Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Crash Alert

Options
  • 07-10-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just to warn you that I was driving down by Mountsackville last night when the car in front of me pulled up their hand-brake really suddenly for absolutely no good reason and I almost went into the back of them; luckily I slammed on the brakes just in the nick of time. The reason I'm posting it is that I've heard of gangs who prey on women drivers in particular trying to get them to crash into the back of them and then settle in cash. Why I'm so suspicious is: (a) Car drove off really quickly afterwards as if trying to get away from me, (b) We were on a straight part of the road with absolutely no other cars in sight or anything to cause them to suddenly stop, (c) I happened to notice there was a dent already in the back of their car that, if I'd crashed into them, I would have been hard-put to prove was already there. Unfortunately, car sped off before I could get it's license, but it started '99 D' and was a smallish type car, like maybe an old Ford Fiesta, in either green or orange (pretty sure it was green, but doubting myself).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We had a few of these reports on here about 2 years ago, generally around the Knockmaroon Hill area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

ABC99 wrote: »
    The reason I'm posting it is that I've heard of gangs who prey on women drivers in particular trying to get them to crash into the back of them and then settle in cash.

This part of it is an urban myth and is reported in many cities around the world. In these days of forensics most aspects of a crash can be worked out.

Yes they could be hoping someone will crash into them and then try an injury scam with an insurance company - they try it against any motorist not just those of the fairer sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

91011 wrote: »
    This part of it is an urban myth and is reported in many cities around the world. In these days of forensics most aspects of a crash can be worked out.

Yes they could be hoping someone will crash into them and then try an injury scam with an insurance company - they try it against any motorist not just those of the fairer sex.

I don't think it gets as far as forensics - they try make the person settle it there and then (which the person sometimes fall for so as to avoid it going to insurance).

Thanks for posting OP. Urban myth or not, good to be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

who is going to have a few hundred quid at the side of the road...simple..call the cops and tell them what they did? if the used the handbreak ona straight you will see the thread marks of the tyres..ask said driver why they broke suddenly ona straight? no explanation? sorry buddy you're nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

who is going to have a few hundred quid at the side of the road...simple..call the cops and tell them what they did? if the used the handbreak ona straight you will see the thread marks of the tyres..ask said driver why they broke suddenly ona straight? no explanation? sorry buddy you're nicked!

Yes of course you are right but in the panic of it all happening people fall for this scam and don't do the logical thing (as per your post).

They go to the atm give the scammer the money just to avoid it going on their insurance.

It's a scam and people do unfortunately fall for it.

But not us clever boardsies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

thanks for making us aware of this potential scam. As another poster said there, in the heat of the moment the driver behind could get flustered and be made to think it was their fault as their rational and logic gets sidelined by the immediate shock. While some might say this is an urban myth, there is no myth about there being 100s of scammers in Dublin who will seize any opportunity that arises so be wary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Thanks for your alert - Never thought they would try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

ABC99 wrote: »
    The reason I'm posting it is that I've heard of gangs who prey on women drivers in particular trying to get them to crash into the back of them and then settle in cash. .
    ongarboy wrote: »
    While some might say this is an urban myth,

Can anyone show any proof that this has happened in the way the OP is scaremongering?

Surely if its happening, someone would have reported it at some stage?

Ring Blanch garda station and ask if it has ever happened? - The answer will be NO. It has not happened & it does not happen it the way the OP has said.

Stupid scare stories like this are of no use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

yea cos blanch Garda Station are really going to tell you if this is happening! Get real the OP felt this was some scam and came on here to warn people. And i for thank them, perhaps if she had of ran into the back of him and got of the car out there she may not be with us today. Those things do happen even in Ireland!

Advertisement