Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spend 300 odd euro- buy a turbo or Edge 500?

• 07-10-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Trying to decide which way to spend some cash I have come into, roughly 300 quid, and it's come down to either a turbo trainer or a Garmin or equivalent GPS device, probably not the 705, although I'd consider it.

I'm tempted by the turbo as a way to get in short intense training over the winter, especially as there's a new baby just about to land. I figure being able to get in an hour on the turbo will be easier than getting out for a couple of hours on the road. (Setting aside which I might actually prefer :D) My concern is that I won't actually use the thing after a while- that is the anecdotal impression I get from a few folk I've spoken to who have them. I have a spare back wheel that I could stick a turbo suitable tyre onto, which would minimise the hassle of using it for both road and turbo. Do folks here with turbos keep using them on an ongoing basis?

Option B, have been eyeing one of these up for a while, and I don't have a HRM, so that would be handy. I'd mainly be buying it for the HRM actually, and the ability to retrace routes in detail. I already use Runkeeper on my Android phone to track routes, but that's really just for logging them- it's not too accurate for pace, and doesn't stop tracking when you're not moving.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Turbos are fantastic for when babies arrive.

Up until a few months old they like the vibrations and it can help get them to sleep. However after 6-7 months they (well mine) became terrified of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

My 2c worth,people either love or hate trainers !!
    i am a very infrequent cyclist main excuse is time!! i bought a turbo last january and used it variably 3-4 times weekly 1/2hr to 1hr seesions till may.unfortunately i did very little cycling this summer the turbo is back in use this last week 5 sessions late evenings when not posssible to get out.iIconsidered a garmin but funds wouldn't allow both. personally i will get more from the turbo over the years than from a garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

mloc123 wrote: »

I like your thinking.

Off I go to research turbos and HRMs. I foresee my budget growing already.

BTW, anyone use a turbo outdoors regularly? The lack of a shed or suitable spare room will mean I'll be spinning out in the back yard, only concern is how that will work if it's raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lukester wrote: »
    BTW, anyone use a turbo outdoors regularly? The lack of a shed or suitable spare room will mean I'll be spinning out in the back yard, only concern is how that will work if it's raining.

I imagine you'll get wet.

What's wrong with all the other rooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Lumen wrote: »
    I imagine you'll get wet.

What's wrong with all the other rooms?

Me wet, fine, but turbo?

Other rooms are full, our house is small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Kitchen is the best place for the turbo !! get a cheaper HRM and bike mount for it and the best turbo you can buy more money you spend the quieter it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

You get the turbo wet its finished , it will end up sounding like an old drill

Advertisement