Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A year in the life of a runner

Options
  • 07-10-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Well I have seen so many other guys on this forum set up the oul logs I said I would be a sheep an follow them on so......

I have been training for the marathon seriously for about 4/5 months but with injuries and different things I have only really gotten my training routine down in the last 6 weeks but I am happy with my progress and am looking a sub 4 hr marathon atm. So I have decided that I am going to set up a training log for the next year in the aim of running either the DCM again or the cork marathon later on in the year.

I think that my training goals are the next step here. I have run some PB's this year that I never thought I could do but now I have developed a love for running I want to build on this!!!

5 mile target: 33:59 PB 36.14 (Adidas 5 mile 2010)
    10km target: 41 mins PB 45:31 (An cosantoir 10km 2010)
    10 mile target: 70 mins
    HM Target: sub 1: 40 PB 1.43:29
    Marathon: Sub 3:37.30* (I am expecting to run it in about 3 hours 50 this year

*A good friend of mine ran that in their first marathon but I think its beyond me this year.

I think some of those times will be easier to hit than others but I would like to smash all of them within the next year.

An if anyone experienced at running ever looks at this blog, I am always open to suggestions of improving my training regime etc etc

Hope you guys enjoy :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I have run some PB's this year that I never thought I could do

Strange how that happens - how'd I do that ?!! Good luck with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the log and goals Perkina3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Sunday 10th October:

Went for a 10 mile LSR in the phoenix park on a beautiful evening. Ran with a friend and after the first mile we were pushing hard. The LSR was no more. Both of us stopped for our water break at 5 miles feeling fresh and full of running.

The second 5 miles was slower given the hilly terrain but still completed the 10 miles in 75 minutes which destroys my previous best over this distance of 84 minutes. Even had the energy for a sprint finish. Had not intended to run so hard but it felt right and I feel good this morning

Also 12 minutes of stretching. Sports massage booked for saturday :D

Tuesday 12th October:

Am working away from home atm so training is not the easiest atm. I went out for what was intended to be a nice and handy 4 miles but what turned into a hard run as my mate kept pushing the pace. Easily did 4.5 miles in 30 mins....

While I am quite please with this time, the last few runs before the marathon now are going to be nice and handy

Stretches 7 minutes - Hamstrings still tight but showed some signs of improvement after physio on Saturday evening.

October 13th:

A nice comfortable 5 mile run today done in bout 39 minutes. Needed to get out for 8 miles going by Hal higdons programme but the hours I am working are not being conducive to eating and running so I shortened it. Felt very comfortable though felt a niggle in my knee. Didn't stretch though feel good this morning. Tapering is going well for DCM 2010 though I also think Taper madness is beginning to kick in big style.

I now think I am getting a cold and worry bout phantom niggles that are appearing all over the shop.

• Advertisement

Marathon report from Perkina3:

I suppose I am going to start from the very start and basically I decided AI was going to do this marathon a year ago after I decided 6 weeks wasnt enough time to train for the marathon lol....

So a year ago I started running 4 km (with no running before...in fact I have had a whole lot of my friends say that I was the last person they could see doing the marathon...) Anyway move forward to the the 5 miler..... Funny thing was by this stage I had numerous injuries... missed about 4 months of training and ran the 5 miler..... did it in 36.15....I was absolutely delighted and thhought yeah I can actually do this!!!!

So moving forward to the sunday before the half marathon...... by this stage.... the longest I had ever run was 10 miles.... was no beingnning to think.....hmmmmm probably should get a long run in....so a friend of mine rang me and said perky....you want to go out for a long run in the park and I was like yeah lets go for it....went out and ran 16 miles in 2.20 or so with no gels and a little bit of water..... This was my first run in amonth and the longest I had done since the middle of july when I had run my 10 miles....

So onto the half marathon....I ran it with a mate and one of her mates and sure wasn't I dragged along to run a 1.43 half....I was dead chuffed and was like yeah I am going to be able to do this **** actually smile.gif....So after the half I did another 15 miler, 20 miler and then a 10 miler and began my tapering!!!! Obviously I had been doing my shorter runs as well but I got a severe dose of taper madness while working my 70 hour week being an account *don't go down that route.....tooo much work frown.gif*
    user_offline.gifquote.gif
    post_old.gif 31-10-2010, 13:17 #3517 Perkina3
    blue_star_2.gif

Adverts | Friends

Perkina3 - marathon day
    PART 2 - RACE DAY

Ok....Up at half 6.... no wait... Feck that I am sleeping in until 7.... turned over and went back to sleep.... I got up then and checked my gear for probably the 10th time that weekend.... I picked up my bag and stuffed myself with banana's, porridge, orange juice and toast... then into the taxi for half 7 and a taxi ride I thought would take 20 mins took bout 6/7 and there I was waiting for my buddies for 20 mins..... bad start to the morning....

Met my buddies at 08.00 and then we made our way down to the the baggage area where pictures were taken of my semi hairless legs....then it was rush to make the first area and see if we could put ourselfs as close to the 3.30 ballons as we could....

So the race began and I was keeping easily with the 3.30 ballon and I was delighted at how I was feeling....I was like this till mile 9 when literally the energy jus went from my legs...I dunno why cuz I was following my fuel strategy and water one too....

Still I ended up at 30km in decent shape at 2 hours 40 and well within my target time of 4 hours..... but then disaster hit....Had to drop the kids off.... didn't have an option cuz I had a limited timeframe so went straight for the apple green petrol station.... got over that little problem and started running again..... but nope that wasn't working.... my knee had seized up and I stumbled the next half mile.... At this stage I was beginning to get seriously frustrated..... I was now hobbling along at a snails pace and I could see the 4 hour pacer balloon coming ominously up on me and there was nothing I could do as it streamed past.... I then picked up a guy who was struggling and on the verge of quiting and puished him on until we hit 25 miles where I was met by one of my best mates who ran with me afor a couple 100 metres....at this stage I knew I was nearly there and I pushed on and staggered over the line in 4 hours 6 minutes....

Don't get me wrong I felt a serious sense of achievement to finish the marathon!!! but I was soo disappointed cuz it took me 86 mins for the last 12 km.... I was so frustrated!!!

Soooooooooo...... Me and the Dublin Marathon have some serious unfininshed business cuz I was well on my way to a 3.50 marathon up until mile 20!!!! frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good job on pushing through to finish. Yup, I know the mixed feelings - I have them myself ... but bottle any disappointment, work out what worked and what did not and next time out take the bottle out ... and use it to beat the living #$#@!! out the the next marathon ! And congratulations!

Advertisement