as they are only dual channel. You need 3 sticks in the X58 motherboards which are triple channel.

It's Corsair ram which is very compatible with Asus P55 motherboards. Plus its pretty fast ram, 1600mhz, at a fraction of the cost of a lot of other cheaper less compatible slower rams out there.

I've built two Asus P55 systems with Core-i processors recently and used this ram in both of them.

Don't use OCZ ram or anything like that. I find Asus boards can be rather picky about what brand of ram you drop into them.

A lot of people under estimate the importance of good ram and a good power supply when it comes to system stability. This ram and mobo combo will be rock solid.

What type of graphics card are you getting and what resolution monitor will he be using? Also very important consideration! :)

CORSAIR XMS3 2 X 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 MEMORY KIT (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

thanks for that. I got that ram from Komplett.ie, a little more expensive but im getting every thing else there. should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

no problem glad I could help

if you have any more questions feel free to hit me up any time. I'm kinda new to boards does this have a private message function? I could give you my email or msn address if you wanna talk computers any other time :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup, there's a PM facility :) Check the top-right-hand corner of the screen ;)

Advertisement