Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone start to Ai yet?

• 07-10-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

just served the first 4 suckler cows for next backend this morning, anyone else start yet or am i too early?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats very early in my book ... they would be calving 15 july:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

whelan1 wrote: »
    thats very early in my book ... they would be calving 15 july:eek:
    Yeah, I had 3 cows bulling in the past month. Have my own stock bull, but decided to hold them over till second half November for AI. Belgian blue:eek:
    That will be a first time for me.
    One is a big tall, long square white charolais currently rearing her first calf.
    Anyone recommend a BB for her.

Other one is 7 year old smaller but very square white charolais, currently rearing twins. They are not doing mighty. She has enough milk for one but not for two.
    Recommend me a BB for this one.

Appreciate input from the BB lads, as I have never dared go there in the past. Always use charolais. Lims on heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

i notice alot of the spring lads around here still have bulls in, whats up there like, did the fine weather all along thing they wer still in may and june or what :rolleyes:

coming from a dairy point of view i think its way too early for an 'autumn herd' to be calving in july. But if you do alot of your cows maybe its better thann spreading it all out, make things simpler??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

yes i have started on monday and have served 4 with the blue bull canadian club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    yes i have started on monday and have served 4 with the blue bull canadian club.

Would you not be worried about using a complete new bull like that, where there is no calving data available for him?
    (Ai Code - S970)

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Would you not be worried about using a complete new bull like that, where there is no calving data available for him?
    (Ai Code - S970)
    no i have no fear of blue bulls.even on heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

have to say he looks like a class animal! think i'l wait til i see some calving figures first would'nt use anything above 15% or so difficulty . served a heifer to fl22 a sfl bb on a once calved young cow,a s621 bb and a lry parthenais on the other 2.total mishmash:D what else u goin to use??

have to say he looks like a class animal! think i'l wait til i see some calving figures first would'nt use anything above 15% or so difficulty . served a heifer to fl22 a sfl bb on a once calved young cow,a s621 bb and a lry parthenais on the other 2.total mishmash:D what else u goin to use??
    sultan, fakir,canadian, barbier, giga, and harisson a little bit of everyones ass. cant wait for the first gigas i think they are due in jan must check my board in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

sultan, fakir,canadian, barbier, giga, and harisson a little bit of everyones ass. cant wait for the first gigas i think they are due in jan must check my board in the shed.
    jasus yeh let us know how they compare with each other.how much per straw are these? personally would'nt pay over the 14 each and deffinatly would need to be getting 15 or20 % free at that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 farmer1

Were putting the bull in with the heifers tomorrow. This is our first venture into autumn calving. Heifers will be slower to get back in calf anyway so think this is about the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Giga is not too hard calved,,fakir is best used on a smaller shapey cow i hear,i think that SFL is useless,easy calvin alrite but ya dont get the shape or power needed,doveas bulls ETNA and FANION look savage,for me BYU will take som beating

What do ye think of FHZ in NCBC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

fakir = FHZ

fakir = FHZ

Ya,
    FAKIR DE L'HEZ KERNAI

standing at NCBC

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

like to use him,but heard some terrible reports about him.
    might chance him on a muscly second calver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

there should be no summer calves or early autumn. We got a sickening here with summer calves , Sections and flies spreading infections around raw scars etc. A calf grows too big that time of year. Late Jan, Feb, March are ideal for calving. The calf is not too big and can be calved easier while there would be a picking of grass starting to help the cow come into milk. Imagine calving in sept or oct and having to feed silage and nuts to the cow to keep her in milk. And also have her on slats with her suck calf all ****e. Whats to be gained from autumnal calving except dairy men who want to have lactating cows 12 months of year?

Mr.Success wrote: »
    there should be no summer calves or early autumn. We got a sickening here with summer calves , Sections and flies spreading infections around raw scars etc. A calf grows too big that time of year. Late Jan, Feb, March are ideal for calving. The calf is not too big and can be calved easier while there would be a picking of grass starting to help the cow come into milk. Imagine calving in sept or oct and having to feed silage and nuts to the cow to keep her in milk. And also have her on slats with her suck calf all ****e. Whats to be gained from autumnal calving except dairy men who want to have lactating cows 12 months of year?
    oh my god where did this fellow crawl out of :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

there should be no summer calves or early autumn. We got a sickening here with summer calves , Sections and flies spreading infections around raw scars etc. A calf grows too big that time of year. Late Jan, Feb, March are ideal for calving. The calf is not too big and can be calved easier while there would be a picking of grass starting to help the cow come into milk.

Bare paddock with a feeder one end a water the other, and minerals somewhere in between!

Imagine calving in sept or oct and having to feed silage and nuts to the cow to keep her in milk. And also have her on slats with her suck calf all ****e.

Straw bedded Creep area?

Whats to be gained from autumnal calving except dairy men who want to have lactating cows 12 months of year?

Off the top of my head:
    Heavier weanlings at the peak of the weanling sales.
    Better utilisation of spring grass.
    Division of labour on larger herds.
    Easier to utilise AI.
    Better weather, longer days, warmer (usually!)

If you happen to be producing Ped bulls for sale, an autunm born bull is a good strong bull when the spring calving herds are looking for a bull.

I could be completly wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

i dont even have an autumn calving herd.
    whats all this fuss about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

oh my god where did this fellow crawl out of :confused:.

I was referring to the OPs original question of 'Is he too early?' The rest of ye went off on a tangent about different AI bulls, I'm sure there are other threads for that.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the OPs original question of 'Is he too early?' The rest of ye went off on a tangent about different AI bulls, I'm sure there are other threads for that.
    ok
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i spent a lot of time being outbid by another lad last autumn. he bought 32 of the finest heifers in a local mart to have calving in June. personally wouldnt agree, were trying to loose the june calves and push for sept on let the stragglers be at extreme latest march. Chatting to the same fellow and he reckoned the only calf was a june calf , mr success you said you wouldnt agree earlier with autumn calves so you prob answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spt88

i personnally dont like having heifers calving too early as they take alot of minding to keep them in milk especially muscley types. but i do think autumn born blues leave more money as blues always seem to make more in spring and summer months.

Advertisement