Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bastions, citadels etc.

• 07-10-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

The moderators can feel free to move this to History if they feel it will get a better response, but I will start here due to the subject matter.

I am at present compiling a list of possible sites for bastions, citadels, star-shaped forts etc. which were either built or planned to be built in the Dublin city and county areas. I have pinpointed a few possible sites but wonder if there is any military historian on here who may know of any? These were mainly a 17th and 18th century phenomena in the landscape.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interesting subject for a thread. I don't think anyone would object if you created a duplicate thread in History to widen your audience.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Interesting subject for a thread. I don't think anyone would object if you created a duplicate thread in History to widen your audience.

NTM

i posted there as well. Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

There's a brilliant military history (specializing in 17th and 18th century warfare) who may be able to help you.
    Also a former artillery officer so he'd know his stuff RE star shaped forts and so on. I've PMed you his email.

If you need further info, there's an excellent book on siege warfare and military history called Fire and Stone. Authors name is Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

There's a brilliant military history (specializing in 17th and 18th century warfare) who may be able to help you.
    Also a former artillery officer so he'd know his stuff RE star shaped forts and so on. I've PMed you his email.

If you need further info, there's an excellent book on siege warfare and military history called Fire and Stone. Authors name is Duffy.

I am aware of the historian. He has been helpful already, but thanks :)! I am pouring over the old maps at present and have identified a number of possibles going by streetscape. Also, Google earth has helped too.

Advertisement