Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCRS OBSOLETE?????

Options
  • 07-10-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

hi, i am new to this but could anyone help me...
    i am looking to buy a new vcr and have been looking for a couple of days now but they seem to have disappeared!!! i live in galway and if anyone knows where i can find one please help!!!

P.s. I realise you can buy a dvd/vcr combi in argos but really expensive and i am broke!!

Thanks in advance!! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

A VCR??? Move on - they are obsolete! :)

You will struggle to find one new. Best bet is probably eBay. I can't even find a new one on Amazon UK - and they sell everything!

Best bet is a PVR (personal video recorder) with a hard drive built in (such as Sky+). Or, one level down would be a DVD recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

ya ya thats what i was thinking. you see its for my parents who live in the country, no ntl or sky.. just rte 1, net2, tv3 and tg4! does a pvr need to be connected through upc or sky to view the epg and record progams later? or will it work just like a vcr and you input time to start recording?

The analog signal they are using now will be switched off at the end of 2011. If they don't want Sky, then I would advise waiting a few months to see what devices certified appear on the market which will work with the new "Saorview" (digital) system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Take a look at some websites like http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

You might find someone trying to offload an old one. I'm sure you'd get it for free.

Plenty 2nd hand on adverts.ie as well (€5 - €25).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

thanks guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lidl were selling them within the last year. Of course with Lidl, you have to keep your eyes open for when they next come up for sale - if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Power city had LG VCR machines recently and may still have them. I bought one and it has quite a decent spec.

Advertisement