Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord took 3300 Euro from account after moving out. Now is in receivership.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

the other thing to remember is that you are meant to be presented with a bill a minimum of 5 days before the dd is due to go out detailing the amount of the dd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Well OP, did you have any luck getting your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

ztoical wrote: »
    Looks like foolishness to me. I'm sorry OP but you need to take some of the responsibility here for not managing your own affairs. Why did you never check your account while away? Pretty much every Irish bank offers internet and 24 hour phone banking so there's no excuse for not taking 5 mins to check whats happening with your account while overseas. I could understand not noticing for one month but three? If you were gone for 9 months but the account was closed after 3 did your bank not try to contact you when it closed the account? Did you not update your address with them to your overseas address or have someone checking your mail while away?

Why would he have to checking his account? He didn't expect this to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Bob Z wrote: »
    Why would he have to checking his account? He didn't expect this to happen

Cus it's his account who else is going to check it. No one expects alot of things to happen with their accounts but even if an account isn't currently your main account you should still check it every now and then just to make sure someone hasn't fu*cked up with your money or stolen your idenity and spent all your money. I never said what happened was right or wrong but the OP has to take some responsibility for not looking after his own affairs. If a DD was taken out he should have recieved a letter in advance of the date it was to be taken and could have saved himself alot of agro had it been spotted then or worse after one month and you'd be cashing 1100 rather 3300 - still not great sure to have to chase your own money but still better then trying to get 3 + grand back. I've spent years working overseas and always make sure to update my info with my bank or if I'm not certain of my location/movements I switch to my mums address and give her the ok to open any letters from the bank in case something like this happens. Several years ago I went to the states and a month after going I saw a DD from NTL had gone out of my account even though I'd closed the account with them and cancelled the DD. Got on to them and the bank straight away and had it sorted.

It's unfortunate for the OP that the LL is in receivership but they shouldn't naming names or complaining about people being slow/uninterested to help him when he didn't check his own account for 9 months.

Advertisement