Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONT GO TO DIT!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why thank you....it's nice to see dit is sooooo friendly....like not! :mad: asshole!

Ha welcome to the internet, bit of advice stop taking things so personally and if you stop behaving like a spoilt little brat you might find people are quite helpful. Boards.ie is pretty damn tame so learn how to deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Being an IT and not a university is not as awful as some people seem to think. They're in the process of changing it to a Uni, but I think it should stay an IT. IT's in other countries are seen to be as good as unis but here for some reason it is the exact opposite. I could have gone to 3 other universities to do my course but DIT was the best.

It is. Employer with the choice between an IT grad or a University grad, will probably take the University grad, especially if he/she is from Trinity. I've seen it happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Naikon wrote: »
    It is. Employer with the choice between an IT grad or a University grad, will probably take the University grad, especially if he/she is from Trinity. I've seen it happen before.

Not necessarily true. An employer usually see's a student who comes from an IT as one who has more hands on experience, especially in things like Engineering etc. and would thus settle into a job quicker than someone who knows the degree inside and out but no application skills for said job.

Also, DIT is different from the IT's across the Country, in that it awards its own diplomas, degrees, masters and doctorates.

darragh16 wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. An employer usually see's a student who comes from an IT as one who has more hands on experience, especially in things like Engineering etc. and would thus settle into a job quicker than someone who knows the degree inside and out but no application skills for said job.

Also, DIT is different from the IT's across the Country, in that it awards its own diplomas, degrees, masters and doctorates.

Ok, first of all, if the employee is from an IT or University, he/she will still require proper "practical" training to get up to scratch. Practical skills or whatever you learn during the degree is simply jumping through hoops for the most part.
    Also, you can't presume that just because someone is an IT grad that he/she is "practically orientated" whereas someone from the University is not. This "practical oriented" nonsense is used by the DIT propagandists(admissions office)
    to lure unsuspecting students to their doors. The fact remains, DIT facilities are pretty poor when you compare the college to a traditional brick and mortar University like DCU or UCD for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Ok, first of all, if the employee is from an IT or University, he/she will still require proper "practical" training to get up to scratch. Practical skills or whatever you learn during the degree is simply jumping through hoops for the most part.
    Also, you can't presume that just because someone is an IT grad that he/she is "practically orientated" whereas someone from the University is not. This "practical oriented" nonsense is used by the DIT propagandists(admissions office)
    to lure unsuspecting students to their doors. The fact remains, DIT facilities are pretty poor when you compare the college to a traditional brick and mortar University like DCU or UCD for instance.
    Depends on the course your doing. My course has great facilities better than any college in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

nonsense is used by the DIT propagandists(admissions office)

Propaganda? Its not the Nazi party. However, I've been told by numerous employers and even lecturers from other colleges that hands on work through the college course does help in the 'real' world.

Also, statistics have shown that DIT graduates are the least likely to be unemployed 6 months after graduating from their course.

*I am working on finding the link to prove it. I read it in the paper about 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

I'm just going to put it out there...

If your planning on doing a course in the School of Food Science and Environmental Health DO IT!!! The lecturers are great and the facilities are pretty darn great too...

There have been instances when we've had to pair up to have equipment but we still learn so much! The lecturers (bar none that I can think of) always go out of their way to help and are quirky and clever!

I could happily slate some of the lecturers because they bore me or I simply don't click with them but it doesn't prevent them from being darn good at their job!

Also I had one module in the School of Culinary Arts and the lecturer was super uber cool!

I really like DIT and so glad I chose it! And as for the University vs. IT bs... get over it people! DIT is the only course in Ireland that offers my degree and AFAIK one of a two that I know of that offer an undergraduate degree in my field bar a University in Canada...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

doin a final year project in bolton st is near impossible, the equiptment crap, spent half my time in trinity or ucd to do my project. was considering doin a phd there but decided against it as would be 4 years of begging other colleges for equiptment
    apart from a lack of equiptment lecturers are alway nice and most of them help as much as possible.
    you know who is useless in dit, the bloody porters. they are the laziest people i ever met (except a couple), the bolton st ones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Automated Response

I am in agreement with the OP on this subject.

Whilst I do appreciate that there are some excellent lecturers, with world-wide renown, the amount of sub-standard lecturers is appaling!

The course that I enrolled in turned out to be a joke. I will freely admit that I wasn't a model student. I probably missed more classes than I attended, but this does not take away from the fact that the course/lecturers were a complete joke. Actually, my poor attendance record probably backs up this claim as I earned an Honours Degree. The culmination of 4 or 5 days of study at the end of each semester. :rolleyes:

I am not saying this as a point of pride or self-satisfaction, I actually wished that I had applied myself while I was there, but rather as a point of concern. I genuinely feel sorry for the members of my class who put everything into their course and are now unemployable, even with their 1st Class honours!

I had lecturers who were blatently abusing their positions and their titles to further their careers rather than to educate their students. They put little or no effort into lecture preparation, regularly cancelled classes with no notice (because they had business related matters to deal with), were unreachable even during thesis time when they were supposed to be acting as thesis tutors... I could go on and on.

I do know of some friends who thoroughly enjoyed their courses, and claimed to have excellent lecturers who were very approachable and hands on. That being said, I know many more who were disappointed overall with their experiences.

Now before some of you jump on my back about this.. Class representatives were approached about the subject, the SU was also approached. Complaints were sent to almost anybody who would read them. Nothing was ever done about these.

In relation to the SU - it is and has always been just short of a disaster. The only time I ever remember anything positive was when Bob Coggins used to be the Entz officer. He did his level best when it came to organising events and social occasions. I accept the fact that the spread out nature of DIT is a big hindrance to an effective SU. I'm sure it would be much more organised and structured if it were all under one roof.

The admin staff in Bolton Street were more of a hindrance than a help (although I have heard of improvements in the last year or two). I've had many dealings with them and the headaches they give a person really aren't worth the hassle.

Facilities are, at best, basic.

Grangegorman still seems like a pipe dream. I was supposed to have my first class there in 2003...:confused:

I was involved in sports committees and clubs. I dealt with the sports office and found them to be unresponsive or difficult. They try to make it as hard as possible for any non-mainstream sport to function.

The library is not good enough. The staff are rude, the computers are poor and outdated and the actual books are pre-historic.

I wouldn't be put off attending DIT now. What I would do before making my choice is thoroughly research the course, the lecturers, the staff and question current/previous students. But when is a 17 or 18 year old ever going to be that thorough!?

I would say that DIT's biggest asset is it's student body. It's just a shame that they treat them so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

After reading this thread I'm starting to think of changing my first choices for the CAO application form...Is it actually that bad when u start studying there?

• Advertisement

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    After reading this thread I'm starting to think of changing my first choices for the CAO application form...Is it actually that bad when u start studying there?

Honestly, I am not trolling when I say this: Go somewhere else. Had I known what I know now, I would not have gone to DIT. Some really, really good Lecturers in DIT, but sadly, these great people are overshadowed by poor administration, ropey/unreliable facilities, and a sea of bureaucracy whenever you wish to actually propose change. The place is very resistant to change. SU has no power at all, really. Some are pretty dedicated, but the "higher up'" lackies have the final word. There is no way in hell I would pay upwards of 3/4K a year for frankly, sub standard facilities. Not a chance with the fees they are charging now. Just exercise some caution. College ain't cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

JohnG18 wrote: »
    I'm just going to put it out there...
    Also I had one module in the School of Culinary Arts and the lecturer was super uber cool!

I really like DIT and so glad I chose it! And as for the University vs. IT bs... get over it people! DIT is the only course in Ireland that offers my degree and AFAIK one of a two that I know of that offer an undergraduate degree in my field bar a University in Canada...

One better thing about the university in Canada is that I could go there and get a free meal, which was made by students! In DIT, I didn't even have the time to check out the culinary arts place to find any free stuff! Shocking. ;)

One of the worst things about DIT is that the exams are run 20 days after Christmas, and then some people will have to wait a further 20 days for the second semester to resume. It's difficult to arrange any part time work during that period, and also it's difficult to discipline or manage any assignments that you may have during the holiday.

On the other hand, the Hothouse center in DIT is probably the college's saving grace. It's getting relations with various companies that research and develop new technologies. Through this Hothouse center, I was able to show one of my projects to a person from industry and get real-life feedback for it! I know for a fact that many other colleges don't have a connection like this.

You've seriously have to do a lot more research on the course that you're choosing. Also, you have to see how much the pros in DIT outweigh the cons. You have to go way beyond the DIT prospectus description, and ask some lecturers and current students about the quality of the DIT course that's interesting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

DIT is getting an absolute bating here. While I agree facilities are basic and yes library staff extremely rude, the majority of my lecturers are fantastic. For anyone here considering architecture that's reading this, then you know DIT is the place to do it. It has the best reputation in Ireland and employment rate afterwards is promising when weighted beside UCD or other colleges. Also you get a Masters in Architecture once you graduate, which is a fantastic achievement in the 5 years that would have earned you a Bachelor anywhere else (other than UCD). The studios are great and the staff are extremely enthusiastic. Much of the crap being said here does not apply to Architecture, especially since it has a large staff body, all of whom are dedicated to their jobs and the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Must add my 2c to this - and I preface it by saying it contributed to my dropping out (although laziness, confusion as to what I wanted to study and terrible exam and attendance results were the mainstay, but the state of the place didn't help).

I was in Bolton St. Not gonna say the course but suffice to the rooms were terrible. Lecture rooms totally stank of piss. Building, while old and has a bit of character derived from that, is totally outdated and thus totally inadequate. No internet on computers, only 20 in the library which were impossible to book or get hold of. One colour printer in the whole building. Totally inadequate SU shop. SU totally inactive outside of their little area down below, being a class rep seemed like a chore to the person doing it, nobody once visited our block with any information on anything to do with the SU.

Exam results generally came out latest of all DIT results, one year they came out 3 WEEKS after we started back at lectures (which technically we werent meant to do) - total utter bullshít that one.

Lecturers - dont get me fúcking started. Would bore you to tears. These guys dont have to be highly motivated or want to teach, they just see it as a total chore. stand there, talk without any interaction, leave. The excuse that it's third level is simply not good enough, any teacher should be mandated to interact with students. The ones that did attempt to care and put the effort in generally turned out to be condescending assholes (although for the reason above, I deserved a lot of it but they would often be like this towards people not deserving of it).

No parking close by, because it was they city centre. 20mins walk from the bus that takes me sort of near my houe, 30mins to the train. Grangegorman was heralded as to be complete by 2003 I think someone said, then 07, then 2010, now what? 2099?

DIT should really have a new slogan - on the fence. They are the most unmotivated, unprogressive, stagnant, boring, inspirationless pile of asshats I've had to depend on and again, while 80pc of the reasons I left college are down to me - well lets just say I never officialy told them I was leaving (last september) - and not a single person has noticed yet.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

What part of Bolton St were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

DIT is getting an absolute bating here. While I agree facilities are basic and yes library staff extremely rude, the majority of my lecturers are fantastic. For anyone here considering architecture that's reading this, then you know DIT is the place to do it. It has the best reputation in Ireland and employment rate afterwards is promising when weighted beside UCD or other colleges. Also you get a Masters in Architecture once you graduate, which is a fantastic achievement in the 5 years that would have earned you a Bachelor anywhere else (other than UCD). The studios are great and the staff are extremely enthusiastic. Much of the crap being said here does not apply to Architecture, especially since it has a large staff body, all of whom are dedicated to their jobs and the students.

I think people should point out what campus they are in, I'm in Portland Row doing Fine Art, I'm in my 1st year as a mature student. My experience so far is the complete polar opposite to some of the comments here. The library staff in Mountjoy Sq are dead on, really helpfull, as is the admin staff there. The porters all bar one guy (depends on the day :P) in Portland Row are nice guys. Lecturers in Portland Row are brillant, helpfull and engage with the students.

If you attend an open day ask questions talk to the students, don't walk around like the rest of the sheep, your going to attend there for 4yrs do your homework. Some of the best advise/feed back was from another student he was in second year at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

If I could do it all over again I would not go to DIT. I'd rather UCD, Trinity or DCU just to get that proper campus experience.

DIT "The city is our campus" ha what a joke. Shoight facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

sdonn wrote: »
    well lets just say I never officialy told them I was leaving (last september) - and not a single person has noticed yet.

You must be the popular kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You must be the popular kid :D

Lol. I keep in touch with one or two lads that I knew anyway, but other than that I wasn't really getting along with the students anyway tbh. Most likely because I rarely turned up (in turn, most likely because the place and course were pure shíte).

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Chorcai wrote: »
    I think people should point out what campus they are in, I'm in Portland Row doing Fine Art, I'm in my 1st year as a mature student. My experience so far is the complete polar opposite to some of the comments here. The library staff in Mountjoy Sq are dead on, really helpfull, as is the admin staff there. The porters all bar one guy (depends on the day :P) in Portland Row are nice guys. Lecturers in Portland Row are brillant, helpfull and engage with the students.

If you attend an open day ask questions talk to the students, don't walk around like the rest of the sheep, your going to attend there for 4yrs do your homework. Some of the best advise/feed back was from another student he was in second year at the time.

Completly agree... It unfortunately may be due to the actual campus they are on because I love Cathal Brugha street and as I said there are little things I would love to change but the education I am receiving is 1st rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

sdonn wrote: »
    Lol. I keep in touch with one or two lads that I knew anyway, but other than that I wasn't really getting along with the students anyway tbh. Most likely because I rarely turned up (in turn, most likely because the place and course were pure shíte).

Maybe you hated the course because you couldn't keep up cos you weren't going to lectures?

*Bump*

I want more stories, dammnit!!!

darragh16 wrote: »
    Administration is ****e because they're on a go-slow

DIT Admin have never been on anything but a go slow. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Journo11

I'm going into my fourth year of journalism in DIT and the only real problems arise around exam time! At the start of my second year i was told they lost one of my exam papers before it was marked and it took them two months before they cleared all of it up so i could register.Then my third year results were mixed up with another girl in my class so i thought i had failed two exams but turns out i had passed everything and they didn't realise until i pointed out some assessments i had completed weren't included in my grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I'd like to start by saying that I'm only talking from my point of view and I know many people who have had positive experiences in DIT.

Having said that this past year in DIT has been nothing but horrific for me. I began suffering from a mental illness after having quite a bad time (Won't go into it as it is neither the time nor the forum). I missed quite a few classes but not enough to fail my course. I handed in sick notes from the college doctors, as they were aware of what was going on. My course coordinator basically confronted me several times demanding to know what was wrong with me and for more medical certs from my "proper doctor". I didn't exactly want to say what was wrong with me and I certainly wasn't obliged to do so but she was persistent until I had to have my doctor write her a letter. She also challenged the validity of my illness any time she spoke to me in private.

I felt completely bullied by her and after she found out I felt ashamed as other lecturers started to treat me very differently. I tried to bring this all up with my department head but he showed no interest. I'm normally the type to leave well enough alone but I honestly wanted to bring action against her as my grades suffered significantly and I'll have to repeat a module next year when I'm normally a pretty good student having never failed a module in the three years previous to this.

Rant over.... Most people I know at DIT actually have a good time, the only problem is administration. Every year around exams and repeats they make a mess out of it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I'd like to start by saying that I'm only talking from my point of view and I know many people who have had positive experiences in DIT.

Having said that this past year in DIT has been nothing but horrific for me. I began suffering from a mental illness after having quite a bad time (Won't go into it as it is neither the time nor the forum). I missed quite a few classes but not enough to fail my course. I handed in sick notes from the college doctors, as they were aware of what was going on. My course coordinator basically confronted me several times demanding to know what was wrong with me and for more medical certs from my "proper doctor". I didn't exactly want to say what was wrong with me and I certainly wasn't obliged to do so but she was persistent until I had to have my doctor write her a letter. She also challenged the validity of my illness any time she spoke to me in private.

I felt completely bullied by her and after she found out I felt ashamed as other lecturers started to treat me very differently. I tried to bring this all up with my department head but he showed no interest. I'm normally the type to leave well enough alone but I honestly wanted to bring action against her as my grades suffered significantly and I'll have to repeat a module next year when I'm normally a pretty good student having never failed a module in the three years previous to this.

Rant over.... Most people I know at DIT actually have a good time, the only problem is administration. Every year around exams and repeats they make a mess out of it in my opinion.

It sounds like you just had a prick of a course coordinator. I'd definitely send an email to someone about it. Honestly, I have no idea who you would email in such a situation, I'm sure there is some sort of complaints department, but you should definitely do something about it. I'd hate to think that another student suffering with something similar would be treated the same way.

Hope you are OK now btw:)

I'm sure there is some sort of complaints department.

But she did complain at least to the department head and they did nothing, I'd go to the media with this and let public option be the motivator of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

This sitaution with this girl is completely crazy. I would send a letter to the ASTI in relation to this. If the year head cannot sort this out then he/ she should not be in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

before going to the media the first step if the college are taking no notice is the students union. They have a strong voice when they want so worth a shot.

• Advertisement

first step if the college are taking no notice is the students union.

Agreed go to the students union and inform them of you experiences, I would still go to the media, DIT have clearly failed in there handling of this case (from the information provided) and this information is in the public's interest and should be discussed in a public forum if for no other reason than to inform potential students of what they may face when attending DIT and DIT should have a chance to inform students and potential students of there policies when it's dealing with people who are experiencing mental illness.

Im guessing that the teaching staff have none or little training when it comes to dealing with cases of mental illness this would explain why this girl was treated so badly and other students with mental illnesses will receive the same treatment as this her. Is that fair on them, I don't think so and DIT should be professional in there approach when caring for there students, clearly there not and seem to have a very Irish attitude in the way they do business.

Advertisement