Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Monuments in Galway

Options
  • 07-10-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

I have an interest in monuments from yesteryear, does anyone know of any in Galway I could be missing out on.

I know of the Liam Mellows Statue
    The 1916 Statue in Oranmore (don't know if there's more to commemorate Galway's contribution to the Rising)
    The Hunger Strikers of 1981's plague beside the heart of Galway
    The Plaque commemorating a volunteer shot by black and tans on the long walk.

Anyone know anymore?
    Anyone think we need more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a plaque on the wall at the bottom of Dominic St, around the corner from the Apache pizza shop, that says something about some priest who was shot or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Yes, Justmary, that Plaque is on the footpath on sea road outside the house were Fr. Griffin lived.
    Hence this is how fr. griffin road got its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the fr Griffin monument in Bearna.

micheal walsh plaque on long walk behind the spannish arch (possibly removed by the developers).

red hugh plaue near the holy family in loch a tSaile (removed by the council ten years ago for some odd reason and never replaced.

drowning monument on annach Down pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

skelliser wrote: »
    Yes, Justmary, that Plaque is on the footpath on sea road outside the house were Fr. Griffin lived.

he was shot just below nile lodge and there is a monument there as well, beside kelly office supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

PomBear wrote: »
    The 1916 Statue in Oranmore (don't know if there's more to commemorate Galway's contribution to the Rising)

Did Galway contribute much to the Rising?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There is a plaque in the railway station (about half way down the platform)
    to the leaders of the 1916 Rising.

Or the "Sackville street disturbances" as a friend of mine calls it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

explains most of it in this first minute here. It was so small scale mostly because of the 3,000 rifles that were in the sea, if they had been successfully brought in, who knows how big it could have been

skelliser wrote: »

Nope, different one.

The one I'm thinking of is on the other side of Raven's Terrace from that, sort of ... hang on, I'll pinpoint it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.270596,-9.05738&spn=0.001755,0.005509&t=h&z=18&msid=105829947892211882597.0004920d8686a1b63b855

Fuinseog wrote: »
    drowning monument on annach Down pier.

where's annach down pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Father Griffen was apparently shot in the grounds of Lenaboy Castle, not down at Nile Lodge.

Where is the plaque to the huger strikers??

The only thing that happened it Galway City during the rebellion was a bit of a to do when the rebels tried to burn the Waithman family out of Merlin Castle, and then later after most of them had been rounded up, they burnt down the RIC barracks on Eglinton Street, the Naval Cadets building at the Docks and the Officers Quarters at Renmore Barracks, they didn't burn the RIC station on Dominic St, because they were afraid it would spread down the entire street.

There was a bit more action in the county, mainly centered around burning houses and RIC stations, coastguard stations and the orphanage in Clifd

• Advertisement

Where is the plaque to the huger strikers??
    Here:
    24g9lef.png

Streetview is so awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thats Thimble Castle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

JustMary wrote: »
    There's a plaque on the wall at the bottom of Dominic St, around the corner from the Apache pizza shop, that says something about some priest who was shot or somesuch.

There is actually a road in Galway called after that "some priest" - it is Father Griffin.

Also there is a plaque at the side of what is now Satzuma's (sp) right across the road from Griffins bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There is actually a road in Galway called after that "some priest" - it is Father Griffin.

Not to mention Seamus Quirke, Sean Mulvoy and Thomas Hynes Roads

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Fuinseog wrote: »
    he was shot just below nile lodge and there is a monument there as well, beside kelly office supplies

on an aside, where did Nile Lodge get its name? when the O'Hara clan were there? (just an curious blow in question!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    on an aside, where did Nile Lodge get its name? when the O'Hara clan were there? (just an curious blow in question!)

I can't remember off hand who, but it was built by some guy who spent time on the Nile. The inside of the house has a section built in the shape of a ship's hull.

The O'Hara family never lived in Nile Lodge, they lived in Lenaboy Castle and in West Lodge where the Galway Golf Club's clubhouse is now.

You're quite right about Nile Lodge, it was either a Commander or Surgeon in the Royal Navy and the inside of the house is laid out as it would be in a ship's quarters. The original family were apparently Lynch's but one of the Bodkin family who was a surgeon lived there for some time.
    Even more interestingly when the Estoria Cinema across the road was being demolished, they discovered a tunnel leading from Nile Lodge under the road and out in the direction of the sea........(gone now of course)

The O'Hara family never lived in Nile Lodge, they lived in Lenaboy Castle and in West Lodge where the Galway Golf Club's clubhouse is now.

You're quite right about Nile Lodge, it was either a Commander or Surgeon in the Royal Navy and the inside of the house is laid out as it would be in a ship's quarters. The original family were apparently Lynch's but one of the Bodkin family who was a surgeon lived there for some time.
    Even more interestingly when the Estoria Cinema across the road was being demolished, they discovered a tunnel leading from Nile Lodge under the road and out in the direction of the sea........(gone now of course)

Then it was owned by Semples and for the last good while by mcDermots, unless that family have recently sold it.

I think it's a fascinating looking house

churchview wrote: »
    I think it's a fascinating looking house

I'm aware we've rather wandered off the thread, but I agree it is a fantastic house, and is one of three sister houses in the city all with very slight deviations.

There other two are on Taylors Hill; Merville House, and St Helens

I'm aware we've rather wandered off the thread, but I agree it is a fantastic house, and is one of three sister houses in the city all with very slight deviations.

You're right - sorry OP

I never knew the connection with those two other houses and now that you mention it, they are extremely similar. I was in Merville a few weeks ago; beautiful home although I would have thought that Nile lodge looked bigger, but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Its not exactly a monument, but I wonder how many people don't know who Ceannt Station (the railway station) is named after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

To answer the second question posed by the OP:

No I don't think we need anymore!

While I'm all for commemorating Father Griffin and the likes who were killed by the Auxilieries and the Black and Tans without any basis other than they didn't like them, my stomach still turns when I see the monuments dotted around this country dedicated to men who ambushed and murdered members of the RIC and local landowners.

I found this site that has covered quite a spectrum of war memorials in the country with a few of them dedicated to the 1916-1923 period
    http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie

Where exactly is Nile Lodge? I've never quite managed to spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Streetview is so awesome

Irony that it be on a place that sells food..

JustMary wrote: »
    Where exactly is Nile Lodge? I've never quite managed to spot it.

It is opposite the Maxol station at the bottom of Taylors Hill looking in the direction of Peter Harkin Photography/Scoil Fhursa

http://www.tourismresources.ie/cht/nile2.htm

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Irony that it be on a place that sells food..

*sighs and facepalms*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

*sighs and facepalms*

Well if I can make one person sigh in disgust today I know I've done my job. I grew up around Headford. There's nothing commerative there but the church has bullet holes in the glass from the oul tans...the feckereens!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

there's a plaque in the square in Clarinbridge, I think it's to commemorate the attack on the RIC barracks, led by Englishman - Liam Mellows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hi,
    Have you any more info on this tunnel?
    PM if you do, so as to not take the topic on a tangent.

Advertisement