Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inline skates

Options
  • 07-10-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Guys, my 13 year old son is looking for Inline Skates, however the ones he seems drawn to are the more aggressive kind with no heel brakes on them. To me, these seem to be for advanced skaters....he's never used inline skates or roller blades before (although he has been skate boarding for about a year). Any advice on inline skates that he will be able to use (with brakes) that won't damage his "street cred" :P cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

let him get them. Trust me, im skating since 93/4, that brake came off the first week i had em. i've seen how people progress and kids these days have a wide variety of things to skate and proper, safe amenities to learn in.

If he follows the current trend (he no doubt will), he will grow out of those skates and the ones you got him will be useless, meaning he will want new ones. he wont really be able to skate the stuff his other friends are skating too.

Brakes have nothing to do with 'cred'. If i had a brake on my skates i'd probably kill myself because they get in the way. Not to mention if he falls back on it he can seriously hurt/impale himself on it. think about getting a pool cue in the side, i've seen it happen! People have this misconception that a brake is like a traning wheel on a bike, its far from it. to be frank, i have no idea why they are there, they are useless.

Where to start with what to buy really depends on what you budget is. i've had a range of skates in my time, and i felt the most confident/safe in USD Thrones.

Go to the sofd park, (www.skateparkofdublin.com / 01 8624638) and ask for frank, tell him ocker gave you the number. They sell a nice variety of skates in there, they also have the Thrones. They are also very reasonably priced. There are 3 different versions from what i remember, one of which is 150 (i think), which comes fully setup and is imo a FANTASTIC skate, that will do him for a long time as everything is changeable on them. Put it this way, that skate was around 8 years ago, and its still here today. Its as i said, my next skate also.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

TBH id avoid any with brakes.The brakes are absolute death traps :eek:

Advertisement