Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft through door keyhole

• 07-10-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Quick question...

I've got a new front door installed in my house. I've noticed a considerable draft coming in through the keyholes regardless of which way the wind blows but obviously more when the wind is blowing straight into the door.
    I can feel the draft from within - maybe - an inch and a half from the keyhole.

Surely this isn't normal? Every other door(external) in the house is pretty much draft proof. I've rasied this with the supplier of the door and he said all keyholes let wind through. This might be the case but like i say, i've never seen a draft like this in any other door in my life!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

block it up with something that fits.....like a key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I always noticed the old style key holes which you can look through usually have a cover on them on the inside, is this to prevent this kind of draft? or people looking through.

the more modern locks which look more like a padlock, i can't imagine their being much draft through.

so maybe you could put a keyhole cover on it? The metal bit swivels around it etc and it doesn't effect you opening the door from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I always noticed the old style key holes which you can look through usually have a cover on them on the inside, is this to prevent this kind of draft? or people looking through.

the more modern locks which look more like a padlock, i can't imagine their being much draft through.

so maybe you could put a keyhole cover on it? The metal bit swivels around it etc and it doesn't effect you opening the door from the outside.

You mean a keyhole escutcheon? Not sure if this will work, but my original question was to do with the draft. As it's a new door i'd rather get the door man to fix it than me having too....might be a cheap auld door lock barrel he used.

Btw - it's a modern door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You mean a keyhole escutcheon?
    No I think Sid_Justice means a "key hole cover". Very common on old door ironmongery. I'm sure you can get them for modern contempory door.

Advertisement