Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panic attacks

• 07-10-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi everyone i suffer from anxiety attacks.i have suffered form these for about 2 years due to various helath and family problems i was wondering is there anyone else out there that suffers from this and would like to speak to me about it and how they cope with it. feel free to pm me thanks tongue.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Maybe try the Personal Issues forum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

shannonguy wrote: »
    hi everyone i suffer from anxiety attacks.i have suffered form these for about 2 years due to various helath and family problems i was wondering is there anyone else out there that suffers from this and would like to speak to me about it and how they cope with it. feel free to pm me thanks tongue.gif

These panic attacks are dreadful! People who have not experienced them are inclined to be dismissive " oh! pull yourself together you'll be o.k" I used to get them and each time each attack...when I sat down and tried to analyze what the f*ck was wrong with me? All I can say that I'm older and wiser (maybe) now and they no longer torment me. I wish you all the best. Feel free to contact me when you're feeling edgy

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Can't help but feel that the Clare Forum isn't the place for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

this guy's freaking out and the best you can do is tell him he's on the wrong forum? :confused:

you guys need to spend a few months cutting turf on a lonely bog

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

happytime wrote: »
    this guy's freaking out and the best you can do is tell him he's on the wrong forum? :confused:

you guys need to spend a few months cutting turf on a lonely bog

Happytime, in future please report posts that you feel are unsuitable, or if you think action needs to be taken on them.

For what it's worth, exioot was correct to mention the Personal Issues Forum.

The Long-term Illnesses forum could also be very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

The individual is searching for individualised REGIONAL based practical advice assistance which he is far more likely to find on this Forum.

This individual took the time to post on boards.ie with regard to what is a serious illness that he/she is suffering from; I would appeal to those on this thread to desist from negative or unhelpful comments with regard to this individual.

If said activity does not desist I will make a formal complaint to the management of this website with specific regard to these issues.

Mod Edit: this post has received a red card for Back-seat Moderating/Breach of Forum Charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I don't condone accusive replies, I know the mods have a job to do but it's difficult for those who haven't experienced this sickness to understand. You'd be surprised the comfort that can be had to know that anxiety disorder is not just some vague illness on a specific thread but that there are people close to home who probably go to the same shops as you, or know people you know that suffer from this. I can't explain why but as soon as I saw this topic on the Clare forum I felt really good, like a 'I don't feel alone' feeling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a good point, MyKeyG, and I appreciate it. I think there has been a misunderstanding with regards to what I said earlier. I recommended the Personal Issues Forum and the Long-term Illnesses Forum because I felt shannonguy might get more responses in those forums. They were meant to be complementary options, and not replacements.

I am very happy to leave this thread open as well, and I'm delighted that posters here are willing to chat about mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

That's a good point, MyKeyG, and I appreciate it. I think there has been a misunderstanding with regards to what I said earlier. I recommended the Personal Issues Forum and the Long-term Illnesses Forum because I felt shannonguy might get more responses in those forums. They were meant to be complementary options, and not replacements.

I am very happy to leave this thread open as well, and I'm delighted that posters here are willing to chat about mental health issues.
    Oh no I understood that perfectly well and you were more than fair in your suggestion. Thanks for leaving it open mate, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

shannonguy wrote: »
    Shannonguy, I had a close relative who suffered dreadfully from panic attacks everytime he had to give presentations in front of a large groups of business clients. He recommends a book by Christine Ingham called "Panic Attacks". The book is also available as an audiobook/download and it looks at what panic attacks are, why they happen and what you can do to deal with them. I hope this is of some help to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gerrimac

Hi, I used a book by Dr. Claire Weekes. Self Help for your Nerves. It is a very good book, easy to read and sensible and explains what happens and how to overcome the attacks. I have leant the book to several other people who also found it very helpful.
    It can be bought on Amazon.co.uk or Com.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

I am also a sufferer... I am in my final year in social care, wonder if this would be a good area to base my dissertation on? if so what could my topic/ question be for the paper. This would be a good way of finding out more.... or would I run out of words to write on subject????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I used to have them. I was dealing with two personal tragedies, as well as starting a new job in a new city.

I found a therapist. She prescribed an antidepressant and encouraged me to keep a journal and write everything I feel instead of keeping inside, feastering; pretending everything is fine. I'm no longer on meds but I still write when I feel anxious. I write when I feel the anxiety creeping up on me. For me, I feel so much better just gettting it out of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

The book mrsd mentioned is fantastic. Also cbt would be suitable. Many therapists will do low cost too if that's an issue. Iacp & IAHIP can recommend a fully qualified & accredited cbt therapist in your area. Good luck.

Advertisement