Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel

Options
  • 07-10-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I have to say clonmel has to be the most borimg town in the country. Seriously, nearly everyone's gone and o'keeffe's is like a cattle mart, there is actually nothing to do there and nights out are going downhill incredibly fast !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

caroiline wrote: »
    I have to say clonmel has to be the most borimg town in the country.

You'll find plenty of disagreements there, nationwide.
    o'keeffe's is like a cattle mart,

Solution: Don't go there, go somewhere else.
    there is actually nothing to do there and nights out are going downhill incredibly fast !!!

You're judging the town on the basis of its nightlife, that's pretty much nonsensical and narrowminded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

its a nice town , but the people there are very odd, its known through out ireland for its clannishness and hostility...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I have to say clonmel has to be the most borimg town in the country. Seriously, nearly everyone's gone and o'keeffe's is like a cattle mart, there is actually nothing to do there and nights out are going downhill incredibly fast !!!

I dont know about the most boring town in the country although sometimes it can without doubt feel like that.

Shopping wise i dont think it'd very good, yes the showgrounds is there but i think its a bit of a white elephant. During the week the centre of the town seems dead.

Nightlife ya its not great but o'keeffes isnt the only pub in clonmel contrary to populer belief. Gleesons is good and has live music, what about phil carrols always a great atmosphere there. Muls, chawkes et al... Instead of going to O'keeffes why not try some of these pubs first and maybe end the night in the Posthouse often live music there and makes a change from the cattle mart that o'keeffes can be some times.

What about cinema, bowling alley or maybe a drive up the mountains.

Clonmel has its bad points, from lack of parking in the town, poor enough shopping, the clannishness, and a very large local skanger population. But many towns have these problems and have even a greater lack of choice for things to do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I dont know about the most boring town in the country although sometimes it can without doubt feel like that.

Shopping wise i dont think it'd very good, yes the showgrounds is there but i think its a bit of a white elephant. During the week the centre of the town seems dead.

Nightlife ya its not great but o'keeffes isnt the only pub in clonmel contrary to populer belief. Gleesons is good and has live music, what about phil carrols always a great atmosphere there. Muls, chawkes et al... Instead of going to O'keeffes why not try some of these pubs first and maybe end the night in the Posthouse often live music there and makes a change from the cattle mart that o'keeffes can be some times.

What about cinema, bowling alley or maybe a drive up the mountains.

Clonmel has its bad points, from lack of parking in the town, poor enough shopping, the clannishness, and a very large local skanger population. But many towns have these problems and have even a greater lack of choice for things to do.

With River Island, DV8 and Argos on the way to Clonmel, the shopping standards will be on par with Waterford so hopefully it should attract more people in from the surrounding towns to come shop here to help the town get busy again.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    With River Island, DV8 and Argos on the way to Clonmel, the shopping standards will be on par with Waterford so hopefully it should attract more people in from the surrounding towns to come shop here to help the town get busy again.

Hopefully it does help the town get busy again. River Island i believe plan on being opened for the 26th of November.

DV8 are going in at the old tesco site and a number of other shops alongside them. They are working away fitting it out at the moment don't know when it will open but i'd say it would be before christmas.

In regards to argos, when or where are they opening an outlet. It has being doing the rounds for months but i haven't heard any concrete proof as of yet.

The extra shops opening up are going to cause some parking problems. At the moment as everyone knows parking availability is not the best in the town and over the coming months the town is going to lose the suir Island car park as well as parking on much of the quays due to the flood relief works over the next 14 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

What shop is going in beside Dunnes?

River Island afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

As far as I'm concerned (and anyone I know) Clonmel is and always has been a dump. It's got nothing going for it.

The people there are horrible, and it's just a horrible feeling place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Isn't there another a thread on here about Clonmel somewhere almost exactly the same as this one,I'm getting a feeling of de ja vu,:confused:

As far as I'm concerned (and anyone I know) Clonmel is and always has been a dump. It's got nothing going for it.

Put the fcuking generalisations away would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm nice and I'm from Clonmel :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hopefully it does help the town get busy again. River Island i believe plan on being opened for the 26th of November.

DV8 are going in at the old tesco site and a number of other shops alongside them. They are working away fitting it out at the moment don't know when it will open but i'd say it would be before christmas.

In regards to argos, when or where are they opening an outlet. It has being doing the rounds for months but i haven't heard any concrete proof as of yet.

The extra shops opening up are going to cause some parking problems. At the moment as everyone knows parking availability is not the best in the town and over the coming months the town is going to lose the suir Island car park as well as parking on much of the quays due to the flood relief works over the next 14 months.

It has been doing the rounds for years and years, but a banner went up a few days ago down in the Showgrounds shopping centre that its coming there in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Have you met every man/woman/child that lives in Clonmel..If not how can you judge?...I bought a bag of apples last week.I found a bad one in it..using your logic,I should have thrown them all out?....If you are a drinker....Did you ever get a bad pint?...Did it stop you drinking forever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

your bang on , bud.. you have to be a part of some clique to be accepted by the people but your actually wrong about the town itself, its actually a fine town with plenty facilities etc

It has been doing the rounds for years and years, but a banner went up a few days ago down in the Showgrounds shopping centre that its coming there in 2011.

Good to hear must keep an eye out for it when i'm passing. Save me some trips to their Kilkenny outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

charlemont wrote: »
    your bang on , bud.. you have to be a part of some clique to be accepted by the people but your actually wrong about the town itself, its actually a fine town with plenty facilities etc

Clonmel is one of the nicest inland towns in Ireland. haven't noticed any hostility from the natives ( am from England, and spend some time there visiting relatives), but all irish small towns are cliquish.

( The guy who said that is from location: "Tipperary", so this could be a local spat).

Wouldnt live there, but pretty enough.

Clonmel is one of the nicest inland towns in Ireland. haven't noticed any hostility from the natives ( am from England, and spend some time there visiting relatives), but all irish small towns are cliquish.

( The guy who said that is from location: "Tipperary", so this could be a local spat).

Wouldnt live there, but pretty enough.

I dont know which poster you are referring too but fyi Clonmel is in Tipperary as is cashel, Nenagh et al... dont get how this is relevant unless a poster clearly states they are from Tipperary Town.

Anyway you say its the nicest inland town and is pretty enough but you say you wouldnt live in it. Out of interest why not?

I dont know which poster you are referring too but fyi Clonmel is in Tipperary as is cashel, Nenagh et al... dont get how this is relevant unless a poster clearly states they are from Tipperary Town.

Anyway you say its the nicest inland town and is pretty enough but you say you wouldnt live in it. Out of interest why not?

What I meant was stupidusername - who said Clonmel was cliquish- was from Tipperary ( county) so this could be an inter-county thing.

I live in England in a city of 1 million - prefer larger places tbh ( although not too large - dont like London where I work sometimes).

That may change as I get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I have to say Clonmel is a great place to live. There's lots of clubs to join and courses to do. Plenty of good pubs,restaurants and shops in the town. Fair enough the town can't compete with the big cities like Dublin and Cork but overall it's a fantastic place to live. People who say otherwise are usually the sort who like to sit at home in front of the tv for the evening rather than getting out and actually doing something productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

What I meant was stupidusername - who said Clonmel was cliquish- was from Tipperary ( county) so this could be an inter-county thing.

I live in England in a city of 1 million - prefer larger places tbh ( although not too large - dont like London where I work sometimes).

That may change as I get older.

Am, I didn't say it was cliquish. Look back over my post.

How, if I'm saying I live in Tipperary, could this be an inter-county thing? :confused::confused: Clonmel is in Tipperary still isn't it? :confused:

I live and am from a place near to Clonmel, and based on all the time I've been in Clonmel, gone out there, worked there, spent time there I don't like it. It has no life to it, it feels dirty, there's hardly nothing of things you'd want in it and most of the people there aren't nice.

• Advertisement

Am, I didn't say it was cliquish. Look back over my post.

How, if I'm saying I live in Tipperary, could this be an inter-county thing? :confused::confused: Clonmel is in Tipperary still isn't it? :confused:

I live and am from a place near to Clonmel, and based on all the time I've been in Clonmel, gone out there, worked there, spent time there I don't like it. It has no life to it, it feels dirty, there's hardly nothing of things you'd want in it and most of the people there aren't nice.

intra-county thing then. So basically you are from (near) Clonmel but dont like it. I would move were I you. It is basically your nearest town - want more, you should move to Cork or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Clonmel rocks, I have plenty of cousins there, its like my second home, and o'keefes is a great spot and Gleesons too. The princess is nice too if you want a quite drink or watch a match there with a few mates and the place wont be too packed but Lucy the bar maid is very nice and makes you feel welcome.

o'keefes is a great spot

:confused: I just dont get this. Yes i go there every now and then, but thats because thats where the group wants to hit. On a Saturday night it feels like a cattle mart and the third bar is just full of either underagers or skangers. Pints arent great either.

I take my hats off to them for the comedy/music club they have going there though, which is something that adds to the town.

and Gleesons too.

Now thats a good spot spent half my summer sundays down their for the music and free BBQ:)

I think there is room in the town for another nightclub if only higgins would let danno's out to somebody that knows how to run the place i.e. good music, No cover charge, strict on ID etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

From Clonmel myself, have to agree that it's a decent town but not mad about Clonmel people (Yes.. There are lots of exceptions), a lot of clannishness and what seems to be a higher percentage of scumbags than most other towns i've been in.

Nightlife is pretty crap there too, fair enough, there are lots of great pubs (Gleesons, Mulcahys), but when midnight comes around you're limited to just Okeeffes.. Maybe Posthouse if you're over 30 (Im 18 btw so naaah).
    And of course you have Danno's, which opens once in a blue moon!

Only us Irish could change a discussion from a town to pubs!

O' Keeffes is grand but I avoid the bars and go out the back. That said, I'm not mad about the place but it's where we go if we fancy a drink and some guys we don't normally see due to college, work are out there so it's good fun that ways. Avoid the bars. Regarding Higgins, I don't understand him, he'd be competiting by opening Dannos, I'm betting there's something up in there.

Also 'bout time they began to be strict on ID, place was like a creche from what I heard.

+1 on Gleesons. Class pub bar the odd idiotic rugby-head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

What do you mean by the word "clannish"?

By the way I agree that Clonmel is shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Clonmel isn't as nice a town physically as Dungarvan, Cashel or Waterford city but it's still a nice town (that could do with a bit more looking after) & it's certainly nicer than Thurles, Carrick or Tipp town. Like anywhere you'll meet mostly good people & the odd scummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Didn't see that banner in the showgrounds myself but I did think it odd about 2 months ago they had 2 pallets of Argos catalogues in the showgrounds.

julyjane wrote: »
    Didn't see that banner in the showgrounds myself but I did think it odd about 2 months ago they had 2 pallets of Argos catalogues in the showgrounds.

They also had reps on O'Connell street handing out catalogues that weekend. Cant remember exactly how long ago but it was during the summer on a Saturday i saw them doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

What a load of moany baloney. Sorry to be rude but you sound like one of those people who needs to live in a town in ireland that is really dull and boring to appreciate a good town. I hate people who run down a quality place without a doubt i know it is. Are you living there? I'm not from Clonmel but i know it's one of the nicest towns in Ireland and England coz i lived in both places and now i live in Limerick and it's cool and lovely there but i miss clonmel LOADS. Best shopping is in Clonmel, loads of places to browse and 5 charity shops if you love a bargain cd or stuff :) Best fish and chips at the mayfair restaurant, Wicked cinema, loads of internet cafes, great pubs, beautiful arcitechure and churches ah the list is endless. I know it has it rough e ones after a few too many drinks they cant handle but every town in ireland has that kind of bad reputation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement