Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

comeraghs wrote: »
    Clonmel isn't as nice a town physically as Dungarvan, Cashel or Waterford city but it's still a nice town (that could do with a bit more looking after) & it's certainly nicer than Thurles, Carrick or Tipp town. Like anywhere you'll meet mostly good people & the odd scummer!

Ah Carrick. Practically fills the "news" section in the Nationalist single-handedly with crime reports. Lovely job!

That said, I know a few people from Carrick and they're lovely.

Physically, Clonmel is sh!te, it's a ring road with a blob of town in the middle, but I don't see how Cashel is any better. One bloody rock and people think it's amazing. And seeing as you've mentioned Waterford, if you're looking for scumbags that's a prime place to start.

Thurles is starting to grow on me over time. It certainly has more charm than Clonmel has. Tipp's a kip (and I'm from just outside it) but it's no worse than any of the "nicer" places listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

Everyones entitled to their own oponion especially if you've lived in such a town and know exactly what it's like to live there.
    I'm from Thurles and it's a nice enough town but so boring coz it's really just one street up and one down kind of town. I'd have all the shops browsed in about 1 hour and what would i do then :D Clonmel is far better and nicer. Lots more character, Loads more shops, restaurants and everything compared to thurles. If i had a choice i'd rather live back in Clonmel any day, i love the place smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Physically, Clonmel is sh!te, it's a ring road with a blob of town in the middle, but I don't see how Cashel is any better. One bloody rock and people think it's amazing. And seeing as you've mentioned Waterford, if you're looking for scumbags that's a prime place to start.

You say 'physically', don't you mean infrastructure-wise? Physical would mean how it is and what it looks like. By your logic, of it being 'physical', Fermoy for example, is "sh!te" as it's a 'blob' of a town beside a river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Dubchild wrote: »
    Everyones entitled to their own oponion especially if you've lived in such a town and know exactly what it's like to live there.
    I'm from Thurles and it's a nice enough town but so boring coz it's really just one street up and one down kind of town. I'd have all the shops browsed in about 1 hour and what would i do then :D Clonmel is far better and nicer. Lots more character, Loads more shops, restaurants and everything compared to thurles. If i had a choice i'd rather live back in Clonmel any day, i love the place smile.gif

You have a serious boner for Clonmel. It's not that good, you seem to think it's like New York.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

0verblood wrote: »
    You have a serious boner for Clonmel. It's not that good, you seem to think it's like New York.

Well that poster was comparing Clonmel to Thurles, comparing it to Thurles would make it seem like New York! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Ya Clonmel is so crap its only got a huge tesco on the bypass, dunnes oakville with a variety of smaller shops on the same site, another huge dunnes on the Waterford road with a couple of shops, Marks and spencers with a number of shops and cafes, woodies, world of wonder,supervalue, sam mccauleys, a furniture store, kentucky, Park hotel which has live bands, ,aldi,lidl,dominos pizza,4 star pizza,tom skinnys pizza, 2 lyons take aways, mayfair take away, emmerald garden chinese restaurant and take away, several other chinese restaurants, a couple of indian restaurants, a lovely kebab shop in Irish town not to mention the crepe shop in Irishtown, somewhere in the region of 30 pubs, Okeffes also has live music and comedy nights, its not just a night club, live music in the post house with a late disco bar to the rear, loads of trad music nights in many pubs including Bakers and the railway bar, a snooker and games hall in Mulcahys.
    A huge selection of clothes shops to suit all budgets.
    I could name a lot of more places but Clonmel is so crap nobody would want to know.
    Now if you said Okeffes is a crap night club maybe a few people would of agreed with you!
    THERE IS LOADS TO SEE AND DO IN CLONMEL.

If you've lived there all your life and that's all you know then fair enough, i can see how you'd think it's great. It's like the tribes who have spent generations in the Amazon thinking that their village is the best but have never seen things like cities, electricity and cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If you've lived there all your life and that's all you know then fair enough, i can see how you'd think it's great. It's like the tribes who have spent generations in the Amazon thinking that their village is the best but have never seen things like cities, electricity and cars.

I have lived in Clonmel all my life and I do think its a great town, I know there are better places out there better, but not too many in Ireland and certianly not too many in the South East!

I have been to many countries over the last 10 years, I am not from Clonmel but choose to live here, Its a far cry from the tribes in the Amazon (there could be a few tribal warriors here), my point is the op based her post on 1 night out in the town, its got lots to offer regarding night life, dining , shopping etc.
    Its got some scumbags who try to run it down, but its got a lot of decent hard working people too.

• Advertisement

Clonmel is a great town..no shortage of good people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah, stop running the place down. I really like the town and have lots for friends from all walks of life there. The whole anti social behaviour thing is no different in any other town. Lots and lots of good people. Sure, lots of businesses have closed down but again that is happening in lots of places. I like it's location and it is not to much of a drive to get out for the day to Cork, Waterford or Kilkenny. I have to say though, as a basketball player, there are no open courts central to town to practice. (and I don't mean jumping a school fence). There should be some open courts or maybe even some other kind of hard surface areas for kiddie's cycling or to play tennis off a wall or for skaters (yes , I am aware of the minefield of insurance issues but surely there is some way). Even if they could arrange it down in the park across from the cemetary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geraid

Am, I didn't say it was cliquish. Look back over my post.

How, if I'm saying I live in Tipperary, could this be an inter-county thing? :confused::confused: Clonmel is in Tipperary still isn't it? :confused:

I live and am from a place near to Clonmel, and based on all the time I've been in Clonmel, gone out there, worked there, spent time there I don't like it. It has no life to it, it feels dirty, there's hardly nothing of things you'd want in it and most of the people there aren't nice.

you say it feels dirty well i suggest dat you check out yeterdays paper where de list of tidy towns list places clonmel in 6th place and jus 1 place out of the running to be selected as de tidy towns winner so if dats wat u call dirty den fair enuf and dares nearly 18 thousand people living in clonmel and you say most of them arent very nice well i totally disagree wit you there yes dare are some unpleasant people in the town but ya get dat in every town village and city in de world clonmel is mainly a very friendly town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ya Clonmel is so crap its only got a huge tesco on the bypass, dunnes oakville with a variety of smaller shops on the same site, another huge dunnes on the Waterford road with a couple of shops, Marks and spencers with a number of shops and cafes, woodies, world of wonder,supervalue, sam mccauleys, a furniture store, kentucky, Park hotel which has live bands, ,aldi,lidl,dominos pizza,4 star pizza,tom skinnys pizza, 2 lyons take aways, mayfair take away, emmerald garden chinese restaurant and take away, several other chinese restaurants, a couple of indian restaurants, a lovely kebab shop in Irish town not to mention the crepe shop in Irishtown, somewhere in the region of 30 pubs, Okeffes also has live music and comedy nights, its not just a night club, live music in the post house with a late disco bar to the rear, loads of trad music nights in many pubs including Bakers and the railway bar, a snooker and games hall in Mulcahys.
    A huge selection of clothes shops to suit all budgets.
    I could name a lot of more places but Clonmel is so crap nobody would want to know.
    Now if you said Okeffes is a crap night club maybe a few people would of agreed with you!
    THERE IS LOADS TO SEE AND DO IN CLONMEL.
    You can add Argos to that list now,on the way to m&S in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

tippspur wrote: »

River Island too...getting a nice plug in here for my most recent employers ;)

JamieK wrote: »
    River Island too...getting a nice plug in here for my most recent employers ;)

Isn't River Island already in Clonmel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I must admit I LIKE going out in Clonmel.

I always have a good laugh down there. I have loads of freinds down there too :)

try living in carlow for a while....u'll soon see how much bigger a cattlemart Dinn Ri & the foundry are.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Isn't River Island already in Clonmel?

Yes it is since the end of November but it just wasn't included in that long list of shops and amenities Clonmel has...just pointing it out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clonmelgirl

I lived in Clonmel all my life and all my family live there. I'm now living in London but if I got the chance to move back to Clonmel I would. I don't think anyone in Ireland (Especially "Stupidusername") would think the people from Clonmel and the town itself is horrible if they ever lived over here!!!! I actually lived in the Wilderness and some of you might know thats a "no go area" or known for "skanks and scumbags"
    (Infact everyone from there is actually really sound but I'm biased as I know them and was brought up with them I'm now 20) ---- and I would still rather live there then here in London and we have LOADS TO DO....Endless amount of pubs, clubs and things to do for all ages but the people are just not the same.

All counties in Ireland are full of friendly people (not just Clonmel) that's just how the Irish are...so Clonmel and the people or Clonmel aren't horrible....if you want to know "horrible" come live over here in the human Rat race!!! :pac:

tippspur wrote: »

There is also a fish and chip shop and a another clothes shop opening in the showgrounds soon. I noticed that the building where the vision store used to be has been sold recently, wonder whats going in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Its been sold for ages. When I say ages..I mean at least a year and a half. A lot of retail property in clonmel owned by people but lying idle on the back burner so to speak. Beats the hell out of me why.

So what's the general consensus? Has everybody agreed that it's a sh!thole? Anyways, those of you from Clonmel, don't worry it's not the worst town, Carrick on Suir is. Possibly the worst town in all of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

caroiline wrote: »
    I have to say clonmel has to be the most borimg town in the country. Seriously, nearly everyone's gone and o'keeffe's is like a cattle mart, there is actually nothing to do there and nights out are going downhill incredibly fast !!!

Ever been to Tipp Town?

So what's the general consensus? Has everybody agreed that it's a sh!thole?.

No. Did you read the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭KurtRussel

No. Did you read the thread?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

caroiline wrote: »
    I have to say clonmel has to be the most borimg town in the country. Seriously, nearly everyone's gone and o'keeffe's is like a cattle mart, there is actually nothing to do there and nights out are going downhill incredibly fast !!!

Just wondering why you did not post this on the Clonmel thread that's already well established. I would prefer to post my replies on that thread.
    Moderator please merge this with the established Clonmel thread.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Xenophile wrote: »
    Just wondering why you did not post this on the Clonmel thread that's already well established. I would prefer to post my replies on that thread.
    Moderator please merge this with the established Clonmel thread.

The Clonmel mega-thread was only started in 2011.

That post you quoted was made in 2010.

Figure it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Zombie Thread Closed

And folks, please pay attention to the post date when you are replying to a post, especially when it is a post from a poster who has not posted on Boards for over 18 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement