Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kite surfing - beginning on a board (fins question)

Options
  • 07-10-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have been kite surfing about 6 times but never on a board. We just took the board out of the plastic and its a bi-directional board. It comes with 4 fins and I'm wondering how they should be placed. I've looked at a few vids and most don't use fins. They are recommended for beginners tho.

Currently I have the board setup so that my leading foot is pointing more forward and the back foot is neutral. The fins are pointy ends in the direction I'm looking.

Is that setup ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi there Sniipe,

Not sure if there is a kitesurfing forum on boards.ie, but I'll help you anyway.

You have a bi-directional board, with 2 fins either end, that will work in both kitesurfing directions, or on both tacks, or to put it another way, natural or goofy.

There should be only 1 way to fit the fins.

On the straps, most set both straps up the same way, i.e. keep the board and straps symmetrical. You can set it up differently if you want to bias on one tack, such as when wave riding, speed runs, or just want to have fun trying stuff on one tack, and have the other tack for pushing upwind to do it all again.

Hope this helps...if you need any more help, email me at pearse@bigsurf.ie.

Regards,
    Pearse

ps - Sorry, I can't link you to pictures on this post to show you what I mean...I would do, but the forum mod's don't like this. And for the record, I run a watersports shop...I prefer to state this up front...advice is always free.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Sniipe wrote: »
    I have been kite surfing about 6 times but never on a board. We just took the board out of the plastic and its a bi-directional board. It comes with 4 fins and I'm wondering how they should be placed. I've looked at a few vids and most don't use fins. They are recommended for beginners tho.

Currently I have the board setup so that my leading foot is pointing more forward and the back foot is neutral. The fins are pointy ends in the direction I'm looking.

Is that setup ok?

you want the fins pointing fat end first away from each end of the board and straps approx 35degrees each

https://www.powerkitecentre.com/images/uploads/CrazyFly/CrazyFly-RockyProModel-2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 whitenoise

Sniipe wrote: »

Is that setup ok?

Hey Sniipe,

usually you would use fins, the only time fins aren't used is when you are riding on ramps and sliders.

The fins are usually setup the other way then the way you have them setup.

I see you're in Galway, there is kitesurfing community here in Galway

http://kitegalway.freeforums.org

if you want signup there, also there is www.kitesurfing.ie which is a huge forum dedicated to Irish kitesurfers.

I'm based in Galway myself, I'm the western representative For the Irish Kitesurfing Association (IKSA)

If you have any questions get in touch, either here or on one of the other forums I mentioned.

Fionn

PS.

Have you had any lessons or are you trying to pick it up on your own? the reason I ask is that Galway is not a very beginner friendly environment, ie: if you are out on your own or with people who have little or no experience is a recipe for disaster and either you or some stander-by is going to get hurt.
    Do you know the beaches that can kited upon and in what conditions they take?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dude get lessons kite surfing is an extreme sport in it's infancy and is dangerous if you don't know what work doing. Your post would tell of that you've not had lessons. Fionn has pointed you towards kitesurfing.ie that a good place to start.

Advertisement