Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Bike

• 07-10-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for a BIKE please.

my budget is e150 to 350.

Aim is to lose weight with a view to getting fit & increasing distance cycled.

want something comfortable

would greatly appreciate your input & advice

Thanks

TimMac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Second hand road bike is probably best option on that budget with your aspirations on distance and comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Increase your budget a bit and you could be on one of these bad boys...

cervelo.jpg

Deadly for commuting, I should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

Most people would suggest going for a second hand bike at that price. I've never gone that route so I can't comment. What type of bike would you like? Road? Mountain Bike? Hybrid?

If you are interested in buying from halfords then This may be an option...at 375.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

http://http://www.yframediscounts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_76&products_id=1364Hi Tim,

I started cycling to work last June, bought a viking roma. about 280 pounds sterling.
    I'm not a competitive cyclist but I do about a 50k round trip.
    The bike is light, fast and comfortable, and seems to be good value.
    I wanted to get something more expensive on the bike to work scheme but the job didn't seem very secure at the time so i bought the viking as a stopgap and to be honest it's all the bike I need.

I did spend a bit extra on gatorskin tyres fairly early on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Thats a nice looking bike lad.
    How much?
    whats the spec?
    Where can I get one!!!
    ;)
    Raam wrote: »

cervelo.jpg

• Advertisement

I know feck all about bikes, it will be all road use I was thinking a hybrid with front suspension:confused:
    Most people would suggest going for a second hand bike at that price. I've never gone that route so I can't comment. What type of bike would you like? Road? Mountain Bike? Hybrid?

If you are interested in buying from halfords then This may be an option...at 375.

Thanks for putting up the link very helpful i have a viking nitrax mountain bike at the moment its grand but im looking for something better for road use
    yogipear wrote: »
    http://http://www.yframediscounts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_76&products_id=1364Hi Tim,

I started cycling to work last June, bought a viking roma. about 280 pounds sterling.
    I'm not a competitive cyclist but I do about a 50k round trip.
    The bike is light, fast and comfortable, and seems to be good value.
    I wanted to get something more expensive on the bike to work scheme but the job didn't seem very secure at the time so i bought the viking as a stopgap and to be honest it's all the bike I need.

I did spend a bit extra on gatorskin tyres fairly early on though.

Holy Sh1t I just googled it for that price I could get liposuction ha ha ha

cervelo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Fitness and comfort= hybrid. Your not gonna be burning up the hills on club spins but it'll get you to work/shop/mates house with speed and comfort and will allow you to cycle distance in comfort. If you go for a mountain bike you'll get a front sus which you dont need, a heavy frame which you dont want and big knobbly tires which will slow you down and with your budget wont be spec'ed enough to take it off road. If you get a racer you will lose some comfort but have a light bike that will serve you if you get into cycling for leisure/ hobby or want to give club / boards spins a go in the future.
    Bike prices are dictated by frame and component quality hence you can by a new bike for €100 that will break your heart and turn you off cycling or spend €300 on a good second hand 'starter' bike that will keep you coming back for more. Check out Adverts.ie to see a sample of whats out there.
    My advise is read up on the existing threads on which bike to buy, find out your frame size and due to your budget if at all possible go second hand and enjoy it!
    Cycling is a great way to get fit and lose weight but can be addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A Cervelo with girly-spoked Bontrager wheels? What the hell is wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    A Cervelo with girly-spoked Bontrager wheels? What the hell is wrong with you?

It's not my bloody bike. I'm running out of pictures of the R3 from google images.

Thanks
    the only thing is I can avail of the government cycle to work scheme if I buy new.

Fitness and comfort= hybrid. Your not gonna be burning up the hills on club spins but it'll get you to work/shop/mates house with speed and comfort and will allow you to cycle distance in comfort. If you go for a mountain bike you'll get a front sus which you dont need, a heavy frame which you dont want and big knobbly tires which will slow you down and with your budget wont be spec'ed enough to take it off road. If you get a racer you will lose some comfort but have a light bike that will serve you if you get into cycling for leisure/ hobby or want to give club / boards spins a go in the future.
    Bike prices are dictated by frame and component quality hence you can by a new bike for €100 that will break your heart and turn you off cycling or spend €300 on a good second hand 'starter' bike that will keep you coming back for more. Check out Adverts.ie to see a sample of whats out there.
    My advise is read up on the existing threads on which bike to buy, find out your frame size and due to your budget if at all possible go second hand and enjoy it!
    Cycling is a great way to get fit and lose weight but can be addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

TimMac wrote: »
    Thanks
    the only thing is I can avail of the government cycle to work scheme if I buy new.
    In that case get the moths outa your wallet and buy the Cervelo!!

You can do one of two things (keeping in mind if your budget is €350 then you can buy a €700ish bike)
    Buy a nice new bike with the cycle to work, for €7oo you'll get a decent enough one, or if you think you might 'get-into' cycling buy a cheap 2nd hand one see what you think and then blow the money on a nice new one using the cycle to work to get a bike you know will float your boat (be it road/mtb/hybrid/ city bike etc)
    The advantage in doing this is that as you can only use the scheme once every 5 years so you dont get 'stuck' with a bike you've out grown in one year. It does happen that people buy a road bike only to wish they had got a hybrid or people get a hybrid only to get interested in road biking.

Advertisement