Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to pay for a Disabled Parking Badge?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hi

My Dad is currently in the processes of applying for a disabled parking badge. On the application form it says include ' €25 fee' when you are sending in the form.

He is receiving Invalidity Pension, so is on a very low income and €25 is a lot of money to him. He went to see the social welfare officer today to ask for help with paying the €25. She told him that "you definitely Don't have to pay for a disabled parking badge, they are free - nobody pays for them"

So, two conflicting answers. Does anyone here know for definite if they are free or if they are €25? Would be more inclined to believe what is written on the application form tbh

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Hi OP

I paid the €25 for my badge, and I know people have also paid it :(.

You should ring up the Irish Wheelchair Association and find out, because if you were told you dont have to pay for it, you shouldnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

They are €25 for the badge from the irish wheelchair association, you send the postal order with your applicaition form, if you are not accepted for the disabled parking badge then you get your money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I believe you don't actually have to pay for the badge, the money is for administration, materials and postage.....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I wouldn't mind paying the extra proposed cost if there was a genuine security benefit. The abuse of this scheme is disgraceful. I have been asked for a loan of my card so it can be photocopied, laminated and used. What I cannot get my head around is the gall some people have. I think disabled spaces are perceived by some to be a luxury and consequently to be abused whenever possible, if they can "get away" with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

I find them quiet strict about it all, i filled in my application form and gave them additional docs reports and all proof of my disability and i have trouble with all the right hand side of my body, esp my right arm and leg from nerve damage and they told me they very sorry but in order for me to get a parking pemit that i would have to have lost an arm and a leg, and i told them my arm is no use to me as it is etc etc and they said no sorry..,

i also have an implant for chronic pain and still no, but i know of a person who got the parking based just on the stimulator implant, strange old world we in!!!

I agree that they are quite strict about issuing the card. It's not the legitimate users who abuse the system it's people who do so illegally. I would try to appeal the decision if I were you.

Advertisement