Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPU Usage 100%

• 07-10-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

CPU Usage is basically running at 90%-100% all the time... Laptop is really slow even when I have nothing open .. I have scanned for viruses .. Dick cleanup and Disk Frag did not change a thing.. System restore too a later date has not done anyting either.. What could it be? Ive unistalled most stuff on it also .. very little left on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Open up task manager, can you see any process hogging up your RAM there?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've seen both java and Firefox do this. As the previous poster says open task manager by pressing Control-shift-Esc and on the Processes tab click on the CPU Column to put them in order and end the process running at 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Vista, xp or seven? Check resource monitor and max cpu(blue line). See if its capped at a arbitrary number like 33%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

malwarebytes anti-malware free is what you need .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

CPU Usage is basically running at 90%-100% all the time... Laptop is really slow even when I have nothing open .. I have scanned for viruses .. Dick cleanup and Disk Frag did not change a thing.. System restore too a later date has not done anyting either.. What could it be? Ive unistalled most stuff on it also .. very little left on it.

Can't believe no one noticed this! :D

Have you gotten anywhere with this OP? I'd also recommend you install Ccleaner to fix any registry errors and any sluggish start up programs (depending on when the disk usage goes through the roof.....).

As mentioned earlier a full spec of the machine would come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Ha well spotted, it can never be too clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Vista, xp or seven? Check resource monitor and max cpu(blue line). See if its capped at a arbitrary number like 33%?

Could you elaborate on this?

BostonB wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this?

Vista and Windows Seven cap the proc at a arbitrary amount if the power settings are set to power saver or the fan is broken so as to stop excessive heat. This leads to high cpu usage on normal tasks as the proc is only ever working around 33% of its total power. It is made obvious by the maximum frequency part of the cpu field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No I'm not following that. Do you have link to this?

I'm not aware of it documented anywhere. Just seen it in work with people enabling power saving/balanced mode on their machines or with dead fans.

Here is a thread about it though.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/667217-cpu-stuck-39-maximum-frequency.html

Edit:Pic of offending graph

Second edit: Those threads annoy me. Dell Diagnostics do tell when the fan is dead if run correctly. Also fan noise is a pretty basic part of a laptop, you'd think you would notice it missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MR.VICE PRESIDENT

Haha.. Just noticed that.. Well guys still got the same problem .. um seems too not budge no matter what I do .. Have AVG installed and its scanned and has come up with nothing ... Windows 7 btw .. Fairly New laptop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

So what process is using all/most of the CPU time ? Could you post a screenshot ? (of TaskManager)

Advertisement