Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Families considering emigrating to Australia

Options
  • 07-10-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Starting this Thread so as to get families considering emigrating talking and discussing all the complication involved with unrooting kids, pets and starting afresh. Employment & educational opportunities for skilled (documented) and skilled (undocumented) and just average work opportunities. Best places to move to and experiences relating to life in Oz.
    Lets discuss.:confused::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

I'm only at the starting line at the moment.

Waiting until the end of this month to see the new skills list that some states are bringing out.

With a bit of luck, 2012 is when I would be looking at. 3 of us + 1 dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just a word of caution that it may be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Things are looking a bit precarious over here on the economic front. I certainly wouldn't plan on buying a house here anytime soon. Just beware of the risk of the wheels coming off over here, I couldn't say how significant that risk is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funkducky

Well the wheels are certainly coming off over here in Ireland, don't imagine it could be any worse over there than here. I'm looking at heading early 2011, myself, wife, 2 kids and maybe 2 dogs. I'll leave the fish behind.

ballooba wrote: »
    Just a word of caution that it may be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Things are looking a bit precarious over here on the economic front. I certainly wouldn't plan on buying a house here anytime soon. Just beware of the risk of the wheels coming off over here, I couldn't say how significant that risk is.

What do you think will be the main cause, high influx of people etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We got our PR 175 this year after applying in 2008, we haven't managed to sell our house yet so we've just booked a trip to validate our visa for March next year. We thought when we applied we'd be out there within a year - they changed the process 3 times for our category (oh is a carpenter) and each time it either cost us months of time or a lot of hassle and money. Qld did sponsor us but for some reason we got a 175 instead of a 176, I'm not complaining though!

If you have kids you can't go on a WHV so independant skilled was the only way for us. With the visa fees, 2 sets of medicals for the 4 of us, and this trip so far we've invested more than €12,000. We still have to come back and either sell or rent out our house and then get back to Aus so thats probably another €10 - 15,000 at least on top of what we've spent.

I wouldn't advise anyone against going at all but be realistic about time, money and work - www.pomsinoz.com (visas and community), www.seek.com.au (jobs) and www.domain.com.au (homes) are a few for research starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

I understand Baloobas words of caution but lets state the facts as they are at the moment.

Ireland un-employment: 13% & rising.
    Oz: 5.5% & stable.

Ireland housing: - 30% + in the last year.
    Oz: +6% nationally in the last year.

Ireland weather: Overall trend upwards but overall Sh...
    Oz weather: Good but stable.

Cost of living: Ireland - Getting cheaper from years of rip off prices.
    Oz - Getting more expensive.

Mortgage Rates: Ireland: Very low
    Oz: Traditionally high, 4.5 at the moment

I was in the process of emigrating 2 years ago when things in Oz were starting to get a bit rough. If I listened to everybody who offered well-meaning advice without the facts, I would still be in Dublin. At the end of the day, it is a leap of faith but the benefits far outweigh the dis-advantages, in my opinion.
    I live in Adelaide. Things are good here. There are plenty of jobs. It is a beautiful city and state. There is only positive thinking and no negativity. The weather is fantastic most of the time. Housing is overpriced everywhere in Oz compared to what economists believe it should be and that is the main reason that there is a bit of concern of overheating. But the banks are conservative and profitable. There are no nutcase banks or huge debt like in Europe. And we have China and Asia and lots of natural resources.
    Most of all, I strongly believe that the opportunites this country will provide for my kids is 100 times greater than what would be provided at home where debt is going to hang over the country for at least a generation. Hey, come over, try it. If things don't work out, you can still go back. Better to try and experience than not try at all.

Hope this helps in a small way.

Best of luck to all.

I agree, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The famous saying" Nothing to fear but fear it's self".
    Just give it ago.

Does anybody know if there is an Australian equivalent of the Irish educate together school system?icon5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Hi, Myself, the wife and 2 kids (3yro boy and 1 yro girl) are just back from Perth, we went over last month to validate our visa's (skilled independant for me as a civil eng and the wife and kids as dependants). we were lucky that civil eng remained on the critical skills list through all the recent changes and we got residency 8 months after application.
    the whole process cost about €3500 including DIAC fees, medicals and various other bits. We didn't count the trip last month in to that which was another approx €3000 for flights.
    while i am currently working here my wages are now 50% of what they were 2 years ago and with my wife not working we are struggling to meet our mortgage repayments on a house worth 75% of what the mortgage is currently at!
    The plan is for me to move to Perth in Feb/Mar and the rest to follow over later in the year when i hopefully get sorted.
    We will try to ride out the storm in Oz and get citizenship for the kids and ourselves and take it from there. I think aussie citizenship is something the kids make thank us for in 20 years when Ireland starts into the next recession, seems to happen about every 20 years...
    We plan on renting out our house in Ireland which should cover about half the mortgage and insurances and top up the remainder with any spare cash we have in Oz.
    At times the thought of what uprooting the family will do to the OH (very close to her family) and the kids makes me sick but staying here will not be possible for much longer without throwing ourselves at the mercy of the banks and social welfare, good luck with that.
    Things have got to be better in Oz than here at moment, we have family in Perth with their own kids and none of them could imagine why, given the choice you wouldn't raise a family in Oz.
    am about to find out...
    The kids are small so won't really know any different after a few months so they should be ok. Assuming i get work on arrival the most challenging thing will be how the letting of the house goes.
    Well thats my 2 cents worth, anybody in a similar boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 zetor

i may have a job offer in assy,i am a fitter by trade and an employment agency is recruting in ireland with job prospects, i have a lot of details submitted including my references checked out, they were prompting me to apply for tasmania, the factory is meat plant and they are scattered alover aussy, i am 49my daughter is 20 in colledge in england ,my wife works in a deli, i am self employed at moment but only making peanuts, i have no morgage, own my own house , is it a good move ,i am pondering ,will i or wont i

• Advertisement

d.pop wrote: »
    Hi, Myself, the wife and 2 kids (3yro boy and 1 yro girl) are just back from Perth, we went over last month to validate our visa's (skilled independant for me as a civil eng and the wife and kids as dependants). we were lucky that civil eng remained on the critical skills list through all the recent changes and we got residency 8 months after application.
    the whole process cost about €3500 including DIAC fees, medicals and various other bits. We didn't count the trip last month in to that which was another approx €3000 for flights.
    while i am currently working here my wages are now 50% of what they were 2 years ago and with my wife not working we are struggling to meet our mortgage repayments on a house worth 75% of what the mortgage is currently at!
    The plan is for me to move to Perth in Feb/Mar and the rest to follow over later in the year when i hopefully get sorted.
    We will try to ride out the storm in Oz and get citizenship for the kids and ourselves and take it from there. I think aussie citizenship is something the kids make thank us for in 20 years when Ireland starts into the next recession, seems to happen about every 20 years...
    We plan on renting out our house in Ireland which should cover about half the mortgage and insurances and top up the remainder with any spare cash we have in Oz.
    At times the thought of what uprooting the family will do to the OH (very close to her family) and the kids makes me sick but staying here will not be possible for much longer without throwing ourselves at the mercy of the banks and social welfare, good luck with that.
    Things have got to be better in Oz than here at moment, we have family in Perth with their own kids and none of them could imagine why, given the choice you wouldn't raise a family in Oz.
    am about to find out...
    The kids are small so won't really know any different after a few months so they should be ok. Assuming i get work on arrival the most challenging thing will be how the letting of the house goes.
    Well thats my 2 cents worth, anybody in a similar boat?

Pretty much the same situation i'm looking at.

It would be a massive benefit for kids to have citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

zetor wrote: »
    i may have a job offer in assy,i am a fitter by trade and an employment agency is recruting in ireland with job prospects, i have a lot of details submitted including my references checked out, they were prompting me to apply for tasmania, the factory is meat plant and they are scattered alover aussy, i am 49my daughter is 20 in colledge in england ,my wife works in a deli, i am self employed at moment but only making peanuts, i have no morgage, own my own house , is it a good move ,i am pondering ,will i or wont i

Can you let me know who the agency is please.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Hi both myself and OH are qualified and experienced mediical scientists and are considering relocating to Australia as big tax hikes and bigger pay cuts loom large on the horizon-our jobs are on the current SOL-after that I dont really know where to start..any advice about the emigration proces and job situation vis a vis medical laboratory science would be greatly appreciated-would be bringing 2 small girls also....

daithi

Cipher wrote: »
    What do you think will be the main cause, high influx of people etc?
    Au contraire, the government has seriously cut back on migration.

There's been talk of a property bubble in Australia for over a decade without collapse but I don't see how they can overcome the current problems. The RBA is walking a tight rope trying to keep the show on the road.

Funkducky wrote: »
    Well the wheels are certainly coming off over here in Ireland, don't imagine it could be any worse over there than here. I'm looking at heading early 2011, myself, wife, 2 kids and maybe 2 dogs. I'll leave the fish behind.
    I'm just saying you should be aware of the risk of the exact same thing happening in Australia some time within ten to fifteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

ballooba wrote: »

i would say the risk is pretty low. there is enough natural resources here to keep things going for 100 years or more. Sure it might be cheaper to develop mines etc in South America but but there is a whole lot of other risks there. The only worry is that China's economy isnt sustainable and that the demand for Aus resources from China will naturally decrease (I think Rudd's super resources tax had this in mind trying to wean the country of the mining led boom). But the US, the rest of Asia and Europe wont stay down forever and the business case for green energy is still a long way off imo. Australia needs to invest more in infrastructure like the NBN but they have a very stable banking system that is properly regulated (they nearly got badly burned in a currency crisis sometime back and learned from it) so any Anglo based NAMA crash isnt likely. Like anywhere else there could be a run on their currency if the market got spooked but I'd be thinking this country is on the verge of a greater boom than the other way around.

Oz still has the option of implementing urban renewal if construction ever got slow. The population is young, mobile and increasing. I can see it linking more with Singapore, Hong Kong etc over the next few years. If I was pricing it up Id say for the Oz economy to keep growing would be heavily odds on for the next 10 years.

The main threat to the Australian economy in my opinion is it's housing bubble. The size of the resources sector pales in significance to the housing market. Australia has almost a Trillion dollars in external debt and even at current bumper resource prices only exports a total of about 100 Billion dollars of mineral resources per annum. This compares to several hundred billion in mortgage lending per annum. The high AUD is hurting the value of exports and Australia is having trouble raising housing finance externally. They need to raise interest rates which will further increase the value of the AUD, exacerbating the problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There are 2 things that could lead Australia into an economic recession. They are both internal and external. The housing bubble is due to burst in the next few years. It has happened the world over but not in Australia...yet! Externally, if something happened to China there could be trouble too, but lets face it, if China's growth slows down or even unthinkably goes into negative growth it would cause havoc around the world...so lets not go there. If you see pro-democracy protests and marches in Beijing be very afraid!!

The problem for Australia is to mitigate these looming issues. The housing bubble will burst but when and how bad will it be? China cannot continue to grow at the current pace so can Australia cope without being so reliant on its mineral exports?

The big danger though is a big external shock in China could trigger the housing crash and there would be 2 big holes in the economy to fix. But sure it's all about riding out the storm as the general long term outlook for Australia is still pretty good. You might be unlucky to come right before all this happens but if you get yourself work and settle down then 2-3 years down the road things should be rossey again!

Ireland's long term outlook at the mo is "FUBAR"

The key thing in my opinion would be to avoid the fatal mistake of getting into debt to buy Australian property. Either rent or buy well within your limits. 40% minimum equity would be my limit if someone put a gun to my head to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This is very true. Manage your debts. Buy according to your income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sprog085

Just checking out the possibilities of my husband 3 kids and myself emigrating "down under". What options are open to us if we have skills which are unfortunately not on the registered skills list? We are selling a business which would mean we would have capital going with us.
    Is there any hope of a job offer from Oz helping us to obtain a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sprog085 wrote: »
    Just checking out the possibilities of my husband 3 kids and myself emigrating "down under". What options are open to us if we have skills which are unfortunately not on the registered skills list? We are selling a business which would mean we would have capital going with us.
    Is there any hope of a job offer from Oz helping us to obtain a visa?

No chance of a PR visa, 457 visa is a maybe, but to find someone to sponsor you would be hard from Ireland, but since you haven't told us what you/he does we can't really comment, but even getting a 457 with a skilled listed occupation from Ireland is very hard (but not impossible)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

you can look at Business visa if you got spare $800,000 lying around.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=71543150

only temporary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 krisbecs

Am a single mum with 1 child (11 years old) up until mid 2009 worked in hospitality sector as reservations manager but experienced in all areas of hospitality. Retrained as a childcare worker and have FETAC level 6 major award Supervision in childcare (basically qualified as pre-school/creche teacher or manager) am working in a Special School as a SNA but on almost half the wage I had in 2009 gone from €30,000 to €16,000. Considering emigration to Oz or Canada. Not sure if I have enough qualifications as do not have a Degree. Can anyone recommend a visa agent or know the cost of using a visa agency and how much money required to have in bank on arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

krisbecs wrote: »
    Am a single mum with 1 child (11 years old) up until mid 2009 worked in hospitality sector as reservations manager but experienced in all areas of hospitality. Retrained as a childcare worker and have FETAC level 6 major award Supervision in childcare (basically qualified as pre-school/creche teacher or manager) am working in a Special School as a SNA but on almost half the wage I had in 2009 gone from €30,000 to €16,000. Considering emigration to Oz or Canada. Not sure if I have enough qualifications as do not have a Degree. Can anyone recommend a visa agent or know the cost of using a visa agency and how much money required to have in bank on arrival?

Try this regular poster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=435728

She is a registered MARA agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MechaMan

Hi guys im new here.

Just a few details and questions. Myself my wife and our 2 kids(Boy 3 and girl 1year) olds are considering immigrating to austraila in the next 14months.
    Im a qualified motor mechanic(also repair domestic appliances), since 2006 and my wife is qualified and has worked in travel. Im currently employed but on very poor wages and my wife is stay at home parent.

Wondering approx how much money would we need to get resisedncy in oz and getting there etc? We were there in 2007/2008 and would pereferably live in or near perth,melbourne or adelaide. We dont own our home or have no real ties here in ireland apart from family.
    Basically fed up working for peanuts here,crap weather and politicians giving themselves fat salaries and playing the private sector againist public:mad:. Divide and conquer as they say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 darylf

hi i am a 23 yr old male with a 23 yr old partner and 3 yr old child we are finding work oppurtunities difficult here in ireland at the moment and a considering emigrating to australia.

I currently have no qualifications at present but would be willing to undertake courses to open up job oppiortunities here and australia. i have mainly worked in sales and customer service among other jobs . i am happy to put my hand to anything that will pay a wage. I know its probably irrelavant but i do have a manual handling cert and a safe pas.

My partner on the other hand has a childcare fetac level 5 qualification, has paediatric first aid is currently undertaking a course in highscope (to do with how children should be allowed to play and do things in creche) and has also a cert for working with special needs children.

i would be grateful of any information in regards to this and what our options are and where to start for the both of us because i have no idea.

i dont know if this move would even be possible for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

darylf wrote: »
    hi i am a 23 yr old male with a 23 yr old partner and 3 yr old child we are finding work oppurtunities difficult here in ireland at the moment and a considering emigrating to australia.

I currently have no qualifications at present but would be willing to undertake courses to open up job oppiortunities here and australia. i have mainly worked in sales and customer service among other jobs . i am happy to put my hand to anything that will pay a wage. I know its probably irrelavant but i do have a manual handling cert and a safe pas.

My partner on the other hand has a childcare fetac level 5 qualification, has paediatric first aid is currently undertaking a course in highscope (to do with how children should be allowed to play and do things in creche) and has also a cert for working with special needs children.

i would be grateful of any information in regards to this and what our options are and where to start for the both of us because i have no idea.

i dont know if this move would even be possible for us.

To be honest your chances of getting a visa are very slim. A level 5 qualification would probably not be enough to enable you to apply for any skilled visa. Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage so without decent qualifications and experience it is very difficult to get a skilled visa. Your best bet would be to get in touch with a migration agent based in Ireland but I think you should probably look into other options/countries.

Advertisement