Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what subjects are doable in a year ?

• 07-10-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hey just want to know what subjects are achievable in a year ? and can you do lcvp in a year ? is it a two year programme:):):) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It is a two year programme. Which is good for you because you don't have to waste your time on that impossible subject. No one in my year got the distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

If you are doing Physics then I'd say Applied maths.. Though for anyone not doing physics//higher maths it would be tough going getting it covered in a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Economics, Ag Science, Construction, Phys-Chem, Classical Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I would recommend geography. It's a really good subject for picking up points. I did it in one year for my leaving last June and I was less stressed about it than history which I had done for 2 years. If you want to do geography you'll have to sort out your field work though that's the only thing. I managed to do mine in school with the geography class and that was great. The best subject to do in a year is something that interests you personally and that you'll study on your own because you won't have written homework or deadlines from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I would say any subject is doable in a year if you are willing to put in the work. The subject that I think would be most doable in a year, however, is business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Honestly, I think it would be best, unless you really need it, to not bother. Doing an extra subject outside of school no matter what subject takes a lot of your time normally but since you only have one year to a do two year course. You would have to spend a lot of time and I really mean a lot of time, unless you have a really good aptitude for it. This will take away a lot from your other subject most likely. So it is probably a better idea just to study hard for the subjects you're already doing. It would probably be much easier and faster than learning a new subject and revising it by yourself.
    That said anything is possible though it's probably going to hurt all of your other subject quite a bit. To answer your question though, economics is a real short course but not one I would advise you to do alone, ag science is very straightforward but if your not a farmer or don't know much about that sort of stuff there's a lot to learn, geography is grand too I hear but quite a bit too learn. Also if you were considering doing lcvp which you can only get max 70 points from maybe you could just do ordinary level in one of those subjects and you might get an A and that's nearly as much points as lcvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I would recommend Business, I find it really easy and you can pretty much teach yourself it. It's one of those subjects that you don't even need to have done for JC, you can still pick it up. A lot of it is common sense and the course is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Business and economics.

Don't be fooled by the big curricular books. They're not that bad really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    If you are doing Physics then I'd say Applied maths.. Though for anyone not doing physics//higher maths it would be tough going getting it covered in a year!

I finished 9/10 of the applied maths course myself (Most people seem to do eight) in about 11 months, so that's possible.

I finished 9/10 of the applied maths course myself (Most people seem to do eight) in about 11 months, so that's possible.

I didn't say impossible..! ;) I just said if your not doing physics or higher math then it would be tough considering you'd have very little ground to work from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

My friends had a teacher and finished the course in 6 months. they were all good at maths though, they all did extremely well.

If you play an instrument or sing 50% of music is (generously) marked on practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    I didn't say impossible..! ;) I just said if your not doing physics or higher math then it would be tough considering you'd have very little ground to work from.

Well it's actually impossible to do AM without Higher Maths, even if your doing ordinary applied maths, and considering topics like statics, circular motion & SHM, and linear motion are very small aspects of the physics course and then whole topics on the applied maths course, I found that AM helped my physics alot more than the other way around.

But maybe that's just me. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Victoria. wrote: »
    I would recommend geography. It's a really good subject for picking up points. I did it in one year for my leaving last June and I was less stressed about it than history which I had done for 2 years. If you want to do geography you'll have to sort out your field work though that's the only thing. I managed to do mine in school with the geography class and that was great. The best subject to do in a year is something that interests you personally and that you'll study on your own because you won't have written homework or deadlines from school.

+1

Picked up geography in 6th year 2008/09. Got an A1, would highly recommend it. Get Dan Sheedy's revision book, has almost everything you need to know.

Well it's actually impossible to do AM without Higher Maths, even if your doing ordinary applied maths......

But maybe that's just me. :o

I do Applied maths out of school and this years teacher and last years teacher said that you don't need higher maths.. Just a B standard in ordinary! :p

Advertisement