Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative xmas ideas

Options
  • 07-10-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

sorry for bringing this up so early on but im starting to make plans for a xmas for 2... we are boycotting both our familys this year as we just cant afford to buy gifts for all 20 of them. ideas for a fun, romantic xmas day for 2. ive already planned the meal....

starter
    seafood platter

main
    roast guinea fowl with stuffing, baton carrots, asparagus, spinach fried in butter. roasted butternut squash, roast parsnips, roast potatoes (roasted in goosefat)

desert
    havent decided yet but it will be yummy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It seems a shame to boycott just because you can't afford presents. Would you not suggest both families do a kris krindle so you've only one person in each family to buy for? I think everyone is feeling the pinch.

However having the day to yourselves does sound lovely too :)

Obviously not much will be open on the day, and if the weather is bad it'll be a case of staying in all day. Have a nice fire, your favourite movies, lots of your favourite food and a few games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

Myself and my boyfriend do this every other year- just us having a non- Christmas dinner. Goats cheese tart to start, duck for main and something chocolatey for dessert.

We generally try to get the majority of dinner prep (where possible) the night before. We wake up late, exchange pressies, have a nice cooked breakie. Phones are turned off, wine is in the fridge! Depending on the day, we may go for a walk on the beach. Generally we get into "loungey" clothes or jammies and watch box sets of DVDs. We start thinking of the DVDs now, and get them early to have them ready on the day.

It's the only day where you can think of nothing else but the people/ person you're with. Enjoy every minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

was thinking if weather is ok of driving to the beach for a walk with the dogs... if not we'll spend the day in... sitting in front of the fire with gifts for each other, may land down + visit family late evening for a few drinks. :)

cant do the present idea with our familys, they are way too competetive, can see it going badly wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I love to spend Christmas day at my own house (I live alone), I cook the whole dinner, put on a fire get really good wine and enjoy all the old movies on the box.
    It drives me mad that if I go to my home town I am expected to split myself in 3 between family there so easiest thing is stay home!

I think you shouldn't put any pressure on presents. Perhaps just buy for parents and say if you have any godchildren. Other than that how about making some truffles or biscuits and boxing them up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

was thinking if weather is ok of driving to the beach for a walk with the dogs... if not we'll spend the day in... sitting in front of the fire with gifts for each other, may land down + visit family late evening for a few drinks. :)

cant do the present idea with our familys, they are way too competetive, can see it going badly wrong. :rolleyes:

Christmas with family is all well and good when you get along great with everyone, but when you family is actually a bit of a pain to deal with, then I think you're perfectly entitled to have your own Christmas on your own terms - peace and quite, no complications. Visit them on Stephen's day if you need to :-)

I think your ideas sound nice :-) Probably would do the same if it was just the two of us :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

It seems a shame to boycott just because you can't afford presents. Would you not suggest both families do a kris krindle so you've only one person in each family to buy for? I think everyone is feeling the pinch.

However having the day to yourselves does sound lovely too :)

Obviously not much will be open on the day, and if the weather is bad it'll be a case of staying in all day. Have a nice fire, your favourite movies, lots of your favourite food and a few games!

Kris Krindle can have its own problems (even though its a great idea). Have done it on occasions before with family and issues I have encountered are the budget amount with people not agreeing with it and people not wanting to do it. Last year I made a hamper for my inlaws family as some of them still live at home, got little bits & pieces in the likes of Aldi & Lidl and a few other christmas touches. It saved a lot of money instead of buying individual presents & went down a treat.

We had dinner in our own house for the first time ever, just me & my Hubby and it was fantastic, no having to be at X house for a certain time etc etc, was able to just relax and chill out for the day , will be doing the same this year! :)

Advertisement