Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Reference

Options
  • 07-10-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Im need an academic reference for a graduate programme im applying to. I don't know any of my lecturers personally as my classes are all big and I've no tutorials. Does anyone know who to ask? Im thinking programme officer is the best option but again she wouldn't know me personally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Do you/have you submit(ted) any coursework for your classes? If so, then your lecturer will have a record of you, on paper at least.

Before contacting your lecturer you need to draw up an academic CV of all the courses you've done/are doing, including the grades and lecturer for each course. Also add in any club/society activities with which you've been involved and any relelvant work experience.

Then approach your lecturer, prerferably in person, informing them why you need the reference - specific course for which you're applying
    - where it is and what it is - and then ask them if they would mind acting as your referee. It would also be a good idea to explain that you don't have tutorials and that's why you're asking them.

I don't think a programme officer would be accepted as an academic referee as they don't actually teach you or grade your assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I had two classes last year that I did quite well in. I sent a very mannerly e-mail requesting that I use them and pointing out that I did well in their class.

Both lecturers were cool about it and more or less said "no problem, what do you want me to say?".

Advertisement